ImageImageImage

Jennings is expected to be ready at start of training camp

Moderators: Cowology, Snakebites, theBigLip, dVs33

Laimbeer
RealGM
And1: 14,067

Jennings is expected to be ready at start of training camp 

Post#1 » by Laimbeer » Tue May 12, 2015 10:31 pm

Article is a couple of weeks old, sorry if it's been posted.

Pistons PG Brandon Jennings tweeted out a video of himself shooting.

"Progress," Jennings tweeted, as he showed the most recent milestone in his rehab from a torn Achilles that ended his 2014-15 season.

Jennings is expected to be ready at the start of training camp for next season.

http://fantasynews.cbssports.com/fantas ... lat-footed
princeofpalace
RealGM
And1: 1,636

Re: Jennings is expected to be ready at start of training camp 

Post#2 » by princeofpalace » Tue May 12, 2015 10:53 pm

Its good news, want to see Jennings and Jackson battle it out
Neptune
Starter
And1: 1,263

Post#3 » by Neptune » Tue May 12, 2015 11:38 pm

princeofpalace wrote:Its good news, want to see Jennings and Jackson battle it out

No need to battle it out, they'll start together if Jennings is healthy and hasn't lost a step.
dVs33
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 1,751

Post#4 » by dVs33 » Tue May 12, 2015 11:40 pm

princeofpalace wrote:Its good news, want to see Jennings and Jackson battle it out

Me too.
If jennings can get close to his previous form, that would be one helluva battle.
King Bugs
Sixth Man
And1: 307

Post#5 » by King Bugs » Wed May 13, 2015 12:03 am

For some reason, I think not choosing one or the other between Jackson (assuming we bring him back) and Jennings (assuming he's not traded) will be a problem. Someone's ego is going to be bruised and it WILL impact the team negatively.

Jackson and Jennings both have reputations as sulkers when things don't go their way, so we need to choose our guy to avoid weird rotation logjams, undefined roles, players stepping on each others toes, and we're not wasting a 1/3 of the season "finding our way" or until one of them gets injured. After this past season's debacle with Josh Smith and Monore, I don't want anymore confusion.

Unless.... they find a way to start together and make that work, then everything I typed is irrelevant. That might be optimistic though, those 2 need the ball a lot to maximize their effectiveness.
joedumars1
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,078

Post#6 » by joedumars1 » Wed May 13, 2015 12:08 am

Jackson is going start, assuming we do re sign him. It will be fun to see how the games work out when Jennings is on fire tho
Laimbeer
RealGM
And1: 14,067

Post#7 » by Laimbeer » Wed May 13, 2015 12:23 am

It will be sort of a Teague/Schroder type of thing. Jackson will start, Jennings will be the sixth man, and they will play together in spots. Assuming we don't trade Brandon. That would be a lot of money tied up at one position.
MrBigShot
RealGM
And1: 17,074

Post#8 » by MrBigShot » Wed May 13, 2015 1:04 am

If they're both healthy I think SVG likely starts them both. Not a fan of placing Reggie at SG because he'll have less of an advantage in terms of size/length, and they're both ball dominant players. But it could work decently.

Or, preferably, KCP could finally become more consistent and become the SG we've seen on numerous occasions this season.
"They say you miss 100% of the shots you take" - Mike James
joedumars1
Lead Assistant

Post#9 » by joedumars1 » Wed May 13, 2015 1:26 am

MrBigShot wrote:If they're both healthy I think SVG likely starts them both. Not a fan of placing Reggie at SG because he'll have less of an advantage in terms of size/length, and they're both ball dominant players. But it could work decently.

Or, preferably, KCP could finally become more consistent and become the SG we've seen on numerous occasions this season.

No way both start, KCP can D up, hopefully become more consistent too. They might see 5-10 minutes a game together, but idk
MotownMadness
RealGM
And1: 21,884

Post#10 » by MotownMadness » Wed May 13, 2015 2:26 am

I'm taking Jackson over Jennings 10/10
dVs33
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 1,751

Post#11 » by dVs33 » Wed May 13, 2015 2:34 am

If Jackson is resigned, SVG should bring jennings off he bench until he gets back into shape. if it works out, bring him back, if not he'll leave in FA. Jennings would still get his minutes and I could see them playing alongside each other for a few minutes each game.
Shady_
Junior
And1: 521

Post#12 » by Shady_ » Wed May 13, 2015 3:30 am

Jennings will come off the bench and will probably be given a little more freedom to shoot more since he's coming off the bench with the 2nd unit. Then eventually i see him maybe getting traded either in late December, January or at the trade deadline, if not then he'll leave in FA.
DETermination
RealGM
And1: 6,818

Post#13 » by DETermination » Wed May 13, 2015 10:44 am

I still expect him to be traded. And if he is ready by training camp then it will be even easier to trade him.
Detroit vs Everybody
Pharaoh
RealGM
And1: 4,565

Post#14 » by Pharaoh » Wed May 13, 2015 1:31 pm

I expect Jennings to be let go after this coming season.

Jackson will be the starter & Dinwiddie the back up. SVG has shown he can grab a reasonable PG off the scrap heap and plug in so I can't see him wanting to retain Jennings unless he really comes back with a vengeance
Redeemed
Sixth Man
And1: 419

Post#15 » by Redeemed » Wed May 13, 2015 2:22 pm

This is great news for Jennings and potentially great news for the Pistons. The competition at the pg position to should be exciting and the parody should be interesting.

Jackson going into the offseason healthy needs to capture a full understanding of the playbook and improve his range.

Jennings will have to work on muscle memory and somehow come up with a way to be both effective and efficient without the full complement of his impressive speed. I'd like to see him learn to penetrate if for no other reason than to put the defense on its heels as he sets up other players.

Dinwiddie's main to do item is conditioning. He needs to get stronger and more explosive. His conditioning will help him regain his shot.

Potential Jackson/Jennings backcourt: I'm concerned that it will look like the Monta Ellis/Brandon Jennings backcourt, not much value together...much better apart.
Snakebites
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 14,772

Post#16 » by Snakebites » Wed May 13, 2015 3:31 pm

It will have zero impact on our decision to sign Reggie Jackson, which means of course that it is good news. I'm not sure there will be a battle, but its certainly possible they could explore playing them together and see how that goes.

Having more depth and more options is never a bad thing. I agree that he could be traded though.
sfballa13
Assistant Coach
And1: 928

Post#17 » by sfballa13 » Wed May 13, 2015 4:16 pm

Keeping Jennings = keeping Smith

Hopefully SVG learns from his biggest mistake as Pistons GM and trades Jennings before the season starts

We need to start fresh with the right attitude not in the midst of a PG battle. Jackson and Jennings are two immature idiots. Put doubt in their mind about the starting spot, tempers will flare, and team chemistry will suffer.

Not to mention Jennings is in a contract year fighting for his next deal. You think he is gonna be ok with playing limited minutes off the bench? Keep dreaming.

What if Jennings outplays Jackson? You think Jackson will be happy coming off the bench after getting a big deal and being promised a starting position? Reggie was upset after OKC offered him 12M a year to back up Westbrook, arguably a top 5 PG in the NBA.

Jennings needs to be traded even if it is a pure salary dump. At least we can use his 9M to get 1-2 solid role players for the coming season.

Jennings for Jordan Hill remains a solid deal for both teams and hopefully it will happen before the start of next season
zeebneeb
RealGM
And1: 10,706

Post#18 » by zeebneeb » Wed May 13, 2015 4:28 pm

Why not both? If (huge if of course)Jennings can accept a role off the bench, our PG rotation would be fantastic. Having two starting pg's, and different looks, with no drop off, is a dream of every team.
hoophabit
Analyst
And1: 1,350

Post#19 » by hoophabit » Wed May 13, 2015 7:06 pm

I just don't see an early trade for Jennings unless he is making himself a problem, and with this being the final year of his contract he has every reason not to do that. Both Jennings and Jackson are at the point of their careers where they should be maturing a bit. Jennings was a good teammate last season, even when Stan went to Augustin for extended periods. Jackson made a lot of people upset with his insistence on a trade from OKC, but it took a while for it to reach that point. The best thing for Jennings is to come back and play well in more limited minutes, and for the team to do well. He's probably going to be traded at some point. Jackson's size, length, and seemingly better connection with Drummond makes it seem like he has the inside track.
joedumars1
Lead Assistant

Post#20 » by joedumars1 » Wed May 13, 2015 7:39 pm

sfballa13 wrote:Keeping Jennings = keeping Smith

Hopefully SVG learns from his biggest mistake as Pistons GM and trades Jennings before the season starts

We need to start fresh with the right attitude not in the midst of a PG battle. Jackson and Jennings are two immature idiots. Put doubt in their mind about the starting spot, tempers will flare, and team chemistry will suffer.

Not to mention Jennings is in a contract year fighting for his next deal. You think he is gonna be ok with playing limited minutes off the bench? Keep dreaming.

What if Jennings outplays Jackson? You think Jackson will be happy coming off the bench after getting a big deal and being promised a starting position? Reggie was upset after OKC offered him 12M a year to back up Westbrook, arguably a top 5 PG in the NBA.

Jennings needs to be traded even if it is a pure salary dump. At least we can use his 9M to get 1-2 solid role players for the coming season.

Jennings for Jordan Hill remains a solid deal for both teams and hopefully it will happen before the start of next season

Jennings is on the last year of his deal. Why wouln't he want to accept the 6th man role and show teams, he isn't a selfish teammate and can do what is best for the team? Heck he might even end up liking the 6th man role and become one. If he shows to be a pouty baby (doubtful) then why would teams want to pay him? He still hasn't had a big payday yet, not sure he will ever get a big one.

Return to Detroit Pistons