Jameis Winston: My Freshman and Soph report on him

Moderator: studcrackers

King Ken
General Manager
And1: 5,375

Post#1 » by King Ken » Fri Jan 2, 2015 1:52 pm

The freshman report was written a year ago. I only watched 4 FSU games then and this year I watched 9 FSU games.

Arm Talent:
This is a mix of arm strength and velocity.

Freshman:
Winston: His arm strength is a tier below elite and is comparable to Donovan McNabb. Like McNabb his velocity is elite. Has some of the best RPM's on his throws. Overall, Winston has special arm talent.

Sophomore: While his arm is very good due to him being able to change velocity depending on the throw, target and distance. He threw the ball with less arm power and his arm strength wasn't as good this year compared to last. It's fair to say, his arm strength is more a tad less than it was last year but when his feet are in the right position, his arm strength is excellent.

Accuracy:

Freshman:
Winston is most comparable to Kurt Warner in terms of accuracy. Rates very good on short, intermediate and deep range. Which is scary good. Part of the reason he is so dominant.

Soph:
His WR's weren't consistently beating coverage and the OL was far more shaky and it made it a lot easier to scout Winston. He struggled getting completions to his right. While I seen games and tape that shows it was more of players not getting to spots or simply dropping the ball. You start to realize that FSU's supporting cast isn't that good especially for a NC contending team. Greene is a reliable WR. Wilson is a decent college WR. Randolph is a solid talent who is average at this point and O'Leary while reliable is just a good college TE. Not very good or special. The OL is very inconsistent although they are in the right position more times than not to succeed. This starts to look like Matt Ryan at BC to a degree where his supporting cast isn't that good but Ryan had a very good OL and Jameis has solid weapons while Ryan had below average ACC weapons. Back to the point, his accuracy looks better on film than on the stat book. He does have the accuracy of a Brady or Peyton. He's more like Phillip Rivers where he is accurate on all levels but not extremely accuracy on any level (short, intermediate or deep).

Pocket Presence/pocket mobility:

FR:
Winston is most comparable to Donovan McNabb. He can throw within the pocket but at times he could do better. Doesn't move extremely well in the pocket and at times can stand in the pocket too long. Because of his size this isn't as much of an issue even at the next level. While he is poised, he isn't quite good at this yet and may never be but it is all about development. He has good pocket mobility mainly due to his speed, size, and his ability to break tackles.

So:
Comparable to Big Ben in the way he take a hit and parpare his body for the hit. Something so many QB's lack that Big Ben tends to excel at as well as Jameis. Improved throwing within the pocket, standing tall in the pocket and doesn't hold the ball too long as he did as a Fr. His pocket mobility is extremely similar to Phillip Rivers. They both then to have the same improvisation at beating the defense with subtle but impactful moves in the pocket. Rivers is one of the best at subtle moves to avoid sacks and Jameis has those same qualities.

Pre Snap and Post Snap Reads:

FR:
Winston pre snap reads are a major work in progress. He doesn't make that many. Maybe because he is a freshman, idk but he doesn't make that many. Whatever the coaches call is normally the play but his team is so great at execution, it's not a huge deal. Post snap is where Jameis is elite. Goes through progressions, doesn't lock into WR's, makes plays if nothing is there. Just an elite player. Pre snap read is similar to rookie Cam Newton at this point but his post snap read is similar to Aaron Rodgers.

So: The one area where we seen tremendous improvement in Jameis. His pre snap reads have greatly improved. Some compare it to Luck and no, he's no Luck but I seen massive improvement in Jameis using pre-snap. With that said, he's just good at it for a college QB and he will need to greatly improve to be very good or great at it in the NFL. His post snap read is still a work of art and his best quality as a QB. While he's not as good at it as Aaron Rodgers as a prospect, he is better than most at it. It will be one of his strengths when transiting to the NFL.

Football IQ:

He is a very intelligent QB who has great mental processing speed, field recognition and overall speed to understand advance concepts makes him special in this variable.

Mobility:

FR:
Winston is most comparable to Donovan McNabb. Tough, Excellent size, good speed, good elusiveness, smart runner, extremely hard to tackle.

So:
He was a lot more mobile last year. Big Ben. Just doesn't bounce off of tackles has easily as Ben does. I think he needs to lose 10-15 pounds.

Toughness/Intangibles:

Winston reminds you of McNair in terms of his country strong and his ability to show no pain ever. He will do whatever it takes physically to win and that shows. Jameis seem to have great intangibles and is a team leader. He can take a major hit.

So:
Nothing has really changed. Great toughness and elite intangibles. In fact, he might have the highest will to win I've seen out of a college QB since Tim Tebow. He is rarefied air.

Maturity:

Fr:
Winston is still young and in some ways, dumb. With that said, he seems to not let it effect him on the field. That's a key trait that Brady, Manning, and Marino have.

So:
The biggest issue about Jameis period is his total lack of maturity and buying into the media negative villain take and running with it. Jameis is a nice kid but that doesn't make him a GOOD kid. He needs to adjust from a kid to a man but needs development in that aspect. This isn't like Johnny who simply doesn't a F.. Jameis does but if you are doing this in college, what are you going to do in the NFL. Jameis seems to learn from his mistakes but he always walks into a new one. I really don't like how close he is to dumb players like Casher and Darby. To me, that's another issue. Jameis has a MENSA mind but wants to hang around street corner types instead of building them up in a personal sense. To me, Jameis lack of maturity is scary. Since I am not white and not a covert white supremacist, I don't have this accused of commit a crime v. someone white he's guilty bigot like mentality. BUT... I do think you should fully think things through. I see former self in Jameis but luckily for me. I didn't have the media zealots following my every move and I didn't associate with people who didn't have my well being in mind and I wasn't easily influenced. With that said, I know what it's like to make a mistake then make another one so smoothly. As the comedian Kevin Hart said, "Jameis, stop doing stupid sh*t."

Size:
Fr:
Winston is 235 and has a wide frame. Looks like McNair and McNabb. Country strong. Big hands. Build like he can take a beaten and still play well. Is seen as an elite QB and Baseball prospect.

So: Size is flabby but still has an excellent frame for a QB. Looks like Big Ben this year.

Overall:
Fr:
Overall, Winston is as good right now as McNabb in his 5th year with more accuracy as a COLLEGE FRESHMAN! Winston will be scary at the NFL level like AD is for the Vikings.

So:
Overall, he is still one of the most impressive talents I've seen in awhile. Not quite the floor I had projected last year but the ceiling remains the same. Best college QB since Andrew Luck and as a freshman, was a better prospect on film but Jameis faced adversity as a sophomore and not having a lot of talent around him will happen in the NFL so it's great he went through it.

Once again, I didn't scout him much as a freshman since I knew he wasn't leaving anyway.
Twolf16
Rookie
And1: 89

Post#2 » by Twolf16 » Mon Jan 5, 2015 7:07 pm

Thanks for the Analysis, good read.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
The411
Pro Prospect
And1: 473

Re: Jameis Winston: My Freshman and Soph report on him 

Post#3 » by The411 » Sat Jan 10, 2015 5:24 am

Goff is a better NFL prospect than Winston.

Return to NFL Draft