ImageImageImage

Welcome to Detroit - 8th Pick Stanley Johnson

Moderators: Cowology, Snakebites, theBigLip, dVs33

Bakuto
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,301

Re: 8th Pick Stanley Johnson. Meltdown awaits 

Post#241 » by Bakuto » Fri Jun 26, 2015 5:12 pm

Purposely avoided the board last night because I knew many of you would snap at SVG taking Johnson over Winslow. I'm shocked at the lack of loyalty towards Stan haha. Winslow is a stuck up prick who lets his mouth talk more than his game. We got the much better person who actually wanted to play for us, not some guy who was too cool for the Pistons.
Kobe System wrote:I won't touch Drummond's contract. I'd rather have Deng and Mozgov's contract tbh.

Collymore wrote:Jay Tatum is a better prospect than Lebron James was at his age.

:noway:
Montanabadboy
Junior
And1: 241

Post#242 » by Montanabadboy » Fri Jun 26, 2015 5:23 pm

captainrebel wrote:I always watch these prospective NBA players and get an idea which ones I would like for my team. When the draft order is settled and the mocks start popping up, I try to fit one in according to my team’s position in the draft. While I may love player X more than I love player Y, I realize I have no say in the selection process. I never get angry over a selection or wonder why my team selected player X over player Y because I am not involved in the vetting process. I didn’t sit down and watch endless hours of tape on these guys. I didn’t watch the individual workouts, didn’t conduct the one-on-one interview so I don’t know squat compared to what these coaches and scouts know. The point is we don’t know as much as these coaches know, nor have we seen as much as they have seen. So, ladies and gents, let’s all be patient. We won’t know anything until these NBA newbies hit the courts. There will be busts, and there will be booms. Let’s hope that Stan and his team made the correct choice and Stan Johnson is a boom.
PS: I also wanted Justise Winslow.

Exactly! That is a very sensible approach. I do this for fun, I enjoy watching college games and reading scouting reports, and making up my own big board, knowing full well, I'm privy to about 1/1000th of the information the coaches and scouts have at their disposal. I like trying guess who the pick will be and I like having 'my guys' but at the end of the day, I'm a fan of the team and now more than ever I trust the management.
Detroit vs. Everybody :lift: :lift: :lift:
captainrebel
Pro Prospect
And1: 48

Post#243 » by captainrebel » Fri Jun 26, 2015 5:33 pm

Montanabadboy wrote:
captainrebel wrote:I always watch these prospective NBA players and get an idea which ones I would like for my team. When the draft order is settled and the mocks start popping up, I try to fit one in according to my team’s position in the draft. While I may love player X more than I love player Y, I realize I have no say in the selection process. I never get angry over a selection or wonder why my team selected player X over player Y because I am not involved in the vetting process. I didn’t sit down and watch endless hours of tape on these guys. I didn’t watch the individual workouts, didn’t conduct the one-on-one interview so I don’t know squat compared to what these coaches and scouts know. The point is we don’t know as much as these coaches know, nor have we seen as much as they have seen. So, ladies and gents, let’s all be patient. We won’t know anything until these NBA newbies hit the courts. There will be busts, and there will be booms. Let’s hope that Stan and his team made the correct choice and Stan Johnson is a boom.
PS: I also wanted Justise Winslow.

Exactly! That is a very sensible approach. I do this for fun, I enjoy watching college games and reading scouting reports, and making up my own big board, knowing full well, I'm privy to about 1/1000th of the information the coaches and scouts have at their disposal. I like trying guess who the pick will be and I like having 'my guys' but at the end of the day, I'm a fan of the team and now more than ever I trust the management.

Trust the management. That's all we can do.
whitehops
General Manager
And1: 6,500

Post#244 » by whitehops » Fri Jun 26, 2015 7:01 pm

I think the meltdown is over, someone should probably change the tile (make it look a little more official).

I don't understand how people can see the press conference SVG and Gores had and still not optimistic about SJ. here it is, for those who haven't seen it. Just click 'Watch Again':
http://www.nba.com/pistons/multimedia/draft-press-conference

here's a workout + interview with him:
[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TgErk4xt5qE[/youtube]

I'm excited to see him and KCP on the wing together. I'm also excited for him to play at power forward for those stretches we want to play small ball, that could give us four guys that can handle the ball and create a bit (assuming KCP continues to improve his handle).

I'm very optimistic.
Piston Pete
RealGM
And1: 1,264

Post#245 » by Piston Pete » Fri Jun 26, 2015 7:14 pm

We will see our first glimpse in Summer League action, assuming both are ready to go!
ComboGuardCity
RealGM
And1: 4,546

8th Pick Stanley Johnson. Meltdown awaits 

Post#246 » by ComboGuardCity » Fri Jun 26, 2015 7:33 pm

Piston Pete wrote:We will see our first glimpse in Summer League action, assuming both are ready to go!

Are you talking about KCP ? Don't think he participates.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
DtroitBBall8904
Sophomore
And1: 10

Post#247 » by DtroitBBall8904 » Fri Jun 26, 2015 8:03 pm

whitehops wrote:I think the meltdown is over, someone should probably change the tile (make it look a little more official).

I don't understand how people can see the press conference SVG and Gores had and still not optimistic about SJ. here it is, for those who haven't seen it. Just click 'Watch Again':

I saw Stanimal in Santa Barbara several times while he was working out at P3... heard he was great in workouts from a few people who are trainers

I just hope he can develop a shot - he never swishes anything! even in his highlight films
and his shot starts from very low, like a kevin martin shot.
detroitKG
RealGM
And1: 5,509

Post#248 » by detroitKG » Fri Jun 26, 2015 8:11 pm

DtroitBBall8904 wrote:
whitehops wrote:I think the meltdown is over, someone should probably change the tile (make it look a little more official).

I saw Stanimal in Santa Barbara several times while he was working out at P3... heard he was great in workouts from a few people who are trainers

I just hope he can develop a shot - he never swishes anything! even in his highlight films
and his shot starts from very low, like a kevin martin shot.

This is seriously the most common misconception about him..that he can't shoot...HE CAN but yes is no where near elite.
He shot 37% from 3 at a high clip being the only real offensive option on the Arizona team last season..
SVG agrees that he can shoot and only plans to tweak his release point with his shot when new Shooting coach Dave Hopla gets here.
The only real thing I'm worried/curios about is his finishing at the NBA level...I think the extra spacing will help, but we shall see.
pistontr
Analyst
And1: 275

Post#249 » by pistontr » Fri Jun 26, 2015 8:13 pm

chad ford http://espn.go.com/nba/draft2015/insider/story/_/id/13143628/nba-draft-miami-heat-denver-nuggets-top-chad-ford-draft-grades

The Pistons had a major hole to fill at the small forward spot and were determined to draft for need over talent. They wanted a wing who could shoot, defend and, most importantly, play right now. I just believe they drafted the wrong guy. As I noted in my Winners and Losers column, I think the Pistons drafted a guy who looks the part over someone who is the part. Johnson has a NBA body and a great reputation as a winner. But in almost every way, Winslow is the superior player. He's a better athlete, has a better motor, plays with more grit and even shoots it better when he gets his feet set. Johnson is bigger and a better shooter off the bounce. But I think in a few years this draft will look a bit like the Rockets selecting Marcus Morris ahead of Kawhi Leonard. As for Hilliard, he's a crafty scorer and a good shooter, but he's not a great athlete. He, too, was a bit of a reach at No. 38 with players like Joseph Young and Olivier Hanlan on the board.

Winslow landing at No. 10 reminds me a lot of when Kawhi Leonard fell to the Spurs at No. 15 in 2011. Some things are meant to be for both player and team. Winslow is a perfect fit, as a player and a person, into the culture Pat Riley has built in Miami. He'll not only thrive there as a player, he'll have a chance to win now surrounded by Dwyane Wade, Chris Bosh and Goran Dragic. While Winslow isn't the type of player that carries a team offensively, he's the glue guy who makes everyone better, does all the little things, and plays with toughness. He has a high basketball IQ and is relentless at working on his game and getting better. I think he could be a Leonard-type player someday. Richardson is a versatile, athletic guard who can play the 1 and the 2. He was another draft sleeper for me. The Heat just seriously upgraded their wings.
Sorry for my poor english
ADflight1
Pro Prospect
And1: 105

Post#250 » by ADflight1 » Fri Jun 26, 2015 8:21 pm

Johnson won't have an issue finishing at the NBA level at all imo. That's one of the things I'm least worried about him with.

What he will struggle with is consistently creating his own shot and having a consistent jumper. His jump shot needs a lot of work, stats be damned.
Kilo
RealGM
And1: 5,101

Post#251 » by Kilo » Fri Jun 26, 2015 8:33 pm

Boston offered Charlotte 6 picks, including 4 firsts for #9 to draft Winslow. Bloody hell, I wonder if Stan turned down that and if so why? I mean #16 was one of the firsts so what is better Stanley Johnson or Sam Dekker, three more firsts and a couple seconds?

Stan puts too much emphasis on character and chemistry is seems. He wants a his lockerroom to sing kumbaya together before games and at half time or something. As a coach that might make his job easier, but GM should be about getting the best talent on the team and making the coach coach and make it work.
Weaver = Hinkie
VW to Portland :pray:
MrBigShot
RealGM
And1: 17,055

Post#252 » by MrBigShot » Fri Jun 26, 2015 9:10 pm

^Not a fan of Dekker at all so I'd take the 1st scenario. In general I'll take a top 8 pick with a chance to draft a starter than multiple mid to late firsts who if they pan out become rotation guys.
"They say you miss 100% of the shots you take" - Mike James
MotownMadness
RealGM
And1: 21,866

Post#253 » by MotownMadness » Fri Jun 26, 2015 9:17 pm

Kilo wrote:Boston offered Charlotte 6 picks, including 4 firsts for #9 to draft Winslow. Bloody hell, I wonder if Stan turned down that and if so why? I mean #16 was one of the firsts so what is better Stanley Johnson or Sam Dekker, three more firsts and a couple seconds?

Stan puts too much emphasis on character and chemistry is seems. He wants a his lockerroom to sing kumbaya together before games and at half time or something. As a coach that might make his job easier, but GM should be about getting the best talent on the team and making the coach coach and make it work.

It sounds good when you just think of it as having all those picks. But like Ainge is seeing now it's a big difference in talent. They came away on draft night with Rozier and RJ Hunter for Christ sakes.
coordinator0
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,311

Post#255 » by coordinator0 » Fri Jun 26, 2015 9:42 pm

Kilo wrote:Boston offered Charlotte 6 picks, including 4 firsts for #9 to draft Winslow. Bloody hell, I wonder if Stan turned down that and if so why? I mean #16 was one of the firsts so what is better Stanley Johnson or Sam Dekker, three more firsts and a couple seconds?

If Ainge really was offering that kind of deal to move up the picks were probably the worst of the bunch that Boston had available. I would much rather have Johnson as opposed to Dekker and two or three late first round picks. Especially if the 28th pick this year and first round picks next were those other ones added. It was a bad back-end class this year and next year looks like a really weak draft.
princeofpalace
RealGM
And1: 1,636

Post#256 » by princeofpalace » Fri Jun 26, 2015 9:47 pm

coordinator0 wrote:

If Ainge really was offering that kind of deal to move up the picks were probably the worst of the bunch that Boston had available. I would much rather have Johnson as opposed to Dekker and two or three late first round picks. Especially if the 28th pick this year and first round picks next were those other ones added. It was a bad back-end class this year and next year looks like a really weak draft.

Ainge offered BKN's unprotected first rounder which is huge imo.

But at the end of the day SVG passed, which tells me he didn't think a guy he'd like would be around at 16.

Word coming out of Detroit is that the decision at 8 was between Johnson/Booker. SVG said in an interview with Derry today that Winslow rounded out his top 10, so while the value was insane it makes sense why SVG passed because none of those guys were getting to 16.
Snakebites
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 14,747

Post#257 » by Snakebites » Fri Jun 26, 2015 9:51 pm

I dunno, I'd have still done a move like that regardless.

He had it in his mind that he wanted Johnson on his roster. He was thinking like a coach. Wouldn't surprise me one bit if Bower was in favor of that move.
MotownMadness
RealGM
And1: 21,866

Post#258 » by MotownMadness » Fri Jun 26, 2015 10:05 pm

Snakebites wrote:I dunno, I'd have still done a move like that regardless.

He had it in his mind that he wanted Johnson on his roster. He was thinking like a coach. Wouldn't surprise me one bit if Bower was in favor of that move.

And that's why your not a GM. You would have took a bunch of Crap over talent just because it they are 1st rounders when they are hardly more talented if at all then 2nd rounders.
Snakebites
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 14,747

Post#259 » by Snakebites » Fri Jun 26, 2015 10:07 pm

MotownMadness wrote:
Snakebites wrote:I dunno, I'd have still done a move like that regardless.

And that's why your not a GM. You would have took a bunch of Crap over talent just because it they are 1st rounders when they are hardly more talented if at all then 2nd rounders.

Yeah, a future unprotected first is absolute crap. Wanting 2 first rounders for one, also total crap.

You're making no sense dude. And that's fine. Its hardly a unique feature around here. But you can present your nonsense in a better way.

And in general, I'm really not liking the whole "well you're not a GM, you don't do this for a living, so you have absolutely no grounds to question the move an executive makes". That remark or something similar to it has been leveled against me many times over the last 12 or so hours, and its nonsense. You know its nonsense because its only a tune people sing in the face of opinions they don't like.
DBC10
General Manager
And1: 2,799

Post#260 » by DBC10 » Fri Jun 26, 2015 10:14 pm

So I'm guessing there was some merit about Winslow having a bad attitude toward working out for some teams and maybe even ours.

Looking back at it, it makes a bit of sense why Winslow fell.

Return to Detroit Pistons