ImageImageImageImageImage

Fire Mark Jackson or this team's going nowhere.

Moderators: Chris Porter's Hair, floppymoose, Sleepy51

Jester_
General Manager
And1: 1,040

Re: Fire Mark Jackson or this team's going nowhere. 

Post#41 » by Jester_ » Wed Jan 22, 2014 7:10 pm

zhenyasj wrote:NBA is a players' league where coach's ability to manage egos and maintain players' respect is exponentially more important then Xs and Os. I would rather have Jackson learn on the job while building a culture players want to be a part of then a retread coach who previously failed somewhere else.

You'd think with the success guys like Pop, Adelman and Thibs have had in this league, that people would stop believing crap like this.
GQ Hot Dog wrote:Kerr has done more with the least talent available of any coach in the history of the game.
Muggsy Bogues
Assistant Coach
And1: 288

Post#42 » by Muggsy Bogues » Wed Jan 22, 2014 7:31 pm

Jester_ wrote:
zhenyasj wrote:NBA is a players' league where coach's ability to manage egos and maintain players' respect is exponentially more important then Xs and Os. I would rather have Jackson learn on the job while building a culture players want to be a part of then a retread coach who previously failed somewhere else.

You'd think with the success guys like Pop, Adelman and Thibs have had in this league, that people would stop believing crap like this.

Exactly. And guys like Spoelstra and Vogel aren't exactly pandering to their players either. If you want to have a shot at sustained success, you need a system, even if only as a fallback for when your team can't improvise its way out of trouble. Jackson seems to be the antithesis of that sort of coach. I'm pretty convinced that the only reason that the team has a defensive system is because Malone installed one when he was here. I know what Lacob had in mind by hiring Jackson, but I'm convinced that he picked the wrong one of the two to be head coach.
zhenyasj
Bench Warmer
And1: 475

Post#43 » by zhenyasj » Wed Jan 22, 2014 7:45 pm

Jester_ wrote:

There's only one Pop. What have Adelman and Thibs ever done that makes you think this team can take the next step? Bulls play great defense but are horrible offensively. That's not because Thibs can't coach offense but because that's what has to work with.
zhenyasj
Bench Warmer
And1: 475

Post#44 » by zhenyasj » Wed Jan 22, 2014 7:46 pm

Muggsy Bogues wrote:
Jester_ wrote:

Exactly. And guys like Spoelstra and Vogel aren't exactly pandering to their players either. If you want to have a shot at sustained success, you need a system, even if only as a fallback for when your team can't improvise its way out of trouble. Jackson seems to be the antithesis of that sort of coach. I'm pretty convinced that the only reason that the team has a defensive system is because Malone installed one when he was here. I know what Lacob had in mind by hiring Jackson, but I'm convinced that he picked the wrong one of the two to be head coach.

That's laughable. Spoelstra has to pander to Wade/Lebron or else he's out.
Jester_
General Manager

Post#45 » by Jester_ » Wed Jan 22, 2014 7:51 pm

zhenyasj wrote:
Jester_ wrote:

There's only one Pop. What have Adelman and Thibs ever done that makes you think this team can take the next step? Bulls play great defense but are horrible offensively. That's not because Thibs can't coach offense but because that's what has to work with.

There's a reason the Bulls continue to compete despite losing their superstar (and their 2nd best player). Adelman is arguably the best in-game coach in the league.
GQ Hot Dog wrote:Kerr has done more with the least talent available of any coach in the history of the game.
Muggsy Bogues
Assistant Coach
And1: 288

Post#46 » by Muggsy Bogues » Wed Jan 22, 2014 7:51 pm

zhenyasj wrote:That's laughable. Spoelstra has to pander to Wade/Lebron or else he's out.

Not really. Take a look at Miami's offense during year one and compare it to their offense now. That's all Spoelstra's doing, and if you recall, he had problems getting both Wade and James to buy into that sort of thing during the first year, where they coasted to the finals more on talent than anything else.
likashing
Head Coach
And1: 1,959

Post#47 » by likashing » Wed Jan 22, 2014 8:32 pm

A good coach develops, and then fine tunes, a system which his players can be successful in. Players know where to go, how to react and counter, what plan B, C, D are if the first option didn't work out. That is why on great teams, you see scrubs being confident and knowing what to do when they are on the court. You see Boris Diaw knowing what to do, instead of doing the Speights dribble then step-back jumper thing. You see the Bulls staying competitive without Rose, etc etc.

While Barnes, Green, O'Neal and the other bench guys are not 6th man of the year candidates, they are not exactly scrubs either and ~2 of them can be starters elsewhere. Jackson could not develop a system for them to stay afloat. Heck, he doesn't even have a successful system with Klay or Iguodala with the bench either.

His only successful line up is when Steph, Klay, Iguodala, Lee, and Bogut all play together, who are 5 of the league's highest basketball IQ players, and with sheer talent and a lacking system, can beat any other 5 players in the league! Even though he deserves credit for getting them to defend (top 5 defense!!!), the team's offensive rating is just #14 among 30 teams despite his roster.

If Jackson doesn't improve drastically and soon, he will definitely be the bottleneck for this team to reach higher. A good coach has players over-achieving in his system. I can't see one on our team. On the other hand, I see many under-achieving this year under him.

Having said all that, the timing to replace him isn't right now. The players *still* like him and wants to give him the benefit of the doubt. It is hard for management to sell the idea of "replacing Mark". However, if we get knocked out of first round or miss the playoffs, it will be the right time.
Mark Jackson wrote:Playoff preparation is overrated... I’m going to get my rest. I’m not going to grow old and be stressed out and get gray hair.
statsman
Analyst
And1: 438

Post#48 » by statsman » Wed Jan 22, 2014 8:36 pm

likashing wrote:His only successful line up is when Steph, Klay, Iguodala, Lee, and Bogut all play together, who are 5 of the league's highest basketball IQ players, and with sheer talent and a lacking system, can beat any other 5 players in the league!

You might want to revisit the last home game against the Pacers. The Warriors were down 35-21 at the end of the first quarter, and the Pacers' starters mostly owned the Warriors starters.
Left*My*Heart
RealGM
And1: 641

Post#49 » by Left*My*Heart » Wed Jan 22, 2014 8:43 pm

likashing wrote:A good coach develops, and then fine tunes, a system which his players can be successful in. Players know where to go, how to react and counter, what plan B, C, D are if the first option didn't work out. That is why on great teams, you see scrubs being confident and knowing what to do when they are on the court. You see Boris Diaw knowing what to do, instead of doing the Speights dribble then step-back jumper thing. You see the Bulls staying competitive without Rose, etc etc.

While Barnes, Green, O'Neal and the other bench guys are not 6th man of the year candidates, they are not exactly scrubs either and ~2 of them can be starters elsewhere. Jackson could not develop a system for them to stay afloat. Heck, he doesn't even have a successful system with Klay or Iguodala with the bench either.

His only successful line up is when Steph, Klay, Iguodala, Lee, and Bogut all play together, who are 5 of the league's highest basketball IQ players, and with sheer talent and a lacking system, can beat any other 5 players in the league! Even though he deserves credit for getting them to defend (top 5 defense!!!), the team's offensive rating is just #14 among 30 teams despite his roster.

If Jackson doesn't improve drastically and soon, he will definitely be the bottleneck for this team to reach higher. A good coach has players over-achieving in his system. I can't see one on our team. On the other hand, I see many under-achieving this year under him.

Having said all that, the timing to replace him isn't right now. The players *still* like him and wants to give him the benefit of the doubt. It is hard for management to sell the idea of "replacing Mark". However, if we get knocked out of first round or miss the playoffs, it will be the right time.

Since when is Diaw a scrub? He is miles better than any guy we have coming off the bench.
oaktownwarriors87
RealGM
And1: 4,354

Post#50 » by oaktownwarriors87 » Wed Jan 22, 2014 8:51 pm

I think you're all a bunch of pussies.

The team just went on a 10 game win streak and now they are struggling against some of the top teams in the league. That's to be expected. Why?

1. Lee lost weight so he's even more useless at Center.
2. Defying the laws of physics, Speights somehow manages to suck and blow at the same time.
3. O'Neal is injured.
4. Ezeli is injured.

The Warriors, more so than other teams, rely heavily on having a big that can protect the rim. The entire defensive scheme is designed on packing the paint and forcing long jump shots. They can't do that with Lee and Speights. What is Jackson supposed to do? Sure, he could have played Bogut a little more. But this team and system aren't designed to play with just one center. Right now we will just have to settle with being slightly above average until either O'Neal or Speights come back.
cdubbz wrote:Donte DiVincenzo will outplay Poole this season.
likashing
Head Coach

Post#51 » by likashing » Wed Jan 22, 2014 9:18 pm

Left*My*Heart wrote:Since when is Diaw a scrub? He is miles better than any guy we have coming off the bench.

How about Patty Mills being productive? Also, if Diaw were on our team, he will produce as much as Speight does. If We had Patty Mills, he would perform worse than Douglas.
Mark Jackson wrote:Playoff preparation is overrated... I’m going to get my rest. I’m not going to grow old and be stressed out and get gray hair.
Onus
RealGM
And1: 5,237

Post#52 » by Onus » Wed Jan 22, 2014 9:38 pm

oaktownwarriors87 wrote:I think you're all a bunch of pussies.

The team just went on a 10 game win streak and now they are struggling against some of the top teams in the league. That's to be expected. Why?

1. Lee lost weight so he's even more useless at Center.
2. Defying the laws of physics, Speights somehow manages to suck and blow at the same time.
3. O'Neal is injured.
4. Ezeli is injured.

The Warriors, more so than other teams, rely heavily on having a big that can protect the rim. The entire defensive scheme is designed on packing the paint and forcing long jump shots. They can't do that with Lee and Speights. What is Jackson supposed to do? Sure, he could have played Bogut a little more. But this team and system aren't designed to play with just one center. Right now we will just have to settle with being slightly above average until either O'Neal or Speights come back.

You realize having lee at center is one of our best lineups.

So we can beat bad teams but can't beat good teams. Sounds familiar ...

So we're basically an avg team with delusions of grandeur and minimal assets to improve. Great!
Most 4th Quarter Points in Final since 1991
1995 Shaquille O'Neal 11.5
2000 Shaquille O'Neal 11.5 (61.1% TS)
2015 Stephen Curry 10.8 (75.1% TS)
1997 Michael Jordan 10.7 (55.1% TS)
1998 Michael Jordan 10.6 (50.6% TS)
2011 Dirk Nowitzki 10.3 (68.0% TS)
kulo
Junior
And1: 158

Post#53 » by kulo » Wed Jan 22, 2014 10:24 pm

statsman wrote:
likashing wrote:His only successful line up is when Steph, Klay, Iguodala, Lee, and Bogut all play together, who are 5 of the league's highest basketball IQ players, and with sheer talent and a lacking system, can beat any other 5 players in the league!

You might want to revisit the last home game against the Pacers. The Warriors were down 35-21 at the end of the first quarter, and the Pacers' starters mostly owned the Warriors starters.

Then you look at the 2 coaches and BINGO.
Jester_
General Manager

Post#54 » by Jester_ » Wed Jan 22, 2014 10:52 pm

statsman wrote:

Uh, no they didn't. We were roughly evenly matched with them when our starters were in. Then Jackass went full (Please Use More Appropriate Word) hockey lineup and tanked us.
paul
RealGM
And1: 1,038

Post#55 » by paul » Thu Jan 23, 2014 12:57 am

Jester_ wrote:
statsman wrote:

Uh, no they didn't. We were roughly evenly matched with them when our starters were in. Then Jackass went full (Please Use More Appropriate Word) hockey lineup and tanked us.

Yeah pretty sure most of the starters were about a -5 or -6 when they sat, the bench then got a 10-0 run put on them from memory. Vogel left at least Hibbert and I think George in, Jackson took his guys out.
and1GS
RealGM
And1: 2,726
Location: home of 4x champs, 1x AS starter, supporter of checkbook wins and all-time weakest moves

Post#56 » by and1GS » Thu Jan 23, 2014 1:20 am

The Pacers were hitting shots early and running our starters out the gym. The bench brought it a little closer by the start of the second.

We lost not because of bad rotations or whatever, its because we came out so unbelievably flat and lately our offense is predicated on Steph/Klay going bonkers.
"The dynasty doesn't start with you, it starts after you" :lol: :lol:

KevinMcreynolds wrote:hopefully JK laid some pipe on the strip as well, gotta get those reps in
likashing
Head Coach

Post#57 » by likashing » Thu Jan 23, 2014 1:44 am

Left*My*Heart wrote:Since when is Diaw a scrub? He is miles better than any guy we have coming off the bench.

Also check out his shooting % and turnover/min etc before and after he went to the Spurs. I know there's only one Pop. But good coaches have a system to emphasis their players' strengths and mask out their weaknesses.

http://espn.go.com/nba/player/stats/_/i ... boris-diaw
runtmc91
Junior
And1: 148

Post#58 » by runtmc91 » Thu Jan 23, 2014 2:56 am

zhenyasj wrote:
Jester_ wrote:

Imagine Mark Jackson with the Bulls' players :lol:
Jester_
General Manager

Post#59 » by Jester_ » Thu Jan 23, 2014 4:04 am

and1GS wrote:The Pacers were hitting shots early and running our starters out the gym. The bench brought it a little closer by the start of the second.

We lost not because of bad rotations or whatever, its because we came out so unbelievably flat and lately our offense is predicated on Steph/Klay going bonkers.

Like Paul said, we were only down by 5 with our starters in. Our hockey lineup bench got clobbered on like a 10-0 run.
and1GS
RealGM
And1: 2,726
Location: home of 4x champs, 1x AS starter, supporter of checkbook wins and all-time weakest moves

Post#60 » by and1GS » Thu Jan 23, 2014 6:46 am

Maybe when the entire bench came on, but right before the subs started rolling in we were getting killed and down by around 10.
"The dynasty doesn't start with you, it starts after you" :lol: :lol:

KevinMcreynolds wrote:hopefully JK laid some pipe on the strip as well, gotta get those reps in

Return to Golden State Warriors