ImageImageImageImageImage

[MERGED] Klay Thompson

Moderators: Chris Porter's Hair, floppymoose, Sleepy51

a8bil
Analyst
And1: 1,674

Re: [MERGED] Klay Thompson 

Post#561 » by a8bil » Wed Aug 27, 2014 10:02 pm

GSWhoopfan wrote:Livingston will be playing with Steph a lot. I don't believe a majority of his minutes will be without Steph on the court. He's going to allow Steph to play off the ball.

Maybe I'm overhyping Steph...but I'm the campaign manager for Steph for MVP.

Okay....I'll canvas the neighborhood. :lol:
Twinkie defense
RealGM
And1: 1,082

Post#562 » by Twinkie defense » Wed Aug 27, 2014 10:15 pm

GSWhoopfan wrote:Very little of Klays offensive is created by himself.

Who cares? Klay is long and has a beautiful, quick release. If you're loading balls into the JUGS machine and it's instantly spitting out perfect, fast spirals that exactly hit their target every time, who's creating the shot - you or the machine? The machine.

By obsessing about "shot creation" you seem to be expressing a bias for players who are going it alone, dribbling around. That's bad basketball. The offensive schemes, with players in motion, cutting, moving without the ball, with willing passers and a lot of ball movement, that is what will be creating open looks for Klay. And for Steph. I don't want Klay to be putting the ball on the floor too much, I want him to be using his brilliant stroke, raining down threes from all areas of the perimeter.
NuWarriors
Lead Assistant
And1: 715

Post#563 » by NuWarriors » Wed Aug 27, 2014 10:34 pm

Twinkie defense wrote:

Who cares? Klay is long and has a beautiful, quick release. If you're loading balls into the JUGS machine and it's instantly spitting out perfect, fast spirals that exactly hit their target every time, who's creating the shot - you or the machine? The machine.

By obsessing about "shot creation" you seem to be expressing a bias for players who are going it alone, dribbling around. That's bad basketball. The offensive schemes, with players in motion, cutting, moving without the ball, with willing passers and a lot of ball movement, that is what will be creating open looks for Klay. And for Steph. I don't want Klay to be putting the ball on the floor too much, I want him to be using his brilliant stroke, raining down threes from all areas of the perimeter.

That's just it. I think people are mistaking individual offense with creating your own offense. Klay creates his own offense by running off of screens, getting space from his defender and getting himself open to get off a good shot. Just because a shot is assisted does't mean he didn't create the shot. Klay can't/doesn't create off the dribble doesn't mean he's not creating his own offense. Nobody expects or should expect him to create offense for others. He's a sniper, we want HIM to be shooting. Reggie Miller wasn't expected to create offense for others or to dribble drive, that wasn't using him to his strengths.

Sounds more like someone is pining for Monta.
ILOVEIT
RealGM
And1: 3,404

Post#564 » by ILOVEIT » Wed Aug 27, 2014 10:48 pm

GSWhoopfan wrote:Livingston will be playing with Steph a lot. I don't believe a majority of his minutes will be without Steph on the court. He's going to allow Steph to play off the ball.

It would take a HUGE regular season for Steph to make MVP.

As for Andre....when HEALTHY he showed some brilliant passing and finishing skills....

IF he comes out and has a hammy pull :banghead:
2021/22 - The return of the Ring.
statsman
Analyst
And1: 438

Post#565 » by statsman » Wed Aug 27, 2014 11:11 pm

ILOVEIT wrote:As for Andre....when HEALTHY he showed some brilliant passing and finishing skills....

I would worry more about the knees than the hamstrings. Already having to deal with that this offseason.
GSWhoopfan
Head Coach
And1: 67

Post#566 » by GSWhoopfan » Wed Aug 27, 2014 11:57 pm

Twinkie defense wrote:

If you need to generate offense in your own...not every play...then you should be able to. He's a player that depends on others capabilities.

You don't think it would be nice if Klay got into the lane and kicked it out to Steph 4 times a game or more?
Lets Go Baron Davis...i dont care what jersey you put on. Lets go.
Big Smooth is focused and ready to handle the centers of the league.
Curry and Ellis will be a top 5 back court this season. 6/25/2010
GSWhoopfan
Head Coach
And1: 67

Post#567 » by GSWhoopfan » Thu Aug 28, 2014 12:12 am

ILOVEIT wrote:

It would take a HUGE regular season for Steph to make MVP.

As for Andre....when HEALTHY he showed some brilliant passing and finishing skills....

I beg to differ. The thing about Steph is he doesn't work as hard as his other MVP competitors as he really doesn't play defense but defense is no longer an MVP factor. He played remarkable last season but I don't think he played anywhere near his maximum capabilities.
Lets Go Baron Davis...i dont care what jersey you put on. Lets go.
Big Smooth is focused and ready to handle the centers of the league.
Curry and Ellis will be a top 5 back court this season. 6/25/2010
JimmyTD3
Banned User
And1: 1,640

Post#568 » by JimmyTD3 » Thu Aug 28, 2014 12:22 am

GSWhoopfan wrote:
Twinkie defense wrote:

If you need to generate offense in your own...not every play...then you should be able to. He's a player that depends on others capabilities.

You don't think it would be nice if Klay got into the lane and kicked it out to Steph 4 times a game or more?

On the best teams (Championship teams), players have very clearly defined roles, and they kick ass in those roles. Period.

On mediocre and bad teams (Jazz), you have guys like Hayward playing way outside of their capabilities, away from their strengths, and your result is predictably garbage.

COULD Klay be our primary ball handler, drive, and average 5 assists per game? Yeah. But it'd make us a worse team and he'd suck at it, like Hayward.

Put Gordon on a team with a decent PG, he's a poor man's Klay Thompson averaging 3 APG.

You talk about Klay being a role player as if it's a bad thing when it's actually a good thing. You're arguing against yourself.
a8bil
Analyst
And1: 1,674

Post#569 » by a8bil » Sat Sep 13, 2014 11:38 pm

Just whiled away a few minutes going over the early posts in this thread...awesome. It is funny to read the real time evaluations posters had on Klay when he started and as he progressed--some very prescient, some not so. Same for Curry and Lee...I can say one thing: they each engendered strong opinions.
LilLeeroy
Senior
And1: 287

Post#570 » by LilLeeroy » Sun Sep 14, 2014 12:36 am

Stringcheese wrote:
GSWhoopfan wrote:
Twinkie defense wrote:Who cares? Klay is long and has a beautiful, quick release. If you're loading balls into the JUGS machine and it's instantly spitting out perfect, fast spirals that exactly hit their target every time, who's creating the shot - you or the machine? The machine.

On the best teams (Championship teams), players have very clearly defined roles, and they kick ass in those roles. Period.

On mediocre and bad teams (Jazz), you have guys like Hayward playing way outside of their capabilities, away from their strengths, and your result is predictably garbage.

COULD Klay be our primary ball handler, drive, and average 5 assists per game? Yeah. But it'd make us a worse team and he'd suck at it, like Hayward.

Put Gordon on a team with a decent PG, he's a poor man's Klay Thompson averaging 3 APG.

You talk about Klay being a role player as if it's a bad thing when it's actually a good thing. You're arguing against yourself.

I think that was his point, Klay is a limited player. Being a limited player is worse than being a player who can do multiple things well.
turk3d
RealGM
And1: 1,277

Post#571 » by turk3d » Sun Sep 14, 2014 1:44 am

I think Klay has been showing us (as of late) that he's not so limited (one dimensional) and has more skills (other than just shooting) than most people thought (including me) when he first came up to this team. I think that he may realize this and might be trying to prove us all wrong and is doing a pretty good job of it in my book. :wink:
Draymond Green: Exemplifies Warrior Leadership, Hustle, Desire, Versatility, Toughness, fearlessness, Grit, Heart,Team Spirit, Sacrifice
Head Leader
Sixth Man
And1: 17

Post#572 » by Head Leader » Sun Sep 14, 2014 4:07 am

I guess having a post up game isn't creating your own offense?

The advanced analytics seem to suggest players like Klay aren't immensely valuable because they do not create for others.

That's a fail.

He's a step above good on ball defender against both sets of guards, a great shooter, good post up offense, and he CAN get in the lane and finish. He's not a playmaker...So what.

Like someone said earlier. Reggie Miller wasn't a playmaker either was he "limited"?

I don't understand some peoples hate for the dude. He's a good player. He's valuable. He's young. He's GETTING BETTER.
"I am the Head leader, it all starts with me." - Monta Ellis

www.amuseaudio.com
TrueStoryGSW
Banned User
And1: 226

Post#573 » by TrueStoryGSW » Sun Sep 14, 2014 6:36 am

sk any GM or scout and they'll tell you Thompson is one of the best two-way players in the game, yet he hasn't sniffed either All-Star or All-Defensive team recognition. To make matters worse, teammate Andre Iguodala did receive All-Defensive first-team honors last season, even though injuries left him a shell of himself and forced the Warriors to give Thompson the assignments Iguodala was expected to fill. "Klay is a much better defender," said one former Warriors assistant coach. "It's not even close. It's all based on reputation and stats. The truth is, Dre is always gambling on the weak side."

Poor mans Ray Allen.
floppymoose
Senior Mod - Warriors
Senior Mod - Warriors
And1: 15,798

Post#574 » by floppymoose » Tue Sep 16, 2014 7:01 am

Twinkie defense wrote:Klay is long and has a beautiful, quick release. If you're loading balls into the JUGS machine [...].

It's 50 Shades of Gray week here in the Warriors forum! I felt dirty just reading this....
Mylie10
RealGM
And1: 9,612

Post#575 » by Mylie10 » Tue Sep 16, 2014 8:19 am

Twinkie defense wrote:

In that first paragraph it sounds more like you're describing John Holmes.
Khoee wrote “
Mav_Carter wrote: my list doesn't matter...I'm pretty much wrong on everything...
turk3d
RealGM

Post#576 » by turk3d » Tue Sep 16, 2014 9:16 am

Draymond Green: Exemplifies Warrior Leadership, Hustle, Desire, Versatility, Toughness, fearlessness, Grit, Heart,Team Spirit, Sacrifice
Darren_Errman
Senior
And1: 265

Post#577 » by Darren_Errman » Tue Sep 16, 2014 9:42 am

The goal is to get open. With the ball. Without the ball. It doesn't really matter. Just be good at getting open. if you got open, you just created offense.

5 guys on the floor and only 1 ball. Somebody will have to get open without the ball.
Plossum
General Manager
And1: 4,876

Post#578 » by Plossum » Tue Sep 16, 2014 12:21 pm

Pay the man his money.

If we're not going to trade him for Love then may as well lock him up. We're not going to get a better offer for Klay than Love so might as well go all in.

Interesting fact: if we max out Klay in October, Steph will become the lowest paid starter on the team.

Gotta give Myers credit for locking up a top 10 talent for such a bargain.
#LockUpChuck
turk3d
RealGM

Post#579 » by turk3d » Tue Sep 16, 2014 3:42 pm

From the General Board:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=1345367&start=40

We will have 1 of 2 options:

1) Give the man his money (as just stated in previous post) he probably will deserve it or

2) Let some one else make a max offer to him (which likely they will do) and either
a) match
b) S & T
c) let him walk

Pretty simple if you ask me.
Onus
RealGM
And1: 5,259

Post#580 » by Onus » Tue Sep 16, 2014 5:53 pm

turk3d wrote:From the General Board:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=1345367&start=40

We will have 1 of 2 options:

1) Give the man his money (as just stated in previous post) he probably will deserve it or

2) Let some one else make a max offer to him (which likely they will do) and either
a) match
b) S & T
c) let him walk

Pretty simple if you ask me.

The best thing to do really is to have another team sign him to an offer and then we match. If we don't want to burn any bridges then we'll probably just bend over and give into Duffy.
Most 4th Quarter Points in Final since 1991
1995 Shaquille O'Neal 11.5
2000 Shaquille O'Neal 11.5 (61.1% TS)
2015 Stephen Curry 10.8 (75.1% TS)
1997 Michael Jordan 10.7 (55.1% TS)
1998 Michael Jordan 10.6 (50.6% TS)
2011 Dirk Nowitzki 10.3 (68.0% TS)

Return to Golden State Warriors