ImageImageImage

Future QB situation and our options

Moderator: bwgood77

DirtyDez
Suns Forum College Scout
And1: 6,310

Future QB situation and our options 

Post#1 » by DirtyDez » Thu Nov 4, 2010 6:28 am

Derek Anderson is a journeyman QB who will never improve. He's a tough kid but his accuracy and decision making is severely flawed. He will most likely be cut this offseason to make room for another QB... Max Hall can be a decent backup in this league once he learns the offense and adjusts to NFL game speed. He's a hard worker who loves the game but just doesn't have an NFL skill set. He will most likely be kept because he's cheap and the coaching staff/players like him.

For the future:

1. Donovan McNabb - On the outs in Washington and it's reported that he will likely test Free Agency this upcoming summer. He has a house in Phoenix and lives here in the offseason. Good buddies with Fitz and A-Dub. He is on the the wrong side of 30 but is a huge upgrade to our current sitaution. Fitz will be a FA after next season and locking up McNabb will give us a better chance of re-signing the Face of the Franchise. Donovan has a great deep ball and is very athletic. McNabb2Fitzfor6 i can see it now!

2. Michael Vick - Having a good year and is also expected to test Free Agency this summer. Lots of off-the-field baggage will turn several teams off but his talent is undeniable. Still an upgrade over what we have but is it worth the risk? He's always had work ethic and conditioning issues and is very inconsistant on the field.

3. Low level FA's - Gradkowski/Losman/Moore

4. Draft a QB:
-Andrew Luck (the best overall QB in the 2011 potential draft class but will probably go top 2-3 overall)

-Ryan Mallet (Huge kid with a big time arm, putting up terrific numbers in the best conference in the country)

- Jake Locker (Pac 10 kid who's struggling this season. Outstanding athlete and playmaker but very inconsistant. Will probably be the likely QB in our draft position)

5. John Skelton - He's our 3rd string QB this year and was decent in the preseason. According to the coaches he wont be ready for another year or two. Huge kid but played at Fordham so it will take him a while to learn the play book and adapt to NFL defenses. My ideal scenario would be getting McNabb for 2-3 years until Skelton is fully developed and ready to take over.
fromthetop321 wrote:I got Lebron number 1, he is also leading defensive player of the year. Curry's game still reminds me of Jeremy Lin to much.
Mr. Sun
General Manager
And1: 0

Re: Future QB situation and our options 

Post#2 » by Mr. Sun » Fri Nov 5, 2010 1:00 am

Not ready to give up on Hall just yet. Lot of other variables to consider that affects a QB, especially a rookie QB. MacNabb or any other probably wouldn't been any better then Hall with the the O line performance and play calling.

Looks like Kent Somers is withdrawing his critisim of Hall over his first turnover:

Bulltalker: "Hall's first int was his fault. Beanie blocked the inside blitz, Hall held onto the ball to long and got crushed by the outsie blitzer. Hall should've thrown to the hot receiver sooner."

I'm sorry but the replay refutes that. The real blitz passed in front of Beanie and that should instantly been his block. Whiz won't convince anyone it was Hall's fault with the indisputable evidence of slow replay.

Hall took only three steps back and released. The fault was Beanie missing the rusher in front of him. The whole play was poorly executed giving no QB any chance of getting rid of the ball fast enough.

Kent Somers: bulltalker: Looking at the game again, I tend to side with you. Whisenhunt said Hall needed to pick up his hot receiver sooner and that Beanie blocked the right guy.
DirtyDez
Suns Forum College Scout

Post#3 » by DirtyDez » Fri Nov 5, 2010 9:46 am

Mr. Sun wrote:MacNabb or any other probably wouldn't been any better then Hall with the the O line performance and play calling.

The O-line was bad last season but we had an elite QB who made them look good. Hall/Anderson can't read the field and defenses know it. When they break down the tape you can see the terrible throws before they happen. We need a real QB like McNabb badly to open up the defense. I don't have any confidence in either one of our QB's to anticipate routes and make accurate throws.
fromthetop321 wrote:I got Lebron number 1, he is also leading defensive player of the year. Curry's game still reminds me of Jeremy Lin to much.
Mr. Sun
General Manager
And1: 0

Post#4 » by Mr. Sun » Sun Nov 7, 2010 3:24 am

DirtyDez wrote:
Mr. Sun wrote:MacNabb or any other probably wouldn't been any better then Hall with the the O line performance and play calling.

The O-line was bad last season but we had an elite QB who made them look good. Hall/Anderson can't read the field and defenses know it. When they break down the tape you can see the terrible throws before they happen. We need a real QB like McNabb badly to open up the defense. I don't have any confidence in either one of our QB's to anticipate routes and make accurate throws.

He was elite with Todd Haley calling calls and the O-line doing its job, otherwise he had terrible games too. He had 3 interceptions in the Tgiving game last year.
jman3134
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 1,308

Post#5 » by jman3134 » Mon Nov 8, 2010 5:02 am

I am fed up with our QB situation already. DA could not even get a freaking throw off. He must have been sacked for three consecutive plays.

To top it all off, we have the same defense as we previously had- one that relies heavily on picks for change of possession.
DirtyDez
Suns Forum College Scout

Post#6 » by DirtyDez » Mon Nov 8, 2010 5:32 am

jlove_26
Sixth Man
And1: 12

Post#7 » by jlove_26 » Mon Nov 8, 2010 6:54 pm

Let me preface this with the fact that I've been an Eagles fan since '82 and have been a huge McNabb fan. Over the last 5-7 years, I've become more favorable to my home town Cardinals (I've always supported the Cardinals since they came here in '88). Personally, I'd prefer to go after Vick. His off field issues have been an issue of past since he joined the Eagles. He's younger and I think would help Beanie and Tim more with his threat of running the ball. He's got great arm strength and accuracy for the deep ball as well. I love McNabb, and he himself said right before he was traded to Washington that he'd love to QB the Cards, especially since he makes this his offseason home. I knew as soon as McNabb turned away talks of an extension with Washington that we'd have a HUGE up in getting him to sign here this summer. I would go after Vick first, but if he waivers on here or turns us down, quickly go to Plan B and McNabb. Other than that, I don't think there is another QB in the league that would be available that is better than our current QB's. I was all for waiving Leinart and still stand behind the decision. I think we have 2 QB's of the future, but are both at least a year or two before they're ready to be starters.
meza
Ballboy
And1: 1

Post#8 » by meza » Sat Dec 10, 2011 5:47 pm

He had a few bad calls, everyone has those!

Return to Arizona Cardinals