Image Image Image Image

Cubs Media Thread (News, Notes, Injuries, and more!)

2poor
RealGM
And1: 0
Location: I'm from the city in the midwest best city in the whole wide wide world

Cubs Media Thread (News, Notes, Injuries, and more!) 

Post#1 » by 2poor » Thu Apr 5, 2007 2:03 pm

Cubs Media Thread, updated often.

Feel free to add any articles, miscellaneous notes, videos, etc.

You can count on me at least to keep the articles from local Chicago media outlets pouring in.
2poor
RealGM
Location: I'm from the city in the midwest best city in the whole wide wide world

Post#2 » by 2poor » Thu Apr 5, 2007 2:05 pm

Paul Sullivan - Chicagosports.com wrote:Carlos Zambrano spent as much time blaming plate umpire Randy Marsh for Monday's subpar performance as he did blaming himself.

Manager Lou Piniella said Saturday he liked the fact that Zambrano wears his emotions on his sleeve, suggesting it was "probably one of the ingredients that makes him successful."

Asked Wednesday whether Zambrano's emotions got the best of him during the game, Piniella said it was too early to make any snap judgments.

Piniella: Control, not ump, hurts Zambrano
2poor
RealGM

Post#3 » by 2poor » Thu Apr 5, 2007 2:07 pm

Greg Couch - Chicago Sun-Times wrote:So that makes one. One win for Chicago's baseball teams. One win for Cubs manager Lou Piniella, his first since returning to the game -- ''It's been a lot of time in between wins.''

And only one Chicago pitcher has a win now: Theodore Roosevelt Lilly. (No, I didn't make that up.)

Wasn't Ted Lilly supposed to be the symbol of all evil? Did he justify his $40 million contract in Wednesday's 4-1 victory over Cincinnati?

Good sign from a good signing

Gordon Wittenmeyer - Chicago Sun-Times wrote:So Ted Lilly was supposed to be a fly-ball pitcher and a nibbler. And he was sick?

Try telling that to the Cincinnati Reds. The Cubs left-hander shook off an inner-ear infection, then turned the Reds' bats anemic in a dazzling performance that ushered the new-era Cubs into the win column with a 4-1 victory Wednesday night at Great American Ball Park.

''Let's hope [Jason] Marquis is just as sick tomorrow,'' manager Lou Piniella said.

Lilly pounded the strike zone for nine strikeouts in seven innings and kept the ball in the infield until the fifth. Only two of his 21 outs came on fly balls to the outfield.

In complete command

(there are several more, so I'll just provide links)

Lilly's command does trick in debut

Lilly pitches Cubs past Reds

Lilly gives himself, Piniella first wins with Cubs

Lilly: no valleys in debut
GYBE
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 358

Post#4 » by GYBE » Thu Apr 5, 2007 2:11 pm

Not a bad idea at all. Maybe we can use this thread for all other Cubs media as well? News and articles of course, but also any Youtube videos or sound clips and whatnot. Kind of a miscellaneous thread with all the recent Cubs articles and videos to keep people informed and up to date.

8)
2poor
RealGM

Post#5 » by 2poor » Thu Apr 5, 2007 2:12 pm

Bruce Miles - Daily Herald wrote:The Cubs had to term it something, so they came up with
2poor
RealGM

Post#6 » by 2poor » Thu Apr 5, 2007 2:20 pm

Neil Hayes - Chicago Sun-Times wrote:Former Phoenix Suns and Arizona Diamondbacks owner Jerry Colangelo reiterated his interest in buying the Cubs during a radio interview Wednesday and said he plans to meet with new Tribune Co. owner Sam Zell when Colangelo visits Chicago next week.

''I'm planning to meet with Sam Zell and get acquainted,'' Colangelo said. ''We've never met before. I know quite a bit about him. He's been very, very successful, and I think it's appropriate to at least start my process in terms of getting to know him a little bit.''

Colangelo addressed numerous topics related to the Cubs' sale during a wide-ranging interview on WSCR-AM (670), including the possibility that Wrigley Field might not be included in a deal for the Cubs and the long-term viability of a 93-year-old ballpark that has become as much a part of Cubs lore as the team itself.

Colangelo wasting no time
SuperDeluxe
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 20,869

Post#7 » by SuperDeluxe » Thu Apr 5, 2007 11:30 pm

[size=150]IMPORTANT NOTE ABOUT QUOTING ARTICLES: Please keep all quotes down to two paragraphs
2poor
RealGM

Post#8 » by 2poor » Fri Apr 6, 2007 1:43 pm

Chris DeLuca - Chicago Sun-Times wrote:Each day, more potential ownership groups vying for the Cubs come together, dreaming the big dream. The process will continue for weeks as more millionaires believe they possess the magic to rescue the franchise. One common denominator among several of the starry-eyed groups is a name familiar to Cubs fans.

Imagine Steve Stone making a splashy return to the North Side. It turns out, many potential investors already have.

''Since the announcement that the Cubs were going to be sold and they were in play,'' Stone said Thursday from his downtown condo, ''my cell-phone minutes have gone up substantially.''

'Stone Hot' Steve gets rung up

Rick Morrissey - Chicagosports.com wrote:There seems to be a presumption around town that most everybody will get behind Jerry Colangelo's bid to put together a group to buy the Cubs.

Good guy. Chicago Heights native. Former University of Illinois basketball player. Strong Chicago ties. Has a World Series ring. You know, real bona fides.

Presumptions have a terrible habit of being presumptuous.

This might be a good time for a history lesson.

Cubs fans, beware of Colangelo's past

Neil Hayes - Chicago Sun-Times wrote:Wolves owner Don Levin has confirmed his interest in buying the Cubs. The lifelong Chicagoan, who just returned from a business trip to Australia, said owning the team would be the first step toward fulfilling his dream.

''My dream would be to be sitting in a box across from Jerry Reinsdorf playing a World Series game against the White Sox,'' Levin said. ''That's how interested I am. I would love to do that.''

Levin bought the Wolves in 1994. The team has made 12 playoff appearances in the International and American hockey leagues, reaching the finals five times and winning three championships.

Wolves owner Levin has strong interest in Cubs
SportsWorld
RealGM
And1: 133

Post#9 » by SportsWorld » Fri Apr 6, 2007 8:46 pm

Yeah front page of the Sun Times:
Steve Stone wants to be one of the candidates for owner of the Cubs.
Posey H8er
RealGM
And1: 64

Post#10 » by Posey H8er » Fri Apr 6, 2007 9:11 pm

SuperDeluxe wrote:[size=150]IMPORTANT NOTE ABOUT QUOTING ARTICLES: Please keep all quotes down to two paragraphs
SportsWorld
RealGM

Post#11 » by SportsWorld » Fri Apr 6, 2007 9:16 pm

Posey H8er wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

Just wondering, what consequences could happen?

I would think if that article company found out they could end up suing RealGM.
All I know is it is not good so try to avoid it like I will.
SportsWorld
RealGM

Post#12 » by SportsWorld » Sun Apr 8, 2007 5:42 am

Here is some great sites to find info on the Cubs: (Hopefully I find more later)
Chicago Sun-Times
Chicago Tribune
Daily Herald
Daily Southtown
Bleed Cubbie Blue Blog
Cubs.com
SportsWorld
RealGM

Post#13 » by SportsWorld » Mon Apr 9, 2007 3:42 am

Zambrano Stokes Brewers/Cubs Rivalry
MILWAUKEE -- Cubs pitcher Carlos Zambrano might want to be careful the next time he faces the Milwaukee Brewers.

Zambrano was asked to compare his emotions on Opening Day when he started for the Cubs against the Cincinnati Reds to his emotions on Saturday against the Brewers. Zambrano lost the season opener, but beat the Brewers, giving up three runs on five hits over seven innings.

"I think it's a different ballclub," Zambrano said after Saturday's game. "I think Cincinnati has better hitters than Milwaukee. I'm not saying the Milwaukee Brewers are nothing, but the offense of the Cincinnati Reds is better and there's no room for mistakes.
Posey H8er
RealGM
And1: 64

Post#14 » by Posey H8er » Mon Apr 9, 2007 3:45 am

^ Well, he's right.
SportsWorld
RealGM

Post#15 » by SportsWorld » Mon Apr 9, 2007 4:22 am

Yeah I know. Why is Estrada going off? He sucks at hitting.
SportsWorld
RealGM

Post#16 » by SportsWorld » Tue Apr 10, 2007 5:38 am

Cubs look to Piniella for title dreams
http://chicago.cubs.mlb.com/news/articl ... &fext=.jsp
CHICAGO -- The question on everyone's chapped lips is straightforward and simple, and yet, in it's own way, ageless: Is Lou Piniella the man who will finally lead the Chicago Cubs out of the wilderness into baseball's promised land? Is he the one who will be at the helm when the Cubs break what has become a 99-year World Series championship drought?

The home opener on the North Side opened with Monday morning snow flurries, then settled into a sincerely cold, yet not quite bone-chilling experience. But the 41,388 patrons of the game at Wrigley Field, people whose patience and devotion have been tested beyond the normal mortal limits, got nothing out of the opener that would warm the soul.
SportsWorld
RealGM

Post#17 » by SportsWorld » Tue Apr 10, 2007 10:20 pm

I thought this should be mentioned for our spainish speaking Cub fans :roll:
Go to www.loscubs.com for a Spanish version of the site.
2poor
RealGM

Post#18 » by 2poor » Wed Apr 11, 2007 1:07 pm

Richard Sandomir - NY Times wrote:Thomas Begel badly wants to buy the Cubs, and in his seat behind home plate at Wrigley Field on Monday, he offered a wealthy fan
2poor
RealGM

Post#19 » by 2poor » Wed Apr 11, 2007 4:58 pm

Gordon Wittenmeyer - Chicago Sun-Times wrote:Apparently, $300 million doesn't buy what it used to.

A week of Cubs games might not be proof of that, but it sure is making a strong suggestion, especially the last two days at Wrigley Field.

The latest example came Tuesday, when rookie starter Chris Sampson and an unsettled Houston Astros bullpen took a combined three-hit shutout into the ninth inning before a too-little-too-late Cubs rally made it a 4-2 loss.

Lumber in deep slumber
SportsWorld
RealGM

Post#20 » by SportsWorld » Thu Apr 12, 2007 4:51 am

Zambrano Remains In Limbo
Chicago Sun-Times - Cubs' president John McDonough still would not clarify the issues holding up the process of Carlos Zambrano's contract negotiations, nor say how concerned the organization is about possibly losing Zambrano because of the delay.

''We're not jumping to any conclusions whatsoever,'' McDonough said Tuesday. ''Anything right now is just speculation. There's a process that needs to take place. That process will play itself out, period.''

Until the sale of Tribune Co. was announced on Opening Day, general manager Jim Hendry and Zambrano's agent, Barry Praver, were closing in on a five-year extension believed to be worth $80 million to $85 million

Return to Chicago Cubs