ImageImageImage

How does LeBron extending 3 years impact our window in the East?

Moderators: Cowology, Snakebites, theBigLip, dVs33

How does LeBron being in Cleveland three more seasons impact our window to win the conference?

It doesn't
79%
Delays it a year
3%
Delays it two years
7%
Delays it three years
10%

Total votes: 29

Laimbeer
RealGM
And1: 14,038

How does LeBron extending 3 years impact our window in the East? 

Post#1 » by Laimbeer » Fri Aug 12, 2016 1:07 pm

I had hoped he would just sign a one year deal and be open to going elsewhere next summer. But it looks like he'll spend the rest of his prime - or reasonably close to it - in Cleveland.
DBC10
General Manager
And1: 2,796

Re: How does LeBron extending 3 years impact our window in the East? 

Post#2 » by DBC10 » Fri Aug 12, 2016 1:19 pm

That means for the next 3 years, we likely won't be winning the chip. Lebron is a different animal in the playoffs, it's simply astonishing.

http://fivethirtyeight.com/features/lebron-james-is-still-in-his-prime/

Of course multiple dominoes may play out and some other player(s) from the West may come over to balance out powers that be, but I don't think so. In this day and age, you really need a superstar which we have none of.
Joe Berry
Veteran
And1: 418

Post#3 » by Joe Berry » Fri Aug 12, 2016 1:54 pm

Who knows what can happen. Lebron is human and while he was never seriously injured he has already played 13 seasons in the NBA at age 31. The Cavs did have a great run last year but they are not a team the Pistons should fear. Love still isn't a great fit, they lost depth with Dellavedova and Mozgov, and their remaining bench supporting cast is kinda old. (RJ, Dunleavy, Mo Williams)

Our core is still too young to be a real contender anyway but the Pistons should take a couple of steps the next few years until father time will slow down Lebron. Then anything should be possible. But lets win a playoff series first before we discuss the Pistons as title contenders, shall we?
bballnmike
Veteran
And1: 1,531

Post#4 » by bballnmike » Fri Aug 12, 2016 1:55 pm

He wasn't leaving, so this changes nothing.
DET_Athletics
Pro Prospect
And1: 213

Post#5 » by DET_Athletics » Fri Aug 12, 2016 5:05 pm

I think the ultimate play is still getting Anthony Davis, if our team continues to progress the way it has, and the pelicans continue to not make the playoffs, we could make a play for him in 2 to 3 years, his contract end the same time as dre's. Could you imagine a front court of them?
DBC10
General Manager
And1: 2,796

Post#6 » by DBC10 » Fri Aug 12, 2016 6:37 pm

DET_Athletics wrote:I think the ultimate play is still getting Anthony Davis, if our team continues to progress the way it has, and the pelicans continue to not make the playoffs, we could make a play for him in 2 to 3 years, his contract end the same time as dre's. Could you imagine a front court of them?

Why the heck would he come to Detroit though? It's not like we have a wealth of assets that their team is clamoring for either.
joedumars1
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,078

Post#7 » by joedumars1 » Fri Aug 12, 2016 6:57 pm

Doesn't do anything for me. I see our window of being really good starting in 3-3 years. We should be really good for 6-6 years. Possibly more depending on who we add.
Montanabadboy
Junior
And1: 241

Post#8 » by Montanabadboy » Fri Aug 12, 2016 7:24 pm

I always assumed he would retire in Cleveland, so this changes nothing for me. Also, I'm not too bullish on the Cavs either since they are cap strapped and basically have no means of improving their team for the next 3 years, I know they're already very good, but they're not that good and Lebron will start to decline eventually. It's gonna wear on him eventually. Nobody can keep THIS supporting cast competitive for that long. Their window is basically the next three years, and they'll have GS to compete with every year, plus they'll have the bullseye on their back in the East. I'd be surprised if they won more than the one championship they have right now. They'll basically be the Nets from early 2000s
Detroit vs. Everybody :lift: :lift: :lift:
DET_Athletics
Pro Prospect
And1: 213

Post#9 » by DET_Athletics » Fri Aug 12, 2016 7:28 pm

DBC10 wrote:
DET_Athletics wrote:I think the ultimate play is still getting Anthony Davis, if our team continues to progress the way it has, and the pelicans continue to not make the playoffs, we could make a play for him in 2 to 3 years, his contract end the same time as dre's. Could you imagine a front court of them?

Why the heck would he come to Detroit though? It's not like we have a wealth of assets that their team is clamoring for either.

It's the same story through the nba, superstars hint they will go to free agency. If the pelicans come up short in the next couple of years, why stay? In his last year of his contact if he hints he wants to test his value, trade for him. And we do have assets, but a lot can happen in 2-3 years.
MrBigShot
RealGM
And1: 17,031

Post#10 » by MrBigShot » Fri Aug 12, 2016 11:38 pm

Davis is locked up for a full 5 seasons, so we'd need to trade to obtain him.

As for LeBron, I believe as long as the Cavs remain healthy they will be the only team going to the finals until LeBron is no longer in his prime.
"They say you miss 100% of the shots you take" - Mike James
RexRyan
Rookie
And1: 408

Post#11 » by RexRyan » Sat Aug 13, 2016 2:09 am

We're at least a two for one trade away from truly being a contender. Perhaps two trades like that, or a three for one for a Davis-type. This next few months, and perhaps entire season, is about growing the group and seeing where everyone stands.
ImHeisenberg
Head Coach
And1: 2,323

Post#12 » by ImHeisenberg » Sun Aug 14, 2016 11:55 am

After the LeBrons, the east is pretty wide open. The Raptors have a short shelf life with Lowry already in his 30's. Boston is here, but Horford is on the tail end of his prime. Washington seems to be getting worse every year, somehow.

But, LeBron was never leaving the east. And we are more than 3 years away from being an honest title contender unless we had a couple grand slam level trades executed.
Canadafan
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,452

Post#13 » by Canadafan » Sun Aug 14, 2016 1:45 pm

RexRyan wrote:We're at least a two for one trade away from truly being a contender. Perhaps two trades like that, or a three for one for a Davis-type. This next few months, and perhaps entire season, is about growing the group and seeing where everyone stands.

Pretty much agree. I think with Tobias, Marcus and Stanley we have 3 guys that can play SF. Two of them for another top10 player at most likely PF( Reggie and Drummond already are imo) would push us over the top.
Any trade ideas? I'm pretty content just sticking with what we got though but it's always cool to throw ridiculous trade ideas around lol
zeebneeb
RealGM
And1: 10,621

Post#14 » by zeebneeb » Sun Aug 14, 2016 4:03 pm

RexRyan wrote:We're at least a two for one trade away from truly being a contender. Perhaps two trades like that, or a three for one for a Davis-type. This next few months, and perhaps entire season, is about growing the group and seeing where everyone stands.
No snark, I want to understand your thinking here. This current team has seen exactly zero games on the floor together, and the starting group under 30.

The starters were brilliant the games they played finishing the season strong, and played Cleveland very tough in the playoffs who went on to win the NBA title. Obvious bench weaknesses the team suffered from all thru last year have been addressed, and as a reminder this team is extraordinarily young the youngest in the playoffs last year as a matter of fact.

So in your post you state that the team is maybe one, or even two trades away from contending, and then state the season is about seeing where everyone stands.

I'm a little confused on that point.

I'm not saying a disagree with you, and in reality I may honestly agree as this team feels like the pre-Aguire trade, or the pre-Rasheed signing but I feel if these extremely young group of players hit their potential, we could be looking at a very well rounded group of players that can play multiple positions, as well as a very deep team.

I look at it like this;

This team is very deep, which means they can play a bunch of players depending on matchups, and be really good, or they can trade several for a big time piece to fit with the starters. (I cant even imagine how disgusting the front line would be with Davis and Drummond. People may scoff at the possibility of it ever happening, but the Wallace brothers ended up together and they were amongst the best front courts in NBA history, so these things do happen)

I guess what I'm saying is that even though I agree that the team probably does need a trade to push the team over the top, I'm not as sure as I was in the past and I think there is a possibility this team with its depth and bevy of good, to all-star talent could become contenders.

I place the odds at 70/30 against, but pre-Rasheed, on that team, it was 95/5 in my mind as that team suffered from scoring options as the current team does not.

What are your thoughts on that?
Snakebites
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 14,734

Post#15 » by Snakebites » Sun Aug 14, 2016 4:40 pm

It doesn't. We always knew he wasn't leaving Cleveland.
theBigLip
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 2,742

Post#16 » by theBigLip » Sun Aug 14, 2016 7:12 pm

I think we're building our team a certain way regardless of the Cavs. We are building a flexible team ready to play multiple styles, with a deep bench, and team oriented instead of just getting a couple of stars. And if we keep building the team in this manner, we will be ready to challenge the Cavs, even if they have LBJ still playing. Next year we get to the second round and maybe get a win or two from the Cavs, but after that, I expect us to go toe-to-toe with them.
RexRyan
Rookie
And1: 408

Post#17 » by RexRyan » Sun Aug 14, 2016 7:23 pm

zeebneeb wrote:
No snark, I want to understand your thinking here. This current team has seen exactly zero games on the floor together, and the starting group under 30.

So in your post you state that the team is maybe one, or even two trades away from contending, and then state the season is about seeing where everyone stands.

I think we go 35-40 games with this group. It's a good collection of talent that SVG has collected. And his trades have been two dimes for a quarter. Scraps for Morris. Scraps for Reggie. Scraps for Harris......

Come the deadline, or maybe after the season, the trades that he'll consider will be quarters for a dollar. Those dollars are All-Star players. Teams will be looking to reload, and we now have the types of assets that make us a good trade partner. No idea who, but we'll see. And if Stanley really starts playing well, then the minutes situation really starts to get crowded. But in that case, Stanley becomes an excellent trade piece.....

All good problems to have. I think we win 50 this year, and only 6-8 teams typically do that. But I do think that to win a championship, our starting lineup will be different - better - than our current one.
Manocad
RealGM
And1: 10,561

Post#18 » by Manocad » Sun Aug 14, 2016 9:03 pm

Snakebites wrote:It doesn't. We always knew he wasn't leaving Cleveland.
BadMofoPimp
RealGM
And1: 11,588

Post#19 » by BadMofoPimp » Mon Aug 15, 2016 3:38 pm

DBC10 wrote:That means for the next 3 years, we likely won't be winning the chip. Lebron is a different animal in the playoffs, it's simply astonishing.

http://fivethirtyeight.com/features/lebron-james-is-still-in-his-prime/

Of course multiple dominoes may play out and some other player(s) from the West may come over to balance out powers that be, but I don't think so. In this day and age, you really need a superstar which we have none of.

Lebron is not going to be injury free after putting this many miles on his body for the next 3 years playing since high school. He has about one good year left in him before some major injuries linger.

Provin Ya'll Wrong!!!
The Penguin
"Beat The Commish" Champion/Mr. Clean Slate
And1: 4,107

Post#20 » by The Penguin » Mon Aug 15, 2016 5:10 pm

I'm not prepared to say he's never leaving Cleveland.

I don't think it changes anything, the only possible situation he's leaving for would be teaming with Melo-Wade-CP3, now all four are lined up to be free agents in the summer of 2018.

Return to Detroit Pistons