ImageImageImage

Summer League 2015

Moderators: Cowology, Snakebites, theBigLip, dVs33

Brapman
Starter
And1: 443

Re: Summer League 2015 

Post#1341 » by Brapman » Tue Jul 21, 2015 5:28 pm

Hez "not an elite athlete"?? Don't know about that. When I watched him, I thought his athleticism was eye-popping, quite obviously elite.

I had OMG reactions to watching Stanley Johnson and Turner, and something like that when I watched Winslow. I thought I saw some great qualities from Russell and Towns. (Gordon in Orlando blew me away, btw). I didn't see Mudiay play - although I have a couple of his games on tape.

But, yeah, Hez's athleticism blew me away - as did his gorgeous looking shooting stroke.
vic
Veteran
And1: 1,044

Post#1342 » by vic » Tue Jul 21, 2015 6:05 pm

I had Town's number one and Johnson number two from back in March.

Booker really surprised me though. I didn't look much into him. I can see why SVG had him right behind Johnson.

I knew Turner would be the steal of the draft same reason Johnson was - NCAA coaching. NCAA coaching or lack thereof and system fit is the best way to find steals. Overrating NCAA system players based on March tournament success is the best way to get an overrated player.
You need 2-way wings, 2-way shooting bigs, and you can't allow low iq players on the court. Assist/turnover ratio is crucial. Shooting point guards are icing on the cake IF they are plus defenders.
Weaver & Casey, govern yourselves accordingly!
ComboGuardCity
RealGM
And1: 4,547

Summer League 2015 

Post#1343 » by ComboGuardCity » Tue Jul 21, 2015 11:59 pm

Brapman wrote:Hez "not an elite athlete"?? Don't know about that. When I watched him, I thought his athleticism was eye-popping, quite obviously elite.

I had OMG reactions to watching Stanley Johnson and Turner, and something like that when I watched Winslow. I thought I saw some great qualities from Russell and Towns. (Gordon in Orlando blew me away, btw). I didn't see Mudiay play - although I have a couple of his games on tape.

But, yeah, Hez's athleticism blew me away - as did his gorgeous looking shooting stroke.

What instances are you talking about? The drive and dunk? The alley oop? He showed nothing during summer league that the average NBA wing cannot do.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
Brapman
Starter
And1: 443

Post#1344 » by Brapman » Wed Jul 22, 2015 12:44 am

I know explosiveness when I see it. I watched a gorgeous looking effortless outside shooting stroke.

Hey look, I wanted Hez before the draft. I was loud about it. But, after we got Stanley, I'm actively rooting against everyone else in the draft that we didn't pick. I'm actively trying to find the flaws in their games. I sure didn't watch the Magic SL games trying to like him -- but I saw what I saw. It seemed obvious to me that he's as billed as a physical talent. After that, whether he'll be better or worse than our guy, I don't know. I love Johnson after not expecting to. I think Stanley is going to be a top-shelf BB IQ effort and coachable guy - and he has great ability.

But yeah, I sure was impressed by what I saw in that 6'8" legitimate, super athletic Euro.
need4detroit
Analyst
And1: 769

Post#1345 » by need4detroit » Wed Jul 22, 2015 1:40 am

Hezonja's a good athlete, don't get me wrong, but by NBA standards he's by no means an elite athlete. Theres 4-5 guys on most teams that are just as good if not better athletes than him. He's more of a shooter with some good athleticism than a physical specimen who can shoot.
Detroit Sports Videos http://www.youtube.com/user/need4detroit
bkseven wrote:He's between average and above average.
MrBigShot
RealGM
And1: 17,071

Post#1346 » by MrBigShot » Wed Jul 22, 2015 2:49 am

The term elite is so ambigous. What is elite to one person may not be elite to another, depending on who/what you consider elite. I consider guys like Blake, DeAndre, Westbrook, Gerald Green, Lavine and Rose pre-injury elite athletes. With that in mind I'd consider Hezonja a very good athlete but not an elite one...underrated first step, excellent body control, good explosiveness and a good vertical as well.

I'd put him on par with DeRozan, but with less strength.
"They say you miss 100% of the shots you take" - Mike James
need4detroit
Analyst

Post#1347 » by need4detroit » Wed Jul 22, 2015 4:20 am

MrBigShot wrote:The term elite is so ambigous. What is elite to one person may not be elite to another, depending on who/what you consider elite. I consider guys like Blake, DeAndre, Westbrook, Gerald Green, Lavine and Rose pre-injury elite athletes. With that in mind I'd consider Hezonja a very good athlete but not an elite one...underrated first step, excellent body control, good explosiveness and a good vertical as well.

Andre Drummond?
Cowology
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 3,685

Post#1348 » by Cowology » Wed Jul 22, 2015 10:42 pm

Drummond is elite for his position. His combination of size, strength, speed and agility is very rare and the reason he's tagged as having potential. His development in terms of skill and maximizing those natural abilities is what will determine how good he actually becomes.
Blkbrd671
RealGM
And1: 4,819

Post#1349 » by Blkbrd671 » Wed Jul 22, 2015 11:31 pm

Cowology wrote:Drummond is elite for his position. His combination of size, strength, speed and agility is very rare and the reason he's tagged as having potential. His development in terms of skill and maximizing those natural abilities is what will determine how good he actually becomes.

i'd argue any position. His first step is pretty darn quick.
need4detroit
Analyst

Post#1350 » by need4detroit » Thu Jul 23, 2015 4:22 am

Blkbrd671 wrote:
Cowology wrote:Drummond is elite for his position. His combination of size, strength, speed and agility is very rare and the reason he's tagged as having potential. His development in terms of skill and maximizing those natural abilities is what will determine how good he actually becomes.

Yeah Drummond is an elite athlete period. His mobility and fluidity is pretty crazy. You see how dexterious this guy is when he sponges the ball of the ground and theres a bunch of guards nearby. Virtually any other big other than maybe A. Davis will loose most of those 50/50 balls, but he's often the one snagging them up. He gets a lot of boards out jumping people but whats most impressive is all the balls he just snags up off the floor or runs down.

Oddly enough, even Henzoja is a wing and considered athletic, Ive seen Dre contort his body and finish layups inside in ways that I have never seen Henzoja, and Dre is probably a 100 pounds heavier.
Blkbrd671
RealGM

Post#1351 » by Blkbrd671 » Thu Jul 23, 2015 8:37 am

need4detroit wrote:
Blkbrd671 wrote:

Yeah Drummond is an elite athlete period. His mobility and fluidity is pretty crazy. You see how dexterious this guy is when he sponges the ball of the ground and theres a bunch of guards nearby. Virtually any other big other than maybe A. Davis will loose most of those 50/50 balls, but he's often the one snagging them up. He gets a lot of boards out jumping people but whats most impressive is all the balls he just snags up off the floor or runs down.

Oddly enough, even Henzoja is a wing and considered athletic, Ive seen Dre contort his body and finish layups inside in ways that I have never seen Henzoja, and Dre is probably a 100 pounds heavier.

honestly i consider my self pretty athletic, id say i am just as athleyic and more skilled bball wise than dre, only difference is im under 6 ft and 185. theres probably 100,000 guys like me. Cant say the same about dre. ive always used shaq as a comparison because hes the only other player at that size with his agility. at least in my era. i hate using it because theres always that one idiot that reads the word "shaq" and goes off about shaq this and that. im just talking physical comparisons
kurtis48239
General Manager
And1: 1,056

Post#1352 » by kurtis48239 » Thu Jul 23, 2015 10:19 am

What Iam really likeing,is how stan/dre/jackson and the rest of the team have come together and rallied behind SJ like they have.We will have a really cohosive team going into the season and I just love how stanimal already feels like hes been apart of the team for forever.Cant wait to see this team on the court when the season starts.

Also the more I see of johnson,the more I think this kid is going to explode on day 1 and just take all our breaths away.Reminds me alot of when hill was drafted,just have this feeling johnson is going to be good and good for this team day 1..DETROIT VS EVERYBODY!!!
need4detroit
Analyst

Post#1353 » by need4detroit » Thu Jul 23, 2015 3:43 pm

Blkbrd671 wrote:
need4detroit wrote:
Blkbrd671 wrote:

honestly i consider my self pretty athletic, id say i am just as athleyic and more skilled bball wise than dre, only difference is im under 6 ft and 185. theres probably 100,000 guys like me. Cant say the same about dre. ive always used shaq as a comparison because hes the only other player at that size with his agility. at least in my era. i hate using it because theres always that one idiot that reads the word "shaq" and goes off about shaq this and that. im just talking physical comparisons

Im 6'1'' 170 have a quick first step and every once in a while I throw down on someone in traffic but I wouldn't consider myself as athletic as Dre.
MrBigShot
RealGM
And1: 17,071

Post#1354 » by MrBigShot » Thu Jul 23, 2015 4:22 pm

need4detroit wrote:
MrBigShot wrote:The term elite is so ambigous. What is elite to one person may not be elite to another, depending on who/what you consider elite. I consider guys like Blake, DeAndre, Westbrook, Gerald Green, Lavine and Rose pre-injury elite athletes. With that in mind I'd consider Hezonja a very good athlete but not an elite one...underrated first step, excellent body control, good explosiveness and a good vertical as well.

Andre Drummond?

Yeah I'd put him in that category too. Not as athletic as Lavine or Westbrook but he's in the category. He looks clumsy at times and his vertical isn't 40+ inches or something like that, but the things he can pull off with his size and weight just don't happen very frequently. Specifically some of the passing lane interceptions he gets and instances like when he stole the ball from DWade straight up on two straight positions.
"They say you miss 100% of the shots you take" - Mike James
Han Solo
General Manager
And1: 7,443

Post#1355 » by Han Solo » Thu Jul 23, 2015 4:28 pm

need4detroit wrote:
Blkbrd671 wrote:
need4detroit wrote:Yeah Drummond is an elite athlete period. His mobility and fluidity is pretty crazy. You see how dexterious this guy is when he sponges the ball of the ground and theres a bunch of guards nearby. Virtually any other big other than maybe A. Davis will loose most of those 50/50 balls, but he's often the one snagging them up. He gets a lot of boards out jumping people but whats most impressive is all the balls he just snags up off the floor or runs down.

Im 6'1'' 170 have a quick first step and every once in a while I throw down on someone in traffic but I wouldn't consider myself as athletic as Dre.

I'm 6'2 240 and have a quick first step..... To the fridge.
Blkbrd671
RealGM

Post#1356 » by Blkbrd671 » Fri Jul 24, 2015 1:05 am

need4detroit wrote:
Blkbrd671 wrote:
need4detroit wrote:Yeah Drummond is an elite athlete period. His mobility and fluidity is pretty crazy. You see how dexterious this guy is when he sponges the ball of the ground and theres a bunch of guards nearby. Virtually any other big other than maybe A. Davis will loose most of those 50/50 balls, but he's often the one snagging them up. He gets a lot of boards out jumping people but whats most impressive is all the balls he just snags up off the floor or runs down.

I want to rebuttal but i don't want to give in a comparison of a RealGM poster to a NBA athelte. My point was Dre's atheltecism doesn't make him special, his Size + athleticism+bball tools makes him special. Not many guys like that living
Blkbrd671
RealGM

Post#1357 » by Blkbrd671 » Fri Jul 24, 2015 1:05 am

Han Solo wrote:
need4detroit wrote:
Blkbrd671 wrote:

I'm 6'2 240 and have a quick first step..... To the fridge.

:lol: :lol: oh jab step
need4detroit
Analyst

Post#1358 » by need4detroit » Fri Jul 24, 2015 2:46 am

Blkbrd671 wrote:
need4detroit wrote:
Blkbrd671 wrote:

I want to rebuttal but i don't want to give in a comparison of a RealGM poster to a NBA athelte. My point was Dre's atheltecism doesn't make him special, his Size + athleticism+bball tools makes him special. Not many guys like that living

I agree.

Return to Detroit Pistons