Mildly Disappointed
10%
Faith in SVG Shaken
7%

Total votes: 121

DETermination
RealGM
And1: 6,818

Re: Poll: How do you like the Johnson pick? 

Post#121 » by DETermination » Sat Jun 27, 2015 12:39 am

Pre ncaa tournament most mock drafts had Stanley going top 5 and had Justise going 7-10 pick. But because Justise played for Duke and they happened to be playing in the final game of the tournament his stock went up. I would love to see what people would think if things were switched and Stanley played for duke and we took him. I would of been happy with either guy as our pick, I just don't get the hate for the Stanley pick.
Detroit vs Everybody
Snakebites
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 14,732

Post#122 » by Snakebites » Sat Jun 27, 2015 1:04 am

Blkbrd671 wrote:
ComboGuardCity wrote:Everyone is entitled to their opinion. For example, I liked Oubre #3. Most people would call me an idiot and wrong. I think they're wrong. Diversity makes this board great.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums

Snake is indicating that he had SJ 2 tiers below Winslow. While yes, he is entitled to his opinion, i take that as seriously as someone telling me they had Okafor 2 tiers below Russell. At some point, the evaluation process has to be questioned.

Reading comprehension needs work, dude.

I said that he wasn't my pick AMONG the next group, not that he wasn't in my next group. Not sure why I'm going to bother arguing with people who can't even be troubled to take the time to read what I actually wrote properly.
Finn McCool
Senior
And1: 270

Post#123 » by Finn McCool » Sat Jun 27, 2015 1:08 am

sfballa13 wrote:You forgot the FCUK SVG option, i pick that

Made me laugh. I'm critical of SVG.
Blkbrd671
RealGM
And1: 4,819

Post#124 » by Blkbrd671 » Sat Jun 27, 2015 1:18 am

Snakebites wrote:Reading comprehension needs work, dude.

I said that he wasn't my pick AMONG the next group, not that he wasn't in my next group. Not sure why I'm going to bother arguing with people who can't even be troubled to take the time to read what I actually wrote properly.

i'll retract, however you phrased it poorly. I am assuming you had booker? Furthermore, even if you have Winslow 1 tier below SJ, your overreaction (based on posts) makes it seem as if you ahve him 3 tiers below winslow.
Snakebites
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons

Post#125 » by Snakebites » Sat Jun 27, 2015 1:27 am

Blkbrd671 wrote:

i'll retract, however you phrased it poorly. I am assuming you had booker? Furthermore, even if you have Winslow 1 tier below SJ, your overreaction (based on posts) makes it seem as if you ahve him 3 tiers below winslow.

I said he wouldn't have been my pick among the next group of guys.

I thought that was perfectly clear and still think that.

Admit it. You didn't really read my post and just piggy backed off of what Mr. Big Shot (who also needs to work on his reading comprehension) said about me. Its okay. It happens.
Blkbrd671
RealGM

Post#126 » by Blkbrd671 » Sat Jun 27, 2015 1:36 am

Snakebites wrote:
Blkbrd671 wrote:

I said he wouldn't have been my pick among the next group of guys.

I thought that was perfectly clear and still think that.

Admit it. You didn't really read my post and just piggy backed off of what Mr. Big Shot (who also needs to work on his reading comprehension) said about me. Its okay. It happens.

Or like normal people just say he wasn't my next pick either. and its funny you mention not reading post ,as i've posted numerous points about how your still overreacting yet your choosing not to address them. Instead your focusing on this pointless discussion in which i already stated "i retract". let it go.
Blkbrd671
RealGM

Post#127 » by Blkbrd671 » Sat Jun 27, 2015 1:47 am

why did you delete your rebuttle snake?
Snakebites
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons

Post#128 » by Snakebites » Sat Jun 27, 2015 1:50 am

Blkbrd671 wrote:why did you delete your rebuttle snake?

Because I no longer wish to continue this discussion.
Scout Taron
Veteran
And1: 393

Post#129 » by Scout Taron » Sat Jun 27, 2015 1:55 am

Another great stat:

Johnson shot 49.1% of the dribble. Winslow went 2/19 on the year.
Blkbrd671
RealGM

Post#130 » by Blkbrd671 » Sat Jun 27, 2015 2:11 am

Scout Taron wrote:Another great stat:

on how many attempts
Scout Taron
Veteran
And1: 393

Post#131 » by Scout Taron » Sat Jun 27, 2015 2:18 am

Blkbrd671 wrote:
Scout Taron wrote:Another great stat:

on how many attempts

Do not know. Probably fairly substantial though since 41% of Stanley's shots were considered "two point jumpers" by Kenpom.
OneBadMutha
Sixth Man
And1: 189

Post#132 » by OneBadMutha » Sat Jun 27, 2015 3:57 am

Johnson just has more upside to be an all around player. Neither will carry a contending team offensively. I don't think Winslow showed me anything to make me believe you could give him the ball on the wing and let him take over like a Paul Pierce in his prime. To be fair, I think the same for SJ. I think SJ has potential to be a jack of all trades, master of none on offense...but a master on defense and above average in transition. He's also a good rebounder. I think he would be a top 3 player on a contender due to his versatility. He has more character and seems more mature. That matters when you're putting a young core together in an organization that's lacked character and toughness for years. It's a lot more important to get that leadership/toughness out of one of your top young guys than from a vet that will only be here a year or two.

While I don't believe either one of these guys is going to be an alpha dog scorer on a contending team, SJ has upside to develop into a more efficient secondary option. If he can fix his release point without regressing in accuracy, he could be a very tough cover getting the ball through the flow of the offense. Guy is going to muscle most 3's. 4's will have no choice but to let him take jump shots. He's going to draw a lot of fouls and get open shots in SVGs offense. If this team can turn the corner defensively (as they should now), he's going to get baskets in transition. Pistons running game will be fun to watch.
Todd3
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,086

Post#133 » by Todd3 » Sat Jun 27, 2015 10:17 am

Good read for all Pistons fans whether you like Johnson or not. Gives some insight into maybe why he was so excited to play here. He was essentially being groomed to play Pistons basketball for the last year already.

Miller's model for Arizona: Pistons' Bad Boys
http://www.tucsonnewsnow.com/story/28575583/millers-model-for-arizona-pistons-bad-boys

The network's "30 for 30" documentary -- "Bad Boys" -- has become a foundational focal point for Miller's team, which continues its march through the NCAA Tournament with a game Saturday against Ohio State in Portland.

With that as a background, there doesn't seem to be a wrong message these Cats could take from the "Bad Boys" special:

"How close they were as a team," said senior point guard T.J. McConnell.

"I'd say the main thing was, 'Know your role,'" said sophomore forward Rondae Hollis-Jefferson.

"The biggest thing I took away from that were the sacrifices they made for each other," said senior center Matt Korcheck.

"Just being all in and playing hard basketball, that was the most important thing," said junior center Kaleb Tarczewski.

"For us, it's how to be tough; a mentality thing. It's like, 'We're not going to get punked,'" said freshman wing Stanley Johnson.

"He wanted our team to be like that," McConnell said of Miller trying to impart the us-against-the-world mentality of that Pistons family."We've watched it so many times that we're pretty much like that. We kind of figured it out as they kept talking about how close they were and what they would do for each other. We said to ourselves, 'We have to be like that.'"

Arizona doesn't necessarily aspire to the level of thuggery and villainy achieved by those Pistons teams, who came of age in the 1980s during the Bird and Magic dynasties in Boston and Los Angeles before winning back-to-back NBA titles in 1989 and 1990. Love 'em or hate 'em, though, those Pistons -- Isiah Thomas, Bill Laimbeer, Dennis Rodman, Joe Dumars, Rick Mahorn, John Salley, Mark Aguirre, Vinnie Johnson, etc. -- were admirable in that they didn't much give a damn about anything other than getting those rings.

"We're not going to back down from anybody, no matter who you are, where you come from, how big you are, how tough you are," Stanley Johnson said. "We're the tougher dudes and, guess what, we're going to show you -- not by fist fighting -- but by how hard we play on every possession, how hard we crash the glass, how we play our offense, how we play our defense.

"That is just the way we play our basketball."
StunnaStan
Pro Prospect
And1: 259

Post#134 » by StunnaStan » Sat Jun 27, 2015 4:06 pm

im been saying it since last year that when stanley johnson comes in the league, im rocking with whatever team hes on. he is a mix of lebron, joe johnson, and jeremy butler. on july 4th, hes going to embarass mario hezonja and on july 6th, justice winslow will get exposed without jahlil okafor to attract 85% of the attention on the court. . he was training with kobe bryant a good amount last summer and has worked out with bron bron and durant in the past. all the stars know that this kid is coming. all you guys need to do is sit patiently and wait until stanley johnson wins the orlando and vegas summer league mvps. i know piston fans have been fans on wilson chandler in the past, and you just drafted a 19 year old whos already stronger than wilson chandler has ever been.

the fact that he dropped to 8 probably pissed him off too so thats not good for the competition thats guarding him.it all comes down to is jumper. when teams gameplan for johnson, they already know how big and strong he is so theyre going to dare him to shoot jumpers. once he shows he can hit jumpers spotting up and off the dribble, its over. im still shocked the nuggets passed on him but i like what detroit is doing so him being on the pistons is cool.

i like the pistons playoff chances atm
epheisey
Bench Warmer
And1: 409

Poll: How do you like the Johnson pick? 

Post#135 » by epheisey » Tue Jun 30, 2015 8:42 am

Wow. Been away for a while because I just wasn't thrilled with the quality of posts here, and I come back and see that even the level headed and sensible posters have gone off the deep end.

RIP RealGM Pistons forum....

As for me, I preferred Johnson over Winslow. Winslow didn't do anything spectacular in the tournament, but was surrounded by a better team, won a championship and got more press. That twisted the perception in his favor, but not correctly in my opinion. And the fact that Johnson wants to be here and the other intangibles are worth way more than whatever marginal difference there is in current talent, if there even is a difference. If we take out the tournament and look at the regular season alone, I find it hard to believe that Winslow remains the "better pick". The overreaction to this pick is ridiculous. I read something from a Detroit journalist/radio personality who claimed this was "Darko 2.0" and frankly that's seemingly how some of you have reacted. That's f**king insane.

I actually heard Johnson was the pick because SVG liked his name better.

Pharaoh
RealGM
And1: 4,565

Re: Re: Poll: How do you like the Johnson pick? 

Post#136 » by Pharaoh » Tue Jun 30, 2015 10:54 am

Todd3 wrote:Good read for all Pistons fans whether you like Johnson or not. Gives some insight into maybe why he was so excited to play here. He was essentially being groomed to play Pistons basketball for the last year already.

Miller's model for Arizona: Pistons' Bad Boys
http://www.tucsonnewsnow.com/story/28575583/millers-model-for-arizona-pistons-bad-boys

The network's "30 for 30" documentary -- "Bad Boys" -- has become a foundational focal point for Miller's team, which continues its march through the NCAA Tournament with a game Saturday against Ohio State in Portland.

With that as a background, there doesn't seem to be a wrong message these Cats could take from the "Bad Boys" special:

"How close they were as a team," said senior point guard T.J. McConnell.

"I'd say the main thing was, 'Know your role,'" said sophomore forward Rondae Hollis-Jefferson.

"The biggest thing I took away from that were the sacrifices they made for each other," said senior center Matt Korcheck.

"Just being all in and playing hard basketball, that was the most important thing," said junior center Kaleb Tarczewski.

"For us, it's how to be tough; a mentality thing. It's like, 'We're not going to get punked,'" said freshman wing Stanley Johnson.

"He wanted our team to be like that," McConnell said of Miller trying to impart the us-against-the-world mentality of that Pistons family."We've watched it so many times that we're pretty much like that. We kind of figured it out as they kept talking about how close they were and what they would do for each other. We said to ourselves, 'We have to be like that.'"

Arizona doesn't necessarily aspire to the level of thuggery and villainy achieved by those Pistons teams, who came of age in the 1980s during the Bird and Magic dynasties in Boston and Los Angeles before winning back-to-back NBA titles in 1989 and 1990. Love 'em or hate 'em, though, those Pistons -- Isiah Thomas, Bill Laimbeer, Dennis Rodman, Joe Dumars, Rick Mahorn, John Salley, Mark Aguirre, Vinnie Johnson, etc. -- were admirable in that they didn't much give a damn about anything other than getting those rings.

"We're not going to back down from anybody, no matter who you are, where you come from, how big you are, how tough you are," Stanley Johnson said. "We're the tougher dudes and, guess what, we're going to show you -- not by fist fighting -- but by how hard we play on every possession, how hard we crash the glass, how we play our offense, how we play our defense.

"That is just the way we play our basketball."

BOOM!
rmfc
Assistant Coach
And1: 936

Post#137 » by rmfc » Tue Jun 30, 2015 12:51 pm

Do the Winslow fanboys/Stanley haters have anything to say about Winslow's pathetic performance in the finals? If not for that some random Duke kid playing the game of his career in the finals, that game would have been a double digit loss for the Dukies.

And, if we are going to choose to ignore the finals performance, then shouldn't we also do the same for Stanley? He played bad in a couple of games in the tournament (including the one where he got his eye poked). Outside of the tournament, Stanley's production on offense was very similar to Winslow's (even though their styles are different) despite playing on a team filled with worse shooters than himself.

I preferred Winslow over Stanley only because his defense looked better....not because of his offense.

Let's see what Stanley can do on a team where he is not required to carry the whole offense.
SAKURABA216
Starter
And1: 817

Poll: How do you like the Johnson pick? 

Post#138 » by SAKURABA216 » Tue Jun 30, 2015 6:29 pm

Chad Ford just compared us taking SJ over Winslow to the Suns taking Markieff Morris 13 and the Spurs taking Kawhi Leonard at 14.

Of course I wanted Winslow, but I think SJ is better for us. I get the feeling that Winslow didn't want to be here and SJ really embraces our blue collar team culture. I think him being about 20 pounds heavier will also allow him to be a better defender and with KCP they will form a pretty good defensive tandem on the perimeter.

I also think if SJ slid to Miami every analyst would say it's a fantastic pick for them.

Overall I think the level of excitement would have been much greater for our fanbase if we ended up with Winslow, but I think we will be alright with SJ.

WeNeverLeftAZ
Junior
And1: 398

Post#139 » by WeNeverLeftAZ » Tue Jun 30, 2015 8:37 pm

Chad Ford, lol.
I made sure to say 'Bear Down Arizona!' at the end of our broadcast. That was for Wildcat Nation. -NBC Anchor Brian Williams
BadMofoPimp
RealGM
And1: 11,588

Post#140 » by BadMofoPimp » Wed Jul 1, 2015 12:47 pm

Stanley Johnson gonna prove em all wrong!!!

Provin Ya'll Wrong!!!

Return to Detroit Pistons