ImageImageImage

Jennings is expected to be ready at start of training camp

Moderators: Cowology, Snakebites, theBigLip, dVs33

AussieAsh13
Ballboy
And1: 2

Re: Jennings is expected to be ready at start of training camp 

Post#41 » by AussieAsh13 » Thu May 21, 2015 9:36 am

Maker_84 wrote:Jennings as a backup PG would be nice instant offense off the bench

This!

Initially I imagine him in like the Jamal Crawford type role for us off the bench, except with more playmaking. Like if he has the freedom to make his plays and do his thing, we'll have an excellent bench!
Easily one of the biggest Detroit Piston (and NBA) fans in Australia

"We just form a f***ing wall!" :banghead: - Stan 'The Man' Van Gundy
BadMofoPimp
RealGM
And1: 11,598

Post#42 » by BadMofoPimp » Thu May 21, 2015 12:22 pm

There will be times for 5-10mpg where BJ and Reggie will be on the court together. Now, that will be exciting.

Provin Ya'll Wrong!!!
Pharaoh
RealGM
And1: 4,565

Post#43 » by Pharaoh » Thu May 21, 2015 1:06 pm

I believe we can play RJ, BJ & KCP together for stretches

RJ defending the bigger guard, KCP defending the SF...

It all comes down to match ups and teams are going smaller and smaller these days
Kilo
RealGM
And1: 5,104

Post#44 » by Kilo » Thu May 21, 2015 1:29 pm

I guess I'm in the solid minority, but I hope Jennings is traded as soon as Stan gets a reasonably fair offer. Preferably it would come before training camp if Jennings can some how prove he's healthy or on an expedited right track. With the cap exploding his bird rights will be valueless, and he's an expiring - trade him to a team without a point guard for whatever they offer. I'd trade him straight up for the Lakers 2nd rounder (#34), but I bet folks here would hate that.
Weaver = Hinkie
VW to Portland :pray:
zeebneeb
RealGM
And1: 10,692

Post#45 » by zeebneeb » Thu May 21, 2015 2:18 pm

Kilo wrote:I guess I'm in the solid minority, but I hope Jennings is traded as soon as Stan gets a reasonably fair offer. Preferably it would come before training camp if Jennings can some how prove he's healthy or on an expedited right track. With the cap exploding his bird rights will be valueless, and he's an expiring - trade him to a team without a point guard for whatever they offer. I'd trade him straight up for the Lakers 2nd rounder (#34), but I bet folks here would hate that.
Why would be my first question. Why trade, what could be the best back up pg in the league, and an excellent pg rotation, for peanuts? Try it oit, see if it works.

A huge factor here, that a lot of people seem to be missing, is that Jennings may not come back 100% from this injury, and may be willing to be that backup.

I like a guard rotation right now,(reggie/Jennings pope/meeks) and if Pope ever really comes out of his shell, it could be excellent.

If he becomes a locker oomph problem, sure. But in a contract year, coming off an injury? He isn't that stupid. he'll keep his mouth shut, and play hard, to get another contract for sure.
russkopp
Analyst
And1: 1,043

Post#46 » by russkopp » Thu May 21, 2015 2:55 pm

Jennings comes off the bench if he's healthy and, unless it's a perfect fit, he'll be traded. Stan's first big move was signing Reggie and he won't have him come off the bench. If we can get anything for Jennings we have to take it, he was mocked around the league until that great stretch, add on the Achilles and he has to be moved if the offer is right.
Fire Troy Weaver
BadMofoPimp
RealGM
And1: 11,598

Post#47 » by BadMofoPimp » Thu May 21, 2015 3:29 pm

It all depends on how much Dimwiddle develops this offseason. If he takes the next step after a surprising good rookie season, then trade Jennings. Otherwise, might as well keep his expiring to have more money for the 2016 summer Free Agency.

Win Win Situation.

Provin Ya'll Wrong!!!
Billl
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,374

Post#48 » by Billl » Thu May 21, 2015 3:57 pm

I suspect Jennings is going to be a pretty bad bench player. For guy who struts around so much, he really has a fragile ego. When it's not going well for him, he loses confidence for weeks. If he has his head on straight and his confidence going, he certainly has the skills to be a bench gunner, but I just don't see him actually doing it.
theBigLip
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 2,762

Post#49 » by theBigLip » Thu May 21, 2015 4:05 pm

^^^^

This. From a talent perspective (assuming Jennings regains his game), I think RJ and Jennings (and Dinwiddie) is a great PG lineup to have. It all comes down to how well Jennings would handle a 6th man role.
dVs33
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 1,751

Post#50 » by dVs33 » Thu May 21, 2015 4:10 pm

Jennings knows it's a contract year, he wants to get paid.
If the team is winning and Jennings gets his minutes (which he should), he'll be fine in the locker room.
if the team is losing and he's still on the bench, then we'll have some issues.
Personally I'd love to keep him, but I think he's traded at the deadline.
Kilo
RealGM
And1: 5,104

Post#51 » by Kilo » Thu May 21, 2015 6:22 pm

zeebneeb wrote:
Kilo wrote:I guess I'm in the solid minority, but I hope Jennings is traded as soon as Stan gets a reasonably fair offer. Preferably it would come before training camp if Jennings can some how prove he's healthy or on an expedited right track. With the cap exploding his bird rights will be valueless, and he's an expiring - trade him to a team without a point guard for whatever they offer. I'd trade him straight up for the Lakers 2nd rounder (#34), but I bet folks here would hate that.
Why would be my first question. Why trade, what could be the best back up pg in the league, and an excellent pg rotation, for peanuts? Try it oit, see if it works.

A huge factor here, that a lot of people seem to be missing, is that Jennings may not come back 100% from this injury, and may be willing to be that backup.

I like a guard rotation right now,(reggie/Jennings pope/meeks) and if Pope ever really comes out of his shell, it could be excellent.

If he becomes a locker oomph problem, sure. But in a contract year, coming off an injury? He isn't that stupid. he'll keep his mouth shut, and play hard, to get another contract for sure.

I just don't believe the lockerroom is big enough for both Jackson and Jennings. Both have the alpha point dog mentality and both want it to be "their team". If we sign Reggie to a big money contract, the writing will be on the wall that it's Reggie's team, trade Jennings away and make it official and move forward with as little drama as possible to the season. Jennings wants a big contract, not just another one. He's going to want big minutes to show the league what he has got to offer, not 12-15 minutes a night backing up Jackson.
Weaver = Hinkie
VW to Portland :pray:
joedumars1
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,078

Post#52 » by joedumars1 » Thu May 21, 2015 7:13 pm

Kilo wrote:
zeebneeb wrote:

I just don't believe the lockerroom is big enough for both Jackson and Jennings. Both have the alpha point dog mentality and both want it to be "their team". If we sign Reggie to a big money contract, the writing will be on the wall that it's Reggie's team, trade Jennings away and make it official and move forward with as little drama as possible to the season. Jennings wants a big contract, not just another one. He's going to want big minutes to show the league what he has got to offer, not 12-15 minutes a night backing up Jackson.

12-15 minutes? If healthy, he will get 20-25, maybe more if he is hot. What would be more attractive to teams would be a Jennings that shows he is a teammate and will come off the bench as a 6th man with no qualms. Why can't Jennings and Jackson both be leaders? It never hurts to have leaders, Jennings just might have matured last year too.
dVs33
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons

Post#53 » by dVs33 » Thu May 21, 2015 7:17 pm

If SVG uses Jennings and reggie together for bursts, Jennings should be getting 25 to 30 minutes.
I could see SVG going small with KCP at SF a lot.
joedumars1
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,078

Post#54 » by joedumars1 » Thu May 21, 2015 7:31 pm

dVs33 wrote:If SVG uses Jennings and reggie together for bursts, Jennings should be getting 25 to 30 minutes.

It sems like teams are goinger smaller these days too.

It also seems like the PF position is getting smaller too, around 6ft 9. It also seems the PF these days aren't much of the banging type meaning post you up and bang, that is a reason I think Johnson could play some PF in spurts, if we drafted him. It's also a reason I think Porzingis could contribute 15-20 minutes per game this year if we drafted him, he won't have to worry about banging with many of the PF in the league.
dVs33
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons

Post#55 » by dVs33 » Thu May 21, 2015 8:46 pm

joedumars1 wrote:
dVs33 wrote:If SVG uses Jennings and reggie together for bursts, Jennings should be getting 25 to 30 minutes.

It sems like teams are goinger smaller these days too.

It also seems like the PF position is getting smaller too, around 6ft 9. It also seems the PF these days aren't much of the banging type meaning post you up and bang, that is a reason I think Johnson could play some PF in spurts, if we drafted him. It's also a reason I think Porzingis could contribute 15-20 minutes per game this year if we drafted him, he won't have to worry about banging with many of the PF in the league.

i like Johnson's size because it adds versatility, but i like the idea of having a big SF because the top SF's are bigger.
If Johnson can play some PF, great, but I would like SVG to sign a traditional PF if Monroe leaves.
I'm not a fan of a "stretch 4" starting.
tmorgan
RealGM
And1: 6,922

Post#56 » by tmorgan » Thu May 21, 2015 11:43 pm

We need to continue to crush teams on the glass. Drummond is the biggest part of that, of course, but Monroe was, too. If he's gone, our 4 can't be some wimp that gets dominated for boards -- one of the reasons I don't want Channing Frye (a deal discussed here and on the T&T board). At least Tolliver has some balls.
Montanabadboy
Junior
And1: 241

Post#57 » by Montanabadboy » Fri May 22, 2015 4:16 pm

tmorgan wrote:We need to continue to crush teams on the glass. Drummond is the biggest part of that, of course, but Monroe was, too. If he's gone, our 4 can't be some wimp that gets dominated for boards -- one of the reasons I don't want Channing Frye (a deal discussed here and on the T&T board). At least Tolliver has some balls.

I whole-heartedly agree with this. My biggest fear in losing Monroe is that our rebounding suffers, especially when Drummond is not on the floor. Monroe really is an outstanding rebounder and would (will?) be missed if for no other reason than that. I love crushing teams on the boards, and that was one of the things I've hated about this team for the previous 4 years, when we had Big Ben, we always won the battle of the boards.
Detroit vs. Everybody :lift: :lift: :lift:

Return to Detroit Pistons