ImageImageImage

Who should we target in the off season: 2016?

Moderators: Cowology, Snakebites, theBigLip, dVs33

MotownMadness
RealGM
And1: 21,871

Re: Who should we target in the off season: 2016? 

Post#741 » by MotownMadness » Thu May 26, 2016 12:44 pm

DET_Athletics wrote:
MotownMadness wrote:
ImHeisenberg wrote:You would be a fool to give a first round pick for Gibson. Only teams that would give that up (and very few would) are teams that are drafting in the 25-30 range.

That's why I went with a lottery protected pick 2 years from now.

i agree with this, this is the only way i think baynes should stay in town, gibson can cover up all of baynes short comings, and they would give pretty good production off the bench. then take all of your money and put it into a PG.

As long as it is protected like I said then I think it would be OK to do at this point where we're at. That would still give us two years to work out any kinks to make sure we are giving them a pick in the 20s. Plus we would have a exactly what we are looking for this summer in the backup 4 while only spending a couple mil when you factor in dumping Meeks in the deal. This would still leave us around 10-12 mil to get our backup PG and possibly another vet at a position of choosing.
ImHeisenberg
Head Coach
And1: 2,323

Post#742 » by ImHeisenberg » Thu May 26, 2016 8:06 pm

Why not sign Gibson next summer and keep our draft pick?
MotownMadness
RealGM

Post#743 » by MotownMadness » Thu May 26, 2016 8:49 pm

ImHeisenberg wrote:Why not sign Gibson next summer and keep our draft pick?

He probably won't sign here. He probably will though if he plays here a full season and gets some playoff action.
BadMofoPimp
RealGM
And1: 11,593

Post#744 » by BadMofoPimp » Thu May 26, 2016 11:37 pm

I am for trading this years 1st for Gibson. Bobby Porter has earned Gibsons spot on the Bulls but if Pau leaves, I think the Bulls keep Gibsond around.

Provin Ya'll Wrong!!!
sinnombre2323
Sophomore
And1: 32

Post#745 » by sinnombre2323 » Fri May 27, 2016 11:15 am

So ur basically throwing at the garbage a 1st 18 round pick, to have a one dimensional declining injury plague average one year rental player. Sure that's absolutely something u can't find anywhere these days................
Yeah that's the way u keep building up Bob
coordinator0
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,311

Post#746 » by coordinator0 » Fri May 27, 2016 4:52 pm

I feel like I shouldn't be, but I'm intrigued by Meyers Leonard. This is from Portland's SB Nation site so the homer feel is here yet it's a good article nonetheless:

http://www.blazersedge.com/2016/3/25/11303358/portland-trail-blazers-meyers-leonard-shoulder-injury-surgery-stats-analysis

But he's also out for 6-8 months as of early April because of shoulder surgery. Leonard's restricted free agency is going to be one to watch. His value as a player overall is pretty debatable, and then there's the chance he might not be back on the court until 2017. Portland also has a ton of cap space (like most other teams) so giving him an offer sheet they won't match could be difficult.

Leonard is still only 24 and fits the mold of the stretch 5 which is growing more and more popular, but is he that "big" 4/5 that the Pistons apparently want? It's hard to say what Van Gundy really wants since there are a few ways to go there. There's a lot of contrasting points with Leonard, both in terms of him possibly be a target for Detroit and as a player on the court.
BIG BEN'S FRO
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 116

Post#747 » by BIG BEN'S FRO » Fri May 27, 2016 5:52 pm

Thoughts on Noel or Okafor? Both could be available.
coordinator0
Lead Assistant

Post#748 » by coordinator0 » Fri May 27, 2016 6:00 pm

BIG BEN'S FRO wrote:Thoughts on Noel or Okafor? Both could be available.

Not for any price Detroit could/would pay. Both are horrible fits with Drummond anyways. If a team pays what it would take to get one of them then either of them would have to be viewed as a starter for that team going forward. That can't happen for the Pistons, it would destroy their (and most teams with a potential pairing like that) offense.
The Penguin
"Beat The Commish" Champion/Mr. Clean Slate
And1: 4,107

Post#749 » by The Penguin » Fri May 27, 2016 6:10 pm

coordinator0 wrote:I feel like I shouldn't be, but I'm intrigued by Meyers Leonard. This is from Portland's SB Nation site so the homer feel is here yet it's a good article nonetheless:

http://www.blazersedge.com/2016/3/25/11303358/portland-trail-blazers-meyers-leonard-shoulder-injury-surgery-stats-analysis

But he's also out for 6-8 months as of early April because of shoulder surgery. Leonard's restricted free agency is going to be one to watch. His value as a player overall is pretty debatable, and then there's the chance he might not be back on the court until 2017. Portland also has a ton of cap space (like most other teams) so giving him an offer sheet they won't match could be difficult.

Leonard is still only 24 and fits the mold of the stretch 5 which is growing more and more popular, but is he that "big" 4/5 that the Pistons apparently want? It's hard to say what Van Gundy really wants since there are a few ways to go there. There's a lot of contrasting points with Leonard, both in terms of him possibly be a target for Detroit and as a player on the court.

Leonard is high on my list of potential targets. I think he'll be quite a bit cheaper than Ryno, plus can actually play the 5 and he doesn't have the degenerative injury concerns of D-Mo. Portland had pretty high hopes with him coming into the year, but he lost his role a bit to Ed Davis & Harkless (when they went smaller) and Portland might have their sights set on a more defensive big like Whiteside or Biyombo to split time with Plumlee, so they may decline to match an offer. I would much rather use our FA money to sign a "stretch 5" to allow us to play "5 out" (or 4 out around Reggie penetrating) and fill the backup PG spot through the draft (Ullis / Jackson / Baldwin) + a bargain basement value PG (I don't see any backup PGs worth paying a premium).
mercury
Head Coach
And1: 679

Post#750 » by mercury » Fri May 27, 2016 7:30 pm

coordinator0 wrote:

Not for any price Detroit could/would pay. Both are horrible fits with Drummond anyways. If a team pays what it would take to get one of them then either of them would have to be viewed as a starter for that team going forward. That can't happen for the Pistons, it would destroy their (and most teams with a potential pairing like that) offense.

They both should have good value around the league... the only way this works is for the Pistons to be a 3rd partner to acquire a different player that is a better fit.
ImHeisenberg
Head Coach
And1: 2,323

Post#751 » by ImHeisenberg » Fri May 27, 2016 7:32 pm

MotownMadness wrote:
ImHeisenberg wrote:Why not sign Gibson next summer and keep our draft pick?

He probably won't sign here. He probably will though if he plays here a full season and gets some playoff action.

That logic really doesn't register with me. Taj isn't going to get a monster payday, so having his bird rights won't offer any advantage.

It sounds like a high risk with little reward. Gibson's best seasons were a couple years ago.
Kilo
RealGM
And1: 5,101

Post#752 » by Kilo » Fri May 27, 2016 10:19 pm

Jahlil should be traded for the 4th overall pick - PHX gets the center, Phila drafts Dunn.
Weaver = Hinkie
VW to Portland :pray:
Pharaoh
RealGM
And1: 4,565

Post#753 » by Pharaoh » Fri May 27, 2016 10:35 pm

Suns have Tyson Chandler & Alex Len at C Kilo

Noel to Boston for #3 would be interesting IMO
coordinator0
Lead Assistant

Post#754 » by coordinator0 » Fri May 27, 2016 11:35 pm

Yeah, the Suns are probably hoping Bender drops to them. Much better fit for their roster and honestly I think he will end up being a better player than Okafor anyways.

Noel to Boston for their top pick (or a package of them) has been debated a lot on the T&T board. I think the general consensus is Celtics fans don't like it and there are mixed feelings from the 76ers fans. It makes a lot of sense to me though. If Boston is going to take a step forward they need a significant change/upgrade at center. Noel fits, but Okafor could too depending on who Stevens wants to build around.
DBC10
General Manager
And1: 2,799

Post#755 » by DBC10 » Sat May 28, 2016 12:26 am

I think the Celtics will still try to make a play for Jimmy Butler somehow and dangle the #3 along with their other picks.

They're starving to pay a star-caliber player since they have an insane amount of cap space.
Pugz
Rookie
And1: 168

Post#756 » by Pugz » Sat May 28, 2016 1:57 am

The Penguin wrote:
coordinator0 wrote:I feel like I shouldn't be, but I'm intrigued by Meyers Leonard. This is from Portland's SB Nation site so the homer feel is here yet it's a good article nonetheless:

Leonard is high on my list of potential targets. I think he'll be quite a bit cheaper than Ryno, plus can actually play the 5 and he doesn't have the degenerative injury concerns of D-Mo. Portland had pretty high hopes with him coming into the year, but he lost his role a bit to Ed Davis & Harkless (when they went smaller) and Portland might have their sights set on a more defensive big like Whiteside or Biyombo to split time with Plumlee, so they may decline to match an offer. I would much rather use our FA money to sign a "stretch 5" to allow us to play "5 out" (or 4 out around Reggie penetrating) and fill the backup PG spot through the draft (Ullis / Jackson / Baldwin) + a bargain basement value PG (I don't see any backup PGs worth paying a premium).
the only thing that makes meyers cheaper is his injury. he turned down a $12M/year extension.
i can see them letting him walk now, though. if we're interested then it may happen, but i think point guard is our main concern now.
ducler
Cold Hard Gameday Facts
And1: 8,942

Post#757 » by ducler » Mon May 30, 2016 4:54 pm

DBC10 wrote:I think the Celtics will still try to make a play for Jimmy Butler somehow and dangle the #3 along with their other picks.

They're starving to pay a star-caliber player since they have an insane amount of cap space.

Yeah I could see Celtics and Lakers pushing hard at Butler and Cousins.
mattao313
General Manager
And1: 4,409

Post#758 » by mattao313 » Mon May 30, 2016 7:38 pm

Jon Leuer? Idk about his defense but has a nice offensive skill set and can rebound.
Championships
Spider156
Head Coach
And1: 1,371

Post#759 » by Spider156 » Mon May 30, 2016 7:46 pm

coordinator0 wrote:

They'd ask for a lot for Okafor. He shoots the 3, at least the midrange better than any player we have. He'd be a great fit with Drummond since he can play C too. But they'd ask for Harris and a first round pick at least. I bet they'd want Stanley too. Not happening
Defense wins championships
MotownMadness
RealGM

Post#760 » by MotownMadness » Mon May 30, 2016 8:16 pm

Spider156 wrote:
coordinator0 wrote:

They'd ask for a lot for Okafor. He shoots the 3, at least the midrange better than any player we have. He'd be a great fit with Drummond since he can play C too. But they'd ask for Harris and a first round pick at least. I bet they'd want Stanley too. Not happening

Okafor is a Center and not a PF though. You definitely don't want him out trying to defend perimeter players at all.

Return to Detroit Pistons