Re: Around the NBA 

Post#821 » by GSForever » Fri Mar 16, 2012 2:09 am

Im afraid management will allow him to play with his fractured ankles
EvanZ
RealGM
And1: 3,220

Post#822 » by EvanZ » Fri Mar 16, 2012 2:26 am

Twinkie defense wrote:Everyone was so big on Nene but he is really not so different from Lee. Bogut is a much better fit here.

Nene is really good. Watch the Wizards get quite a bit better replacing McGee with him.
I was right about 3 point shooting. I expect to be right about Tacko Fall. Some coach will figure out how to use Tacko Fall. This movement towards undersized centers will sweep ng back. Back to the basket scorers will return to the NBA.
floppymoose
Senior Mod - Warriors
Senior Mod - Warriors
And1: 15,798

Post#823 » by floppymoose » Fri Mar 16, 2012 3:04 am

EvanZ wrote:Nene is really good.

But not this year, it seems. I haven't seen him this year, but the Denver fans were not liking what they saw and the statistical evidence wasn't too pretty either. Not sure what went wrong.
BROWN
RealGM
And1: 74

Post#824 » by BROWN » Fri Mar 16, 2012 3:06 am

Nene got paid, boy has been playing some really bad basketball this year, glad we passed on him in.
EvanZ
RealGM
And1: 3,220

Post#825 » by EvanZ » Fri Mar 16, 2012 3:48 am

His usage went up from 18 to 22% and his efficiency dropped 50 points. Not too surprising without Melo this season. The other players have to take more shots. That will most likely happen here too without Monta.
I was right about 3 point shooting. I expect to be right about Tacko Fall. Some coach will figure out how to use Tacko Fall. This movement towards undersized centers will sweep ng back. Back to the basket scorers will return to the NBA.
shazam_guy
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,136

Post#826 » by shazam_guy » Fri Mar 16, 2012 6:23 am

If Curry can play, I really don't think we'll have a problem. Klay Thompson will be able to score points in bunches, like Curry does, just because of that great shot. Both of them are fully capable of hitting several jumpers in a row like Monta did. I suspect that between the two of them they'll make up Monta's percentage pretty quickly -- three to six points more from Curry, and enough from Klay as a starter to be pretty darn close to gaining back Monta's 20+ if not surpassing it in a year or so. I'm really liking Thompson's game-to-game improvement.
Sleepy51
Forum Mod - Warriors
Forum Mod - Warriors
And1: 2,321

Post#827 » by Sleepy51 » Fri Mar 16, 2012 12:50 pm

shazam_guy wrote:If Curry can play, I really don't think we'll have a problem. Klay Thompson will be able to score points in bunches, like Curry does, just because of that great shot. Both of them are fully capable of hitting several jumpers in a row like Monta did. I suspect that between the two of them they'll make up Monta's percentage pretty quickly -- three to six points more from Curry, and enough from Klay as a starter to be pretty darn close to gaining back Monta's 20+ if not surpassing it in a year or so. I'm really liking Thompson's game-to-game improvement.

Bogut was a great acquisition for this type of backcourt. We really do have a similar structure to the Price/Daugherty Cavs. Bogut is not the post scorer that Brad was, but he can score in the block and at his size can command doubleteam and help defensive attention there. Even though we do not have a guard who can reliably initiate offense againt a set halfcourt defense, we now have a great passer who is a legitimate post up threat to get the ball rolling in the half court. Being able to make the defense respect a post entry pass will be how we can break down set halfcourt defense. Both Klay and Curry moving without the ball will create targets for ball movement and open looks that they don't have to force by trying to do it all off the dribble.

This also relieves Curry of some of the higher athletic demands of playing as a ball dominant PG. The biggest question mark I see going forward is how much of Curry's defense at the initial point of attack will be compromised by protecting his ankle, and how much of a compromise there can we accept.
Jester_ wrote:Can we trade Draymond Green for Grayson Allen?
MightyReds2020
Analyst
And1: 12

Post#828 » by MightyReds2020 » Fri Mar 16, 2012 4:44 pm

For a more recent sample, I think we have a similar squad to that of Memphis'. Not entirely the same, but similarly built.

Bogut and Lee occupy the post like Gasol and Randolph do. Curry provides floor leadership like Conley though both are not what you'd called a natural floor general, but they can be effective. Klay takes over Rudy Gay's scorer role. We'd need a defensive stopper ala Tony Allen although we already have one in the form of Dominic McGuire, though he's not starting. I'm actually willing to give Wright another look given that his skillset should fit better as the 5th best guy on the floor offensively.
BW32
Lead Assistant
And1: 761

Post#829 » by BW32 » Fri Mar 16, 2012 5:51 pm

Gasol and ZBO bully people David Lee couldn't bully anyone if he played in the WNBA.
MightyReds2020
Analyst

Post#830 » by MightyReds2020 » Fri Mar 16, 2012 7:32 pm

BW32 wrote:Gasol and ZBO bully people David Lee couldn't bully anyone if he played in the WNBA.

That's why I said they are similar, but not entirely the same. They are similar in the fact that both front-court can pass and score, regardless of methods, pretty effectively and opponents have to account for them, which will open up 3-point shooters and slashers.
marthafokker
General Manager
And1: 830

Post#831 » by marthafokker » Fri Mar 16, 2012 7:45 pm

But DLee is not the BlackHole that ZBo is famous for.
TB wrote:
We finally have a team for Nellie.... bring the old drunk back.
MightyReds2020
Analyst

Post#832 » by MightyReds2020 » Fri Mar 16, 2012 9:45 pm

But ZBo hasn't played like a Blackhole since 2 seasons ago. Really...
Jester_
General Manager
And1: 1,047

Post#833 » by Jester_ » Sat Mar 17, 2012 2:13 am

GQ Hot Dog wrote:Kerr has done more with the least talent available of any coach in the history of the game.
migya
Head Coach
And1: 1,336

Post#834 » by migya » Sat Mar 17, 2012 4:53 am

MightyReds2020 wrote:For a more recent sample, I think we have a similar squad to that of Memphis'. Not entirely the same, but similarly built.

Bogut and Lee occupy the post like Gasol and Randolph do. Curry provides floor leadership like Conley though both are not what you'd called a natural floor general, but they can be effective. Klay takes over Rudy Gay's scorer role. We'd need a defensive stopper ala Tony Allen although we already have one in the form of Dominic McGuire, though he's not starting. I'm actually willing to give Wright another look given that his skillset should fit better as the 5th best guy on the floor offensively.

Good comparison. Not many people would see the Grizz as real contenders and you look at their roster, it looks better than the Warriors, though not by much. I see MGasol and Bogut as close to the same thing. ZRand is better than Lee, tougher, more aggressive and more effective right now. Gay is unmatched by anyone on our team, Conley is not worse than Cuury right now, but looks like he has reaches his potential and won't get any better, Curry could be better. Mayo, though playing off their bench, is as good a shooter as Klay and they have TAllen who is a very good defending SG. Their bench is alot like ours.

The team has improved, but more moves are needed to make them a real contedner, as this comparison with the Grizz shows.
Jester_
General Manager

Post#835 » by Jester_ » Sat Mar 17, 2012 3:02 pm

Anyone know a place to check out advanced stats on a game by game basis?
GQ Hot Dog wrote:Kerr has done more with the least talent available of any coach in the history of the game.
Jester_
General Manager

Post#836 » by Jester_ » Sat Mar 17, 2012 3:05 pm

migya wrote:
MightyReds2020 wrote:For a more recent sample, I think we have a similar squad to that of Memphis'. Not entirely the same, but similarly built.

Good comparison. Not many people would see the Grizz as real contenders and you look at their roster, it looks better than the Warriors, though not by much. I see MGasol and Bogut as close to the same thing. ZRand is better than Lee, tougher, more aggressive and more effective right now. Gay is unmatched by anyone on our team, Conley is not worse than Cuury right now, but looks like he has reaches his potential and won't get any better, Curry could be better. Mayo, though playing off their bench, is as good a shooter as Klay and they have TAllen who is a very good defending SG. Their bench is alot like ours.

The team has improved, but more moves are needed to make them a real contedner, as this comparison with the Grizz shows.

I agree with you to an extent. Gasol and Bogut are not close to the same thing. Bogut is a league above Gasol if he's healthy. Gasol is a great interior presence, but Bogut is a legitimate defensive anchor ala Tim Duncan, KG, Dwight Howard. With him, Bucks were a top 5 defensive team at one point, without him, they're in the 15-20 range. Not saying Gasol isn't a stalwart defender, but he isn't as intimidating down in the block as Bogut.

The main difference between Memphis and us, is that we have offense -- the one thing that's stopping Memphis from contending. They're a great defensive team, but they're horrendous offensively. We're easily going to be a top 5 offensive team with a healthy Bogut and Curry. And we're likely going to be a top 10 defensive team with Bogut. We've got weapons like Klay, Rush even Nate to supplement the highly efficient 20 a game we'll be getting from Lee and Curry.

I agree, we're a few pieces away from a championship team but.. we're very close. Health is the main concern right now. Our current roster with no changes, while healthy, is a genuine WCF threat imo. And the best part of our team, compared to the Grizz for instance, is how young it is. Lee and Bogut are the oldest guys on our core, and they're both 27 -- just entering their prime. Our most promising two players are both 23 and under.

We also have a great chance at picking up a fantastic talent this year (for perspectives sakes, if Klay were to declare this year, he'd probably be picked up in the ~20 range... we can easily trade up for a pick at that level). All we need them is the messiah West to work his magic and get us a great talent.
avocado_roll
Junior
And1: 4

Post#837 » by avocado_roll » Sat Mar 17, 2012 10:58 pm

Jester_ wrote:Anyone know a place to check out advanced stats on a game by game basis?

hoopdata.com maybe? For example: http://www.hoopdata.com/boxscore.aspx?id=320316009
migya
Head Coach
And1: 1,336

Post#838 » by migya » Sun Mar 18, 2012 10:56 am

Jester_ wrote:
migya wrote:

I agree with you to an extent. Gasol and Bogut are not close to the same thing. Bogut is a league above Gasol if he's healthy. Gasol is a great interior presence, but Bogut is a legitimate defensive anchor ala Tim Duncan, KG, Dwight Howard. With him, Bucks were a top 5 defensive team at one point, without him, they're in the 15-20 range. Not saying Gasol isn't a stalwart defender, but he isn't as intimidating down in the block as Bogut.

The main difference between Memphis and us, is that we have offense -- the one thing that's stopping Memphis from contending. They're a great defensive team, but they're horrendous offensively. We're easily going to be a top 5 offensive team with a healthy Bogut and Curry. And we're likely going to be a top 10 defensive team with Bogut. We've got weapons like Klay, Rush even Nate to supplement the highly efficient 20 a game we'll be getting from Lee and Curry.

I agree, we're a few pieces away from a championship team but.. we're very close. Health is the main concern right now. Our current roster with no changes, while healthy, is a genuine WCF threat imo. And the best part of our team, compared to the Grizz for instance, is how young it is. Lee and Bogut are the oldest guys on our core, and they're both 27 -- just entering their prime. Our most promising two players are both 23 and under.

We also have a great chance at picking up a fantastic talent this year (for perspectives sakes, if Klay were to declare this year, he'd probably be picked up in the ~20 range... we can easily trade up for a pick at that level). All we need them is the messiah West to work his magic and get us a great talent.

I think MGasol has shown what a real good defender he is and I don't think he is less than Bogut, though he will only get better at both ends where Bogut I think won't. Both very good centers, but I'd rather have MGasol, as he is younger and hasn't had the injuries Bogut has. Real happy we have Bogut though.

I don't see Memphis not being a good scoring team. They have ZRand, MGasol and Gay, that's three very good scorers. Mayo can score pretty well, but yea, after those four, not much offensively, they'll have to address that if they want to be true contenders. I do see the Warriors as quite a bit better offensively, though as things have changed with the roster, not set for next season and some players might be gone. The guards here are what gets the offense going alot, but we'll see what happens starting next season, with how the offense runs, whether through one of the bigs alot more or not. I do expect the offense to be less and slower, now having Bogut, but still should be among the best in the nba.
Twinkie defense
RealGM
And1: 1,082

Post#839 » by Twinkie defense » Mon Mar 19, 2012 7:10 pm

So, Derick Fisher can't play for Houston but he wants to play for Oklahoma City, Chicago, or Miami. I guess he spent those 72 hours researching hospitals around the country and found them to have the best care for his daughter's eye problems.
Twinkie defense
RealGM
And1: 1,082

Post#840 » by Twinkie defense » Mon Mar 19, 2012 7:11 pm

And PS when is it again that Wilson Chandler is gonna arrive in GS on the MLE? :lol:

Return to Golden State Warriors