ImageImageImage

We take SA's back-up centers, they take an executive to be assistant GM...

Moderators: Snakebites, theBigLip, dVs33

Kilo
RealGM
And1: 5,101

We take SA's back-up centers, they take an executive to be assistant GM... 

Post#1 » by Kilo » Wed Jul 20, 2016 11:26 am

The Spurs have finally found general manager R.C. Buford's right-hand man.

According to The Vertical's Adrian Wojnarowski, the Spurs have hired Detroit Pistons assistant general manager Brian Wright to fill the same position in San Antonio.

Wright will be taking over a post vacated by both Sean Marks, who left the team in February to become the Brooklyn Nets' new general manager, and Scott Layden, who was appointed as general manager of the Minnesota Timberwolves after four seasons with the Spurs.

The Pistons hired Wright in 2014 after he worked his way up from intern to director of college scouting with the Orlando Magic. He also served as scouting manager and provided player development oversight.

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/spurs/article/Spurs-hire-Pistons-executive-Brian-Wright-as-8395928.php

Good to see that San Antonio organization likes our FO dudes I guess. Stan should steal their shooting coach - some how, some way. There is no salary cap for coaches afterall - pay him seven figures.
Weaver = Hinkie
VW to Portland :pray:
harisahmad
Ballboy
And1: 22

Re: We take SA's back-up centers, they take an executive to be assistant GM... 

Post#2 » by harisahmad » Wed Jul 20, 2016 2:26 pm

DEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEETTTRRRROOOOOOOIIITTTTTT BASKETBAAAAAAAAAAAALLLLLLLL
BadMofoPimp
RealGM
And1: 11,574

Post#3 » by BadMofoPimp » Wed Jul 20, 2016 3:13 pm

It may have been 5 years ago, but I remember Popovich give SVG mad props as a coaching strategist. They obviously respect each other.

Provin Ya'll Wrong!!!
chrbal
RealGM
And1: 1,651

Post#4 » by chrbal » Wed Jul 20, 2016 3:47 pm

Sucks to lose guys, but they are going to the Spurs and Pop is giving us credit. I'll take it.
Pharaoh
RealGM
And1: 4,565

Post#5 » by Pharaoh » Wed Jul 20, 2016 4:01 pm

I like this more than the Kings hiring our FO guys

Everyone agrees the Spurs know their **** - if they're hiring SVGs guys then obviously Stan's guys are pretty good!

Don't be surprised if Wright takes over for RC in a few years either
chrbal
RealGM
And1: 1,651

Post#6 » by chrbal » Wed Jul 20, 2016 4:09 pm

I don't mind losing guys to the Kings. But losing a guy from management to the kings vs the spurs is like the difference between your mom telling you you're handsome (kings) and a really attractive woman at the bar telling you (Spurs). Both are nice but you'd rather have the hot woman do it.
DBC10
General Manager
And1: 2,786

Post#7 » by DBC10 » Wed Jul 20, 2016 4:18 pm

I don't think we can steal their shooting coach unless we offer a King's ransom.

Even still, that guy is a Spurs lifer, I'm sure he's had more than ample opportunity to work for other FOs, but he's still there.
Pharaoh
RealGM

Post#8 » by Pharaoh » Wed Jul 20, 2016 4:28 pm

Found it interesting that we have SIX college & international scouts!

Not sure how many pro scouts we have but SVG & Gores need to be applauded for investing the money into it
bballnmike
Veteran
And1: 1,531

Post#9 » by bballnmike » Wed Jul 20, 2016 5:15 pm

Pharaoh wrote:Found it interesting that we have SIX college & international scouts!

Not sure how many pro scouts we have but SVG & Gores need to be applauded for investing the money into it

We have 4 I think, in total we have the biggest (or close to it) front office in the league.

The 2004 Pistons basically had five people in their front office: a general manager (Joe Dumars), his three closest confidantes (John Hammond, Scott Perry, George David), and an international scout (Tony Ronzone).

Now? The Pistons have Van Gundy, Bower, three assistant general managers, a basketball-operations director, four pro scouts, six college/international scouts, two analytics software engineers and a director of strategic planning. That’s 18 people.
That’s just the front-office increase. Then there are the various support people who have been added. Everywhere you look, you see more people. The 2004 Pistons had one video coordinator. The 2015 Pistons have three.

http://www.si.com/nba/2015/10/29/detroit-pistons-stan-van-gundy-reggie-jackson-andre-drummond-film-tape
Montanabadboy
Junior
And1: 241

Post#10 » by Montanabadboy » Wed Jul 20, 2016 5:27 pm

I wonder if we look to replace him or if we just roll with what we have since we seem to already be very well staffed. I feel like SA is getting the better end of this deal :D It's funny to me that our front office guys are getting poached. You would expect it from a team like SA, but why us? Not that our turn around hasn't been impressive, it's just that these are young guys who haven't even had time to build up their resume.
Detroit vs. Everybody :lift: :lift: :lift:
BadMofoPimp
RealGM
And1: 11,574

Post#11 » by BadMofoPimp » Wed Jul 20, 2016 5:39 pm

Based off that article, the rest of the scouting staff seems very good at what they do and have years of experience. Someone on that team probably has earned the right to lead scouting at this juncture. No problem with this.

Provin Ya'll Wrong!!!
Joe Berry
Veteran
And1: 418

Post#12 » by Joe Berry » Wed Jul 20, 2016 9:09 pm

Wright was already an assistant GM here, he is taking the same job in SA. I don't like it, i can understand if a guy leaves and gets a promotion somewhere else. I know its the Spurs and they are the best in the business but still SVG has to do a better job to keep his people in place because they are doing a great job and stability and continuity shouldnt stop at the player roster it can help in the front office too.
whitehops
General Manager
And1: 6,484

Post#13 » by whitehops » Thu Jul 21, 2016 2:05 am

his contract must have been up, i know teams don't usually let front office guys or coaches interview with other teams unless it's for a better position.

in that case there's not much you can do if he wants to go to the most stable front office in the league. plus, guys under pops and buford get a ton of opportunity which i'm sure is appealing to him since he's young.
Pharaoh
RealGM

Post#14 » by Pharaoh » Thu Jul 21, 2016 2:32 am

This just shows how impressive our turnaround has been AND how it's viewed around the league.

It's one thing for the Kings to take someone - for the Spurs to poach someone is impressive

Wright wants to be a GM - only limited number of vacancies to fill. Having our turnaround and the Spurs on his resume might be enough for him to get a gig in Sacramento, Chicago, LA, Washington, Phoenix etc
Snakebites
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 14,605

Post#15 » by Snakebites » Thu Jul 21, 2016 12:37 pm

Part of the reason we declined was the fact that Dumars did not keep up with the times in terms of hiring personnel.

While other front offices were getting larger and more analytical, we stayed the same. SVG changed all that.
Kilo
RealGM
And1: 5,101

Post#16 » by Kilo » Thu Jul 21, 2016 1:19 pm

Seems like Stan could have kept him if he wanted to given the move seems to be horizontal. But if you want to attract the best candidates, you need to give them the freedom to leave - and San Antonio is a elite organization to have on your resume if you want to be GM eventually. I don't like losing two front office personnel in one off-season though.
Weaver = Hinkie
VW to Portland :pray:
bballnmike
Veteran

Post#17 » by bballnmike » Thu Jul 21, 2016 2:48 pm

People are saying it's a horizontal move, but we currently have had 3 assistant GMs. The article says R.C. Buford may have finally found his right hand man, so... while the title may be the same, he might actually be in a higher position, or at least in a position with better opportunity to move up.
DBC10
General Manager
And1: 2,786

Post#18 » by DBC10 » Thu Jul 21, 2016 2:57 pm

Right hand man to the legendary RC Buford/Pop is way better than being a position that can be offered here, short of being an actual GM.

So I'm actually not too surprised. Sucks that there's been some turnover though. Hopefully we fill those spots without any turbulence.
bballnmike
Veteran

Post#19 » by bballnmike » Fri Jul 22, 2016 5:29 pm

Stan Van Gundy proud that other teams are poaching Detroit Pistons:

http://www.freep.com/story/sports/nba/pistons/2016/07/22/stan-van-gundy-detroit-pistons/87440494/

Return to Detroit Pistons