Tom Brady will never pass Joe Montana

splashbrothers
Banned User
And1: 39

Tom Brady will never pass Joe Montana 

Post#1 » by splashbrothers » Sat Jan 31, 2015 7:44 am

Montana did it the right way by not needing a "system" or a coach who likes to cheat.

Montana 4 Superbowl wins and 0 losses

Cant beat that
Worm Guts
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 10,467

Re: Tom Brady will never pass Joe Montana 

Post#2 » by Worm Guts » Mon Feb 2, 2015 4:50 pm

splashbrothers wrote:Montana did it the right way by not needing a "system" or a coach who likes to cheat.

Cant beat that

Montana might be better than Brady, but he was definitely part of a system. The West Coast offense is a pretty famous system actually. And I think making it to 6 Super Bowls and winning 4 is better than only making it to 4.
splashbrothers
Banned User
And1: 39

Post#3 » by splashbrothers » Tue Feb 3, 2015 6:20 am

Brady is a beast no doubt... He is the closest IMO to Montana. I still have him second best all time. I would like to see how Brady performs on another team where there is no Bellichek
andrewww
General Manager
And1: 2,684

Post#4 » by andrewww » Thu Feb 12, 2015 4:04 am

Brady is already the GOAT imho.

Statistically when you look at qb rating, tds, td/int ratio, yards, mvps, super bowl mvps..and considering he is doing this in the salary cap era where the turnover he's had at WR is much greater when compared to Montana, it makes what Brady is doing now even MORE impressive. I would say Montana's had the deadlier offenses sans the 2007 Patriots at their peak, but given the circumstances it's even more impressive for Brady.

6 SB appearances > 4 SB appearances. Since when was making the SB a negative? If it wasn't for the Asante Samuel drop/Tyree fluke catch in 2007 and then the Welker drop/Manningham great catch in 2011...we're looking at Brady being 6-0 in the SB! Having said that if he wins #5 next year it will leave no argument as to who the GOAT qb is.

Also the cheating knocks are getting old. Spygate? Even Bill Cowher and numerous coaches have come out and said that everyone does that, the Pats happened to make the mistake of taping in the wrong area. Like BB said, they did it in front of 80K ppl in plain view. The great Cowboys teams coached by Jimmy Johnson were known for stealing signals (led by Howard Mudd who would later go on to help those Indianapolis Colts), yet no one ever says anything about that?

Deflategate? The biggest witch hunt I've ever seen in professional sports. So much jealousy from players past and present Jerry RIce? He admitted to cheating himself where he would actually gain an advantage from an adhesive on his gloves (something tangible that is actually a COMPETITIVE ADVANTAGE for all you dummies), does that taint all the Niners' super bowls too?! So many idiots out there...Aikman/Bettis/Hayley/etc. Do we talk about the Browns and text-gate, the Falcons pumping in fake crowd noise, etc? EVERYONE tries to gain an advantage and NOTHING the Pats have done in the BB/Brady era have suggested otherwise beyond the fact that people have the iq of goldfishes with respect to spygate and deflategate.

The Patriots will be known as the greatest dynasty of all time (if they arent already), and BB/Brady as the UNDISPUTED greatest coach/qb of all time before its all said and done haters.
afox
Veteran
And1: 1,398

Post#5 » by afox » Sat Feb 14, 2015 5:11 pm

I feel the same about deflategate....The media should be ashamed of the way they ran with this....It's always the players whose legacy is in direct competition with Brady's and the Pat's. Or so it seems...I can't help but remember how Tom had to handle all these attacks on his character a week before the biggest game of his life...smh...he ended up being under the weather too...the stress taking its toll? Thankfully they won....unless this investigation turns up something I don't suspect, it would have been a real travesty...the way he was hunted....He's the greatest..this last game topped it like no other...starting rb hurt(used rb picked up with 6 weeks to go)...Def captain and leading tackler out...Hernandez was huge part of the way this O was designed...never really replaced him...3 WR's that are probably number 3's on any other team...no real running game...threw the ball 50 times against a D that thrives in that situation...actually went up and down the field on 'em at will....and had to have back to back td drives to overcome a 10 pt lead in the 4th...Legion of what??? Please...Unbelievable
jackwindham
Sixth Man
And1: 732

Post#6 » by jackwindham » Thu Feb 26, 2015 1:05 am

Why is the word "system" in double quotes?
Goudelock
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 20,864

Post#7 » by Goudelock » Mon Mar 9, 2015 10:00 pm

This argument is like Jordan VS Lebron in basketball. Totally pointless. The old guys support the old guy, and the new generation support the new guy. I'll go with Brady, but that probably is because one of my parents is a Pats fan, and thinks that the media has some sort of vendetta against the pats.
Devin Booker wrote:Bro.
agetro23
Freshman
And1: 26

Post#8 » by agetro23 » Sun Mar 29, 2015 12:56 am

Brady has a case for GOAT qb, in my opinion. Can't stand the guy, but in this last SB against arguably one of the greatest defenses ever, dude proved without a shadow of a doubt he is one of the toughest mfers in the game. Accurate as hell too.
RavenMad31
Senior
And1: 252

Post#9 » by RavenMad31 » Tue May 5, 2015 2:48 am

splashbrothers wrote:Montana did it the right way by not needing a "system" or a coach who likes to cheat.

Cant beat that

I will go as far as to say that if not for the West Coast offense, you would have never heard of a weakish armed, undersized QB like Montana other than being that QB from Notre Dame.
I never understood that 4-0 vs. 4-2 thing. So somehow NOT making it to two more Super Bowls in addition to the four you have won is somehow better than making it to the Super Bowl? Making it to the Super Bowl requires more winning than not making it to the Super Bowl.
Brady got one good year out of Randy Moss. Montana had a huge chunk of his career with Jerry Rice. Even though I consider Belichick to be the greatest coach of all time, Montana is nothing without Walsh. I think Brady could have still been pretty good under any other NFL system...except for the Browns because they are just a joke.
celticsfan34
Junior
And1: 91

Post#10 » by celticsfan34 » Thu Aug 25, 2016 1:30 am

andrewww wrote:Brady is already the GOAT imho.

Statistically when you look at qb rating, tds, td/int ratio, yards, mvps, super bowl mvps..and considering he is doing this in the salary cap era where the turnover he's had at WR is much greater when compared to Montana, it makes what Brady is doing now even MORE impressive. I would say Montana's had the deadlier offenses sans the 2007 Patriots at their peak, but given the circumstances it's even more impressive for Brady.

6 SB appearances > 4 SB appearances. Since when was making the SB a negative? If it wasn't for the Asante Samuel drop/Tyree fluke catch in 2007 and then the Welker drop/Manningham great catch in 2011...we're looking at Brady being 6-0 in the SB! Having said that if he wins #5 next year it will leave no argument as to who the GOAT qb is.

Also the cheating knocks are getting old. Spygate? Even Bill Cowher and numerous coaches have come out and said that everyone does that, the Pats happened to make the mistake of taping in the wrong area. Like BB said, they did it in front of 80K ppl in plain view. The great Cowboys teams coached by Jimmy Johnson were known for stealing signals (led by Howard Mudd who would later go on to help those Indianapolis Colts), yet no one ever says anything about that?

Deflategate? The biggest witch hunt I've ever seen in professional sports. So much jealousy from players past and present Jerry RIce? He admitted to cheating himself where he would actually gain an advantage from an adhesive on his gloves (something tangible that is actually a COMPETITIVE ADVANTAGE for all you dummies), does that taint all the Niners' super bowls too?! So many idiots out there...Aikman/Bettis/Hayley/etc. Do we talk about the Browns and text-gate, the Falcons pumping in fake crowd noise, etc? EVERYONE tries to gain an advantage and NOTHING the Pats have done in the BB/Brady era have suggested otherwise beyond the fact that people have the iq of goldfishes with respect to spygate and deflategate.

The Patriots will be known as the greatest dynasty of all time (if they arent already), and BB/Brady as the UNDISPUTED greatest coach/qb of all time before its all said and done haters.

This hits the nail right on the head! The Pats aren't my favorite team by any means, but you gotta recognize greatness. Anyone who accuses the Pats of cheating is just jealous that their team doesn't have the same success. Deflategate lol....any time you destroy a team in the playoffs by more than 30 points, there's no way a deflated ball in one half makes any difference. They could have played with a frisbee and won by the same amount. It was a witch hunt.
Froob
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 57,978

Post#11 » by Froob » Fri Aug 26, 2016 7:17 pm

Tommy Heinsohn wrote:The game is not over until they look you in the face and start crying.

RIP The_Hater
Based Mike Ross
Sophomore
And1: 77

Post#12 » by Based Mike Ross » Sun Aug 28, 2016 12:21 am

deflategate lol its not like the patriots weren't winning on the road too
Froob
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 57,978

Post#13 » by Froob » Sun Aug 28, 2016 1:12 am

Based Mike Ross wrote:deflategate lol its not like the patriots weren't winning on the road too

Brady's QB rating is actually better on the road.

Tommy Heinsohn wrote:The game is not over until they look you in the face and start crying.

RIP The_Hater
therealbig3
RealGM
And1: 15,067

Post#14 » by therealbig3 » Tue Sep 20, 2016 4:09 pm

There's more evidence that Montana cheated than Brady did.
Mew
Junior
And1: 388

Post#15 » by Mew » Fri Oct 28, 2016 9:45 pm

therealbig3 wrote:There's more evidence that Montana cheated than Brady did.

His best WR also admitted to using stick em on his hands/gloves.
orlandomanic
Bench Warmer
And1: 334

Post#16 » by orlandomanic » Sat Nov 5, 2016 11:39 am

I'm a fan of both Brady and Montana.

Some people blame Brady for not having more championships. Some people say Montana is over-hyped because of Jerry Rice.

I don't see either of that. The real advantage of Montana over Brady was not Jerry Rice (although that did help, think what Brady could do if he had prime Moss for 15 years), the real advantage was having a stable unit of Lott, Hicks, Wright, and Williamson. People forget how truly great this unit was, they were the first Legion of Boom before Sherman and Chancellor.

Brady use to have a steady defensive unit of Seymour, Ty Law, Bruschi, but that went away for a while now, and the problem with the Pats has not been Brady or the lack of elite WR, but just the inconsistency and high turn over of their defensive players.
euroleague
General Manager
And1: 1,869

Post#17 » by euroleague » Tue Jul 17, 2018 2:47 am

PockyCandy wrote:This argument is like Jordan VS Lebron in basketball. Totally pointless. The old guys support the old guy, and the new generation support the new guy. I'll go with Brady, but that probably is because one of my parents is a Pats fan, and thinks that the media has some sort of vendetta against the pats.

I disagree - I think this argument is very different

Aaron Rodgers has been, without much argument, the best QB of the last decade when healthy. He just hasn’t been on teams with defenses like Brady, or offenses for that matter. Tom Brady just has more team success.
wetsthebed
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,216

Post#18 » by wetsthebed » Wed Jan 12, 2022 2:42 pm

splashbrothers wrote:Brady is a beast no doubt... He is the closest IMO to Montana. I still have him second best all time. I would like to see how Brady performs on another team where there is no Bellichek
tofailmark
Ballboy
And1: 0

Post#19 » by tofailmark » Wed Mar 16, 2022 8:24 am

Return to Player Comparisons