ImageImageImage

Official 2016 NBA Draft thread

Moderators: Cowology, Snakebites, theBigLip, dVs33

ElectricMayhem
RealGM
And1: 11,163

Re: Official 2016 NBA Draft thread 

Post#41 » by ElectricMayhem » Thu Dec 24, 2015 2:08 pm

I've been on the Sabonis bandwagon a long time.

If he's not around, though, then eff it - let's just stay in state.
1. Denzel Valentine
2. Kahlil Felder
At the end of the day, it's not about wins and losses. Teamwork, fair play, and good sportsmanship make champions of us all.

Go arbitrary assortment of athletes! Beat the other arbitrary assortment of athletes or my mood will suffer!
Liqourish
RealGM
And1: 2,245

Post#42 » by Liqourish » Sun Dec 27, 2015 11:51 pm

I've been watching alot of highschool footage of Henry Ellenson and I like his game. He's a PF with range. He's a freshman at Marquette and I haven't seen alot of Marquette games this season. I saw their game against LSU and he looked good. He's averaging almost 17 pts and 10 rebs and has a nice stroke, good hands, good vision and plays team basketball. I think he's a late 1st rd pick.
Finn McCool
Senior
And1: 270

Post#43 » by Finn McCool » Mon Dec 28, 2015 10:23 am

The next Serge Ibaka.... Pascal Siakam. Although, I am not sure if he will declare for the draft. Could be the type of guy that stays in school to earn his degree. Not much of a 3-pt. shooter, but he's experimenting with it.
MotownMadness
RealGM
And1: 21,884

Post#44 » by MotownMadness » Sun Jan 24, 2016 1:22 am

I want Valentine if he's still there. He doesn't have all the flashy upside but he's going to be a good NBA player from day 1
DBC10
General Manager
And1: 2,799

Post#45 » by DBC10 » Sun Jan 24, 2016 2:22 am

Valentine please
El Chivo
Starter
And1: 969

Post#46 » by El Chivo » Sun Feb 7, 2016 1:41 pm

We look like lottery bound once again
You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows.
russkopp
Analyst
And1: 1,043

Post#47 » by russkopp » Sun Feb 7, 2016 2:50 pm

El Chivo wrote:We look like lottery bound once again

But this time with the added advantage of having an even worse pick!!

I'm not sure we're 100% lotto bound yet but this team has a true problem with effort and Charlotte will make a push.

Really, any team that tries every game may knock us out of playoff contention.
Fire Troy Weaver
El Chivo
Starter
And1: 969

Post#48 » by El Chivo » Tue Feb 9, 2016 11:30 am

What's the story between 10th and 14th pick?
You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows.
Laimbeer
RealGM
And1: 14,060

Post#49 » by Laimbeer » Wed Feb 10, 2016 3:10 pm

ElectricMayhem wrote:I've been on the Sabonis bandwagon a long time.

If he's not around, though, then eff it - let's just stay in state.
1. Denzel Valentine
2. Kahlil Felder

Love what I've seen of Felder. But at that size he's a change of pace, sparkplug kind of guy. We might have a shot at him in the second, but I'm not sure he's first round material.
DocRI
Starter
And1: 762

Post#50 » by DocRI » Wed Feb 10, 2016 7:33 pm

Purely curious and unabashed homer post forthcoming!

What does everyone think of Ben Bentil (PF, Providence)? Has a 100%-NBA-ready body and has really shown growth this year, especially in developing his range. Scouts all come to PC games to watch Kris Dunn, but many wind up drooling over Bentil just as much, which could lead to him declaring (especially if the Friars have a good tourney run).

The thing with Bentil is, he's a sophomore, but he's literally only played basketball for FIVE YEARS; that could mean his learning curve is much steeper and his potential much greater than others in this draft. I can't help but think of Ziggy Ansah on the Lions and how well that has worked out. All blatant homerism aside, I really think he could be a slam dunk if we've got a mid-first-rounder and he's on the board.
MotownMadness
RealGM
And1: 21,884

Post#51 » by MotownMadness » Mon Feb 15, 2016 5:13 am

I'm going to be pissed if Valentine is there when we pick and we pass him up.
No-Man
RealGM
And1: 3,479

Post#52 » by No-Man » Tue Feb 16, 2016 10:40 am

I would target a secondary ballhandler that could allow you to take the ball off Reggie's hands sometimes.

Malik Newman is the best prospect in terms of upside in that sense, better athlete and passer than Murray, he has been shadowed because he is playing for Howland and in a smallish school, but his upside is there.

Safer choices could be guys like LeVert, although his injury history is scary.
I guess Murray, one of the PGs, or Grayson Allen could fill that role to some degree, there are many open options there.

Uthoff in the 2nd round seems like a perfect fit if he is there, I give you him and Newman in my first try at a Full Mock,

http://basketball.realgm.com/nba/draft/draft_simulator/view/154587/
whitehops
General Manager
And1: 6,503

Post#53 » by whitehops » Thu Feb 25, 2016 9:06 pm

now that we officially have our pick, have a decent idea of where we're going to draft and have seen most of the college season i guess it's a decent time to talk rookies. few things i like about draft season this year:

- we don't have a clear need so we can pretty much go BPA. we could use a depth at each roster spot so pretty much all players can be valued evenly in terms of their position.
- we don't necessarily need or want a young player to develop like most teams in the top 10 or so do, which means we might be more tempted to go for older players that will take less time to develop. i'm talking about guys like Buddy Hield or Denzel Valentine.
- we've now seen how the team plays, the type of players we've acquired, etc. for two years which should give us some better idea who we might pick. stuff like versatility on the wings, big physical centers, point guards that can run the pick and roll, etc. that just means that we can rule out players like Skal Labissiere who isn't anything like the power forwards we have.

there are still a lot of moving parts in terms of where we draft, who declares, etc. but i'm looking forward to draft season, even if i'm still bummed that the motiejunas trade didn't work out.
BadMofoPimp
RealGM
And1: 11,599

Post#54 » by BadMofoPimp » Thu Feb 25, 2016 9:08 pm

I think SVG trades the draft pick in a package before the Draft for the player he wants. That way, he gets a developed player instead of a Rookie he can't use that much.

Provin Ya'll Wrong!!!
treefi
Analyst
And1: 795

Post#55 » by treefi » Thu Feb 25, 2016 9:58 pm

DocRI wrote:Purely curious and unabashed homer post forthcoming!

What does everyone think of Ben Bentil (PF, Providence)? Has a 100%-NBA-ready body and has really shown growth this year, especially in developing his range. Scouts all come to PC games to watch Kris Dunn, but many wind up drooling over Bentil just as much, which could lead to him declaring (especially if the Friars have a good tourney run).

The thing with Bentil is, he's a sophomore, but he's literally only played basketball for FIVE YEARS; that could mean his learning curve is much steeper and his potential much greater than others in this draft. I can't help but think of Ziggy Ansah on the Lions and how well that has worked out. All blatant homerism aside, I really think he could be a slam dunk if we've got a mid-first-rounder and he's on the board.

With where we're projected to be selecting, I would be THRILLED with Ben Bentil or Denzel Valentine. I have no idea why everyone is sleeping on Bentil. If we move up, Jamal Murray and Henry Ellenson are on my wish list. Wade Baldwin is another good option in the Bentil/Valentine range, and if we move down Grayson Allen, Malik Beasley, Stephen Zimmerman, Domantas Sabonis, and Kay Felder all make for interesting picks in the 20s or early 2nd round.
treefi
Analyst
And1: 795

Post#56 » by treefi » Thu Feb 25, 2016 10:08 pm

Bentil should get a LOT better at shooting considering he is already a 3-point threat in college after five years of playing basketball and settling in at 80% (Drummond, wtf) from the free throw line. He scored 42 points and made six 3's with 12 rebounds to go along with the offensive performance vs. Marquette's Henry Ellenson, projected to go in the top 10 or 5 draft selections.
vic
Veteran
And1: 1,044

Post#57 » by vic » Thu Feb 25, 2016 10:29 pm

It's going to have to be Zhou qi we need a long armed mobile stretch 4 for the Anthony Davises and Kristof Porzongis and Karl towns of the league

If not him then Ben Bentil

If not Bentil then Valentine
You need 2-way wings, 2-way shooting bigs, and you can't allow low iq players on the court. Assist/turnover ratio is crucial. Shooting point guards are icing on the cake IF they are plus defenders.
Weaver & Casey, govern yourselves accordingly!
ayatooma
Sophomore
And1: 2

Post#58 » by ayatooma » Thu Feb 25, 2016 11:24 pm

Valentine in round 1

Felder in round 2

Good backup point and good backup 2/3. Heck, I think Valentine could end up helping at 1 also.
Spider156
Head Coach
And1: 1,371

Post#59 » by Spider156 » Thu Feb 25, 2016 11:49 pm

BadMofoPimp wrote:I think SVG trades the draft pick in a package before the Draft for the player he wants. That way, he gets a developed player instead of a Rookie he can't use that much.

This is definitely going to happen. Either that or he'll get a senior at 22 years old
Defense wins championships
DetroitPistons
RealGM
And1: 3,441

Post#60 » by DetroitPistons » Fri Feb 26, 2016 12:07 am

BadMofoPimp wrote:I think SVG trades the draft pick in a package before the Draft for the player he wants. That way, he gets a developed player instead of a Rookie he can't use that much.

This

We should still trade the pick for immediate help. The pick for one or two really nice bench players is what I would be looking at. We don't need anymore inexperienced youth.

Return to Detroit Pistons