ImageImageImage

How can you be disappointed with this years team so far?

Moderators: Cowology, Snakebites, theBigLip, dVs33

bjones521
Pro Prospect
And1: 392

Re: How can you be disappointed with this years team so far? 

Post#41 » by bjones521 » Sun Nov 29, 2015 12:10 am

Reggie Jackson is what worries me. KCP is much better than he was last year. Still needs to get better at shooting but still better than last year. Drummond has taken a huge step up as well. You can see it in his jump hook (I wish SVG would go to him more often, especially when he has a smaller defender on him).

Stanley is still a rookie and still learning. I think Stanley is further along than KCP was 3 years ago. Some SF's take time to develop (ask Butler, George and Leonard) Illyasova pump fakes a lot for my taste but he is shooting 40+ percent from 3 and speeds the floor. His D may not be the best but he takes a lot of charges.

For me....the only negative is Reggie. He just hasn't learned to play PG yet. He over dribbles, isn't really a great shooter and heavily relies on the pick n roll which gets our offense stagnant. He can really get hot and can get to the cup at will sometimes but he just doesn't run the offense as affectively than Spence or Blake when they get to play with he starters.
MotownMadness
RealGM
And1: 21,884

Post#42 » by MotownMadness » Sun Nov 29, 2015 12:54 am

bjones521 wrote:Reggie Jackson is what worries me. KCP is much better than he was last year. Still needs to get better at shooting but still better than last year. Drummond has taken a huge step up as well. You can see it in his jump hook (I wish SVG would go to him more often, especially when he has a smaller defender on him).

Stanley is still a rookie and still learning. I think Stanley is further along than KCP was 3 years ago. Some SF's take time to develop (ask Butler, George and Leonard) Illyasova pump fakes a lot for my taste but he is shooting 40+ percent from 3 and speeds the floor. His D may not be the best but he takes a lot of charges.

For me....the only negative is Reggie. He just hasn't learned to play PG yet. He over dribbles, isn't really a great shooter and heavily relies on the pick n roll which gets our offense stagnant. He can really get hot and can get to the cup at will sometimes but he just doesn't run the offense as affectively than Spence or Blake when they get to play with he starters.

IN fairness though we wouldn't have even this many wins without him. He can be frustrating at times but he's capable of taking over games and is still having a good season overall
Liqourish
RealGM
And1: 2,245

Post#43 » by Liqourish » Sun Nov 29, 2015 3:59 am

bjones521 wrote:Reggie Jackson is what worries me. KCP is much better than he was last year. Still needs to get better at shooting but still better than last year. Drummond has taken a huge step up as well. You can see it in his jump hook (I wish SVG would go to him more often, especially when he has a smaller defender on him).

And I would agree that Reggie needs to work on some things. I like the fact that SVG sat down and watched film with him to show him what he was doing last year compared to this year. But that's the thing... it's a work in progress. We're still in November. We're no where near the All-Star break yet. We'd been missing our two back-up guards and our starters (sans Ersan) have logged some big minutes so far. While encountering one helluva schedule thus far.

We've played over half of our Western conference road games. We've played 4 back-to-backs, 10 road games to only 6 home games (with only one stretch of back to back home games). A .500 while going through all of that with such a new, young team is remarkable. And yet people want to dog our players, complain about what they perceive is poor body language, etc.

There is nothing wrong with constructive criticism. It's the constant bashing and exaggerated "this team sucks", "our players suck", "we aren't a playoff team", etc that is unnecessary.
Cowology
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 3,686

Post#44 » by Cowology » Sun Nov 29, 2015 4:00 am

There are two different types of coaches, those that attempt to maximize the ability of the players they have... and those who try and expand the abilities of the players they have.

Carlisle was excellent and getting the most out of the talent he had while he was here. He looked at guys skill sets and put them in positions to succeed and it yielded immediate results. It also put a cap on how far the team could go. Brown came in, completely broke down the way we played and forced our guys to develop. It was a bumpier road, uglier but ultimately resulted in a stronger roster. SVG is more like Brown.

At times you can look at the club and wonder why we are playing bad or struggling. We are not playing up to the teams ability. But Stan is not simply trying to win the next game; he is trying to build a team that can compete for an extended period of time. It's like a shooting coach changing the way a player shoots; it's going to a short term setback as they relearn muscle memory but once they have it they will be stronger for it.

Don't judge the unfinished statue. Judge the polished product.
Liqourish
RealGM
And1: 2,245

Post#45 » by Liqourish » Sun Nov 29, 2015 4:06 am

There are two different types of coaches, those that attempt to maximize the ability of the players they have... and those who try and expand the abilities of the players they have.

Carlisle was excellent and getting the most out of the talent he had while he was here. He looked at guys skill sets and put them in positions to succeed and it yielded immediate results. It also put a cap on how far the team could go. Brown came in, completely broke down the way we played and forced our guys to develop. It was a bumpier road, uglier but ultimately resulted in a stronger roster. SVG is more like Brown.

At times you can look at the club and wonder why we are playing bad or struggling. We are not playing up to the teams ability. But Stan is not simply trying to win the next game; he is trying to build a team that can compete for an extended period of time. It's like a shooting coach changing the way a player shoots; it's going to a short term setback as they relearn muscle memory but once they have it they will be stronger for it.

Don't judge the unfinished statue. Judge the polished product.

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

I have to think some of these guys are just to young to remember the ups and downs of previous teams and coaches. We are watching the beginning of a wonderful team. You can see the pieces starting to develop, but we aren't there yet. Patience is a virtue that not everyone possesses.
Todd3
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,086

Post#46 » by Todd3 » Sun Nov 29, 2015 4:54 am

RSCD3_ wrote:Everyone was up on a cloud with the start. Now that the play level has normalized people are upset like they've lost something.

Also FWIW, they have the 5th hardest Strength Of Schedule according to BBallref, SRS is 0.66 which isnt too bad in and of itself

That was kind of a tease now that we seem like more of a .500 type team. I expected somewhere around 43-44 wins this year, which is what we are on pace for so I'm not disappointed, but they looked like a 50 win team during that start and got me thinking it might be one of those cinderella seasons.

However I still think we can win 43-44 as is, and that Jennings has potential to add a few to that total and make us a 46-47 win team in the end if everything goes right.
Todd3
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,086

Post#47 » by Todd3 » Sun Nov 29, 2015 5:12 am

Have to remember that this is only Reggie's first full season as a starting PG. Its actually very similar to Chauncey's first year here. He came from being a scorer off the bench for a playoff team in MIN to having to run a team for the first time at 26 yrs old. About the same age and scenario with Reggie here. Chauncey was just a score first guard his first year here too, and had yet to learn how to truly play the position until Brown came. I remember at times at the beginning of '02 thinking Atkins was better because Chauncey shot too much. Difference was he took over a veteran playoff team coming off a 50 win season with the reigning defensive player of the year, while Reggie took over a young lotto team still learning their own positions as well with him. So we do have to give him time to master the position.

The heavy pick & roll game is probably more Stan than him. That is just Stan's offense.
Uncle Mxy
General Manager
And1: 1,943

Post#48 » by Uncle Mxy » Sun Nov 29, 2015 3:33 pm

Cowology wrote:Carlisle was excellent and getting the most out of the talent he had while he was here. He looked at guys skill sets and put them in positions to succeed and it yielded immediate results. It also put a cap on how far the team could go. Brown came in, completely broke down the way we played and forced our guys to develop. It was a bumpier road, uglier but ultimately resulted in a stronger roster. SVG is more like Brown.

So, will SVG engineer a mid-season trade for a Rasheed Wallace-like player, like what happened with Larry Brown?

LB had more to work with than Carlisle ever did.

Return to Detroit Pistons