Moderator: studcrackers

Icness
NFL Analyst
And1: 129

Re: 2013 Ask Jeff Risdon a Question 

Post#101 » by Icness » Wed Feb 13, 2013 2:54 pm

PurpleJesus wrote:
Icness wrote:
PurpleJesus wrote:Assuming the Vikings draft a WR like they should. Who would be their best fit between Cordarrelle Patterson, Keenan Allen, Tavon Auston, and Terrance Williams?

Patterson will be gone before their first pick. Allen would be great, a guy that can get open at multiple levels and reliably catch the ball. Austin is kinda redundant with Harvin but not as big of a frame. Williams carries some similarities to Torrey Smith coming out, a limited vertical speedster with hand/eye coordination issues at times, but he can really stretch the field and makes enough plays to stay dangerous and impact the defense. Their first round pick is too high for him; he might be there for Minny in the 2nd.

My next question would then be do you think Allen will be there for them to take? And Is there another receiver I didn't name that would make sense for them to pick at their current draft spot?

Allen is probably 50/50 that he's there. The other name to watch is Nuke Hopkins from Clemson, who will also go in that 20-30 range. If you want a straight replacement for Harvin, Tavon Austin is the guy but he's very small-framed.
It's not whether you win or lose, it's how good you look playing the game
reeDfense
Sophomore
And1: 6

Post#102 » by reeDfense » Wed Feb 13, 2013 9:53 pm

So what direction do you see the Ravens going in?...i see a lot of mock drafts have them picking a Rush Linebacker...specifically Sam Montgomery...do you think he drops that far?...I am actually pretty high on this guy.
Icness
NFL Analyst

Post#103 » by Icness » Wed Feb 13, 2013 10:47 pm

reeDfense wrote:So what direction do you see the Ravens going in?...i see a lot of mock drafts have them picking a Rush Linebacker...specifically Sam Montgomery...do you think he drops that far?...I am actually pretty high on this guy.

I suspect Montgomery will be there unless he really shows off at the Combine. He will not interview well :wink:

Too early to know what teams are looking at, but just looking at their depth chart and contracts that expire after 2013 they are in desperate, desperate need of linebackers and corners.
Dr Positivity
RealGM
And1: 15,527

Post#104 » by Dr Positivity » Thu Feb 14, 2013 1:52 am

Can you explain what Geno's weaknesses are and how he would fail if he does? He seems like he has everything to me, but on ESPN, CBS Sports, etc. lists it's getting thrown out that there's no 1st round caliber QBs in this draft. Is there concerns about his arm strength?
Icness
NFL Analyst

Post#105 » by Icness » Thu Feb 14, 2013 1:57 pm

Dr Positivity wrote:Can you explain what Geno's weaknesses are and how he would fail if he does? He seems like he has everything to me, but on ESPN, CBS Sports, etc. lists it's getting thrown out that there's no 1st round caliber QBs in this draft. Is there concerns about his arm strength?

He comes from the same offense that produced Brandon Weeden: one read, get ball out quickly, only read half the field, mainly short throws to receivers isolated in space. If you watch the Texas Tech game you can see the TTU defense playing a very shallow zone with press at the line, which took away Tavon Austin and it killed Geno. When his primary option isn't there he struggles. To his credit, he improved at this as the season progressed. His arm strength is fine. His accuracy is better than fine. He doesn't deal with pressure all that well and he's not an effective scrambler.

IMO too many pundits are all wrapped up in what he's not. He's not RG3 or Luck or even Ryan Tannehill. But go back a year. He's demonstrably better than Jake Locker or Christian Ponder, not even close in terms of Locker. He's better than any other QB in this class and market dynamics dictate he goes very high.

On Tannehill: I scouted TAMU WRs this week and watching Tannehill vs. watching Manziel is was absolutely stunning to me how good Tannehill was and how bad at seeing the field Manziel is right now. Miami got themselves a good one.
CJ_18
Assistant Coach
And1: 35

Post#106 » by CJ_18 » Wed Feb 20, 2013 5:18 am

*Waits patiently for Icness' first combine reports*
PurpleJesus
Ballboy
And1: 0

Post#107 » by PurpleJesus » Wed Feb 20, 2013 5:39 am

From what I've read if the Chiefs decide to let Branden Albert walk, their plan is to take Luke Joeckel with the 1st overall pick. My question is why not consider signing Albert and moving him to guard and drafting Joeckel anyway? Albert played guard mostly in college and everything I've heard suggests he can go from a good tackle to a great guard. An O-line featuring Joeckel-Albert-Lilja-Asamoah or Allen-Winston would appear to be among the leagues best and certainly help whoever comes in at quarterback.
Icness
NFL Analyst

Post#108 » by Icness » Wed Feb 20, 2013 4:09 pm

CJ_18 wrote:*Waits patiently for Icness' first combine reports*

Unfortunately I will not be there, my father in law passed away and I'm in Middle of Nowhere IL for the next few days. I won't even be able to watch it until Sunday.
Icness
NFL Analyst

Post#109 » by Icness » Wed Feb 20, 2013 4:13 pm

PurpleJesus wrote:From what I've read if the Chiefs decide to let Branden Albert walk, their plan is to take Luke Joeckel with the 1st overall pick. My question is why not consider signing Albert and moving him to guard and drafting Joeckel anyway? Albert played guard mostly in college and everything I've heard suggests he can go from a good tackle to a great guard. An O-line featuring Joeckel-Albert-Lilja-Asamoah or Allen-Winston would appear to be among the leagues best and certainly help whoever comes in at quarterback.

That seems to be the plan, at least the plan they want everyone to believe. The point in letting Albert walk is that it frees up $$ to upgrade at other spots, like DT, WR, QBs (they need at least two), and RB behind Charles. Joeckel is an upgrade. Albert will not re-sign for guard money and the Chiefs wouldn't pay him the kind of $$ he wants and then move him to guard. They'd be paying their OL over $40M in 2014 if that was the case, not gonna happen.
Da Schwab
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,619

Post#110 » by Da Schwab » Wed Feb 20, 2013 5:41 pm

This is more of a personal question, but here goes:

What event during the Combine do you always make a point to really watch? I know this can be different depending on which group of positions is on the field every day, but if you had to pick one, what would it be?

At least for me, I always make it a point to watch the OLs do the bench reps, the WRs do the vert jump and the RBs do the 40.
Icness
NFL Analyst

Post#111 » by Icness » Thu Feb 21, 2013 12:00 am

Da Schwab wrote:This is more of a personal question, but here goes:

What event during the Combine do you always make a point to really watch? I know this can be different depending on which group of positions is on the field every day, but if you had to pick one, what would it be?

At least for me, I always make it a point to watch the OLs do the bench reps, the WRs do the vert jump and the RBs do the 40.

I watch short shuttle & the 3-cone drill. I watch the 40s but I really only pay attention to the 10-yard splits except for corners. Bench press is absolutely pointless. Think back to Stephen Paea and how much hype he got from his bench pressing. He cannot get off a block to save his NFL career, and his squat strength was lower than a lot of tight ends and running backs. Mike Kudla bench pressed a Volkswagen but couldn't play a lick in the NFL.
catalyst
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 41

Post#112 » by catalyst » Thu Feb 21, 2013 8:50 pm

Icness wrote:
Da Schwab wrote:This is more of a personal question, but here goes:

I watch short shuttle & the 3-cone drill. I watch the 40s but I really only pay attention to the 10-yard splits except for corners. Bench press is absolutely pointless. Think back to Stephen Paea and how much hype he got from his bench pressing. He cannot get off a block to save his NFL career, and his squat strength was lower than a lot of tight ends and running backs. Mike Kudla bench pressed a Volkswagen but couldn't play a lick in the NFL.

Since Cowboys took workout wonder Bobby "Barbie" Carpenter, this previous post is valuable. I have long wondered how much publicity London Fletcher would have with Carpenter's body. Look at Zack Thomas and other too small/not the right size, but the desire and want-to. These workout wonders get the press, but I would also think that you got to look at how they played in college, even with lesser competition. It often makes me wonder why QBs rise so high with so little backing them. Ponder, Gabbert, and that draft was puzzling. Tannehill was a surprise, b/c he was not good as A&M qb, with same coordinator/position coach in College and Pro. Will watch out for these drills, not the other mess.
Icness
NFL Analyst

Post#113 » by Icness » Mon Feb 25, 2013 3:30 am

Guys I've been surprised by on 1st two days of Combine
Positive:
Ryan Swope. Dude never ran close to that fast at TAMU.
Vance McDonald, solidified 2nd round status
Terron Armstead, also a definite 2nd round pick

Tyler Eifert. Pulled away from competition to be the top TE and the only TE in the top 40. He beat Dee Milliner over the top three times in the BCS title game, that speed is legit.

Lane Johnson, could crack the top 10, definitely gone at the Rams pick at 16. I think the Chargers take him.

Jonathan Cooper, for volunteering that he's willing to play center. This is the worst center class I can recall, if not ever. Brian Schwenke is the only "real" center that should go before the 6th round. If Cooper says he will play center, he's gone by 22 for sure. Both Travis Frederick, who might still be running the 40, and Barrett Jones, who is overrated, are NFL guards.

Tavon Austin. Put himself in play for top 20 consideration. Wouldn't surprise me at all if Miami took him at 12.

Chris Harper. A guy his size with his route running putting up anything below 4.55 is fantastic. No worse than 4th rounder, and this is a guy you want on your team. He'll be a productive #3 receiver for years, best blocking WR in the draft too.

Corey Fuller. Smooth dude.

Jonathan Franklin
Kerwynn Williams. These two both ran under 4.5, a little better than expected. Franklin very much in play for Detroit in third round, if he even lasts that long. Williams went from 5th-6th to potential early 4th in one day.

Negative:
Robbie Rouse. Not much potential for a 5'5" RB that can't break 4.8 in the 40 no matter how good his hands are.
Damontre Moore. 12 bench press reps. Ewww.
Ace Sanders. The 60 shuttle was fantastic, the rest was not near as good as expected.

Stepfan Taylor. Never been a big fan of his, but pairing his crappy 40 time with his poor explosive times really hurts him IMO. He does play faster than he times, but not enough to reach for him above the 5th round.

Zach Ertz. That sound you heard was his overinflated draft balloon oozing air. He'll still go in the top 70 but he's neither quick nor fast, and he's not a good blocker. I wouldn't touch him before mid-3rd and after Escobar and McDonald.

Colby Cameron. I generally could not care less about the QBs, but comparative arm strength is about the only thing to glean. Cameron had the worst.
JaxMagic
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 325

Post#114 » by JaxMagic » Tue Feb 26, 2013 2:03 am

Jeff,

In another thread I said my dream draft for the Jags would be Floyd in the 1st and Jarvis Jones in the 2nd. How likely do you think it is that Jarvis falls to 33 and how do you feel he would fit in Gus Bradley's defense? Could he fit the LEO role that Seattle used?
Icness
NFL Analyst

Post#115 » by Icness » Tue Feb 26, 2013 2:17 am

Jarvis falling to 33 is maybe 33%, my best guess. Hard to see the Patriots or Ravens passing him over but if there is a run on OL early it pushes all the LBs back.

He is not as physical as Bradley is accustomed for that role. That's my biggest knock on Jones, he struggles in traffic and doesn't use his hands well, plays with poor functional power. Bradley is a savvy enough coach to adjust to his skills. Love that coaching hire. But if you're value shopping, go Devonte Holloman in the 4th. Not as dynamic and not as good of a pass rusher, but similar stylistically. If you can, watch Holloman in the Michigan game where Clowney went boom; he terrorized the Wolverines.
JaxMagic
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 325

Post#116 » by JaxMagic » Tue Feb 26, 2013 2:28 am

Icness wrote:Jarvis falling to 33 is maybe 33%, my best guess. Hard to see the Patriots or Ravens passing him over but if there is a run on OL early it pushes all the LBs back.

He is not as physical as Bradley is accustomed for that role. That's my biggest knock on Jones, he struggles in traffic and doesn't use his hands well, plays with poor functional power. Bradley is a savvy enough coach to adjust to his skills. Love that coaching hire. But if you're value shopping, go Devonte Holloman in the 4th. Not as dynamic and not as good of a pass rusher, but similar stylistically. If you can, watch Holloman in the Michigan game where Clowney went boom; he terrorized the Wolverines.

Thanks! Insightful as always.
Jake0890
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers
And1: 807

Post#117 » by Jake0890 » Tue Feb 26, 2013 10:07 pm

What about Tyrann Mathieu? Did he rise or fall any at the combine?
Icness
NFL Analyst

Post#118 » by Icness » Wed Feb 27, 2013 3:42 am

Jake0890 wrote:What about Tyrann Mathieu? Did he rise or fall any at the combine?

It's hard to reconcile the 4 bench press reps with the pretty ordinary speed and explosion numbers and how legitimately great he looked in the position drill. I asked one team source that I know interviewed him about how that went and they said he was honest, open, and self-aware but also a very blunt instrument (being diplomatic). Call it a push.

Keep in mind he wasn't just a drug user but a drug manufacturer and distributor. And he admitted to smoking both pot and synthetic pot in November, after he'd already been booted from LSU and gone thru rehab. I don't know about every team but I know that three teams have him completely off their boards, and I suspect that number is a lot higher. It only takes one, but I don't believe that one (no idea who) will act before the comp picks at the end of the 3rd round.
Da Schwab
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,619

Post#119 » by Da Schwab » Wed Feb 27, 2013 4:26 am

Two questions:

Not necessarily draft related, but... What's the deal with Holmgren and the Raiders? Purely a role as a consultant, like with Cleveland, or something more serious?

Did any QBs make serious strides over the weekend in terms of where they might land, or is it still pretty much Geno/Barkley/Wilson as the best of the bunch?
Icness
NFL Analyst

Post#120 » by Icness » Wed Feb 27, 2013 4:39 am

Da Schwab wrote:Two questions:

Not necessarily draft related, but... What's the deal with Holmgren and the Raiders? Purely a role as a consultant, like with Cleveland, or something more serious?

Did any QBs make serious strides over the weekend in terms of where they might land, or is it still pretty much Geno/Barkley/Wilson as the best of the bunch?

It sounds like Holmgren would be a personnel consultant and more on the pro end than college end. Not an everyday gig and probably not as big a role as what people think. Of course all my Raiders people got blown out not long after Mr. Davis died...

On the QB front, keep an eye on EJ Manuel. A lot of people feel like he is someone that can really blossom at the next level with better coaching and a more conducive system. I don't share that opinion but I'm not the one drafting in the early 2nd round :wink: Also, I think Tyler Bray goes before Tyler Wilson. Best arm in the draft.

Return to NFL Draft