The Official Off-season Thread: Part 2

Moderators: Cowology, Snakebites, theBigLip, dVs33

Blkbrd671
RealGM
And1: 4,819

Re: The Official Off-season Thread: Part 2 

Post#161 » by Blkbrd671 » Fri Jul 24, 2015 4:33 am

joedumars1 wrote:I don't see him as the trying to do to much type

he did it a number of times during summer league, and as defenses get tighter and scoring becomes hard, its only natural for a rookie to try to force the action. There's not one player who's never tried to do "too much". Rookie years are all about find out what you can and can't do.
detroitKG
RealGM
And1: 5,509

Post#162 » by detroitKG » Fri Jul 24, 2015 4:39 am

I actually got to disagree...he was easily the most poised rookie in ORL SL and very rarely forced anything as far as shots and drives. that was probably the most encouraging thing of anything I saw from SJ..

But obviously reg season will be a different beast, so we'll see. I feel he'll transition better than most rookies this year.
tmorgan
RealGM
And1: 6,886

Post#163 » by tmorgan » Fri Jul 24, 2015 5:10 am

Frankly, I'll be surprised if Stanimal isn't a good player right away. He's not going to put up numbers -- this isn't Arizona, he can't walk in and get the most shots on the team -- but I think he'll play under control, play good defense, and be a positive contributor right away.

What I don't know is exactly how many minutes he'll get. I don't know SVG well enough (even those that know him well from Orlando can't be sure if his attitude has changed or if he'll make an exception for SJ) to know how long it'll take to get to start, or how many minutes he'll play off the bench if he doesn't.

I'm really hoping he averages close to 25 mpg for the year... 15-20 off the bench for less than half the season, and then 30 once he becomes a starter. That number could be a little higher if he starts sooner, or a lot lower if he starts slow and/or Morris is better than I think he'll be.

For some reference points:

Dre averaged 7.9 ppg and 20.7 minutes and only started 10 games. He spent most of the year backing up Monroe.
KCP averaged 5.9 ppg and 19.8 minutes, but started 41 games. He got to start a bit, but still shared the position with Stuckey.

Those were both under a different coach, though.
Blkbrd671
RealGM

Post#164 » by Blkbrd671 » Fri Jul 24, 2015 6:34 am

detroitKG wrote:I actually got to disagree...he was easily the most poised rookie in ORL SL and very rarely forced anything as far as shots and drives. that was probably the most encouraging thing of anything I saw from SJ..

But obviously reg season will be a different beast, so we'll see. I feel he'll transition better than most rookies this year.

for a rookie yes, he showed the poise of last years KCP(SL version) which was his 2nd year. However JoeD indicated he doesn't seem him as the "trying to do too much type", and i was merely pointing out he's alreayd shown instances of doing too much.

Does he force? .........yes all players do

Does he show poise(not force) more than typical rookie .............yes

2 different discussions. if i breaking this down correctly
kurtis48239
General Manager
And1: 1,056

Post#165 » by kurtis48239 » Fri Jul 24, 2015 6:40 am

hoophabit wrote:
Blkbrd671 wrote:
kurtis48239 wrote:Thing I like about kcp and think he will make it,is the fact theres no quit in the kid and he genuinely wants to be the best he can.Hes also been making strides since hes been here,so if his trend continues,he should be better than he was last year,even if its just alittle and he can become more efficent,then it should give most continued hope.

Piston homer aside,I really think johnson will do well.I do think he will have those rookie jitters,but I think he will shrug those off and really get going,I havent felt that confident about a player we drafted in a long time.Even dre,I felt would take time and didnt think he would be bringing down the house every night.It also helps that johnson is so well rounded.

KCP should improve and the fact he's a work horse is encouraging. As far as Johnson, he looks good against scrubs and D-League'ers which is also encouraging, but we won't be playing the sixers every game. What i do like is that a lot of the things we saw him do during Summer League should translate for the most part to the NBA, at least defensively. I want to see if SJ can score on a NBA wing that knows how to defend. i feel once we put him up against real me, he'll make rookie mistakes.

I agree that SJ will have a period of adjustment. Sure, there will be rookie mistakes. He seems mentally tough to me, and as the season progresses I'm hopeful he can find his footing more quickly than many. I suppose hope comes easy in the summer though. :lol:

Thats how I feel about johnson,his mentality is there and hes game is well rounded enough that the only problems I see him having are the rookie mistakes early on.I have a really good feeling about the kid.
kurtis48239
General Manager

Post#166 » by kurtis48239 » Fri Jul 24, 2015 6:50 am

I think johnson will have those mental lapses,turn overs,missing an assignment here and there,etc,but once the game slows down and hes had a month or so,I think he will settle in nicely.He was the best player on our summer league and once other teams figured out,that if you shut down johnson you pretty much win,but even then johnson was still getting his and adapting to what was thrown at him.Now that he will be playing on a team with dre/jackson/kcp/ersan/jennings/meeks/etc,he wont have that problem nearly as much and he should run with that oppertunity.

Another thing I want to rant about,is all the claims that he had a low bball iq.To say he wasant a high iq player was just (I honestly have no words).The kids iq is off the charts,when you see him on the floor ,you can see him reading the floor ,or what would be a good move on this peticular defender.Really makes you wonder the iq of some of the RG posters,and using espn or some other NBA analyst isnt an excuse,do your own homework and dont spout off everything those idiots have to say...Iam just glad hes one of us and we can concentrate on making our team top notch.

One of us,one of us,goble,gable,goble,gable,one of us!!!!!
joedumars1
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,078

Post#167 » by joedumars1 » Fri Jul 24, 2015 6:55 am

kurtis48239 wrote:I think johnson will have those mental lapses,turn overs,missing an assignment here and there,etc,but once the game slows down and hes had a month or so,I think he will settle in nicely.He was the best player on our summer league and once other teams figured out,that if you shut down johnson you pretty much win,but even then johnson was still getting his and adapting to what was thrown at him.Now that he will be playing on a team with dre/jackson/kcp/ersan/jennings/meeks/etc,he wont have that problem nearly as much and he should run with that oppertunity.

Another thing I want to rant about,is all the claims that he had a low bball iq.To say he wasant a high iq player was just (I honestly have no words).The kids iq is off the charts,when you see him on the floor ,you can see him reading the floor ,or what would be a good move on this peticular defender.

Just people overthinking. I thought his I'Q was through the roof, that's why he was who I wanted, unless Kristaps dropped to us.

I heard something on tv today tho, it made me say hmm. What Duke player has lived up to the hype since Hill? Kyrie? Yea he can score, but don't think he was going anywhere anytime soon, luckily LBJ came home.
kurtis48239
General Manager

Post#168 » by kurtis48239 » Fri Jul 24, 2015 6:59 am

joedumars1 wrote:
kurtis48239 wrote:I think johnson will have those mental lapses,turn overs,missing an assignment here and there,etc,but once the game slows down and hes had a month or so,I think he will settle in nicely.He was the best player on our summer league and once other teams figured out,that if you shut down johnson you pretty much win,but even then johnson was still getting his and adapting to what was thrown at him.Now that he will be playing on a team with dre/jackson/kcp/ersan/jennings/meeks/etc,he wont have that problem nearly as much and he should run with that oppertunity.

Another thing I want to rant about,is all the claims that he had a low bball iq.To say he wasant a high iq player was just (I honestly have no words).The kids iq is off the charts,when you see him on the floor ,you can see him reading the floor ,or what would be a good move on this peticular defender.

Just people overthinking. I thought his I'Q was through the roof, that's why he was who I wanted, unless Kristaps dropped to us.

I heard something on tv today tho, it made me say hmm. What Duke player has lived up to the hype since Hill? Kyrie? Yea he can score, but don't think he was going anywhere anytime soon, luckily LBJ came home.

When you say lived up to the hype is the key word,alot of people take that the other way and always say,plenty of players have come out of duke and had good carrers,but your refering to the hype surrounding them.Not alot lol.
joedumars1
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,078

Post#169 » by joedumars1 » Fri Jul 24, 2015 7:03 am

kurtis48239 wrote:
joedumars1 wrote:

When you say lived up to the hype is the key word,alot of people take that the other way and always say,plenty of players have come out of duke and had good carrers,but your refering to the hype surrounding them.Not alot lol.

I thought the same thing, key word being hype. Winslow was hyped big from the tournament. That is where SJ hype started dying rite?
kurtis48239
General Manager

Post#170 » by kurtis48239 » Fri Jul 24, 2015 7:16 am

joedumars1 wrote:
kurtis48239 wrote:
joedumars1 wrote:Just people overthinking. I thought his I'Q was through the roof, that's why he was who I wanted, unless Kristaps dropped to us.

I thought the same thing, key word being hype. Winslow was hyped big from the tournament. That is where SJ hype started dying rite?

Not quite,it started about a month or 2 befor,when johnson had a few mediocore games and winslow started hitting 3s at a crazy rate and then it started to lead into the tourament.It was when that whole period started,winslow started to become super overrated and johnson underrated,when really,when you looked at it without the hype glasses on,johnson wasant nearly as bad as reports would have you believe.
Han Solo
General Manager
And1: 7,443

Post#171 » by Han Solo » Fri Jul 24, 2015 10:25 pm

Johnson is winning ROY. Marcus Morris will start at 4 within 20 games this year with Stanley sliding in at starting 3.

Ilyasova will either get hurt or will fall into first PF off bench.
Blkbrd671
RealGM

Post#172 » by Blkbrd671 » Sat Jul 25, 2015 12:34 am

Han Solo wrote:Johnson is winning ROY. Marcus Morris will start at 4 within 20 games this year with Stanley sliding in at starting 3.

Ilyasova will either get hurt or will fall into first PF off bench.

might want to book mark this
ElectricMayhem
RealGM
And1: 11,162

Post#173 » by ElectricMayhem » Sat Jul 25, 2015 2:00 pm

Has there been any indication as to where Tayshaun will end up? With all the FA movement, I completely forgot about him. He's probably hoping to latch onto a contender, but who knows if any contenders will even want him. He doesn't have that much left in the tank and he's not really a positive mentoring type of veteran (although he's not really a negative either....professional, but just...there).
At the end of the day, it's not about wins and losses. Teamwork, fair play, and good sportsmanship make champions of us all.

Go arbitrary assortment of athletes! Beat the other arbitrary assortment of athletes or my mood will suffer!
Kilo
RealGM
And1: 5,101

Post#174 » by Kilo » Sat Jul 25, 2015 2:18 pm

I'd guess SA or Dallas. Jefferson just backed out of Dallas agreement to go to Cleveland, maybe Prince is an option there.
Weaver = Hinkie
VW to Portland :pray:
Todd3
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,086

Post#175 » by Todd3 » Sat Jul 25, 2015 7:30 pm

I think this roster is going to be amongst the deepest and most versatile in the league, but if there is one element I think still in question its someone elite from three . The Korver/Danny Green/Redick types who commands attention at all times. We have a whole roster of guys who are good from three around Dre now, which is a big upgrade over what we had his first few years, but do we have that elite guy yet?

Could it be Meeks? My guess is that is what Stan thought he was getting when he signed him. I recall a stat that said he was one of the best spot up guys in the league with the Lakers. While his overall percentages were not great for us last year, he actually went 43% on threes over the last 25 games, on over 3 per game which is a solid sample. Perhaps he just needed to get acclimated.
Pharaoh
RealGM
And1: 4,565

Re: Re: The Official Off-season Thread: Part 2 

Post#176 » by Pharaoh » Sat Jul 25, 2015 11:27 pm

zeebneeb wrote:
Blkbrd671 wrote:
zeebneeb wrote:viewtopic.php?f=24&t=1401115&start=40#start_here

This is why I think so little of Knick fans, and why i have continually called them the least knowledgeable fans, in all of basketball. The dumb jock types.

Two people, in a thread of three pages have us ranked last in the east, so that means the worst team in the league.

I mean there are opinions, and then there is just stupidity. I didn't even bother to ask on reasoning, as it can only be absurd.

:lol: holy ****.

honestly don't pay attention to them. There franchise is where we were at 2-3 years ago, where they think there still contending but in actuality they aren't that great of a team. i never quite got the whole "Knick fans have high bball iq" , i find its more, "hey i am a knick fan, so i know basketball"......i'd be very surprised if they weren't in the lotto next draft barring a trade. They need to get rid of melo and get pieces to build around. and then there's the system. Apparently Knick players hate triangle
Most players would hate the triangle. It features only two players 90% of the time on offense, and that's where most of the glory goes. It also relies heavily on having not just all star players, but a superstar to facilitate. Sorry, but melo, is not Jordan, or Kobe.

It's a precise set, and it requires precise pieces, which the league just doesn't have right now.

Since its the dog days of the off-season I'll bite:

The Triangle Offense does not require a superstar.

It does not feature 2 players 90% of the time.

It's not a precise set that requires precise pieces either.

Anyone willing to expand their knowledge of the triangle (and we all should be willing given its history) needsto jump on Google.

Lots of time to kill before the season.
zeebneeb
RealGM
And1: 10,637

Post#177 » by zeebneeb » Sat Jul 25, 2015 11:29 pm

Pharaoh wrote:
zeebneeb wrote:
Blkbrd671 wrote:

honestly don't pay attention to them. There franchise is where we were at 2-3 years ago, where they think there still contending but in actuality they aren't that great of a team. i never quite got the whole "Knick fans have high bball iq" , i find its more, "hey i am a knick fan, so i know basketball"......i'd be very surprised if they weren't in the lotto next draft barring a trade. They need to get rid of melo and get pieces to build around. and then there's the system. Apparently Knick players hate triangle
Most players would hate the triangle. It features only two players 90% of the time on offense, and that's where most of the glory goes. It also relies heavily on having not just all star players, but a superstar to facilitate. Sorry, but melo, is not Jordan, or Kobe.

It's a precise set, and it requires precise pieces, which the league just doesn't have right now.

The Triangle Offense does not require a superstar.

It does not feature 2 players 90% of the time.

It's not a precise set that requires precise pieces either.

Anyone willing to expand their knowledge of the triangle (and we all should be willing given its history) needsto jump on Google.

Lots of time to kill before the season.
I'll counter off the top of my head! Give examples recently, when the triangle has worked in the NBA without those requirements.
Pharaoh
RealGM
And1: 4,565

Post#178 » by Pharaoh » Sun Jul 26, 2015 2:00 pm

If memory serves the triangle has never worked without Tex Winter.

I didn't really wanna debate the roster fits from patbetic Laker/Knick/Wolves teams in the triangle.

Was more hopeful someone with time to kill would watch some vids and learn something.
BadMofoPimp
RealGM
And1: 11,593

Post#179 » by BadMofoPimp » Sun Jul 26, 2015 10:01 pm

Pharaoh wrote:

When did National Hot Dog day last more than one day? For all I know, it ended July 23rd.

Provin Ya'll Wrong!!!
vic
Veteran
And1: 1,044

Post#180 » by vic » Mon Jul 27, 2015 2:02 pm

You need 2-way wings, 2-way shooting bigs, and you can't allow low iq players on the court. Assist/turnover ratio is crucial. Shooting point guards are icing on the cake IF they are plus defenders.
Weaver & Casey, govern yourselves accordingly!

Return to Detroit Pistons