2012 Ask Jeff Risdon a Question

Moderator: studcrackers

Icness
NFL Analyst
And1: 129

2012 Ask Jeff Risdon a Question 

Post#1 » by Icness » Tue Sep 20, 2011 3:45 pm

Thought I would get one started for this coming year. Could be a very interesting draft, what with all the quarterbacks and all the teams that have recently spent 1sts on QBs.

I'll preemptively answer the two questions I already get a lot:

--I do not think Matt Barkley is a first-round talent. He will probably get drafted in the first round, but he belongs later.

--Justin Blackmon is better than Julio Jones, very comparable to AJ Green, better than Dez Bryant, similar to Hakeem Nicks minus the trappings. Legit top 5 talent.
It's not whether you win or lose, it's how good you look playing the game
lpsevier
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 0

Re: 2012 Ask Jeff Risdon a Question 

Post#2 » by lpsevier » Tue Sep 20, 2011 5:30 pm

What is Michael Floyd's best current NFL receiver comparison? Talent Round Grade? Likely drafted?
Icness
NFL Analyst

Post#3 » by Icness » Tue Sep 20, 2011 8:00 pm

He is a bigger Anquan Boldin, an after the-catch bull with great hands, very tough to cover across the middle. I like that he has leaned out because last year he was too slow and couldn't cut sharply enough. IMO he's not a great outside deep receiver in the NFL because he does not get great separation and he relies on just being bigger and more physical to go get the ball. It looks like he has done some speed training to help that though.

I think he's a first rounder, maybe top of the 2nd if he can't break 4.5 in the 40 or gets his weight back up above 225. He is precisely what the Bears need.
studcrackers
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 6,100

Post#4 » by studcrackers » Tue Sep 20, 2011 9:15 pm

who goes 1st, fuller or floyd?

also what do you think makes blackmon better than dez? as a guy who's seen every game the past 4 years of this team i just get the feeling that dez was a little more dominant (despite blackmons #'s last year) idk, maybe b/c i think bryant made zac robinson look worlds better than he actually was, plus he was an amazing return man
Jugs wrote: I saw two buttholes
Icness
NFL Analyst

Post#5 » by Icness » Tue Sep 20, 2011 9:28 pm

I think Floyd will go earlier but Fuller will be the better NFL receiver. Or rather, Fuller will wind up with more catches and less "issues". Fuller reminds me as a receiver of Ocho--not the person but the actual receiver during plays.

I think Blackmon is a more complete receiver than Dez. He blocks, he sells every route on every play, he comes out of his breaks a little cleaner. He finds the flat spots in the zone so naturally. Bryant is better down the field and probably tougher to press cover. And he's a world-class jackass, while Blackmon is a pretty normal dude by all accounts.
Manhattan Project
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 7,949

Post#6 » by Manhattan Project » Wed Sep 21, 2011 12:08 am

Are there any first day running backs not named Trent Richardson or LaMichael James?
Jazz:
Allen l Wagner
Randle l Olynyk
Porter Jr l Marshall l Tucker
Herro l Okogie l Payton
Fox l Jones
Rafael122
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 2,766

Post#7 » by Rafael122 » Wed Sep 21, 2011 1:55 am

Kinda a Skins related question here, they badly need help on the interior of the o-line. What's it looking like prospect wise next draft? Offensive guards/centers I mean.
Bickerstaff: who's up for kickball?!!
Ed Wood: Only if it's the no-pants variety.
lpsevier
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 0

Post#8 » by lpsevier » Wed Sep 21, 2011 10:19 am

Without a first round pick and assuming they cut Sam Baker where could the Falcons turn?
Icness
NFL Analyst

Post#9 » by Icness » Wed Sep 21, 2011 1:57 pm

Manhattan Project wrote:Are there any first day running backs not named Trent Richardson or LaMichael James?

Good question. Cyrus Gray could sneak in there but he's probably a 2nd/3rd. I'm not sure James will go top 50 with his slight build and Reggie Bush-like skill set. Teams are really down on using high picks on running backs with the increasing move towards shared and situational backfields.
Icness
NFL Analyst

Post#10 » by Icness » Wed Sep 21, 2011 2:02 pm

Rafael122 wrote:Kinda a Skins related question here, they badly need help on the interior of the o-line. What's it looking like prospect wise next draft? Offensive guards/centers I mean.

Good year to need one. Cordy Glenn, Kelechi Osemele, Kenvious Watkins, Kevin Zietler, maybe Lucas Nix are all guys that should be able to start right away at guard. Center crop is thinner but there are some middle round prospects (as always) that are decent prospects. No elite players like Alex Mack or Mangold or Pouncey, but Mike Brewster and William Vlachos are my early favorites. I'm not a big fan of Jones from Georgia, too stiff and big IMO.
Icness
NFL Analyst

Post#11 » by Icness » Wed Sep 21, 2011 2:06 pm

lpsevier wrote:Without a first round pick and assuming they cut Sam Baker where could the Falcons turn?

LOL! Predraft I told everyone who would listen that Baker was a center, not a left tackle. Maybe next year they listen...

I think the tackle class is a little overrated right now but there is talent. As of today my top 5:
Jonathan Martin
Andrew Datko
Matt Kalil
Marcus Zusevics
Nate Potter

Zusevics > Riley Reiff, his Iowa teammate. Reiff is a better athlete but Zusevics has almost flawless technique and is no slouch athletically.
Jaruff
RealGM
And1: 16

Post#12 » by Jaruff » Wed Sep 21, 2011 6:18 pm

Where will the Panthers look to with their first-round pick (assuming top 10)? I'm thinking that this might be the year to grab Steve Smith's replacement but there are widespread issues across the defense, especially with Thomas Davis likely done for good and Beason possibly heading down the same path.
Kwame Brown Fan Club | Free Gilbert Arenas
Icness
NFL Analyst

Post#13 » by Icness » Wed Sep 21, 2011 8:32 pm

Jaruff wrote:Where will the Panthers look to with their first-round pick (assuming top 10)? I'm thinking that this might be the year to grab Steve Smith's replacement but there are widespread issues across the defense, especially with Thomas Davis likely done for good and Beason possibly heading down the same path.

I think they have to look at OLB, but I think they would like to add a top-shelf corner too. They have to get another pass rusher too, though I wouldn't trust Marty Hurney to find one after Brown and Hardy and others.
Roger Murdock
RealGM
And1: 4,593

Post#14 » by Roger Murdock » Thu Sep 22, 2011 12:52 am

Is Coples the best DL prospect in the last 5 years not named Suh?
Jaruff
RealGM
And1: 16

Post#15 » by Jaruff » Thu Sep 22, 2011 1:06 am

Icness wrote:
Jaruff wrote:Where will the Panthers look to with their first-round pick (assuming top 10)? I'm thinking that this might be the year to grab Steve Smith's replacement but there are widespread issues across the defense, especially with Thomas Davis likely done for good and Beason possibly heading down the same path.

I think they have to look at OLB, but I think they would like to add a top-shelf corner too. They have to get another pass rusher too, though I wouldn't trust Marty Hurney to find one after Brown and Hardy and others.

With that being said, which players would be realistic targets in the 5-10 range? I think they'd love to have Kalil to pair with his brother (I'm thinking Otah might be healthier if he played guard) but I don't see him dropping far enough. Dre Kirkpatrick looks impressive but I don't know enough about the top LB candidates.

I actually think Hardy is going to turn out decent considering his 6th round selection and what he did last year. Did you mean Norwood?
Kwame Brown Fan Club | Free Gilbert Arenas
Icness
NFL Analyst

Post#16 » by Icness » Fri Sep 23, 2011 2:04 pm

With that being said, which players would be realistic targets in the 5-10 range? I think they'd love to have Kalil to pair with his brother (I'm thinking Otah might be healthier if he played guard) but I don't see him dropping far enough. Dre Kirkpatrick looks impressive but I don't know enough about the top LB candidates.

I actually think Hardy is going to turn out decent considering his 6th round selection and what he did last year. Did you mean Norwood?

Kalil should be there in the 5-10 range and probably lower; he's not having a great year and he's light. That is high for Kirkpatrick or really any LB that is not a pass rusher. Look at the recent top 10 LBs that are straight LBs: Keith Rivers, AJ Hawk, Aaron Curry, Ernie Sims, Jerod Mayo. Only Mayo is even remotely close to meriting that high a pick and the others have been various levels of disappointment. You can get very good linebackers in the 11-50 range, guys like Willis, Lofton, Greenway, Timmons, Laurinaitis, etc.

Marty Hurney has never been shy about trading back up to get into the 15-30 range and that is where guys like Kirkpatrick, Burfict, Zack Brown, Bruce Irvin are going to be (if not lower). That is a good range for OL too, even though I think Byron Bell played very well last week and Lee Ziemba is a competent swing tackle. I would really target the defensive back 7, but I don't work for Carolina anymore
deeney0
RealGM
And1: 9

Post#17 » by deeney0 » Sat Sep 24, 2011 9:12 pm

Thoughts on Russell Wilson?
Roger Murdock
RealGM
And1: 4,593

Post#18 » by Roger Murdock » Sun Sep 25, 2011 1:14 am

Thoughts on Clowney? What kind of prospect will this guy be his junior year?
Icness
NFL Analyst

Post#19 » by Icness » Mon Sep 26, 2011 4:34 pm

deeney0 wrote:Thoughts on Russell Wilson?

There is a lot to like, but the bottom line is he's barely 5'11" and has an average arm. I think he is similar to Colt McCoy, only smaller and not quite as fast. He's a winner that does his best work in a rolling pocket with receivers in layers and gives him multiple options he can see easily. He makes very good decisions and shows great patience. At NCSU he had some intermittent issues with just losing his touch for a few series at a time, and there were some there that wished he would try to take more shots down the field.

I think he's a middle-round pick that can play backup QB for several years or start for a week or two and not get his team killed. The height and arm strength issues will simply not allow him to get drafted higher than the 4th round, fair or not.
Icness
NFL Analyst

Post#20 » by Icness » Mon Sep 26, 2011 4:38 pm

Roger Murdock wrote:Thoughts on Clowney? What kind of prospect will this guy be his junior year?

He has the chance to be the best pass rushing prospect I've ever seen. He has the complete physical package already but he also knows how to play football. We'll see how much he works at it and how he handles the early success. Some guys keep building off great impact freshmen years, and some turn into Andy Katzenmoyer.

Return to NFL Draft