ImageImageImage

Can Bower/SVG draft as well as Dumars?

Moderators: Cowology, Snakebites, theBigLip, dVs33

DBC10
General Manager
And1: 2,799

Re: Can Bower/SVG draft as well as Dumars? 

Post#21 » by DBC10 » Wed May 20, 2015 6:44 pm

Dumars could draft, but a lot of the talent he did draft, ended up flourishing after they were away from our organization.

He just didn't have the patience to see how his picks would play out, which is obviously short-sighted and why we''ve been terrible the last 6 years.
DetroitSho
Head Coach
And1: 2,165

Post#22 » by DetroitSho » Wed May 20, 2015 8:11 pm

kamal2_espn wrote:
theBigLip wrote:I'm intrigued more than I'm worried. As much as I hated Dumars' trades and FA signings, his drafting was pretty solid except for that Darko thing. We should just get a top 3 and I don't think we can f--k up.

Just Darko? Mateen Cleaves and Rodney White were pretty bad picks too.

Kenyon Martin on a broken leg was the 1st overall pick in the Mateen Cleaves draft and Kwame Brown was #1 when White was drafted, just to give perspective on the relative talent level of those drafts.
kamal2_espn
Sophomore
And1: 43

Post#23 » by kamal2_espn » Wed May 20, 2015 8:45 pm

DetroitSho wrote:
kamal2_espn wrote:
theBigLip wrote:I'm intrigued more than I'm worried. As much as I hated Dumars' trades and FA signings, his drafting was pretty solid except for that Darko thing. We should just get a top 3 and I don't think we can f--k up.

Just Darko? Mateen Cleaves and Rodney White were pretty bad picks too.

Kenyon Martin on a broken leg was the 1st overall pick in the Mateen Cleaves draft and Kwame Brown was #1 when White was drafted, just to give perspective on the relative talent level of those drafts.

Joe Johnson went the very next pick after Rodney White.

As for Cleaves, I admit. That was a bad draft. But there were some solid pros available when Joe picked Cleaves - Turkoglu, Q Richardson, Mo Pete, Magloire. Hell, even Speedy Claxton would've been a better pick.
hoophabit
Analyst
And1: 1,350

Post#24 » by hoophabit » Wed May 20, 2015 8:58 pm

Lots of picks don't work out. That's why I keep saying that the draft is a crap shoot except for those rare, truly transcendent talents. Cleaves is an excellent example of how, while physical talent isn't the only indicator of success, there is a basic level that's necessary to cut it in the league.
Ghost
Bench Warmer
And1: 509

Post#25 » by Ghost » Wed May 20, 2015 9:29 pm

I didn't know of Dinwiddie when he was picked, but I was happy after I seen how he played. I guess now we'll see what happens at the top of a draft. I think SVG will know what he's doing and what he's looking for. I'm very excited. Of course, it'll take time to see how it plays out.
Warspite
RealGM
And1: 1,099

Re: Re: Can Bower/SVG draft as well as Dumars? 

Post#26 » by Warspite » Thu May 21, 2015 3:05 am

Lionlifer wrote:
Pharaoh wrote:
Warspite wrote:I believe its more valuable that SVG knows the type of player he wants to fit into the system/team. Dumars never had a system or vision to draft into since his coaches were a train wreck. Most of the time Dumars was picking BPA and even though he hit with more talent way to often that talent was traded to help someone else.

THIS!

SVG has employed more scouts than most (google it) & as an organization we're looking for specific tools.

People claim Joe drafted well. Drummond, Monroe and even Knight to some extent were the obvious choices at the time - doesn't take a genius to make that call

True, but Afflalo, Middleton, Maxiell, and Prince were all solid picks later in the draft. Dude could draft, no doubt. It's just the ROI on a lot of our picks was crap sadly

Yes they were but they were traded away because of fit. I don't see SVG going out and extending a Rip, trading for AI with Affalo who was the better player being paid 500k.

When you draft BPA you end up trading prospects for fit purposes and those prospects can make you look like an idiot when they mature.
HomoSapien wrote:Warspite, the greatest poster in the history of realgm.

Return to Detroit Pistons