2012 Standings Predictions Games

Moderators: Chris Porter's Hair, floppymoose, Sleepy51

Chris Porter's Hair
Forum Mod - Warriors
Forum Mod - Warriors
And1: 3,556

2012 Standings Predictions Games 

Post#1 » by Chris Porter's Hair » Sun Sep 9, 2012 7:15 pm

In a desperate effort to quell the heated discussions about players that don't matter ;-), I have gotten the standings prediction games up and running for 2012. You can find them here:

http://www.carpediemjuggling.com/dave/w ... prediction

You can/should use your same account/password from last year. This is the part where we'll regret that I don't have any sort of password recovery flow. Perhaps I'll try to write one in my copious free time. For anyone who doesn't know/remember how they are scored:

For each team, we take the difference between their actual position in the standings and where you predicted them to be in the standings. You get that many points. Naturally, the lowest score wins.

crzyyafrican makes the best sigs, quite frankly
Jester_
General Manager
And1: 1,037

Re: 2012 Standings Predictions Games 

Post#2 » by Jester_ » Sun Sep 9, 2012 7:57 pm

This made me depressed. You don't really realize how ridiculously competitive the West is till you do this.
GQ Hot Dog wrote:Kerr has done more with the least talent available of any coach in the history of the game.
floppymoose
Senior Mod - Warriors
Senior Mod - Warriors
And1: 15,769

Post#3 » by floppymoose » Mon Sep 10, 2012 2:09 am

My first cut - not promising to leave it this way...

Oklahoma City
LA Lakers
San Antonio
Memphis
Golden State
LA Clippers
Dallas
Minnesota
Denver
Utah
Portland
Houston
Phoenix
New Orleans
Sacramento
Coxy
RealGM
And1: 14,649

Post#4 » by Coxy » Tue Sep 11, 2012 10:43 am

Ill get my picks in soon. I want to go back to back baby. Dominated this ess last season in the West.
NuWarriors
Lead Assistant
And1: 715

Post#5 » by NuWarriors » Tue Sep 11, 2012 11:41 pm

The bottom half needs to be repped as well... I'm in.
KevinMcreynolds
RealGM
And1: 3,329

Post#6 » by KevinMcreynolds » Mon Sep 17, 2012 5:57 am

Looking at the depth charts right now...I love Portland's starting lineup moving forward, but good lord, their bench is an insult to humanity.
floppymoose wrote:Too much Vlad. Sixers can't handle it. Solid gold.

"I'm a big proponent of footwork. Believe me." ~Jim Barnett
r8rrich12
Junior
And1: 2

Post#7 » by r8rrich12 » Thu Sep 20, 2012 3:47 pm

Oh wow, didn't realize Coxy and I tied for the prediction win last year. Awesome!
3-Ball Corner Pocket
and1GS
RealGM
And1: 2,726
Location: home of 4x champs, 1x AS starter, supporter of checkbook wins and all-time weakest moves

Post#8 » by and1GS » Fri Sep 28, 2012 5:35 pm

Anyone have a link to last year's results?
"The dynasty doesn't start with you, it starts after you" :lol: :lol:

KevinMcreynolds wrote:hopefully JK laid some pipe on the strip as well, gotta get those reps in
floppymoose
Senior Mod - Warriors
Senior Mod - Warriors

Post#9 » by floppymoose » Fri Sep 28, 2012 6:49 pm

see the link in the OP.
floppymoose
Senior Mod - Warriors
Senior Mod - Warriors

Post#10 » by floppymoose » Thu Oct 11, 2012 4:33 am

I watched the Mavs/Barcelona preseason game on tv. The Mavs were without Dirk. My goodness do they suck without Dirk. Really, really bad. Barcelona beat them, and it wasn't because the Mavs ran scrubs out there. It was because they stank.

They could easily miss the playoffs entirely if Dirk misses a lot of games.

I'm moving them down and Denver and Utah up:

Oklahoma City
LA Lakers
San Antonio
Memphis
Golden State
LA Clippers
Denver
Minnesota
Utah
Dallas
Portland
Houston
Phoenix
New Orleans
Sacramento
KevinMcreynolds
RealGM

Post#11 » by KevinMcreynolds » Thu Oct 11, 2012 11:43 pm

Picking the east sucks. It's basically 4 or 5 good teams, a few dysfunctional ones rounding out the playoffs, and then like 6 piles of crap.

It could go in any direction.

Coxy
RealGM
And1: 14,649

Post#12 » by Coxy » Sun Oct 14, 2012 9:31 am

Right, I've made my picks yawl.

The West is seriously stacked, and the East as usual, is like picking which disease is the worst.
floppymoose
Senior Mod - Warriors
Senior Mod - Warriors

Post#13 » by floppymoose » Mon Oct 15, 2012 9:46 am

I don't know why people say the west is stacked. There are 7 teams that are not very good. Any team that is good in the west is going to make the playoffs.
floppymoose
Senior Mod - Warriors
Senior Mod - Warriors

Post#14 » by floppymoose » Wed Oct 17, 2012 2:50 am

Is this still working?

I get a blank page.
NuWarriors
Lead Assistant
And1: 715

Post#15 » by NuWarriors » Wed Oct 17, 2012 3:37 am

floppymoose wrote:Is this still working?

I get a blank page.

Works for me...
Chris Porter's Hair
Forum Mod - Warriors
Forum Mod - Warriors

Post#16 » by Chris Porter's Hair » Wed Oct 17, 2012 4:57 pm

And me...

26 people playing Western Conference so far. 22 Eastern.

and1GS
RealGM
And1: 2,726
Location: home of 4x champs, 1x AS starter, supporter of checkbook wins and all-time weakest moves

Post#17 » by and1GS » Sat Oct 20, 2012 12:04 am

I forgot my password -___-
"The dynasty doesn't start with you, it starts after you" :lol: :lol:

KevinMcreynolds wrote:hopefully JK laid some pipe on the strip as well, gotta get those reps in
Chris Porter's Hair
Forum Mod - Warriors
Forum Mod - Warriors

Post#18 » by Chris Porter's Hair » Sun Oct 21, 2012 4:24 pm

and1GS wrote:I forgot my password -___-

I knew one of you jokers would eventually say that :-)

Let me see if I find time today to figure out how to reset a password. Hard for me to do a recovery flow since I didn't have any of you put in e-mail addresses or anything, but I can at least figure out how I can manually reset for you.

anchorman123
Junior
And1: 5

Post#19 » by anchorman123 » Wed Oct 24, 2012 12:47 am

Hi

I'm a new Warriors fan. I'm from Australia so I follow wherever Bogut goes so I've been following the warriors ever since the trade. I reckon Bogut would love the warmer weather and I got the sense that he wasn't happy with skiles (a task master who never trusted him on offence) and I also got the sense that he had a falling out with Jennings. The second part is pure speculation of course based on intuition only. A sea change is what was needed for him and the bucks.

This might sound very critical but bear with me (it's a form of tough love)...
One of the toughest issues is going from watching a strong defensive team (with bad offence) to watching a team that plays terrible defence but should have good offence.
Not only are there a handful of bad defensive players: Lee, Curry, Landry and Klay but it looks like the defensive structure is terrible. Which to me spells poor coaching. Some might say we were tanking last year so it's not much to go by or it is only pre season, so that's not much to go by either but still the clippers embarrassed us the other day. Paul and Griffin made us look like amateurs out there. Lee and Landry were embarrassing out there trying to guard Griffin. Whether pre season or not I don't see that 'improving' during the regular season. With so many great pfs out there especially in the west you have Love, dirk, pau, randolph, milsap/favors, griffin, aldridge etc. you have to wonder how we are going to stop those guys. All of those guys are on teams that are legitimately competing for playoff spots. Pau is obviously a lock. In the near future someone like Lee, Draymond Green or Landry will need to be traded or dropped in place of a pf who can play d otherwise the aforementioned pfs will continually eat us up for breakfast. Getting back Udoh or getting someone like Amir Johnson or some such player that can play defence against these guys and is still relatively young and affordable would be ideal.

My next major concern is Curry. Whilst Bogut has had freak injuries over his career it's not the same as being prone to injury. I've been told by a re-constructive surgeon that surgery should always be a last resort and that if you need surgery on one area more than once, then chances are you'll have major problems with it for the rest of your life. This is why Curry will now and always be prone to spraining his right ankle. So the question everyone's been asking is should they extend him now or hope he has a good season and see what the market says after this season... I say don't extend him but then don't wait until the end of the season either. I say showcase him now let him get his 20 ppg and 6apg then boom at the trade deadline trade him for Mike Conley or Kyle Lowry. Why this makes sense? Toronto and Memphis both have great perimeter defenders but are lacking a true 3 point shooter. Curry can be that 3 point shooter for them and yet still do a commendable job of running the offence. They have enough good defenders to cover for curry on the defensive end. As for us? It means we get a player who is a great perimeter defender and a great penetrator which are 2 things we are severely lacking right now. They are both solid at running the offence and though they aren't as talented as Curry, at least they aren't prone to injury.

Lastly is coaching. As mentioned before the defensive structure is horrible to watch. No help d, no awareness everybody looks a bit lost. But worrisome still is the offence. It looks so inconsistent. Being reliant on good shooting is one thing but again the structure is lacking. Bad spacing, poor communication, no penetration/cutting, mediocre passing. It relies on Lee bailing us out with a tough low post move or Klay (the only one cutting) to nail an outside shot. I do like Curry in this regard. I think he's very smart, in control and can score when needed too. He's also a talented passer and great decision maker (if only he wasn't injury prone). Getting Bogut to control from the pivot is important too. I'm hoping that this is just an early 'pre season' thing but my sense is that the coaching is below par. Jackson seems to be all talk with no substance. Both defensively and offensively I see a lack of structure, a lack of tightness and cohesion. Again, I hope this is only because it's early but I really think if we don't have wins on the board after 2 months I say dump him. Get maybe a Stan Van gundy type. I think he would be suitable for the personnel that we have.

Unless changes are made, I predict 10th.

LAL
OKC
SAS
LAC
DEN
MEM
DAL
UTA

MIN
GSW
POR
HOU
PHX
SAC
NOH

If everything fell into place I'd say at best 7th but then we'd be bounced out of the playoffs by OKC who we don't match up well against.
KevinMcreynolds
RealGM

Post#20 » by KevinMcreynolds » Thu Oct 25, 2012 3:00 am

so many damn injuries this preseason, I gotta update my standings every day

Return to Golden State Warriors