Way too early CFP projections 

Post#1 » by JoeBarryCaroll » Mon Jul 20, 2015 7:58 am

Who do you got?

Mine are:

Alabama
USC
TCU
UM

I have USC beating Bama, unfortunately TCU over the Wolverines and then TCU over USC to win the championship.

I think we can give TCU a great, close game but they are tough as nails. TCU probably would have won it all in 14/15 too if Ohio didn't sneak in.

With Jimmy H though you can never count us out!! Can't wait for the season to start!! 6 more weeks.
Icness
NFL Analyst
And1: 129

Re: Way too early CFP projections 

Post#2 » by Icness » Mon Jul 20, 2015 4:51 pm

My top 10, in terms of likeliness to win the championship
1. Ohio State
big gap
2. Baylor
3. Alabama
gap
4. Auburn
5. Clemson
6. TCU
7. LSU
gap
8. USC
9. Virginia Tech
10. Oregon

Considered:
Michigan State
Notre Dame
Arizona
Ole Miss
Arkansas
Georgia Tech

Ohio State has the best team on paper since The U. teams of the early 00s. As many as 9 future 1st round picks on D. And they could have two QBs drafted in the first three rounds...and neither of them might start ahead of Braxton Miller.

TCU is the second-best team but they're conference road schedule is nasty. They quietly lost a lot from the middle of the field on D too.

SEC West is so loaded and so little separation between the teams. Even though I didn't list them here both TAMU and MSU are good enough to beat any other team. Bulldogs lost their entire OL though and that's gonna be a problem with all those awesome defenses.

Hokies are listed because they get a shot at Ohio State in Blacksburg and then shouldn't be threatened until a trip to GT late. They won in Columbus last year and this year they're better. So is tOSU though...

Oregon is always a wild card. I like Vernon Adams at QB and they're so fast but they lost a lot on OL & D. If the kids grow up quickly they're going to wallop the PAC-12.

Non-power five teams to watch:
Cincinnati with Gunner Kiel, a potential 1st round pick at QB and a favorable schedule. BYU game is an issue.

Western Michigan. Second-best team in the state after Sparty. Seriously. They'll give Sparty a real game in the opener in KZoo, which I'll be watching from the press box. They'll score more on Ohio State than most B1G teams too.

Boise State, always dangerous even though this is not close to their best team lately

Utah State could be good if Chuckie Keeton can play a full year. Lots of late-round draft prospects littering the D.

Winner of App St./Georgia Southern game likely to be undefeated in Sun Belt. App. State could/should be 12-1 entering bowl game if they win that one.
It's not whether you win or lose, it's how good you look playing the game
JoeBarryCaroll
Junior
And1: 319

Post#3 » by JoeBarryCaroll » Tue Jul 21, 2015 4:58 am

Oh no...not an "Ohio" fan J/K.

I think Ohio's dearth of QB's becomes the death of them. At some point it has to become controversial and cause division. All it takes is one or two trip-ups.

I'm very surprised you have Baylor ahead of TCU.. I think you even mention TCU is #2 but in your rankings you show Baylor as 2nd..typo?

With regards to Michigan, not sure if serious. I could understand if you have MSU #1 in the state but having UM #3 after Western Michigan..you're trolling me right? :o Seriously, it's definitely going to end up with 1. UM and 2. MSU in the state of Michigan. I can understand if you are skeptical on that but come'on man, no way western is better than UM. No way.! They are even the little brother of little brother.

Other than that our projections are pretty similar.

Hail to the Victors!
OsuCavsfan103
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,047

Post#4 » by OsuCavsfan103 » Tue Jul 21, 2015 5:41 am

JoeBarryCaroll wrote:Who do you got?

Mine are:

Alabama
USC
TCU
UM

I have USC beating Bama, unfortunately TCU over the Wolverines and then TCU over USC to win the championship.

I think we can give TCU a great, close game but they are tough as nails. TCU probably would have won it all in 14/15 too if Ohio didn't sneak in.

With Jimmy H though you can never count us out!! Can't wait for the season to start!! 6 more weeks.

You seriously have scUM in the CFB Playoffs? :o :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: I'm sorry but that's beyond delusional.
JoeBarryCaroll
Junior
And1: 319

Post#5 » by JoeBarryCaroll » Tue Jul 21, 2015 6:32 am

Jimmy Harbaugh, heard of him?
Icness
NFL Analyst
And1: 129

Post#6 » by Icness » Tue Jul 21, 2015 12:18 pm

JoeBarryCaroll wrote:Oh no...not an "Ohio" fan J/K.

I think Ohio's dearth of QB's becomes the death of them. At some point it has to become controversial and cause division. All it takes is one or two trip-ups.

I'm very surprised you have Baylor ahead of TCU.. I think you even mention TCU is #2 but in your rankings you show Baylor as 2nd..typo?

With regards to Michigan, not sure if serious. I could understand if you have MSU #1 in the state but having UM #3 after Western Michigan..you're trolling me right? :o Seriously, it's definitely going to end up with 1. UM and 2. MSU in the state of Michigan. I can understand if you are skeptical on that but come'on man, no way western is better than UM. No way.! They are even the little brother of little brother.

Hail to the Victors!

I'm an odd CFB fan. I'm a proud Ohio Bobcat and MAC pimp. I also vote for just about every award except the Heisman so I have to be fairly objective and national in scope. I grew up loving Ohio State but I strongly dislike Urban Meyer. My wife and her family are all Michigan folks, my late father-in-law was a 6-figure-per-year donor to the UM football program and we still have season tickets in the fat cat section. Hard to hate on that. Two of my cousins played at Florida, another played at Florida State. Have several good friends who played at Middle Tennessee over the years.

Baylor is more likely to win than TCU even though the Frogs are a better team, if that makes sense.

Michigan is going to be interesting this year. The DL and CBs are very good. QB will be better, maybe. The overall game plan and player development will be better. Yet they have serious holes at so many spots. They have one OL who would start for WMU. They don't have a single WR who would start for CMU. They have one LB who would start for my Ohio Bobcats and we're going to be lucky to win 4 games this year. The kicker missed more than he made from 40 yards in the spring practice I was at.

I've got them losing at Utah (they're good) and winning next two. BYU (I'll be at this one) is a tossup. So is Maryland, a team I admittedly don't know enough about yet. Losses to Sparty and at Minnesota. Penn State (I'll be in Happy Valley for this one too) is a tossup. Loss at Ohio State. They could win 8, more likely they win 6 or 7. Get a bowl game against the likes of Rice or the last-place team in the SEC West, they'll probably win that because they'll want it more.
It's not whether you win or lose, it's how good you look playing the game
bondom34
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 50,209

Post#7 » by bondom34 » Sat Jul 25, 2015 7:57 am

Icness wrote:
JoeBarryCaroll wrote:Oh no...not an "Ohio" fan J/K.

Hail to the Victors!

I'm an odd CFB fan. I'm a proud Ohio Bobcat and MAC pimp. I also vote for just about every award except the Heisman so I have to be fairly objective and national in scope. I grew up loving Ohio State but I strongly dislike Urban Meyer. My wife and her family are all Michigan folks, my late father-in-law was a 6-figure-per-year donor to the UM football program and we still have season tickets in the fat cat section. Hard to hate on that. Two of my cousins played at Florida, another played at Florida State. Have several good friends who played at Middle Tennessee over the years.

Baylor is more likely to win than TCU even though the Frogs are a better team, if that makes sense.

Michigan is going to be interesting this year. The DL and CBs are very good. QB will be better, maybe. The overall game plan and player development will be better. Yet they have serious holes at so many spots. They have one OL who would start for WMU. They don't have a single WR who would start for CMU. They have one LB who would start for my Ohio Bobcats and we're going to be lucky to win 4 games this year. The kicker missed more than he made from 40 yards in the spring practice I was at.

I've got them losing at Utah (they're good) and winning next two. BYU (I'll be at this one) is a tossup. So is Maryland, a team I admittedly don't know enough about yet. Losses to Sparty and at Minnesota. Penn State (I'll be in Happy Valley for this one too) is a tossup. Loss at Ohio State. They could win 8, more likely they win 6 or 7. Get a bowl game against the likes of Rice or the last-place team in the SEC West, they'll probably win that because they'll want it more.

Wanna hook a guy up w/ some press seats? :lol:

Man I need the season to start, might get to the Rutgers game, the Meatchicken game should be a good crowd though.
MyUniBroDavis wrote: he was like YALL PEOPLE WHO DOUBT ME WILL SEE YALLS STATS ARE WRONG I HAVE THE BIG BRAIN PLAYS MUCHO NASTY BIG BRAIN BIG CHUNGUS BRAIN YOU BOYS ON UR BBALL REFERENCE NO UNDERSTANDO
El Turco
GOTB Fantasy Basketball Ultimate 2x Champion
And1: 20,560

Post#8 » by El Turco » Wed Jul 29, 2015 6:14 am

osu is the prohibitive favorite could go down as historical team, usc will give em a game in the final though. baylor and lsu round it out.

darkhorse: ucla. 18 starters returning from a solid team

scUM would be lucky to win 7 games, it is going to take more than a year to turn that shipwreck.
TheLowlySquire wrote:Wow, Arda! Huge!

Howard Mass wrote:Arda is not a terrorist. Arda is a good person.
Latrell
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 5,552

Post#9 » by Latrell » Wed Aug 19, 2015 10:03 pm

I know not many care about the ACC but does anyone else think Miami will be the team to beat in that conference?
Latrell
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#10 » by Latrell » Thu Aug 20, 2015 4:43 pm

El Turco wrote:osu is the prohibitive favorite could go down as historical team, usc will give em a game in the final though. baylor and lsu round it out.

scUM would be lucky to win 7 games, it is going to take more than a year to turn that shipwreck.

The Crap 12 will be a little more interesting this year, but USC is gonna need an 2014 Oregon like run to make the final, which I don't see happening because while its still the crap 12, its a bit improved.

LSU i have as the 4th best team in then SEC behind Alabama, Auburn and Georgia.

My 4 is.

1.Alabama
2.Ohio State
3.Auburn
4.Baylor
El Turco
GOTB Fantasy Basketball Ultimate 2x Champion
And1: 20,560

Post#11 » by El Turco » Fri Aug 21, 2015 3:36 pm

Latrell wrote:
El Turco wrote:osu is the prohibitive favorite could go down as historical team, usc will give em a game in the final though. baylor and lsu round it out.

The Crap 12 will be a little more interesting this year, but USC is gonna need an 2014 Oregon like run to make the final, which I don't see happening because while its still the crap 12, its a bit improved.

LSU i have as the 4th best team in then SEC behind Alabama, Auburn and Georgia.

My 4 is.

1.Alabama
2.Ohio State
3.Auburn
4.Baylor

wouldnt mind that top 4, urban meyer owns sec
TheLowlySquire wrote:Wow, Arda! Huge!

Howard Mass wrote:Arda is not a terrorist. Arda is a good person.
Latrell
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#12 » by Latrell » Fri Aug 21, 2015 3:40 pm

Sadly, you're right.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 57,454

Post#13 » by bwgood77 » Fri Aug 21, 2015 5:37 pm

Ohio St
TCU

After that it's a crap shoot...the SEC will be tight as will the PAC12. If anyone can finish with just one loss in those two conferences and win the championship, they will get in. Otherwise it will open the door for someone from the ACC or elsewhere, or maybe even two from the SEC if no team in the PAC12 finishes with only one loss and wins the championship.

I'll say Auburn and Arizona St for **** and giggles since they are my rival.
dice
RealGM
And1: 12,539

Post#14 » by dice » Sat Aug 29, 2015 8:08 pm

well, it's not "way too early" anymore. my prediction is that, unsurprisingly, a 4 team college playoff will once again create quite a mess!

two big 10 teams in final 4:

OSU - sweeps their way into playoffs
penn state - sleeper pick. only loss to OSU, doesn't get rematch in conference title game due to being in same division. playoff committee is stuck holding its nose and picking one loss major conference team with weak schedule that didn't play in its conference title game

every other team in major conferences will have at least 2 losses

2 SEC teams get into final 4 as well. once again, divisions will create a screwy situation due to being so unbalanced talent-wise in SEC:

A&M - sleeper pick #2. only loses to auburn in regular season but then also loses to a 3 loss tennessee club in the SEC title game. will get into final 4 because of the extra game

3 loss conference champion tennessee is then OUT of the final 4, as auburn, miss st. and alabama all with 2 losses in the strongest division ever, alabama having lost on the road to each of the other 2 in the final weeks of the regular season. committee will have tough decision, as 'bama has perhaps toughest schedule in nation and still only two losses despite faltering down the stretch

OSU undefeated national champion. pretty boring, eh?
the donald, always unpopular, did worse in EVERY state in 2020. and by a greater margin in red states! 50 independently-run elections, none of them rigged

Return to NCAA Football