2012 Ask Jeff Risdon a Question

Moderator: studcrackers

Bucksfans1and2
Banned User
And1: 189

Re: 2012 Ask Jeff Risdon a Question 

Post#621 » by Bucksfans1and2 » Fri Jan 4, 2013 2:04 am

RiotPunch wrote:Curious to know your free safety rankings out of Vaccaro, Reid, Elam and Jefferson. Specifically, who has the highest ceiling and who would be the best fit in Green Bay? (I think I've heard you say Elam in the past, but would like to hear an updated opinion)

Would like to throw Phillip Thomas' (The Fresno State one, not the Syracuse one) and Baccari Rambo's name into this ring.
RiotPunch
RealGM
And1: 14,883

Post#622 » by RiotPunch » Fri Jan 4, 2013 4:34 am

Oh, yeah I do like Thomas a lot too. Was thinking more 1st round caliber I guess.
#FreeChuckDiesel
Bucksmaniac wrote:I'm sorry, but I'm starting to sour on Giannis
Icness
NFL Analyst
And1: 129

Post#623 » by Icness » Fri Jan 4, 2013 3:51 pm

RiotPunch wrote:Curious to know your free safety rankings out of Vaccaro, Reid, Elam and Jefferson. Specifically, who has the highest ceiling and who would be the best fit in Green Bay? (I think I've heard you say Elam in the past, but would like to hear an updated opinion)

http://www.detroitlionsdraft.com/2013-n ... 5/Safeties

1. Tony Jefferson-Oklahoma*
2. Kenny Vaccaro-Texas
3. Matt Elam-Florida*
4. Phillip Thomas-Fresno State
5. Eric Reid-LSU*
6. Robert Lester-Alabama
7. Zeke Motta-Notre Dame
8. Duke Williams-Nevada
9. Bacarri Rambo-Georgia
10. DJ Swearinger-South Carolina

That was updated on XMas Day. I'm more inclined to go Vaccaro at #1 now but I want to see Jefferson vs. Johnny Football tonight.

I do not see Elam as a free safety, liability in deeper coverage and doesn't get to the sidelines fluidly.

Philip Thomas and Vaccaro are the two best cover safeties. Vaccaro is tougher, Thomas is savvier. I actually like Motta for the Packers, smart, positionally reliable, very good with the ball in the air, nobody ever gets behind him. I suspect I have Motta a lot higher than most.

Eric Reid is overrated; two of his INTs were him being behind the receiver and the receiver fell down, and he runs past a lot of plays. Can't deny his opportunism and he's got excellent range though.
It's not whether you win or lose, it's how good you look playing the game
Icness
NFL Analyst

Post#624 » by Icness » Fri Jan 4, 2013 4:12 pm

12a. Congratulations Jeff you're the new GM of the Packers, make a decision with Sherrod and the LT spot?
12b. You're back at your old job, and you have to tell your GM what Ted Thompson is going to do with Sherrod, Go

Miss one year with injury, I'm okay with that. Miss two, esp. the first two, I'm not counting on you to be anything but a camp body with potential.

13. Other than Fluker (barf) anybody that the Pack have been spending a lot of time looking at?

Saw Brian Gutekunst at LSU/South Carolina with a scout. Highsmith was at the Meineke Bowl but he's a local Houstonian, wouldn't read a lot into it.
Two guys I know they've spent time asking about: Alex Okafor and Lane Johnson

14. Did the Badgers do Travis Fredrick a disservice by moving him away from Guard and putting him at Center where he struggled a bit or are scouts gonna value the guard tape higher than the more recent tape, because I'm assuming he's going to play Guard in the pros.

It's funny that they keep doing this. Zeitler looked better at C, Konz better at G in workout season last year but they were opposite at Wisconsin. I see Frederick as a NFL guard, think most NFL folks do too.

15. Know anything about Gary Anderson?

Very creative, likable guy. Very good developer of talent. Understood the kinds of kids that USU could get and worked with that, then broadened his recruiting and attracted kids to one of the least-appealing locales in America for anyone that isn't Mormon. His players LOVED him to a man.

16. What does Sam Montgomery's inclusion on the "LSU doghouse list" mean for his stock? I've never seen him take anymore plays off than any other DLineman nor have I heard of anybody giving him a passion red, but when your S&C coach (who apparently is the God of all S&C coaches?) has pretty much described you as a lazy bum that's going to cause me some pause.

I wouldn't read much into that doghouse list; LSU's S&C coach has been posting that list for years and he puts guys on it for such miniscule stuff as putting the 40 lb dumbell where the 35 lb goes. It's overpublicized and meant as a motivational tool. Glenn Dorsey spent his entire LSU career on it, so did RJ Francois.

My biggest knock on Montgomery is that he falls in love with the individual battle and not the broader structure of team defense. He's a very good all-around talent, very quick for his size.

Looking for a DL that takes plays off? Jonathan Hankins has some ugly tape.
gswhoops
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,736

Post#625 » by gswhoops » Fri Jan 4, 2013 6:26 pm

After Geno Smith, is there any concensus on how Wilson/Barkley/Glennon/Nassib/any other possible day 1/2 QBs rank, or is it just team preferences?
Magilla_Gorilla
RealGM
And1: 4,451

Post#626 » by Magilla_Gorilla » Fri Jan 4, 2013 9:04 pm

Jeff - What can you tell me about Kiko Alonso's chances at the next level? Will his off-field troubles keep him as undrafted?

The Bears could use a MLB, what type of defense do you think Alonso would best fit into?
Sham - Y U NO sell me a t-shirt? Best OB/GYN Houston
Icness
NFL Analyst

Post#627 » by Icness » Fri Jan 4, 2013 9:54 pm

gswhoops wrote:After Geno Smith, is there any concensus on how Wilson/Barkley/Glennon/Nassib/any other possible day 1/2 QBs rank, or is it just team preferences?

Wilson is pretty solidly 2nd, and some rate him higher than Geno. I might too when all is said and done, very different QBs so Wilson might be a better fit for some places (thinking ARI and NYJ) than others.

After those two, it's a complete crapshoot at this point. All star games are huge for the QBs this year. Barkley not playing because of injury probably helps him more than it hurts because comparative arm strength would make him look terrible next to Nassib or Zac Dysert (my personal #3).

Those of you that have followed me a long time know how strongly negative I was about Vince Young, Locker, Clausen, Jamarcus, Mallett. I can say without reservation and 100% confidence that every single one of those guys is better than Mike Glennon. Maybe not Clausen, but I would take any of the others right now, including fat Jamarcus, over Glennon.
Icness
NFL Analyst

Post#628 » by Icness » Fri Jan 4, 2013 9:57 pm

Magilla_Gorilla wrote:Jeff - What can you tell me about Kiko Alonso's chances at the next level? Will his off-field troubles keep him as undrafted?

The Bears could use a MLB, what type of defense do you think Alonso would best fit into?

He really improved in '12 and he's a very natural fit for a 4-3 Mike. He's a bad hombre though, and seems like he's proud of it. He's also a personal foul and taunting penalty waiting to happen and he often loses positional discipline trying to make the big play. Middle round guy, better have a strong locker room and respected coach. I'd love him in Chicago assuming they stick with the same base D.
Jake0890
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers
And1: 807

Post#629 » by Jake0890 » Fri Jan 4, 2013 11:33 pm

How far do you think Te'o lasts? If the Bears can get him as a replacement for Urlacher, that'd be a dream 1st round pick.

Sorry if you've already answered this question.
Icness
NFL Analyst

Post#630 » by Icness » Sat Jan 5, 2013 1:47 am

Jake0890 wrote:How far do you think Te'o lasts? If the Bears can get him as a replacement for Urlacher, that'd be a dream 1st round pick.

Sorry if you've already answered this question.

I think it is possible but not terribly likely he falls to Chicago. I do think Minter comes off before him.
Da Schwab
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,619

Post#631 » by Da Schwab » Sat Jan 5, 2013 2:25 pm

I know this is more of a question deemed for the future, but last night made me think about it:

Johnny Manziel, to me at least, has more of a dynamic ability to put A&M on his back and make the game his than players like Tim Tebow or Vince Young did.

I don't know if I'm just caught in the moment of watching this kid run circles around people, or is he doing something different?
gswhoops
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,736

Post#632 » by gswhoops » Sun Jan 6, 2013 9:19 pm

Icness wrote:
gswhoops wrote:After Geno Smith, is there any concensus on how Wilson/Barkley/Glennon/Nassib/any other possible day 1/2 QBs rank, or is it just team preferences?

Wilson is pretty solidly 2nd, and some rate him higher than Geno. I might too when all is said and done, very different QBs so Wilson might be a better fit for some places (thinking ARI and NYJ) than others.

After those two, it's a complete crapshoot at this point. All star games are huge for the QBs this year. Barkley not playing because of injury probably helps him more than it hurts because comparative arm strength would make him look terrible next to Nassib or Zac Dysert (my personal #3).

Those of you that have followed me a long time know how strongly negative I was about Vince Young, Locker, Clausen, Jamarcus, Mallett. I can say without reservation and 100% confidence that every single one of those guys is better than Mike Glennon. Maybe not Clausen, but I would take any of the others right now, including fat Jamarcus, over Glennon.

What about Glennon leads you to rank him so low?

Also curious where you would put Bray in that mix now that he's declared.
Dr Positivity
RealGM
And1: 15,523

Post#633 » by Dr Positivity » Sun Jan 6, 2013 10:38 pm

Anyone want to give me a few sentence scouting report on Ryan Nassib, as someone who doesn't remotely follow college football. With the Bills hiring his coach he seems like a likely pick
Icness
NFL Analyst

Post#634 » by Icness » Mon Jan 7, 2013 1:51 am

Da Schwab wrote:I know this is more of a question deemed for the future, but last night made me think about it:

Johnny Manziel, to me at least, has more of a dynamic ability to put A&M on his back and make the game his than players like Tim Tebow or Vince Young did.

I don't know if I'm just caught in the moment of watching this kid run circles around people, or is he doing something different?

Tebow had that at Florida but it was more a force of personality. Manziel has it as a freshman, which is absurd to me, and he's a better thrower than Tebow will ever be.

I don't think Coach Sumlin gets near enough credit for all this.
Icness
NFL Analyst

Post#635 » by Icness » Mon Jan 7, 2013 2:02 am

What about Glennon leads you to rank him so low?

I've seen six games of his now: FSUx2, UConn, Tennessee, UVA, and the bowl game. He was the better QB in the game once, the UConn game and that's only because the Huskies QB threw 3 INTs. He's terribly unathletic in the way Matt Schaub is. The arm is very good, but he doesn't trust it all the time. Just as I said about Christian Ponder, he often holds the ball an extra count to verify that what his eyes are telling him is real. He often throws completely flat-footed and his front leg and foot have horrible mechanics. Under pressure he's a hot mess. Virginia was terrible all season but they completely beat his ass and he had nothing to answer with.

Having said all that, I unquestionably saw his worst games. The stats from the others are impressive, and he definitely has some "wow" factor with his size and his ability to throw the ball down the field and outside the hashes. But no 1st round QB has ever had that much truly, legitimately terrible game tape.

Also curious where you would put Bray in that mix now that he's declared.

Tentatively my #4 after Smith, Wilson, and Dysert, probably even with Barkley. Could move up, more likely he falls a smidge. Looks like he's a 25-40 overall pick. Has the best arm in the draft and he knows it.
Icness
NFL Analyst

Post#636 » by Icness » Mon Jan 7, 2013 2:05 am

Dr Positivity wrote:Anyone want to give me a few sentence scouting report on Ryan Nassib, as someone who doesn't remotely follow college football. With the Bills hiring his coach he seems like a likely pick

Big guy, big arm. Nice mechanics except for his release, which has a hitch in it like Kerry Collins had. Accuracy is a little streaky but pretty solid. Has some Matt Stafford to his throws in terms of velocity and liking to throw the ball high and outside. Not terribly quick but has very good pocket presence. Will make the head-scratching INT a la Stafford or Romo from time to time. Very good at play action fakes but he tends to give up on the downfield routes too early off of those.
No-Man
RealGM
And1: 3,479

Post#637 » by No-Man » Tue Jan 8, 2013 2:07 am

What about McCarron?

Return to NFL Draft