2012 Ask Jeff Risdon a Question

Moderator: studcrackers

kdawg32086
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 929

Re: 2012 Ask Jeff Risdon a Question 

Post#441 » by kdawg32086 » Tue Apr 10, 2012 12:03 am

Jeff...will the Ravens draft an inside linebacker this year? Or do they think Ray is gonna play until he's 50?
Thank you triplemke23 for the sig.
Icness
NFL Analyst
And1: 129

Post#442 » by Icness » Tue Apr 10, 2012 3:55 am

kdawg32086 wrote:Jeff...will the Ravens draft an inside linebacker this year? Or do they think Ray is gonna play until he's 50?

Both :P

I have to think they're in the Donta Hightower business if he lasts that long. But I would think it's more likely they take a guy in rounds 3-5. Demario Davis would be excellent with Ray teaching him the ropes for a year or two, one of my favorite sleepers. Keep an eye on Kadarron Anderson from Furman in the late rounds, he's an Ozzie Newsome kind of guy.
It's not whether you win or lose, it's how good you look playing the game
WAYSA
Banned User
And1: 0

Post#443 » by WAYSA » Tue Apr 10, 2012 5:18 am

How good is the OG Silatolu? I keep hearing he is gaining serious steam and may be a late first rounder now?!

Looks like an animal on tape..

Is his ceiling the Ravens at the end of the first? To replace Grubbs?
takeit2dahouse00
Ballboy

Post#444 » by takeit2dahouse00 » Tue Apr 10, 2012 4:37 pm

Hey Jeff,

The Dolphins are in need of at least two WR's this draft. Going off of what the Packers have done in the past (drafting all of their WR's in the 2nd/3rd rounds); who are some guys to look for in those rounds (the Dolphins have one 2nd and two 3rds) that fit the Philbin/Sherman WCO scheme?

Thanks!
Icness
NFL Analyst

Post#445 » by Icness » Tue Apr 10, 2012 8:59 pm

WAYSA wrote:How good is the OG Silatolu? I keep hearing he is gaining serious steam and may be a late first rounder now?!

Looks like an animal on tape..

Is his ceiling the Ravens at the end of the first? To replace Grubbs?

He's as NFL ready as Mike Iupati was, similar type of playing style. He'll hit you in the mouth and then throw you out of his way. He'd be great in Baltimore but that seems a little early. Maybe a trade back, but it could happen where they sit now.
Icness
NFL Analyst

Post#446 » by Icness » Tue Apr 10, 2012 9:07 pm

takeit2dahouse00 wrote:Hey Jeff,

The Dolphins are in need of at least two WR's this draft. Going off of what the Packers have done in the past (drafting all of their WR's in the 2nd/3rd rounds); who are some guys to look for in those rounds (the Dolphins have one 2nd and two 3rds) that fit the Philbin/Sherman WCO scheme?

Thanks!

Inside guys in that range are Joe Adams, Jarius Wright, Ryan Broyles, Devon Wylie. Those are probably all 3rds. Broyles is the best but he tore his ACL in November and might be slowed in '12. AJ Jenkins in the second round fits too.

Outside guys include Brian Quick, Marvin Jones, Keshawn Martin, Nick Toon, maybe Chris Givens.

They've been looking at a lot of later-round wideouts and I think they'll take one in the picks you mentioned and one late. Some to watch late include Eric Page, Jermaine Kearse, Lavon Brazille, Dwight Jones. A couple of very deep WR sleepers: Chase Deadder of Sac State and Chris Summers of Liberty. Neither will get drafted but they'll be in a camp and fit the profile.
Sandlot
Junior

Post#447 » by Sandlot » Tue Apr 10, 2012 9:12 pm

I'm hearing a lot of people talking about the Niners and Fleener. Obviously they already have Davis and Walker. Is this a realistic possibility and what do you see his potential as?
Icness
NFL Analyst

Post#448 » by Icness » Tue Apr 10, 2012 9:47 pm

Sandlot wrote:I'm hearing a lot of people talking about the Niners and Fleener. Obviously they already have Davis and Walker. Is this a realistic possibility and what do you see his potential as?

If Harbaugh wasn't their coach and his former coach it wouldn't pass the sniff test. I won't say it's impossible but it's extremely unlikely. They might be trying to coax trade value for their pick if someone might be interested in Fleener there. And the Giants or Colts might be.
Pax for Prez
Starter
And1: 375

Post#449 » by Pax for Prez » Wed Apr 11, 2012 12:55 am

Jeff,

Do you think there is a good possiblity that the Bears could trade down in the 1st rd and are there any teams below them that you have heard might be willing to trade up ?

Thanks,

Pax
Icness
NFL Analyst

Post#450 » by Icness » Wed Apr 11, 2012 1:07 am

Pax for Prez wrote:Jeff,

Do you think there is a good possiblity that the Bears could trade down in the 1st rd and are there any teams below them that you have heard might be willing to trade up ?

Thanks,

Pax

It is going to depend on who/what falls and if there is no comparable alternative. Read that as Barron or Wright. Someone might want to move up to get them. Or Coples if he falls that far. That's kind of the middle of a tier of talent so 19 isn't the easiest place to move from. Best bet is getting a team from 20-23 zeroed in but CIN will not move up and CLE is looking to go the other way too.
B Mac
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 540

Post#451 » by B Mac » Wed Apr 11, 2012 4:51 am

Jeff,

4: Mo Claiborne CB
22: Kendall Wright WR
37: Doug Martin RB
68: Mitchell Schwartz OT

I know you arent that high on Martin, but tell me why that wouldnt be a fantastic and realistic draft for the Browns?

Thanks
Icness
NFL Analyst

Post#452 » by Icness » Wed Apr 11, 2012 1:09 pm

B Mac wrote:Jeff,

4: Mo Claiborne CB
22: Kendall Wright WR
37: Doug Martin RB
68: Mitchell Schwartz OT

I know you arent that high on Martin, but tell me why that wouldnt be a fantastic and realistic draft for the Browns?

Thanks

I like Doug Martin, it's Jonathan Martin I don't get. That right there gets you three immediate starters and a RB to share the load with Hardesty, nothing wrong with that at all.

That #4 pick holds the key to not only the rest of the top 10 but also the top of the 2nd because what the Browns do there directly impacts the availability and needs for the teams (TB, MIN, CLE, JAX, STL) there. They all need WRs and they all need OT help. And every team in the league needs CBs.
Magilla_Gorilla
RealGM
And1: 4,451

Post#453 » by Magilla_Gorilla » Wed Apr 11, 2012 1:25 pm

Jeff - Could you compare/contrast Vinny Curry & Andre Branch? How would each hold up at end in a 4-3? Which is better suited to play OLB in a 3-4?

I know you have Branch rated higher (he was a first round pick in your mock as opposed to Curry in the third) but how much seperation is there between the two?

And if you were the Bears looking to put a guy opposite Julius Peppers on the line who would you target?
Sham - Y U NO sell me a t-shirt? Best OB/GYN Houston
Icness
NFL Analyst

Post#454 » by Icness » Wed Apr 11, 2012 5:03 pm

Magilla_Gorilla wrote:Jeff - Could you compare/contrast Vinny Curry & Andre Branch? How would each hold up at end in a 4-3? Which is better suited to play OLB in a 3-4?

I know you have Branch rated higher (he was a first round pick in your mock as opposed to Curry in the third) but how much seperation is there between the two?

And if you were the Bears looking to put a guy opposite Julius Peppers on the line who would you target?

I don't see Curry as anything but a 4-3 DE. Branch is better at 4-3 end but could probably make the transition to OLB in time. Curry is quicker off the snap and better with his hands, and those skills are better utilized in a 4-3 a la Dwight Freeney. 3-4 OLBs need more spatial ability and I believe Branch can handle that. Branch plays with more violence and leverage, and that helps when you have to play standing up.

I would take Curry opposite Peppers. Not sure he will be there in the 2nd and #19 is probably a few spots too early. Doing a mock for another site right now and Curry is #48. If you want a first rounder your options are Nick Perry, Branch, Mercilus or maybe Coples if he falls like I think he might. I'd pass on those and wait for guys like Curry, Chandler Jones, Kendall Reyes, Derek Wolfe in the 2nd. IMO the Bears need LB, DT, CB and S help more than they need DE help. Idonije is just as good in 2012 as any player they could add in this draft. If you really want to help Peppers then get a DT that can't be effectively erased by just one blocker in pass protection.
Da Schwab
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,619

Post#455 » by Da Schwab » Wed Apr 11, 2012 5:52 pm

Can you ever recall a guy whose stock has risen so much based off of his Combine performance like Dontari Poe's?

I can't help but think this guy will be a bust, even though I'd really like to see him succeed.
Worm Guts
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 10,527

Post#456 » by Worm Guts » Wed Apr 11, 2012 6:16 pm

Probably Mike Mamula. That guy was the definition of a combine warrior.
Manhattan Project
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 7,965

Post#457 » by Manhattan Project » Wed Apr 11, 2012 6:17 pm

Dewayne Robertson comes to mind, I still dread the name. Poe is being talked about a first round pick, Ive seen from 9th overall to late twenties. Robertson ended up going fourth, with Warren Sapp comparisons and then the Jets stonewalled him with the defensive switch. I remember Sullivan and Kennedy as the better prospects heading into the draft process.
Jazz:
Allen l Wagner
Randle l Olynyk
Porter Jr l Marshall l Tucker
Herro l Okogie l Payton
Fox l Jones
Worm Guts
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 10,527

Post#458 » by Worm Guts » Wed Apr 11, 2012 6:25 pm

Worm Guts wrote:Probably Mike Mamula. That guy was the definition of a combine warrior.

Just reviewing some of his numbers: As a DE he ran a 4.58, did the bench 28 times, had a 38 inch vertical, and scored a 49 on the Wonderlic.
Magilla_Gorilla
RealGM
And1: 4,451

Post#459 » by Magilla_Gorilla » Wed Apr 11, 2012 9:24 pm

Worm Guts wrote:
Worm Guts wrote:Probably Mike Mamula. That guy was the definition of a combine warrior.

Just reviewing some of his numbers: As a DE he ran a 4.58, did the bench 28 times, had a 38 inch vertical, and scored a 49 on the Wonderlic.

Mamula was also tremendously productive at Boston College. He wasn't drafted solely on his combine numbers.

Junior year he had 84 tackles and 12 sacks.

Senior year he had 73 tackles and 17 sacks.
Sham - Y U NO sell me a t-shirt? Best OB/GYN Houston
Manhattan Project
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 7,965

Post#460 » by Manhattan Project » Wed Apr 11, 2012 11:38 pm

Magilla_Gorilla wrote:Mamula was also tremendously productive at Boston College. He wasn't drafted solely on his combine numbers.

Well in that case DeAngelo Hall, made himself quite a few millions with his 40 time.
Jazz:
Allen l Wagner
Randle l Olynyk
Porter Jr l Marshall l Tucker
Herro l Okogie l Payton
Fox l Jones

Return to NFL Draft