Moderators: Chris Porter's Hair, floppymoose, Sleepy51

East Bay Sports
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,559

Re: Around the NBA III 

Post#1041 » by East Bay Sports » Fri Jun 26, 2015 11:03 pm

Quazza wrote:Image

:lol:

Knicks fans would have boo'd no matter what, doubt they even know who they wanted. Once the top 3 prospects were off the board 4 is the least desirable spot in this draft.
The-Power
General Manager
And1: 9,080

Post#1042 » by The-Power » Fri Jun 26, 2015 11:15 pm

East Bay Sports wrote: Once the top 3 prospects were off the board 4 is the least desirable spot in this draft.

I don't buy this for a second. It's commonly said but as long as you have a plan (and a relatively safe job certainly helps, like in Phil's case) you're happy to have control over the situation and to be able to take the guy you rated as the highest prospect left. If you're not, you're doing something wrong.
East Bay Sports
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,559

Post#1043 » by East Bay Sports » Fri Jun 26, 2015 11:16 pm

The-Power wrote:
East Bay Sports wrote: Once the top 3 prospects were off the board 4 is the least desirable spot in this draft.

I don't buy this for a second. It's commonly said but as long as you have a plan (and a relatively safe job certainly helps, like in Phil's case) you're happy to have control over the situation and be able to take the guy you rated as the highest prospect left. If you're not, you're doing something wrong.

Just saying the difference between 3 & 4 is huge, whereas the difference between 4/5/6/7/8/9/10 seemed negligible. I'm sure they would have loved to have traded down if they could have gotten a decent deal.
The-Power
General Manager
And1: 9,080

Post#1044 » by The-Power » Fri Jun 26, 2015 11:37 pm

East Bay Sports wrote:
The-Power wrote:

I don't buy this for a second. It's commonly said but as long as you have a plan (and a relatively safe job certainly helps, like in Phil's case) you're happy to have control over the situation and be able to take the guy you rated as the highest prospect left. If you're not, you're doing something wrong.

Just saying the difference between 3 & 4 is huge, whereas the difference between 4/5/6/7/8/9/10 seemed negligible. I'm sure they would have loved to have traded down if they could have gotten a decent deal.

Yeah, the drop-off in talent was seen as real although I don't agree with it wholeheartedly. Anyway, if you're not particularly high on someone left you might want to seek a deal, squeeze out some value and pick whoever is still on the board at the time you're picking. I don't deny that. But most of the time this isn't the case. The well-run franchises do their work with the due diligence and they know exactly what the differences between the players in the say 4-10 range are. If you have a choice, you choose the fourth pick every day and twice on sunday even if the overall talent gap appears to be negligible - it's still better to have control over the situation and pick the player you believe to be best suited for your team. If you're good at what you're doing you should be confident enough to give a damn about fan and media reactions.

This doesn't mean that you can't decide to trade down, for instance, if the added value is perceived to be higher than the value of the higher draft pick. But all things being equal, you rather have the fourth pick than the fifth, sixth, seventh or whatever pick. At no point you should prefer the lower pick just because there won't be as much blame on you, supposedly - that's a recipe for failure.
whocurrz
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,453

Post#1045 » by whocurrz » Fri Jun 26, 2015 11:47 pm

and1GS wrote:
whocurrz wrote:I would be excited if I was a Knicks fan. That move showed they're looking for the home run even if they have to wait a bit longer and aren't going for the quick fix to appease fans like the Knicks always do. They went for a guy with the highest upside. The Hardaway for Jerian Grant move was a great one too. Getting a big guard who plays both sides of the floor for basically Nick Young. If Phil doesn't blow their capspace on overpaying mid tier FAs on long deals he is doing a good job.

IMO Mudiay has more upside and he's better right now. Phil is trying so damn hard to run the triangle in NY it's getting to be a bit weird.

It's tough to tell. Word from lots of scouts is that KP had probably the highest upside in the draft and he was already pretty good in a much better league than Mudiay or any NCAA guy. I might have picked Mudiay too but both guys are gonna take time and I think Phil's decision represented a real rebuild approach instead of what the Knicks normally do. Phil knows you need great talent and he took the guy who has the highest ceiling. Knicks fans are complaining that they took kappa over Willie Cauley Stein because WCS would help more next year. I think Winslow could be really good but he's more of a hustle guy for now. Sure all of these guys have nice ceilings, but KP's ceiling also looks attainable as he has great size, good mobility and some skills. Bulking up and getting used to the NBA speed will be his biggest needs whereas guys like Winslow, WCS and Mudiay need to develop shooting touch which can be improved but we're talking about guys who shoot around 50% from the FT line which usually isn't a great sign.
Jarret Jack: “I brought one of my best suits. But looking down at this jersey, it’s just a sense of pride I don’t think I’ve ever felt as a professional. … Nothing in my closet is better than what I have on now."
Mamba Mentality
RealGM
And1: 19,472

Post#1046 » by Mamba Mentality » Fri Jun 26, 2015 11:47 pm

Mylie10 wrote:I think Houston crushed it with Dekker and Harrell....especially where they picked them. Huge substance for such late picks.

They just replaced Chandler parsons with Sam....and Montrez is a total beast of a pick for where he went.

They had the best draft along with Miami (strictly based on the Winslow pick). I see a little bit of Parsons is Dekker as well, and Harrell reminds me of Faried--they both have a similar motor and build.
Quazza
Head Coach
And1: 1,727

Post#1047 » by Quazza » Fri Jul 3, 2015 5:40 am

*not basketball related* but man, crazy day here in my home town.

The coach of my city's biggest sport team (Aussie Rules Football)the Adelaide Crows, was this morning murdered by his son. Stabbed multiple times

eery feel here today all round
KevinMcreynolds wrote:BIG DICK BOB DOIN WORK

KGdaBom wrote:You can go back and read every post I made. Never said one bad thing about one person until Coxy came up with his Vagiclean comment
floppymoose
Senior Mod - Warriors
Senior Mod - Warriors
And1: 15,788

Post#1048 » by floppymoose » Fri Jul 3, 2015 5:55 pm

Wiretap indicated Lakers looking to Rondo.

YESSS!!!!
floppymoose
Senior Mod - Warriors
Senior Mod - Warriors
And1: 15,788

Post#1049 » by floppymoose » Sat Jul 4, 2015 12:23 am

sigh. They were out-stupid'd by the Kings.
Coxy
RealGM
And1: 14,656

Post#1050 » by Coxy » Sat Jul 4, 2015 4:18 am

Quazza wrote:*not basketball related* but man, crazy day here in my home town.

The coach of my city's biggest sport team (Aussie Rules Football)the Adelaide Crows, was this morning murdered by his son. Stabbed multiple times

eery feel here today all round

Dude, can't imagine what it must be like down there in Radelaide right now. I'm hearing "Ice" could have been in the mix Crazy horrible event.

Edit: My post disappeared 1st time I responded to this?? No idea why.
Coxy
RealGM

Post#1051 » by Coxy » Sat Jul 4, 2015 4:19 am

floppymoose wrote:sigh. They were out-stupid'd by the Kings.

Cousins is going to clobber Rondo at some point this season. Book it.
lars_rosenberg
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,741

Post#1052 » by lars_rosenberg » Sat Jul 4, 2015 12:54 pm

turk3d
RealGM
And1: 1,277

Aldridge Spurs with Spurs 

Post#1053 » by turk3d » Sat Jul 4, 2015 9:41 pm

Looks like Aldridge signed with the Spurs for 5 yr max. No link yet.

http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/238609/LaMarcus-Aldridge-Agrees-To-$80M-Max-Contract-With-Spurs
Draymond Green: Exemplifies Warrior Leadership, Hustle, Desire, Versatility, Toughness, fearlessness, Grit, Heart,Team Spirit, Sacrifice
BW32
Lead Assistant
And1: 761

Re: Aldridge Spurs with Spurs 

Post#1054 » by BW32 » Sat Jul 4, 2015 11:06 pm

You can't sign someone else's FA for 5 years, it's 4.
GS Warriors 1
General Manager
And1: 456

Re: Aldridge Spurs with Spurs 

Post#1055 » by GS Warriors 1 » Sat Jul 4, 2015 11:09 pm

Yup, 4/80. Not surprising that he signed with the Spurs, they seemed like the front runners all along.
DreDay
General Manager
And1: 3,212

Post#1056 » by DreDay » Sat Jul 4, 2015 11:47 pm

I'm not scared of LaMarcus Aldridge, I've been on the overrated bandwagon ever since he changed his playstyle to a soft inefficient jump shooter.
Coxy
RealGM

Post#1057 » by Coxy » Sun Jul 5, 2015 1:15 am

Crazy for Portland though. 4 of 5 starters gone in 1 offseason.

I guess Lillard must rub people the wrong way after all.
and1GS
RealGM
And1: 2,726
Location: home of 4x champs, 1x AS starter, supporter of checkbook wins and all-time weakest moves

Post#1058 » by and1GS » Sun Jul 5, 2015 1:35 am

DreDay wrote:I'm not scared of LaMarcus Aldridge, I've been on the overrated bandwagon ever since he changed his playstyle to a soft inefficient jump shooter.

That pussy scored 24 ppg on 47% from the field. Also:

Can't find 2015's chart, but this should be enough to show he's a **** pussy! And he's going to a stupid **** team that won't even know how to utilize a wide bodied, tall PF with a multi-faceted offensive game and the ability to play defense when motivated. Stupid signing, Spurs are ****!!!

****, where's the green font again?
"The dynasty doesn't start with you, it starts after you" :lol: :lol:

KevinMcreynolds wrote:hopefully JK laid some pipe on the strip as well, gotta get those reps in
DreDay
General Manager
And1: 3,212

Post#1059 » by DreDay » Sun Jul 5, 2015 2:03 am

and1GS wrote:
DreDay wrote:I'm not scared of LaMarcus Aldridge, I've been on the overrated bandwagon ever since he changed his playstyle to a soft inefficient jump shooter.

That pussy scored 24 ppg on 47% from the field. Also:

Can't find 2015's chart, but this should be enough to show he's a **** pussy! And he's going to a stupid **** team that won't even know how to utilize a wide bodied, tall PF with a multi-faceted offensive game and the ability to play defense when motivated. Stupid signing, Spurs are ****!!!

****, where's the green font again?

2015 and we're still using FG%? LOL. If Aldridge plays there like he did in Portland, it's not of concern to me. I'd be more worried about the Thunder.
ChuckDurn
Assistant Coach
And1: 789

Around the NBA III 

Post#1060 » by ChuckDurn » Sun Jul 5, 2015 3:42 am

The Spurs got Aldridge, but it cost them at least Splitter, Belinelli, and Baynes, and it might cost them Joseph or Mills as well. They're also still going to be expecting significant production from Duncan, Parker, and Ginobili, as well as Diaw - all of whom are borrowing favors from Father Time.

For a team that depends on continuity and depth, that's a lot of missing and/or old pieces.... If anybody can make them work, it's Popovich, obviously, but I'm not sold that they're going to be the year-long juggernaut that folks seem to be predicting.

Sent from my iPad using RealGM Forums

Return to Golden State Warriors