Draft Grades for all 32 Teams

Moderator: studcrackers

gswhoops
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,749

Draft Grades for all 32 Teams 

Post#1 » by gswhoops » Thu May 2, 2013 3:51 pm

Love 'em, hate 'em, whatever you gotta do.

Arizona Cardinals: B+

Objectively speaking, I can't point to a single pick that I think the Cardinals did badly with. Cooper and Watford will help immensely, and Minter is a very solid inside thumper at LB. Okafor was at one point projected to be a 1st rounder, so landing him in the 4th was impressive. I am not a fan of Mathieu, but he does have talent and Arizona has the structure to keep him in line. The additions of skill position players Swope, Taylor and Ellington will also give their offense a shot in the arm. So why a B+ rather than something in the A range? They failed to address the offensive tackle position with any of their nine picks, and should have taken a flier on one of the falling QBs in the later rounds, as they currently have no legitimate options behind the aging Carson Palmer.

Atlanta Falcons: B

The Falcons addressed their need at CB aggressively, trading up to grab Desmond Trufant and then following up his selection with Robert Alford in the 2nd. They were also able to add two rotational DEs, though they lack the potential to be true difference makers at the next level. Toilolo is a raw but athletically gifted TE who will learn from one of the best ever at his position. Potentially problematic that the Falcons did not address their offensive line or linebacking corps.

Baltimore Ravens: A

If you had any doubt as to why Ozzie Newsome is considered one of the best in the biz, consider this draft your wake up call. The Ravens did an excellent job of finding need and value at their selections. Arthur Brown at 56, and after players like Kiko Alonso and Jon Bostic, is unbelievable. While I personally was not a fan of Elam, there is no doubt he can fill the enforcer role in the secondary. Brandon Williams at the end of the third was a great pick up, and big WR Aaron Mellette may find a role soon.

Buffalo Bills: C

The Bills clearly set out to revamp their offense with an emphasis on speed, which they did. Manuel was a reach in the middle of the first round, especially with solid QBs available into the third day. Manuel has impressive physical gifts, but will need a considerable amount of coaching to translate that into NFL success. The same could be said of their selections of Kiko Alonso and Marquise Goodwin. Woods was an excellent pick and should step in immediately at the #2 WR spot. With so many "boom-or-bust" type picks, this grade is really a placeholder - in a few years it could be an A, or an F.

Carolina Panthers: B-

The Panthers plugged the hole in the middle of their defensive line with two quality DTs in Star Lotulelei and Kawann Short. Both had better talent then their draft position would indicate, but also some red flags (Lotulelei's health and Short's inconsistent effort)that caused them to fall. The rest of their draft, however, was lackluster. Kugbila was a reach in the 4th round and spending picks on LB and RB (two positions they have well covered) with needs at CB, S, and WR going unaddressed drops their grade.

Chicago Bears: D

The Bears made the biggest reach of the draft when they selected Kyle Long, a guard who started less than a dozen games at the DI level. He has the athletic gifts but will need to refine his technique if he wants to be effective at the next level. Second rounder Jon Bostic was also selected roughly a round too high, especially with a superior talent like Arthur Brown still on the board. They redeemed themselves somewhat on day three (especially with Jordan Mills), but at that point the damage was done.

Cincinnati Bengals: A-

The Bengals are making it clear that it's time for Andy Dalton to sink or swim in year 3. By adding weapons like Tyler Eifert and Gio Bernard, they are doing well to put playmakers around the young QB. They also added some quality pieces to their defense (I especially like Sean Porter's fit) and bolstered the depth on their offensive line. All in all, a very good three days for Cincy fans.

Cleveand Browns: C-

It is hard to grade the Browns' draft at this stage given their trades out of this draft and into next years, but for a young, developing team to walk away with only two likely contributors is rough. Mingo has huge potential and appears to be an ideal fit for a 3-4 OLB, but he'll have to do it behind Paul Kruger and Jabaal Sheard, at least initially. McFadden is a solid player and may be able to develop into a solid #2 CB across from Joe Haden.

Dallas Cowboys: F

I think this grade should be read as F as in WTF. Frederick is probably the best C prosect in the draft, but was not worthy of a first-round selection. He would have been available at the Cowboys' next pick. In a vaccum Escobar is a decent value in the middle of the second, but I wonder whether he will see enough playing time behind Witten to justify overlooking their needs at DT and OG. WR Williams is a height-weight-speed guy who will need time to develop into an effective receiver, and SS Wilcox will also need considerable development before becoming an impact player. Their third day picks were better but not good enough to redeem them.

Denver Broncos: C+

Sylvester Williams was an excellent pick - good value at a position of need. The rest of the draft was iffy though. Montee Ball was productive enough at Wisconsin, but he has a ton of miles on him, a worrysome injury history, and lacks the speed to break big plays at the next level. The rest of their picks are unlikely to contribute anything this season, and adding another developmental QB in Dysert is puzzling.

Detroit Lions: B+

The Lions did a good job of finding need and value at their picks. While they failed to address their hole at OT, they hit pretty much everything else. Ansah is an athletic marvel who, with proper coaching, could easily be a consistent double digit sack guy. My favorite pick of theirs was Warford though, an absolute mauler of a guard who will pave the road for newcomer Reggie Bush. They also found value on day 3 with guys like Devin Taylor and Corey Fuller.

Green Bay Packers: A-

Much to my dismay as a Niners fan, the Packers had an excellent draft. Datone Jones will be a perfect fit in the attacking 3-4 front that they run. Adding arguably the two best RBs in the draft, Lacy and Franklin, was a coup and their differing styles will give the Pack options in the run game. Bakthiari is an ideal fit for a ZBS system and could be a Week 1 starter. The only thing I would have liked to see them address is getting a playmaker at linebacker.

Houston Texans: A-

Houston also did very well for themselves finding guys who fit both need and value. Hopkins has a good shot at being the best WR from this class and is an ideal fit to play next to, learn from, and eventually take over for Andre Johnson. Swearinger is a big hitter who can also cover, and can play either safety position. Add a couple high level pass rushers in Montgomery and T. Williams and a couple versatile offensive linemen and you've got yourself a very good draft. I would have liked to see them pick up an ILB and perhaps a developmental QB, but you can't get everything.

Indianapolis Colts: B-

Werner is a solid but largely unspectacular player in my opinion, low ceiling but low floor as well. He does not seem like a natural fit for an OLB though. The rest of their draft was underwhelming as well, with the exception of NT Montori Hughes, who could be a very good space eater. Boyett could outplay his draft spot if he can stay healthy.

Jacksonville Jaguars: B

Hard to argue with Joeckel as the BPA, but left tackle is one of the few positions that the Jags are actually OK at (at least for now). They made a strong effort to shore up their defensive backfield and hit with some solid players in Cyprien, Gratz, and got a steal in the 6th with safety Josh Evans. Ace Sanders should be a very effective slot receiver and kick returner; and if Denard Robinson can find a position he has exciting athleticism. Failing to address their league-worst pass rush OR at least take a flier on a falling QB hurts them considerably though.

Kansas City Chiefs: C

Tough year to have the #1 pick. Fisher was the right selection, but he's not the caliber of prospect that one typically expects of the #1 pick. The rest of their draft was decidedly meh. Kelce is an athletic TE but has injury and character concerns. A couple late rounders may pan out, but they still have a long way to go. Missing out on landing a pick for Albert may come back to haunt them.

Miami Dolphins: A

The Phins came into the draft with plenty of ammunition and they did not disappoint. Moving from #12 to #3 at the cost of only a mid-2nd rounder was a no-brainer considering they had 5 picks in the first 3 rounds. Jordan may not be a natural fit for a 4-3, but has the frame to add weight. He and Wake will be a fearsome pass rush combination. Getting Jamar Taylor (my personal favorite corner in the draft) in the 50's was an epic steal. They also found a couple late round gems in Jelani Jenkins, Dion Sims, Mike Gillislee and the best kicker in the draft, Caleb Sturgis. They may well challenge for a playoff spot in 2013.

Minnesota Vikings: B+

The Vikes took advantage of some falling prospects to add a serious influx of talent to their roster. Floyd is a terror in the middle and will help every level of the defense, and Rhodes is the kind of big, athletic corner who can match up with guys like Megatron and Brandon Marshall. Patterson is absurdly athletic but very raw - he's going to be a top 10 wideout or out of the league before his next contract. Moving up for Patterson left them with few picks to bolster their depth, but it was a worthy risk. Their season all rides on Christian Ponder now.

New England Patriots: C-

I really don't like the Pats' decision to trade out of the first round. With only a few years before their window to get Brady another ring closes, they need to be adding as many impact players as they can. Instead, they dropped from #29 to #52 for a late third and an early 4th. Collins is an athletic pass rusher but I wonder where he will see the field behind Chandler Jones and Ninkovich. Dobson and Boyce are solid additions to the receiving corps but neither projects to be a game changer.

New Orleans Saints: B+

With few picks, it was critical that the Saints hit on them all. And they did. Vaccaro is the best safety in the draft by a good margain, a guy who can cover with the best of them and deliver jarring hits. Armstead has the athletic potential to be a starting LT but will need time to refine his technique - good value in the middle of the third. Jenkins has all the potential to be a great NT if he can control his weight, and Stills is a solid receiver who will give Brees another weapon.

New York Giants: B

The Giants reached in picking Pugh at #19, but he will at be at least a solid lineman (though he may have to kick inside to guard). They made up for it by getting two guys with first round talent, Hankins and Moore, in the second and third rounds, respectively. Though they both have questions surrounding their effort and conditioning, their abilities are undeniable.

New York Jets: B-

Have the Jets ever met a reporter they didn't like? They had a solid 1st round, picking up the draft's concensus best corner in Dee Milliner and a high intensity defensive lineman in Sheldon Williams (though it's unclear where or how he'll see playing time). Picking Geno Smith in the second round was solid on its face, but invited the kind of media distraction that has surrounded the Jets for the last several years. They also failed to pick up any offensive skill position players to help whoever ends up playing under center.

Oakland Raiders: B+

Yes, I was as surprised as anyone that the Raiders had a solid draft. Some argue that they should have gotten more value dropping from #3 to #12, but this was a bad year to want to move down, and considering they got the same guy at 12 that they were thinking about picking at 3, whatever they could get is pure profit. The Raiders hit numerous areas of need with good value picks, including Hayden and Menelik Watson. Sio Moore is my favorite pick of the bunch, and Tyler Wilson in the 4th was a major coup.

Philadelphia Eagles: B-

Apparently I'm the only one who was unimpressed by the Eagles' drafting Lane Johnson at 4th overall. He has great athleticism but will need some coaching before he's ready to take over the blind side. They did a good job finding value with the rest of their picks though, especially with landing Jordan Poyer in the 6th (which could be the steal of the draft).

Pittsburgh Steelers: B

I am not a big Jarvis Jones fan, since he won't have the same opportunities to freelance and make plays that made him a star at UGA. His underwhelming athleticism and inability to shed blockers could easily neutralize him at the next level, to say nothing of his medical issues. The rest of their picks were on point though. LeVeon Bell seems born to be a Steelers RB, and Markus Wheaton could replace what Mike Wallace brought them, but much, much cheaper.

San Diego Chargers: C

Fluker is an absolute mauler of a run blocker, but is too deficient as a pass protector to be worthy of a top-12 pick and will likely be limited to the right side. The Chargers were basically forced to take the best offensive lineman available though, since their line is a tire fire. I am also not a fan of Te'o, though he will be in one of the better possible positions for him to succeed as a counterpart to Donald Butler in a comfortable 3-4. Allen saves their draft grade though - if healthy, he would likely have been one of the top WRs off the board. Landing him in the 70's was excellent work.

San Francisco 49ers: A-

Call me biased, but the Niners had an excellent draft. Reid was a reach at 18, but with a plethora of picks the Niners could afford to spend a little extra to get "their guy." Tank Carradine and Corey Lemonier will bolster a pass rush that struggled down the stretch, and Vance McDonald and fourth round steal Quinton Patton give OC Greg Roman and QB Colin Kaepernick some new toys to play with. RB Marcus Lattimore will not give them anything in 2013, but can project as a long term replacement for Frank Gore should he return to form. One parting thought: Trent Baalke turned Alex Smith into Tank Carradine and two 2014 3rd rounders. Boom.

Seattle Seahawks: C-

Having spent their 1st and 7th rounders on Percy Harvin, the 'Hawks were bound for a quiet draft. However, they pulled off some head-scratchers. Spending their first pick on talented but troubled running back Christine Michael, when they have one of the best in the league in Marshawn "Beast Mode" Lynch and a solid backup in Robert Turbin, was questionable. They did pick up some solid DTs in Hill and Williams and a bullish WR in Chris Harper, but did not do a particularly good job of filling needs.

St. Louis Rams: A-

The Rams biggest need was a playmaking WR to take the pressure off Sam Bradford, and they got the best one in the draft in Tavon Austin. His size is worrying, but he is ridiculously quick and electric with the ball in his hands, and has the ability to line up all over the field. Stedman Bailey, his WVU teammate, is the perfect foil for Austin: a great route runner with sure hands who can fight for the tough yards. And adding Barrett Jones to their offensive line was an excellent move. Alec Ogletree has all the ability to be a star linebacker, but must learn to harness his incredible athletic abilities.

Tampa Bay Buccaneers: B

The real prize of the draft for Tampa was Darrelle Revis, who will instantly transform the Bucs' secondary. They did well with the rest of their picks, landing Johnthan Banks and a pair of quality defensive linemen in Akeem Spence and William Gholston. Glennon is a bizarre pick though. He has the arm to be an NFL QB, but none of the other attributes necessary. If they really wanted a guy like that, Tyler Bray could have been acquired as an undrafted free agent.

Tennessee Titans: C+

With Chance Warmack on board, the Titans can forget about RG for the next decade or so, although I question the wisdom of spending a top-10 pick on a guard immediately after throwing a huge contract at G Andy Levitre. Justin Hunter has an impressive combination of height-weight-speed, but too often doesn't make catches he should and seems tenative going into traffic. Surrendering a 3rd rounder to move up just six spots was a considerable overpay. Wreh-Wilson was a strong addition in the third round.

Washington Redskins: C-

With no 1st rounder stemming from last year's acquisition of RGIII, the Redskins didn't have a single pick in the top-50. Their first pick, Amerson, had a ton of hype after racking up 12 interceptions in 2011, but got burned deep repeatedly in 2012. He has impressive measurables and ball-hawking skills, but is a long way from being a starting caliber NFL corner. Jordan Reed and Chris Thompson will be interesting weapons for Kyle Shanahan to play with, and their two safety picks (Phillip Thomas and Baccari Rambo) may well end up being their starters in 2013, though more out of desperation than anything else. Brandon Jenkins was at one time considered a first round talent, so he will be interesting to watch.
Mule Tears
Starter
And1: 216

Re: Draft Grades for all 32 Teams 

Post#2 » by Mule Tears » Thu May 2, 2013 4:15 pm

Really really great insight. Fair grades and excellent descriptions. One of the better ones I've read.
The Future Has Arrived: Paolo Banchero is coming to Orlando!
Worm Guts
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 10,528

Post#3 » by Worm Guts » Thu May 2, 2013 6:24 pm

The Vikes took advantage of some falling prospects to add a serious influx of talent to their roster. Floyd is a terror in the middle and will help every level of the defense, and Rhodes is the kind of big, athletic corner who can match up with guys like Megatron and Brandon Marshall. Patterson is absurdly athletic but very raw - he's going to be a top 10 wideout or out of the league before his next contract. Moving up for Patterson left them with few picks to bolster their depth, but it was a worthy risk. Their season all rides on Christian Ponder now.

I don't really agree that Patterson is so boom or bust. He'll probably be able to stay in the league as a kick returner if nothing else. As a receiver, I'm not sure he'll ever be a 100 catch type guy but of the catches he does get he'll be able to turn a few into big plays.
gswhoops
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#4 » by gswhoops » Thu May 2, 2013 8:11 pm

Mule Tears wrote:Really really great insight. Fair grades and excellent descriptions. One of the better ones I've read.

Thanks, appreciate the feedback.

Worm Guts wrote:

I don't really agree that Patterson is so boom or bust. He'll probably be able to stay in the league as a kick returner if nothing else. As a receiver, I'm not sure he'll ever be a 100 catch type guy but of the catches he does get he'll be able to turn a few into big plays.

I don't know, I just can't see a guy with such incredible physical gifts turning into a merely decent player. You're probably right that even if he fails to learn the nuances of playing WR he could probably find a niche as a kick returner and catch-and-run guy. But if he can pick up the tricks of the trade (and IMO he has a great guy to learn from in Jennings) he's going to be really, really good.
ATL Boy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,003

Post#5 » by ATL Boy » Fri May 3, 2013 10:40 pm

One of the best reads I've had about draft grades, this was wonderful work. Although I just have a tiny criticism: the Falcons didn't really have OT needs. Our O line is solid with Peter Konz (Last year's 2nd rounder who fell from the first) shifting to his original position of C with the savy vet Mcclure retiring, we re-signed Baker long term and Holmes is a solid player too. Blalock is also really good. OT wasn't really a big position of need but I do agree with your grade of a B because we waited too long to get a DE and didn't get a linebacker.
SichtingLives wrote:life hack:

When a man heaves a live chainsaw towards you from distance, stand still. No one has good accuracy throwing a chainsaw.
Roger Murdock
RealGM
And1: 4,657

Post#6 » by Roger Murdock » Sun May 5, 2013 12:32 am

I just don't agree with the way the Browns drafts has been getting rated.

Mingo - The guy I wanted at 6, with chance to make big contributions right away and a ridiculous upside at one of the games most important positions.

Josh Gordon - I'd take this guy over any other WR in the draft and we got him with a second rounder. Would have gone top 10 this year in hindsight. Already a proven good player in the NFL, which makes him the only player in the draft you can say that about. Hes also the reason Browns drafts are getting graded so low even though 1. We were bashed for taking him last year, 2. Invested this years pick in him, 3. Are getting bashed for not having enough picks this year. Its like he doesn't exist for some reason.

Leon McFadden - Should contribute as a top 3 corner right away and had the most experience playing in aggressive fronts on an island of any secondary players.

Devon Bess - Added by trading down in the middle rounds.

Two higher picks next year - Nobody on board was of interest, everyone says this years draft sucks and next years will be way better. These trades and the Bess one are trades that give the Patriots A's in draft grades when they make em, and us bad grades.

Late round picks - whatever, grading them matters little. Usually the big name guys fell for a reason and are the only ones who result in high grades.
Cammo101
Mr. Mock Draft
And1: 1,766

Post#7 » by Cammo101 » Sun May 5, 2013 5:32 am

Indy and Philly having the same grade is madness. Philly landed so much more talent and maximized pretty much all their picks. Indy, outside of Werner took a bunch of reaches and injury concerns.
gswhoops
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#8 » by gswhoops » Mon May 6, 2013 2:20 am

Roger Murdock wrote:I just don't agree with the way the Browns drafts has been getting rated.

Mingo - The guy I wanted at 6, with chance to make big contributions right away and a ridiculous upside at one of the games most important positions.

Josh Gordon - I'd take this guy over any other WR in the draft and we got him with a second rounder. Would have gone top 10 this year in hindsight. Already a proven good player in the NFL, which makes him the only player in the draft you can say that about. Hes also the reason Browns drafts are getting graded so low even though 1. We were bashed for taking him last year, 2. Invested this years pick in him, 3. Are getting bashed for not having enough picks this year. Its like he doesn't exist for some reason.

Leon McFadden - Should contribute as a top 3 corner right away and had the most experience playing in aggressive fronts on an island of any secondary players.

Devon Bess - Added by trading down in the middle rounds.

Two higher picks next year - Nobody on board was of interest, everyone says this years draft sucks and next years will be way better. These trades and the Bess one are trades that give the Patriots A's in draft grades when they make em, and us bad grades.

Late round picks - whatever, grading them matters little. Usually the big name guys fell for a reason and are the only ones who result in high grades.

Let me take these point by point. We seem to be largely in agreement about Mingo and McFadden, though you may be a bit more bullish on him than I am. Gordon I did not include in my analysis, since the decision to take him in the Supplemental Draft happened a while ago (although if I did include him, it would definitely raise the grade). Trading for higher picks in the future may pay off but given that the Browns were already down picks and are transitioning to a new system, I would have liked to see them add guys they can start to groom earlier rather than later. Bess is solid but unspectacular, though he should have a decent role.

Cammo101 wrote:Indy and Philly having the same grade is madness. Philly landed so much more talent and maximized pretty much all their picks. Indy, outside of Werner took a bunch of reaches and injury concerns.

I really did not think Lane Johnson was worthy of a top-5 pick. I think they overreacted to Fisher/Joeckel going 1/2 and took a guy who, while extremely athletic, is going to require a pretty substantial amount of coaching before he can be a high caliber tackle. I'm not confident that he'll even be ready to start at RT this year. The rest of their picks were good values for where they were (I personally am not a huge Ertz fan but that's mainly stylistic and he will fit in well with Chip Kelly's style of offense) but I attach a lot more value to a team's higher picks in terms of how their final grade ends up.

As far as Indy is concerned, I think they did decently given their dearth of picks. Werner has limited upside but is a safer pick, and should be ready to contribute as a rookie. Thornton may start at RG and I really like the upside that Montori Hughes has at NT. Since my grades tried to take into account how well each team used their assets, and not just how much talent they acquired, Indy doing decently with a limited number of picks may end up with the same grade as a team that got more talent but had more picks going into it, and missed on their top selection (in my mind).
Higga
Lead Assistant
And1: 831

Post#9 » by Higga » Wed May 8, 2013 3:43 pm

Your grade on the Redskins is too harsh. Yeah they didn't have a 1st rounder, but they still got great value. They got two Safeties who were both graded top 5 at their position in late rounds. Amerson has a ton of talent, just needs to be coached up. Jenkins the OLB was a 1st round talent before injury. Reed is an atheltic and explosive freak. Thompson gives us a legit burner speed threat to compliment Morris.

We filled needs and got real good value. Should be a B grade at least. Of course overall it's really silly to grade drafts before the players even play a down.
Eric Maynor is the worst basketball player I've ever seen.
gswhoops
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#10 » by gswhoops » Wed May 8, 2013 4:15 pm

Higga wrote:Your grade on the Redskins is too harsh. Yeah they didn't have a 1st rounder, but they still got great value. They got two Safeties who were both graded top 5 at their position in late rounds. Amerson has a ton of talent, just needs to be coached up. Jenkins the OLB was a 1st round talent before injury. Reed is an atheltic and explosive freak. Thompson gives us a legit burner speed threat to compliment Morris.

I think a lot of why I gave the Skins a bad grade has to do with my personal opinions about their guys.

Amerson at CB is going to be a disaster. I hope I'm wrong, but I don't think I am (and I like the Skins). He doesn't flip his hips well at all and bites on double moves often, which put together means he gets BURNED deep on the regular. That's a really tough quality to try and work around in a corner, especially with the safety position as unsettled as it is. He is a great ballhawk and has size, I'd think he's going to be much better at FS than CB.

Thomas and Rambo are both kind of in the same mold as well. They're gamblers who will make big plays but also let big plays by them with uncomfortable regularity. Neither really takes good angles or are solid tacklers. Not the kind of safety you want with unsettled corners, IMO.

I do like Thompson, Reed and Jenkins.

...Of course overall it's really silly to grade drafts before the players even play a down.

Absolutely agree with you there
Magilla_Gorilla
RealGM
And1: 4,451

Post#11 » by Magilla_Gorilla » Wed May 8, 2013 8:15 pm

gswhoops wrote:Chicago Bears: D

The Bears made the biggest reach of the draft when they selected Kyle Long, a guard who started less than a dozen games at the DI level. He has the athletic gifts but will need to refine his technique if he wants to be effective at the next level. Second rounder Jon Bostic was also selected roughly a round too high, especially with a superior talent like Arthur Brown still on the board. They redeemed themselves somewhat on day three (especially with Jordan Mills), but at that point the damage was done.

I disagree with the grade - but this strictly a subjective thing so I'm not going to get up in arms about it.

RE: Kyle Long being a reach - Both Gil Brandt and Dan Pompei reported that Indy & the Packers were both looking at Long in the first round (Brandt reported both teams were prepared to take him if he was there). Additionally there were reports that Dallas traded back with the hope Long would still be there at 31. I think this was a case where the draft analysts didn't have the same grade on a guy the teams did. For the Bears GM, he's the perfect height/weight/speed guy at a position of need. We'll see how it works out - I've got my doubts - but I don't know that he went any earlier than at least a few teams had him going. Especially if he eventually moves out to LT as Mayock and Cosell believe he will.

RE: Bostic - This pick is strictly a Height/Weight/Speed pick. Emery appears to be infatuated with measurables - especially as it relates to players who were productive in the SEC. I also think that there were size/injury issues with Brown that cause 31 teams to pass on him - many twice.

Overall - excellent writeup. It takes a great deal of time and effort to do one of these right, and I applaud you for it. I don't agree with all of your grades but I appreciate you putting in the effort and posting it here.
Sham - Y U NO sell me a t-shirt? Best OB/GYN Houston
righterwriter
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,536

Post#12 » by righterwriter » Mon May 13, 2013 3:27 pm

good job.

just an fyi, the niners turned Alex Smith into Tank, a 3rd rounder via TEN in '14, AND the Chiefs 2nd rd pick (if they win 9 or more games) or a 3rd rd pick if they win 8 or less.
Pharmcat
RealGM
And1: 19,009

Post#13 » by Pharmcat » Mon May 13, 2013 10:04 pm

i have no idea what DEN did....theyve wasted picks on hillman and ball when they couldve just had doug martin

and taking a developmental QB when they took a QB early in the draft last year?
gswhoops
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#14 » by gswhoops » Tue May 14, 2013 12:45 pm

Magilla_Gorilla wrote:
gswhoops wrote:Chicago Bears: D

I disagree with the grade - but this strictly a subjective thing so I'm not going to get up in arms about it.

RE: Kyle Long being a reach - Both Gil Brandt and Dan Pompei reported that Indy & the Packers were both looking at Long in the first round (Brandt reported both teams were prepared to take him if he was there). Additionally there were reports that Dallas traded back with the hope Long would still be there at 31. I think this was a case where the draft analysts didn't have the same grade on a guy the teams did. For the Bears GM, he's the perfect height/weight/speed guy at a position of need. We'll see how it works out - I've got my doubts - but I don't know that he went any earlier than at least a few teams had him going. Especially if he eventually moves out to LT as Mayock and Cosell believe he will.

RE: Bostic - This pick is strictly a Height/Weight/Speed pick. Emery appears to be infatuated with measurables - especially as it relates to players who were productive in the SEC. I also think that there were size/injury issues with Brown that cause 31 teams to pass on him - many twice.

Overall - excellent writeup. It takes a great deal of time and effort to do one of these right, and I applaud you for it. I don't agree with all of your grades but I appreciate you putting in the effort and posting it here.

I'll admit that I hadn't heard any similar buzz about Long, but if he really was the guy that the Bears wanted, he definitely wouldn't have been available at 53. It's not a Cowboys situation where they could have gotten the exact same guy at their next pick. I'm not pleased with the value though.
penquin11
Sixth Man
And1: 148

Post#15 » by penquin11 » Thu May 16, 2013 8:32 pm

Just some things about your review:

1. Montee Ball- when was he ever injured????

2. Jets drafted Sheldon Richardson (not Sheldon Williams), he will pay at Couples old position.

3. Your rediculously harsh on the Chargers: they got the highest rated ILB in the draft (don't even try it), they got a WR that was being talked about as a 1st round guy, and they grabbed a starting RT (although too early in my opinion)..... And they get a C? That is 3 starters with their first 3 picks.... That is not an "Average" draft, that is a Good draft.... it deserves at least a B.

4. The 49ers got a A-? Are you serious? They got 1 starter, a guy who couldn't produce when he was at LSU. Aside from him they secured 0 other starters. They didn't grab an NT or try to make a move to select a backup for Smith (cough: Margus Hunt), Carradine hasn't been on the field in a year, and while he rose up during the draft process, it's important to remember that he wasn't exactly spectacular when he was on the field. And more-over, he doesn't fill a need for the 49ers....

5. Eagles: Who would have they drafted with their first pick? They needed an LT, and it isn't like Johnson didn't play well during the season, though his real rise started at the Senior bowl where he handled everyone and everything.

6. Vikings: I'm not even a huge Floyd fan, but for gods sake, you gave the frigen 49ers an A-, when they secured 1 starter (who, while athletic, was crap at LSU), and the Vikings a B+?? The Vikings secured a starting WR, who could replace Harvin, a starting DT, who was the highest rated DT in the entire draft, and they got a starting CB who is a zone-press specialist (which is exactly what they needed)?? Sure they didn't get a QB, but this wasn't a QB strong draft- if anything they showed patience in NOT being like the Bills...

If all of their picks pan out, and play to their potential, then the Vikings will have gotten 3 all stars with their first 3 picks in the draft..... Give them the grade they deserve: A+
Devilzsidewalk wrote:no, the DB's will just be thinking "damn, I thought that was going to be a run!" as they easily recover to intercept a Ponder pass 10 yards off the mark
gswhoops
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#16 » by gswhoops » Fri May 17, 2013 2:39 pm

penquin11 wrote:Just some things about your review:

1. Montee Ball- when was he ever injured????

Couple head injuries, though upon re-review they appeared to be a lot more minor than I remember them.

2. Jets drafted Sheldon Richardson (not Sheldon Williams), he will pay at Couples old position.

Whoops, too used to basketball and got the name wrong. Where does Coples play then? He's way too small to be a NT and too big to be an OLB.

3. Your rediculously harsh on the Chargers: they got the highest rated ILB in the draft (don't even try it), they got a WR that was being talked about as a 1st round guy, and they grabbed a starting RT (although too early in my opinion)..... And they get a C? That is 3 starters with their first 3 picks.... That is not an "Average" draft, that is a Good draft.... it deserves at least a B.

I'll take these pick by pick.

Fluker was a terrible selection. He's a fantastic run blocker. Great. He wasn't a particularly good pass protector at the college level which means he's likely to get overrun in the pros. He projects to be a good, maybe very good, but not an elite RT. Look at how devalued the RT position has gotten recently (some very good RTs like Smith, Vollemer, Clabo, etc. got cheap deals and guys like Winston are still without a home) and it becomes a very poor use of resources to take a right tackle in the top-12.

I have to disagree with you about Te'o being the "concensus" top ILB. I know a lot of draftniks that did not have him at the top. Behind guys like Brown, Ogletree, and even Kevin Minter. I happen to think he's an incredibly overrated player simply because 1) he played behind a GREAT defensive line (especially guys like Tuitt and Nix, who are both probably top-20 picks in 2014) 2) ND happens to be a very high visibility program and 3) they pulled off an undefeated season until getting thumped by Bama. Don't get me wrong he's a solid player, but with his lack of speed he's not going to be able to cover TEs one-on-one which limits him to being a two-down run thumper. Again, acceptable, not great or even good value in the late 30's.

Allen was a brilliant pick. Absolutely fantastic. Can't say enough good things about it. He can be a legit #1 WR and the Bolts got him in the middle of round 3.

The way I grade drafts is relative to what teams had going in, and how well they hit both need AND value with their assets. In my opinion the Chargers did not hit value well at all, especially with their first and most important pick.

4. The 49ers got a A-? Are you serious? They got 1 starter, a guy who couldn't produce when he was at LSU. Aside from him they secured 0 other starters. They didn't grab an NT or try to make a move to select a backup for Smith (cough: Margus Hunt), Carradine hasn't been on the field in a year, and while he rose up during the draft process, it's important to remember that he wasn't exactly spectacular when he was on the field. And more-over, he doesn't fill a need for the 49ers....

I'm not sure how Reid didn't produce at LSU. In three years as a starter he put up 199 tackles, 6 picks, 17 PDs and two FFs. As far as only getting one starter, that's kinda true (although McDonald will be playing a lot of snaps as the presumptive TE2). But I don't know how many rookies you expect to be starting on a team coming off a Super Bowl appearance...

Tank Carradine is the backup for Smith. That's his role, that's the need he fills. As far as his stats go, he had 80 tackles, 13 TFLs and 11 sacks in 12 games...if that's your definition of unspectacular then I think we just define the word differently.

5. Eagles: Who would have they drafted with their first pick? They needed an LT, and it isn't like Johnson didn't play well during the season, though his real rise started at the Senior bowl where he handled everyone and everything.

Pass rusher (Ansah, Mingo), cornerback (Milliner), defensive lineman (Lotulelei, Floyd), trade down...there were plenty of options if the Eagles decided they didn't like Johnson. I'm not saying Johnson is going to be a bad player, but there is a substantial amount of development needed before he'll be ready to handle guys like DeMarcus Ware, Jason Pierre-Paul, Brian Orakpo, etc. (and those are all guys in his division).

6. Vikings: I'm not even a huge Floyd fan, but for gods sake, you gave the frigen 49ers an A-, when they secured 1 starter (who, while athletic, was crap at LSU), and the Vikings a B+?? The Vikings secured a starting WR, who could replace Harvin, a starting DT, who was the highest rated DT in the entire draft, and they got a starting CB who is a zone-press specialist (which is exactly what they needed)?? Sure they didn't get a QB, but this wasn't a QB strong draft- if anything they showed patience in NOT being like the Bills...

If all of their picks pan out, and play to their potential, then the Vikings will have gotten 3 all stars with their first 3 picks in the draft..... Give them the grade they deserve: A+

I don't judge a draft by the number of starters they got. Obviously a team with minimal talent (which the Vikings are NOT) is going to have an opportunity to add more starters than a team with established vets at almost every position. That's a false metric.

As far as the Vikes go, I really liked the Floyd picks. Rhodes wasn't my personal favorite corner but I think he's a very good fit to match up with guys like Johnson and Marshall. I'm less bullish on Patterson though. He's obviously got the athletic talent but he is going to need some work before he can be a productive receiver, and he's got a pretty high bust risk.

Overall though, thanks for taking the time to read. These aren't any fun without being challenged!
GRITnGRIND
Ballboy
And1: 0

Post#17 » by GRITnGRIND » Fri May 17, 2013 11:49 pm

I would grade the Titans a little better than a C+, but not too far off. I'm probably around a B/B+ on them. The difference between me and you is likely the Justin Hunter pick, as I'm pretty fond of it. His drop issue is really overplayed, IMO. He had an issue with them through the start of the season, but from mid way to the end, the problem disappeared. He's admitted to trying too hard(as it was him coming back from his ACL tear), and I feel he played scared for a little while.

In regards to drafting Warmack after signing Levitre, I really have no problem with it. The interior of our OL has been trash for years now. It finally looked decent this past season with a healthy Hutchinson lined up beside Velasco at C and Harris at RG. Harris was pretty meh, but he wasn't so bad that he was a liability. However, injuries happened(lost both Hutchinson and RT David Stewart for the rest of the year during the same game), and after that, the offense really went downhill.

Well, consider that things really started to go downhill for the line in the 12th game of 2012, when both Stewart and guard Steve Hutchinson suffered season-ending injuries early in the same contest.

Over those last five games, running back Chris Johnson was held under 60 yards four times, while quarterback Jake Locker threw three touchdowns, seven interceptions and was sacked 20 times.

So obviously, with Hutchinson retiring, we brought in Levitre, and then we make a huge upgrade(as Harris got hurt last year as well, had to play Lutui at RG for several games, he was pretty much garbage) putting in Warmack at RG, and Velasco, who had a solid year at center for us, staying put.

The picks that confused me the most, and kept me from giving this draft class anything higher than a B to B+, were Zaviar Gooden and Brian Schwenke. Not because I don't like them as prospects/players, as I feel Gooden's athletic ability could translate in to a very solid OLB, and Schwenke was my #1 center prospect heading in to the draft..but it's because I didn't see the need. Ayers and Brown have the two OLB spots locked up. The only need we had at LB, if any, was better ILB depth due to McCarthy's injury concerns. I've heard we'll be using Ayers more as a blitzer(which he's great at), and having Gooden step in when he does that, but I don't see the reason why we'd spend a 3rd round pick on a situational player. Maybe we have bigger plans for him than I can see.

And Schwenke confuses me, because as I pointed out earlier, Fernando Velasco was very solid at center last year for us. Granted, he's working on a 1 year contract now(signed his tender), but I felt we could lock him up for 5 or 6 years(he just turned 28 in February, so not like age is an issue) for a decent contract, but I dunno. Maybe he was asking for too much money and we wanted to just go ahead and draft his replacement to learn under him for a year.

...Anyway, sorry for such a long post, lol. Kind of rambled there for a bit I guess. Enjoyed reading your grades anyway.
LAKESHOW
RealGM
And1: 4,190

Post#18 » by LAKESHOW » Mon May 20, 2013 3:44 pm

Detroit Lions: B+

The Lions did a good job of finding need and value at their picks. While they failed to address their hole at OT, they hit pretty much everything else. Ansah is an athletic marvel who, with proper coaching, could easily be a consistent double digit sack guy. My favorite pick of theirs was Warford though, an absolute mauler of a guard who will pave the road for newcomer Reggie Bush. They also found value on day 3 with guys like Devin Taylor and Corey Fuller.

FOLKS haven't seen it yet, but the parting of the red seas is about to happen with Reggie Bush in Detroit. Gigantic breakout year. I will, as usual, put more haters and doubters in check when my predictions come to pass.

Secondly, props to the Ravens. Our local southern California team the Chargers, kept LT around waay too long and could not rebuild at a fast enough pace. dumping the likes of sheeesh, too numerous to mention, brees, cromartie, turner for example. While the Ravens who have an understanding of how it all works, release KEY KEY PERSONNEL and keep rolling. Ed Reed for example. Nice analysis on the Ravens, they know how to move on from the super star fan favorite player, and move forward to filling needed gaps with youth.
Home of the 17 Time World Champions

Return to NFL Draft