Wiretap: Cousins Demands Trade From Kings

Moderators: Chris Porter's Hair, floppymoose, Sleepy51

floppymoose
Senior Mod - Warriors
Senior Mod - Warriors
And1: 15,786

Re: Wiretap: Cousins Demands Trade From Kings 

Post#41 » by floppymoose » Mon Jan 2, 2012 6:41 am

Cousins is not a quality center. He sucks.
Sleepy51
Forum Mod - Warriors
Forum Mod - Warriors
And1: 2,321

Post#42 » by Sleepy51 » Mon Jan 2, 2012 6:51 am

floppymoose wrote:Cousins is not a quality center. He sucks.

It takes 3 years for a big man to learn how to play NBA basketball. Sux is dependent upon an organization's ability to develop big talent. Cousins does have big talet.
Jester_ wrote:Can we trade Draymond Green for Grayson Allen?
floppymoose
Senior Mod - Warriors
Senior Mod - Warriors
And1: 15,786

Post#43 » by floppymoose » Mon Jan 2, 2012 6:55 am

Understood. However, I looked into my crystal ball, and three years from now Cousins still sucks.
Twinkie defense
RealGM
And1: 1,082

Post#44 » by Twinkie defense » Mon Jan 2, 2012 7:08 am

He's got a load of talent, but needs his head screwed on straight. If he's a two-guard he's not worth the hassle... but this is a very big, athletic man.

Cousins for Blatch sounds about right...
Mylie10
RealGM
And1: 9,612

Post#45 » by Mylie10 » Mon Jan 2, 2012 8:54 am

Sleepy51 wrote:
floppymoose wrote:Cousins is not a quality center. He sucks.

It takes 3 years for a big man to learn how to play NBA basketball. Sux is dependent upon an organization's ability to develop big talent. Cousins does have big talet.

I say roll the dice and go after him...I've always thought Westphalia is kind of a dick....I wouldn't absolve Cousins from being immature because that's always been his problem.

Had Demarcus been a solid citizen he may have gone number one in the draft. I like the idea of Marc Jackson handling a guy like Cousins and I see this as a fit for captain Monta. I really think Monta could take this kid under his wing and it might just help both of them.

Having said that...I'm not sure he's to good a fit with Lee....I don't think Lee would care for the antics....Nut this is really where I could see Marc Jackson have value.

Caliperi got through to the kid...so there is hope.

I'd definitely deal Udoh for him without even blinking.
Khoee wrote “
Mav_Carter wrote: my list doesn't matter...I'm pretty much wrong on everything...
killacalijatt
General Manager
And1: 1,708

Post#46 » by killacalijatt » Mon Jan 2, 2012 9:11 am

To refresh things didnt Cousins say on draft day that he did not want the Warriors to draft him ? Maybe im high
Mylie10
RealGM
And1: 9,612

Post#47 » by Mylie10 » Mon Jan 2, 2012 9:11 am

So I read that the Warriors currently have Demarcus' high school coach on staff doing video work.....and he worked for the Kings last year.....In the very least I'd bet that Jerry West and company are discussing the idea with a guy who has first hand knowledge of Demarcus.
Khoee wrote “
Mav_Carter wrote: my list doesn't matter...I'm pretty much wrong on everything...
Coxy
RealGM
And1: 14,656

Post#48 » by Coxy » Mon Jan 2, 2012 10:43 am

I like Jackson's motivational ability, and I think he could get through to Demarcus. I don't think we could end up with the top offer though. Teams like the Rockets, Charlotte and NJ could offer heaps. They have that all favorable 1st to add as well.

If we miss out though, could be luck in disguise.
GSForever
Banned User
And1: 10

Post#49 » by GSForever » Mon Jan 2, 2012 11:43 am

Didn't Cousins say he wasn't interested ib playing for the Dubs around draft day
Coxy
RealGM

Post#50 » by Coxy » Mon Jan 2, 2012 12:31 pm

So apparently Cousins pics have been taken off the Kings website - http://www.nba.com/kings/

They have really washed their hands with him quickly. Might mean whoever offers the best over the next week or 2 will get him.

If we don't make an offer and get him, I hope he goes East. I'll be pissed if goes to the Lakers, OKC or Heat.
Coxy
RealGM

Post#51 » by Coxy » Mon Jan 2, 2012 12:39 pm

Dwight to Nets, Cuz to Orlando, Lopez to Sac? With salary fillers and picks involved of course.
Jester_
General Manager
And1: 1,040

Post#52 » by Jester_ » Mon Jan 2, 2012 2:52 pm

Coxy wrote:So apparently Cousins pics have been taken off the Kings website - http://www.nba.com/kings/

They have really washed their hands with him quickly. Might mean whoever offers the best over the next week or 2 will get him.

If we don't make an offer and get him, I hope he goes East. I'll be pissed if goes to the Lakers, OKC or Heat.

I would love if he went to LA. He won't fit in to that team at all. Kobe will ream him a new one day in and day out. I highly doubt he'll be able to cope if he couldn't take Westphal.
GQ Hot Dog wrote:Kerr has done more with the least talent available of any coach in the history of the game.
old rem
RealGM
And1: 1,080

Post#53 » by old rem » Mon Jan 2, 2012 3:28 pm

Actually...Cousins was difficult for Calipari too. He has a bit touchiness about "authority" and is one of those guys wired a bit tight who's moods and emotions can be a plus or a negative.

I expect that whatever's up in Sac Town...blows over and Cousins stays. If not.........then it probably takes a month or two while Sac haggles for the best deal and the other teams do some detective work so they know what's up. In a way...it resembles Webber's exit from GSW. Like Webber, Cousins seems to have a pretty considerable ego and considerable ability. You have to worry that he's a "me first" guy who wants "STAR" treatment already. On the other hand, Webber DID have a good overall career and I think Cousins will too.

Udoh? Udoh hasn't had much showcase yet. Realistically, I'm not sure that Udoh is a winning bid. Something more like Udoh + D Wright for Cousins, D Greene and a 2013 rd 2 might fly. I sure like Wright more than Greene but for GSW it's kind of a challenge where they MIGHT turn it into a big plus. Jackson, and the asst coaches will need to be SHARP because Cousins ...and Greene....are guys with talent who you need to coach in a constructive and flexible way. Some players are easy to manage, are good chemistry guys, tend to have fundamentals,to follow the plan no matter what. Others, are unique personalities. They may be well aware it's a team game but have their own take on how they fit into that...and sometimes they are right. Magic Johnson?

Elsewhere we toyed with the idea of Nate Thurmond or another former STAR C as a big man coach.
Were GSW to get Cousins...I think that gets even more important. If you have a guy like Nate, Moses Malone, Hakeem,R Parrish who's got the cred,then it's easier to get a guy to buy in.
CENSORED... No comment.
xRapHeadx
Lead Assistant
And1: 124

Post#54 » by xRapHeadx » Mon Jan 2, 2012 4:08 pm

I could understand if he was playing really well and didn't want to be there, but he is stinking out the joint. Do not want.
Coxy wrote:Well, that is very true indeed. Weed and playstation is like peas and carrotts.
FNQ
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 20,006

Post#55 » by FNQ » Mon Jan 2, 2012 4:12 pm

xRapHeadx wrote:I could understand if he was playing really well and didn't want to be there, but he is stinking out the joint. Do not want.

+1

It seems like the infatuation w/him is ADD related... 'a shiny new toy'!!

He's mental... sure he's talented but how long would this guy tolerate Mark Jackson, and vice versa? Only way our team wins this year is chemistry... having a giant, crying baby Huey on the team does nothing for me.
FNQ
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 20,006

Post#56 » by FNQ » Mon Jan 2, 2012 4:59 pm

Passing along some info from .net...

Apparently, the Kings hired Cousins' HS coach last year as a way to 'handle' him... that coach left last year to join the Warriors.

:blank:
Rob Rowell
Sixth Man
And1: 101

Post#57 » by Rob Rowell » Mon Jan 2, 2012 6:12 pm

Funny I was thinking Jackson would be the perfect coach for a Demarcus type player. Jackson approach to coaching is more big brother style Im not going to yell at you or curse you out im gonna hold your hand

Id take the chance on Cousins in a minute as long as were not taking on any long term money. We need cap for next summer
don nelson
Head Coach
And1: 3

Post#58 » by don nelson » Mon Jan 2, 2012 6:12 pm

Kings say they won’t trade Cousins
By Marc J. Spears and Adrian Wojnarowski, Yahoo! Sports

SACRAMENTO, Calif. – Hours before Sacramento Kings coach Paul Westphal ordered DeMarcus Cousins to stay away from Sunday’s game against the New Orleans Hornets, the temperamental center had yet another shouting match with Westphal in the coach’s office, sources told Yahoo! Sports. Westphal and Cousins’ agent John Grieg are at odds over whether Cousins issued a actual trade demand – the coach said yes, the agent no – but a Kings player said he heard the center yelling that he wanted out of Sacramento, sources said. “Trade me now,” Cousins was heard to yell after Saturday’s loss to the New York Knicks, a source told Y! Sports.

Kings coach Paul Westphal says DeMarcus Cousins has twice asked to be traded. Before the Kings’ 96-80 victory over the Hornets Sunday, Westphal told reporters that Cousins requested trades on Dec. 24 and again after Saturday night’s loss to the Knicks. In a statement released by the Kings earlier Sunday, Westphal said he ordered Cousins to stay away from that evening’s game because Cousins “continually, aggressively, lets it be known that he is unwilling/unable to embrace traveling in the same direction as his team.”

Kings co-owner Joe Maloof and general manager Geoff Petrie said they will not trade Cousins, regardless of his wishes. Cousins, 21, is in the second year of a rookie contract paying him $3.6 million this season, and it would be tough for the Kings to get equal value for a talented player who already has a long history of throwing temper tantrums.

“We’re happy that he’s a King,” Maloof told Y! Sports. “But when a coach asks you to do something, you got to do it. We’re not trading him. …We have great expectations for him. It’s just one of those things that happens. “Sooner or later he’ll understand what the NBA is about. Just get along with people. That’s all.”

Teams interested in Cousins have called the Kings, but none believes the team will seriously consider trading him so early in his career. Several rival executives expect the Kings will eventually make a coaching change and try a tougher style with Cousins. “Once you saw that release only came from Westphal, that was a telltale sign that this was a coach venting and not a call to the league by management and ownership that they were trading Cousins,” one Eastern Conference executive told Y! Sports.

Cousins had nine points and 11 rebounds against the Knicks and asked Westphal afterward if he could meet with him. The two met in the coach’s office, a source said. Cousins had told reporters he wasn’t happy with the team’s offense. Westphal told Cousins in a private meeting Sunday morning that he wouldn’t be playing in the Hornets game, a source said. Just last week, Cousins had another verbal altercation with Westphal after Westphal called him for a technical in practice, several sources said.

Cousins is an immensely talented young player, which is why the University of Kentucky and the Kings have tolerated his behavior over the past two seasons. The fifth overall pick in the 2010 draft pushed through a rookie season full of spectacular promise on the floor tempered with volatile, immature behavior on and off the court. The Kings disciplined Cousins several times for behavioral issues, and Cousins had run-ins with Sacramento coaches, including Westphal, former assistants Truck Robinson and Mario Elie, and strength-and-conditioning coach Daniel Shapiro. Cousins was also was suspended after a locker-room altercation with teammate Donte Greene last season after Greene didn’t pass him the ball for a potential game-winning shot in a loss to the Oklahoma City Thunder. At the time, Greene called Cousins “spoiled,” one source said, a reference to the franchise’s coddling of its young center.

“He’s selfish,” one source close to the team said of Cousins. “He’s always angry or clowning. He needs to change. The Kings have been great about covering things up for him, and his agent has been protecting him. “He’s always miserable. He acts like he’s entitled.” Some players are disillusioned with the constant drain of Cousins’ tantrums, sulking and absence of professionalism. “He’s a bully, and they let him get away with it,” one source said. “No one wants to deal with the guy.”

Cousins is averaging 13 points and 11.2 rebounds in four games. The Kings don’t doubt Cousins’ talent, but they want to see him become more professional. “He’s passionate and he wants to win, but he just needs to learn how to control his actions,” Kings center Chuck Hayes said. “Some things are better left unsaid. And if you’re not feeling the system, the team, the players, don’t let your body language say it.”

Said Kings guard Tyreke Evans: “I’ve known DeMarcus for a long time and I want nothing but the best for him, but hopefully he can keep his head on straight and be a part of this team because we need him.” The Kings next play Tuesday in Memphis. When asked if Cousins will play, Petrie said he will meet with him prior to the Kings’ flight on Monday and “go forward from there.” “He just has to put away the childish things and start to grow up,” Petrie said. “Learn to be more professional. Learn to put in effort and time and grow as a player. We want to help him help himself and the team.” The Kings are 2-3 this season. Prior to Sunday’s victory, Petrie was asked about Westphal’s performance as coach.
“I don’t think anyone is happy with the way we are playing,” Petrie said. “We have to play better. That’s what we are all working on.”
danbanger
Senior
And1: 11

Post#59 » by danbanger » Mon Jan 2, 2012 6:29 pm

The players seem to like Cousins so it looks like Cousins is staying and Westphal is gonna be ousted. That will mean Keith Smart may be the HC of the Sacramento Kings haha.
coldgrip1
Banned User
And1: 0

Post#60 » by coldgrip1 » Mon Jan 2, 2012 6:40 pm

Cousins is one of those guys in the league I find very hard to root for but for the sake of our team, if we can get him without any of Monta/Curry/Lee we go for it. No buts, no ifs, no whining.

When you trade a couple role players for a quality starter you do it. No questions.

Return to Golden State Warriors