Post#1 » by Celtsfan1980 » Wed Nov 19, 2014 12:27 am

Is he worth trading up for?
clyde21
RealGM
And1: 69,183

Re: Marcus Mariota 

Post#2 » by clyde21 » Sat Nov 22, 2014 1:53 am

No.

Too many question marks regarding his ability to stay strong in the pocket and make NFL/reads adjustments. Not quite saying he won't be capable of doing it, just that it's an unknown. His time at the whiteboard will be crucial for him at the combine when he meets with NFL coaches.

He also doesn't make NFL in throws in terms of fitting balls in tight windows. You watch that Oregon offense and WRs are consistently open with 2-3 yards of separation. How will he adjust when that window and timing is cut in half at the pro level?

He COULD turn out to be really good - or he COULD be the next Sam Bradford. A little too risky for me in terms of trading UP for him. He also doesn't fit in all schemes/offense. So you're gonna have to tailor your offense around him as well as your supporting cast, while a guy like Winston fits a broader range of philosophies/offenses.
Celtsfan1980
Assistant Coach
And1: 192

Post#3 » by Celtsfan1980 » Mon Dec 1, 2014 3:41 pm

I could way off on this as I don't watch the Raiders play, but I think he'll be a Raider. I expect them to keep their first pick. Teams rarely get chances at good quarterbacks in the draft, so I expect them to take advantage.
KuruptedCav
Analyst
And1: 1,125

Post#4 » by KuruptedCav » Mon Dec 29, 2014 3:30 am

Marcus Mariota is one of those QBs who will need to sit for a year or two to get coached up on the NFL in terms of playing QB and speed. If you bring him along slow, he has Aaron Rodgers potential. If you rush him, you are looking at Cade McNown/Joey Harrington. He's benefitted from wide open windows, huge YACs, and a lower level of defensive speed.

It's not that I don't think he can be good or even great, just that his game has more evolving to do to get to a quality NFL level.
King Ken
General Manager
And1: 5,375

Post#5 » by King Ken » Fri Jan 2, 2015 12:59 pm

I think Marcus is a good QB and an elite college QB who has elite tools. Marcus doesn't throw anyone open and he plays that gimmicky offense. He's going to need at least a year or two to sit and learn the game from the NFL level. Anyone saying he's like Russell Wilson is stupid. RW was making NFL throws at NC State when he has a crap supporting cast. His transition will be more notiable than Johnny Manizel who at the least was accurate outside of 15 yards.

My comparison for Mariota is Ryan Tannehill. Mariota has better tools and talent than Ryan but Tannehill was accurate from all over the field. Both QB's need polish out of college. I don't see a bust in Mariota but I see a player who will fall short of the hype. This draft isn't very good at all. A lot of role players from top to bottom. I see like five potential Pro Bowlers (Winston, Gurley, L. Williams, Cooper and Gregory.)

The rest of the guys are either role players or could be stars depending on the systems and how their development goes. Last year had all the talent. You could get someone at 30 last year you wouldn't be able to draft at 10 in this draft.
jon33km
Ballboy
And1: 0

Post#6 » by jon33km » Sat Jan 3, 2015 10:03 pm

He's good. He's definitely the best QB in the 2015 nfl draft!
Icness
NFL Analyst
And1: 129

Post#7 » by Icness » Sun Jan 4, 2015 2:52 am

King Ken wrote:I think Marcus is a good QB and an elite college QB who has elite tools. Marcus doesn't throw anyone open and he plays that gimmicky offense. He's going to need at least a year or two to sit and learn the game from the NFL level. Anyone saying he's like Russell Wilson is stupid. RW was making NFL throws at NC State when he has a crap supporting cast. His transition will be more notiable than Johnny Manizel who at the least was accurate outside of 15 yards.

My comparison for Mariota is Ryan Tannehill. Mariota has better tools and talent than Ryan but Tannehill was accurate from all over the field. Both QB's need polish out of college. I don't see a bust in Mariota but I see a player who will fall short of the hype. This draft isn't very good at all. A lot of role players from top to bottom. I see like five potential Pro Bowlers (Winston, Gurley, L. Williams, Cooper and Gregory.)

The rest of the guys are either role players or could be stars depending on the systems and how their development goes. Last year had all the talent. You could get someone at 30 last year you wouldn't be able to draft at 10 in this draft.

That's a fair assessment. I disagree but I wouldn't discount the chance you are right.

It will be interesting to see how his NFL team tailors the offense to help him. If it's TB and Lovie Smith and his rotating OC du jour, I genuinely fear he'll be a major flop. Give him a creative, open-minded coach like a Sean Payton or Bill O'Brien and he could be special. I think Mariota has more natural talent than any QB since Luck and he can be a franchise QB for a playoff team. But he's not going to work for everyone.
It's not whether you win or lose, it's how good you look playing the game
King Ken
General Manager
And1: 5,375

Post#8 » by King Ken » Sun Jan 4, 2015 3:12 am

Icness wrote:
King Ken wrote:I think Marcus is a good QB and an elite college QB who has elite tools. Marcus doesn't throw anyone open and he plays that gimmicky offense. He's going to need at least a year or two to sit and learn the game from the NFL level. Anyone saying he's like Russell Wilson is stupid. RW was making NFL throws at NC State when he has a crap supporting cast. His transition will be more notiable than Johnny Manizel who at the least was accurate outside of 15 yards.

That's a fair assessment. I disagree but I wouldn't discount the chance you are right.

It will be interesting to see how his NFL team tailors the offense to help him. If it's TB and Lovie Smith and his rotating OC du jour, I genuinely fear he'll be a major flop. Give him a creative, open-minded coach like a Sean Payton or Bill O'Brien and he could be special. I think Mariota has more natural talent than any QB since Luck and he can be a franchise QB for a playoff team. But he's not going to work for everyone.

I seen a lot of natural talent out of RG3, Cam and Tannehill. Natural talent is great to have but in this league, you will need to learn to operate out of the pocket. I like Winston talent more than Mariota but I like both players. While he is a system player, he is so talented, he is not just stuck to one system. I just wish these QB's got a year to sit and learn. I didn't think Teddy or Luck needed a year but the others do. Jameis could start right now. Marcus can become a very good QB. We all see what Ryan has became this year. Him and Marcus are so talented and both can do damage in the pocket while being cerebral as well. I am a fan of Marcus. Classy kid.
The411
Pro Prospect
And1: 473

Post#9 » by The411 » Wed Jan 21, 2015 12:04 am

Celtsfan1980 wrote:I could way off on this as I don't watch the Raiders play, but I think he'll be a Raider. I expect them to keep their first pick. Teams rarely get chances at good quarterbacks in the draft, so I expect them to take advantage.

Why would they draft Mariota when they really like Carr. The only way they are drafting Marriota is for a draft and trade.
Cammo101
Mr. Mock Draft
And1: 1,765

Post#10 » by Cammo101 » Wed Jan 21, 2015 4:56 pm

Mariota could very well be this year's Geno Smith or Johnny Manziel. The guy that people pumped up because of his college numbers, but when scouts atart breaking down tape he slides to the late first.
Grover
Rookie
And1: 81

Post#11 » by Grover » Wed Feb 11, 2015 1:32 pm

In an extremely week QB class Mariota may be a wild card but he won't get past the Jets at six and should be selected and traded by every team above them unless Tampa is sold on Winston. Expect the Browns and Eagles to be in the mix. The Brown's FO is an idiot and has 12 and 19 in addition to Manziel. The Eagles have the 20th pick and Foles to package as they are just as likely to overpay for Mariota who would have a greater chance of immediate impact in Philadelphia.
Cammo101
Mr. Mock Draft
And1: 1,765

Post#12 » by Cammo101 » Mon Feb 16, 2015 4:01 pm

Grover wrote:In an extremely week QB class Mariota may be a wild card but he won't get past the Jets at six and should be selected and traded by every team above them unless Tampa is sold on Winston. Expect the Browns and Eagles to be in the mix. The Brown's FO is an idiot and has 12 and 19 in addition to Manziel. The Eagles have the 20th pick and Foles to package as they are just as likely to overpay for Mariota who would have a greater chance of immediate impact in Philadelphia.

We hear this every year, and guys always magically still seem to fall. Every year there are more teams in need of a QB than quality QB prospects, yet guys who once had hype still manage to fall every year.

This same exact statement was made about Geno Smith, Johnny Manziel, Aaron Rodgers, and Brady Quinn. For as much as team need QBs, they are also terrified of swinging and missing on one early in the draft.
madmaxmedia
RealGM
And1: 6,691

Post#13 » by madmaxmedia » Mon Apr 27, 2015 4:31 pm

If he fell past #6 or 7, then I would say he would be worth trading up to get if you have no QB. I don't think he's worth trading up to #2 for, given how much picks at the top of the draft are worth.

Mariota won't fall as far as guys like Manziel or Geno Smith, I think he's a better prospect than that (if not a perfect one.)

Return to NFL Draft