ImageImageImage

Baynes could be back with Pistons...

Moderators: Cowology, Snakebites, theBigLip, dVs33

tmorgan
RealGM
And1: 6,885

Re: Baynes could be back with Pistons... 

Post#21 » by tmorgan » Mon Jun 19, 2017 8:00 pm

whitehops wrote:personally i think he'd be perfect for golden state, he'd set mean screens for their shooters, crash boards and then be active on defense.

This makes a lot of sense. They'd lose McGee's lob game, but Baynes is on the level of Zaza most of the time. I wonder if we could convince him to opt in if we have a deal with GSW set up. Seems like a good fit for a team with limited funds to fill the center position.
Canadafan
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,454

Post#22 » by Canadafan » Mon Jun 19, 2017 8:02 pm

If he opts in we're in trouble. With KCP and luxury tax implications
russkopp
Analyst
And1: 1,043

Post#23 » by russkopp » Mon Jun 19, 2017 9:09 pm

Canadafan wrote:If he opts in we're in trouble. With KCP and luxury tax implications

All these teams wheeling and dealing and we'll be stuck with Baynes for our offseason move. Kill me.
Fire Troy Weaver
sfballa13
Assistant Coach
And1: 928

Post#24 » by sfballa13 » Mon Jun 19, 2017 11:24 pm

Spider156 wrote:
Pharaoh wrote:I'd hope Baynes opts out, we retain him with EBR and trade Drummond, RJ & #12 to fix this roster.

Playoffs has once again demonstrated that without playmakers and shooters at almost every position you're cooked

Sent from my SM-J110F using RealGM mobile app

Playoffs demonstrated that if you don't have at least 3 All-Stars on your team let alone 2 MVPs then you won't win anything for the next 5 years. With all the talent in the West and Warriors still went 12-0? Ridiculous

Easy to go 12-0 when each team you play is missing a key starter:
- Nurkic (starting center who was playing strong basketball late in the season)
- George Hill (starting PG for the Utah Jazz - not the best player but still their main starter all season long)
- Kawhi Leonard (Spurs were up 20 before he went down, MVP candidate)

Once again the injury bug gifts Golden State a title

Cleveland lost a very winnable game 3 and that lost them the series but the 12 games prior showed exactly how easy their road to the Finals were, couple that with the addition of KD and there is pretty much no reason to even field a playoff team

That's why if I am Gores i would trade away everyone and start a rebuild hoping to catch up to when Philly / Boston start to peak in a few years.

But SVG is content on running on his treadmill so to speak :lol:
DBC10
General Manager
And1: 2,799

Post#25 » by DBC10 » Tue Jun 20, 2017 12:39 am

sfballa13 wrote:
Spider156 wrote:
Pharaoh wrote:I'd hope Baynes opts out, we retain him with EBR and trade Drummond, RJ & #12 to fix this roster.

Playoffs has once again demonstrated that without playmakers and shooters at almost every position you're cooked

Playoffs demonstrated that if you don't have at least 3 All-Stars on your team let alone 2 MVPs then you won't win anything for the next 5 years. With all the talent in the West and Warriors still went 12-0? Ridiculous

Easy to go 12-0 when each team you play is missing a key starter:
- Nurkic (starting center who was playing strong basketball late in the season)
- George Hill (starting PG for the Utah Jazz - not the best player but still their main starter all season long)
- Kawhi Leonard (Spurs were up 20 before he went down, MVP candidate)

Once again the injury bug gifts Golden State a title

Cleveland lost a very winnable game 3 and that lost them the series but the 12 games prior showed exactly how easy their road to the Finals were, couple that with the addition of KD and there is pretty much no reason to even field a playoff team

That's why if I am Gores i would trade away everyone and start a rebuild hoping to catch up to when Philly / Boston start to peak in a few years.

But SVG is content on running on his treadmill so to speak :lol:

You actually raise a good point. If Philly actually pans out even 50% of their potential stars they'll actually be ahead of us in terms of making an impact in the league. By the time they "boon" we'll likely be rebuilding or god forbid another rebuild on the fly type scenario again with no true superstar.

Kill me
ImHeisenberg
Head Coach
And1: 2,323

Post#26 » by ImHeisenberg » Tue Jun 20, 2017 12:59 am

Canadafan wrote:If he opts in we're in trouble. With KCP and luxury tax implications

I hope he does opt in. He was our best center last year. Plus, I hope SVG runs us up into the luxury tax with this poor excuse for a team.
jakebernat
Sixth Man
And1: 767

Post#27 » by jakebernat » Tue Jun 20, 2017 1:10 am

ImHeisenberg wrote:

I hope he does opt in. He was our best center last year. Plus, I hope SVG runs us up into the luxury tax with this poor excuse for a team.

Lol always at least a dash of cynicism with you
Pharaoh
RealGM
And1: 4,565

Re: RE: Re: Baynes could be back with Pistons... 

Post#28 » by Pharaoh » Tue Jun 20, 2017 1:22 am

jakebernat wrote:
ImHeisenberg wrote:

Lol always at least a dash of cynicism with you

A dash? lol

Baynes returning would be a good thing - he'd be a expiring deal that we could package with an asset to get better

whitehops
General Manager
And1: 6,500

Post#29 » by whitehops » Tue Jun 20, 2017 1:54 am

if baynes doesn't return this year, we'd have to get a competent backup center with limited resources. even if boban is the primary backup, there are still some matchups that are terrible for him and with the league getting more and more big men that can shoot the 3 it'd be hard to play him against every team, let alone in a playoffs series. any rookie we'd get at 12 or second round would be a huge liability if given regular backup minutes.

i just noticed that the vast majority of our team is locked up for the next two years which happens to coincide with SVG's contract running out. just some food for thought in case we still struggle the next two years... that would be prime "blow it up" circumstances.
coordinator0
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,311

Post#30 » by coordinator0 » Tue Jun 20, 2017 2:05 am

Leuer would/will obviously get minutes at center as the stretch option to match up with other teams that do so. Van Gundy didn't do a lot of that last season with Baynes getting most of the backup minutes all season, but it happened some. Jon's role should expand to cover more minutes there with Boban getting spot duty. Opens up some time for Ellenson at the four too, or he could take minutes at the five instead of Leuer. I don't think finding another center is much of a priority.

We should hear about Aron's decision pretty soon. June 29th is the universal date for options to be declared, but I don't think he will let it linger that long. Unless he/his agent is waiting to see if the Pistons draft a big...
Canadafan
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,454

Post#31 » by Canadafan » Tue Jun 20, 2017 12:34 pm

Declined
pistons773
Senior
And1: 56

Post#32 » by pistons773 » Wed Jun 21, 2017 5:48 am

Maybe I was looking at this wrong, but wanted him to opt in so we'd have a trade asset signed at 6 mil/year worth 11 mil/year on the open market.
Finn McCool
Senior
And1: 270

Post#33 » by Finn McCool » Wed Jun 21, 2017 10:33 pm

I wouldn't be surprised if he ended up with Budenholzer.
tmorgan
RealGM
And1: 6,885

Post#34 » by tmorgan » Thu Jun 22, 2017 3:02 am

Finn McCool wrote:I wouldn't be surprised if he ended up with Budenholzer.

With Howard now gone? Very astute prediction.

Return to Detroit Pistons