Re: The Official Off-season Thread: Part 2 

Post#201 » by sfballa13 » Sat Aug 1, 2015 5:33 am

Is Kief on his way to Detroit?
hoophabit
Analyst
And1: 1,350

Post#202 » by hoophabit » Sat Aug 1, 2015 12:28 pm

OMG, I hope not. I think the record demonstrates that they feed off each other and it makes matters worse. Time for the twins to grow up and lead separate lives. It's possible, as I have identical twin cousins and they managed it quite well.
detroitKG
RealGM
And1: 5,509

Post#203 » by detroitKG » Sat Aug 1, 2015 3:31 pm

Pistons Insider on the back up PG situation..

[tweet]https://twitter.com/Chapman1051/status/627496975026368512[/tweet]
zeebneeb
RealGM
And1: 10,618

Post#204 » by zeebneeb » Sat Aug 1, 2015 6:32 pm

detroitKG wrote:Pistons Insider on the back up PG situation..

[tweet]https://twitter.com/Chapman1051/status/627496975026368512[/tweet]
Makes perfect sense. SVG wants to start winning, and that podcast someone posted (thanks btw, what a great listen)had him say best thing about the playoffs is being in them. Dinwiddie is unstable, turnover prone, and can't shoot. Yes he has had some good games, and yes he is young, but when you want to win,you want to have a steady hand control your second unit, which has a rookie on it. Until jennings gets back (unless he's traded, and I hope that isn't the case)Blake offers oodles of experience, and vet leadership.

That second unit is really damn nice;

Blake
Meeks
Johnson
Tolliver/Morris/Johnson
Baynes/Anthony/ilyasova

All good news for winning alot of games.
treefi
Analyst
And1: 795

Post#205 » by treefi » Sat Aug 1, 2015 6:50 pm

We're all going to freak out when Stanley wins the starting SF spot by opening night. :D
MotownMadness
RealGM
And1: 21,866

Post#206 » by MotownMadness » Sat Aug 1, 2015 7:03 pm

treefi wrote:We're all going to freak out when Stanley wins the starting SF spot by opening night. :D

I'm starting to think he might. It's kinda rare for 19 year old players to already show the type of court awareness and defensive instincts that he already does. Combine that with his NBA ready body and it's probably a no brainer.

Only thing I could possibly see stopping him from starting would just be the fact of him being a rookie which I don't agree with.
mattao313
General Manager
And1: 4,409

Post#207 » by mattao313 » Sat Aug 1, 2015 7:08 pm

We shall see, I personally don't see him starting even the best rookies that win ROY are for the most part net negative players. Morris will be a waayy better shooter at this point.
Championships
zeebneeb
RealGM
And1: 10,618

Post#208 » by zeebneeb » Sat Aug 1, 2015 7:20 pm

mattao313 wrote:We shall see, I personally don't see him starting even the best rookies that win ROY are for the most part net negative players. Morris will be a waayy better shooter at this point.
That's what I'm thinking. Morris is actually a killer shooter, from 2, and three. That's his job in the starting unit, then comes Johnson for a different look. He will be the one slashing into the paint when Reggie sits, and Blake/jennings comes in.

It seems perfect to me.
detroitKG
RealGM
And1: 5,509

Post#209 » by detroitKG » Sat Aug 1, 2015 7:31 pm

I guess I have a bit more faith in Johnson's jumper than most..I don't see Morris being that much better of a shooter to be honest..
Definitely more proven at the NBA level but we'll see.
Phenomenonsense
Bench Warmer
And1: 528

Post#210 » by Phenomenonsense » Sun Aug 2, 2015 5:38 am

treefi wrote:We're all going to freak out when Stanley wins the starting SF spot by opening night. :D

That means one of two things: A) SJ is living up to all of the hype here, or B) Morris' conviction/attitude is already too suspect for SVG's liking. Obviously it would be somewhere between there, but I'd be wary if it landed too far in the B) portion of that spectrum.
Blkbrd671
RealGM
And1: 4,819

Post#211 » by Blkbrd671 » Sun Aug 2, 2015 5:43 am

i wouldn't be suprised to see SJ take over backup pg duty at some point.
Phenomenonsense
Bench Warmer
And1: 528

Post#212 » by Phenomenonsense » Sun Aug 2, 2015 1:10 pm

Blkbrd671 wrote:i wouldn't be suprised to see SJ take over backup pg duty at some point.

Jeez.
BadMofoPimp
RealGM
And1: 11,588

Post#213 » by BadMofoPimp » Sun Aug 2, 2015 7:13 pm

Phenomenonsense wrote:

That means one of two things: A) SJ is living up to all of the hype here, or B) Morris' conviction/attitude is already too suspect for SVG's liking. Obviously it would be somewhere between there, but I'd be wary if it landed too far in the B) portion of that spectrum.

Or, C) Morris starts at the 4.

Provin Ya'll Wrong!!!
hoophabit
Analyst

Post#214 » by hoophabit » Sun Aug 2, 2015 9:34 pm

BadMofoPimp wrote:
Phenomenonsense wrote:

We're not so flush at either forward spot that there aren't going to be minutes enough to go around. The start stuff will sort itself out camp to early season. I will say that so far being the guy in front of Stanley doesn't seem like a comfortable spot.
BadMofoPimp
RealGM

Post#215 » by BadMofoPimp » Mon Aug 3, 2015 1:44 am

hoophabit wrote:
BadMofoPimp wrote:
Phenomenonsense wrote:

We're not so flush at either forward spot that there aren't going to be minutes enough to go around. The start stuff will sort itself out camp to early season. I will say that so far being the guy in front of Stanley doesn't seem like a comfortable spot.

I think it will be most important to see who is starting after the All-Star break.

Provin Ya'll Wrong!!!
hoophabit
Analyst

Post#216 » by hoophabit » Mon Aug 3, 2015 2:48 am

BadMofoPimp wrote:
hoophabit wrote:
BadMofoPimp wrote:

I think it will be most important to see who is starting after the All-Star break.

I agree that will be most telling, but most important is that they both play reasonably well. If that's the case things are looking up.
BadMofoPimp
RealGM

Post#217 » by BadMofoPimp » Mon Aug 3, 2015 12:32 pm

hoophabit wrote:
BadMofoPimp wrote:
hoophabit wrote:

I agree that will be most telling, but most important is that they both play reasonably well. If that's the case things are looking up.

I bet Morris comes to play with a chip on his shoulder to prove people wrong after all that has happened. He does fit the Pistons blue collar tough mentality. Johnson will have much to prove for himself after losing his mother and his desire to be one of the best at his position. This will be a very exciting season.

Provin Ya'll Wrong!!!
ImHeisenberg
Head Coach
And1: 2,323

Post#218 » by ImHeisenberg » Mon Aug 3, 2015 2:07 pm

I feel like there's not a lot of middle ground for Morris. He's either going to really fit in and rehab the image the league has of him. Or, he's going to blow up, especially playing without his brother. If the latter case happens, I could see him taking a ridiculously low buyout to re-join his brother somewhere.
MrBigShot
RealGM
And1: 17,027

Post#219 » by MrBigShot » Mon Aug 3, 2015 4:15 pm

People sleeping on Dinwiddie. He sucked in summer league but he's not really suited for that type of unorganized free flowing type of play, and he needs a full team of NBA-level guys to really shine. No amount of poor SL performances will take away the two nights he outplayed Rose and Wall back to back last season. He's better than a 35 year old Steve Blake.
"They say you miss 100% of the shots you take" - Mike James
DocRI
Starter
And1: 762

Post#220 » by DocRI » Mon Aug 3, 2015 8:13 pm

MrBigShot wrote:People sleeping on Dinwiddie. He sucked in summer league but he's not really suited for that type of unorganized free flowing type of play, and he needs a full team of NBA-level guys to really shine. No amount of poor SL performances will take away the two nights he outplayed Rose and Wall back to back last season. He's better than a 35 year old Steve Blake.

Anything from SL, both good or bad, needs to be taken with a salt lick.

That said, I'm sorry, but I completely disagree; two good games in the regular season do not make up for lackluster performance down the stretch of this rookie season and then an abysmal SL. I SO wish he was better than Steve Blake right now, but the fact SVG went and got Blake shows that he doesn't trust Dinwiddie to backup RJ yet. Blake won't win us games, but he won't lose them either; at this point, Dinwiddie puts the latter option on the table.

And didn't people make those same "he's not suited for SL play" excuses every year for Darko, too? But a raw-as-sushi Drummond dominated SL, and KCP was dynamic las year? Like I said, take it for what it's worth, but a bad SL showing is just that — bad.

Return to Detroit Pistons