ImageImageImageImageImage

Around the NBA III

Moderators: Chris Porter's Hair, floppymoose, Sleepy51

Kev_Warrior
Sophomore
And1: 17

Re: Around the NBA III 

Post#421 » by Kev_Warrior » Mon Jul 21, 2014 9:16 pm

Good move from the Pacers. Stuckey for veteran minimum .
Jester_
General Manager
And1: 1,047

Post#422 » by Jester_ » Tue Jul 22, 2014 1:24 am

turk3d wrote:
Jester_ wrote:
turk3d wrote:Kudos for Cuban. So he spent a little more money than perhaps Parsons was worth. But sometimes that's what it takes to stick it to your competitor which is what Cuban did. That was a big blow to the Houston franchise in spite of what Howard might have you believe.

An average third option was a "big blow" to a franchise that can probably get a 3rd superstar next year? Yeah, I'm sure Morey lost a lot of sleep. Cuban is an idiot who just wasted a max on Chandler Parsons. You want to "stick it" to someone? Build a good team and beat them instead of wasting 15 million on Chandler Parsons.

Watch Dallas overtake Houston next year as we likely will as well. Parsons did not have to be lost by Houston. That was a tactical error on Morey's part and what makes it worse, he goes to a competitor.

I'm sure Dallas would do better. But that's irrelevant. They're not winning any rings, and they're all capped out. Meanwhile, Morey is going to have the max to offer Durant and Love.
GQ Hot Dog wrote:Kerr has done more with the least talent available of any coach in the history of the game.
turk3d
RealGM
And1: 1,277

Post#423 » by turk3d » Tue Jul 22, 2014 7:43 am

Jester_ wrote:
turk3d wrote:
Jester_ wrote:
An average third option was a "big blow" to a franchise that can probably get a 3rd superstar next year? Yeah, I'm sure Morey lost a lot of sleep. Cuban is an idiot who just wasted a max on Chandler Parsons. You want to "stick it" to someone? Build a good team and beat them instead of wasting 15 million on Chandler Parsons.

Watch Dallas overtake Houston next year as we likely will as well. Parsons did not have to be lost by Houston. That was a tactical error on Morey's part and what makes it worse, he goes to a competitor.

I'm sure Dallas would do better. But that's irrelevant. They're not winning any rings, and they're all capped out. Meanwhile, Morey is going to have the max to offer Durant and Love.

That's a crapshoot, and there's no guarantees as other teams will have cap as well and he's got one less year of opportunity to win with Dwight. And as a result of this offseasons maneuvers, he's basically going to lose a season which is something I'm sure he did not want. This is a risky business and when you play "high stakes poker" (which is something that's typical of Morey) you can either win or lose. This season I think he lost. Next season? Who knows but I'm sure he's going to try.
Draymond Green: Exemplifies Warrior Leadership, Hustle, Desire, Versatility, Toughness, fearlessness, Grit, Heart,Team Spirit, Sacrifice
Left*My*Heart
RealGM
And1: 641

Post#424 » by Left*My*Heart » Tue Jul 22, 2014 1:02 pm

Jester_ wrote:
turk3d wrote:
Jester_ wrote:

Is Dallas capped out? I haven't seen their cap numbers, but Chandler expires next summer and they re-signed Dirk to a very cap friendly contract. I also expect Monta to opt out of his contract next summer as well, if he plays as well as he did this past season. I don't see the Parsons' contract hurting the Mavs whatsoever.

Morey would have matched the $$$, had the contract not been so restrictive. Parsons was a trade piece to Morey. We will see in the near future what impact Parsons will have and how well Houston does next off season. Players take note on how team's treat their players and Parsons is wasn't happy on how Houston treated him. I don't see Houston attracting Durant and Love supposedly doesn't like Howard at all, so we will see how things play out.
statsman
Analyst
And1: 438

Post#425 » by statsman » Tue Jul 22, 2014 2:41 pm

Left*My*Heart wrote:Is Dallas capped out? I haven't seen their cap numbers, but Chandler expires next summer and they re-signed Dirk to a very cap friendly contract. I also expect Monta to opt out of his contract next summer as well, if he plays as well as he did this past season. I don't see the Parsons' contract hurting the Mavs whatsoever.

Assuming Monta opts in and with the required minimum roster cap holds and a salary cap of $67M for 2014-15, the Mavs would have about $22.5M of cap space. Tyson and BWright are not included in these totals.
turk3d
RealGM

Post#426 » by turk3d » Tue Jul 22, 2014 3:03 pm

statsman wrote:
Left*My*Heart wrote:Is Dallas capped out? I haven't seen their cap numbers, but Chandler expires next summer and they re-signed Dirk to a very cap friendly contract. I also expect Monta to opt out of his contract next summer as well, if he plays as well as he did this past season. I don't see the Parsons' contract hurting the Mavs whatsoever.

Assuming Monta opts in and with the required minimum roster cap holds and a salary cap of $67M for 2014-15, the Mavs would have about $22.5M of cap space. Tyson and BWright are not included in these totals.

So from what you're saying, it looks as though Cuban and the Mavs could be major players in next year FA lottery which doesn't bode too well for the rest of the league. Interesting.
Draymond Green: Exemplifies Warrior Leadership, Hustle, Desire, Versatility, Toughness, fearlessness, Grit, Heart,Team Spirit, Sacrifice
Left*My*Heart
RealGM
And1: 641

Post#427 » by Left*My*Heart » Tue Jul 22, 2014 4:12 pm

I'm on the fence regarding Morey as a GM. Don't get me wrong, I think he has a truly innovative approach to building a roster and is very cutting edge in his thinking. However, he is going on his 8th season and the Rockets have been to the playoffs 3 times and have won one series in his 7 seasons as GM. Yes, he didn't have a lot when he got there and he has the ability to make a splash next off season, but how long is the front office going to hold out for Morey to build that championship?
ChuckDurn
Assistant Coach
And1: 789

Post#428 » by ChuckDurn » Tue Jul 22, 2014 9:34 pm

turk3d wrote:
statsman wrote:

So from what you're saying, it looks as though Cuban and the Mavs could be major players in next year FA lottery which doesn't bode too well for the rest of the league. Interesting.

I haven't validated this, but assuming it's correct, Cuban will have a clear target: Marc Gasol. Chandler and Wright are their current centers, they drop off, and Gasol is in. Could be an interesting off-season.
If I don't have anything funny to say, can I still have a signature?
turk3d
RealGM

Post#429 » by turk3d » Tue Jul 22, 2014 9:41 pm

Left*My*Heart wrote:I'm on the fence regarding Morey as a GM. Don't get me wrong, I think he has a truly innovative approach to building a roster and is very cutting edge in his thinking. However, he is going on his 8th season and the Rockets have been to the playoffs 3 times and have won one series in his 7 seasons as GM. Yes, he didn't have a lot when he got there and he has the ability to make a splash next off season, but how long is the front office going to hold out for Morey to build that championship?

I think that's where stats may fail. When it comes down to playoffs, the stats people pretty much throw out the small sample sizes available in head-to-head matchup which most likely will give you a better picture as to how you should set up your defense against your opponents. That's basically all you have really.
Kev_Warrior
Sophomore
And1: 17

Post#430 » by Kev_Warrior » Thu Jul 24, 2014 10:03 am

Dallas really put a good team together.

We need to watch out.
KevinMcreynolds
RealGM
And1: 3,337

Post#431 » by KevinMcreynolds » Thu Jul 24, 2014 5:12 pm

Kev_Warrior wrote:Dallas really put a good team together.

We need to watch out.

Meh

Monta and Harris is a terrible backcourt, Tyson fell off last year, and their bench is atrocious.
floppymoose wrote:Too much Vlad. Sixers can't handle it. Solid gold.

"I'm a big proponent of footwork. Believe me." ~Jim Barnett
turk3d
RealGM

Post#432 » by turk3d » Fri Jul 25, 2014 12:59 am

More importantly, I think that Cuban has managed to disrupt Houston a bit:

http://espn.go.com/dallas/nba/story/_/i ... rnerstones

That's going to be quite a matchup when they play each other next year. Vying for the state of Texas.
whocurrz
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,453

Post#433 » by whocurrz » Fri Jul 25, 2014 2:59 am

As if he wasn't enough of a beast already look at Anthony Davis now. If they stay healthy Pelicans could definitely swoop a playoff spot next year.
Jarret Jack: “I brought one of my best suits. But looking down at this jersey, it’s just a sense of pride I don’t think I’ve ever felt as a professional. … Nothing in my closet is better than what I have on now."
shazam_guy
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,136

Post#434 » by shazam_guy » Fri Jul 25, 2014 3:35 am

Mylie10
RealGM
And1: 9,612

Post#435 » by Mylie10 » Fri Jul 25, 2014 7:00 pm

About time the Lakers hired Byron Scott.

Seems like Kupchack is an extreme dunce. I'd be really pissed if he were our GM. Buss junior is a joke. I do like the hiring of Scott, but what the Hell took them so long? Might have cost them some decent free agents.
Khoee wrote “
Mav_Carter wrote: my list doesn't matter...I'm pretty much wrong on everything...
Jester_
General Manager
And1: 1,047

Post#436 » by Jester_ » Sat Jul 26, 2014 11:24 am

whocurrz wrote:Image

As if he wasn't enough of a beast already look at Anthony Davis now. If they stay healthy Pelicans could definitely swoop a playoff spot next year.

I feel bad for Durant, because as soon as LeBron's game starts to degrade, AD will start to hit his prime. KD is destined for "always second".
GQ Hot Dog wrote:Kerr has done more with the least talent available of any coach in the history of the game.
turk3d
RealGM

Post#437 » by turk3d » Sat Jul 26, 2014 2:30 pm

Lakers to make Boozer their starting SF (wtf, are they crazy)?

http://www.latimes.com/sports/lakers/la ... story.html

The Lakers officially introduced Carlos Boozer by revealing they didn't think they would get him in the first place.

They submitted a bid for $3.25 million after he was waived by Chicago via the amnesty provision last week.

"Fortunately for us and unexpectedly for us, our bid was the highest bid. Not for a second did we think that he'd be available to us," Lakers General Manager Mitch Kupchak said Friday.

Boozer, 32, was working out when his agent, Rob Pelinka, called to say the Lakers had won his rights.

"I was ecstatic and I was jumping up and down," Boozer said. "I went back out there and got two more hours in."

He wasn't so thrilled toward the end of last season with the Bulls when he was playing only the first and third quarters of games. He finished with averages of 13.7 points and 8.3 rebounds, his lowest since his rookie season with Cleveland in 2002-03.

"Not having a chance to help my team at the end of the game to win was tough. Not getting the opportunity was humbling," he said. "I learned a lot from that process."

Boozer is penciled in as the Lakers' starting small forward. He will be in the final year of his contract and will be paid $13.5 million by the Bulls.

As per terms of the amnesty provision, the Lakers cannot trade Boozer. He will be a free agent next July.

"Personally, I know he's going to have a great year this year and at his age, there's no reason why he can't play three, four or five more years," Kupchak said.
Coxy
RealGM
And1: 14,661

Post#438 » by Coxy » Sun Jul 27, 2014 12:04 am

Was just watching some of the summer league highlights of Nerlons Noel. I remember thinking to myself that he looked a combination of Pippen and Garnett, but watching him just now made me think that he could be the next Shawn Kemp (When in Seattle that is).

Anyone else see some of the Reign Man in Noel?
whocurrz
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,453

Post#439 » by whocurrz » Tue Jul 29, 2014 9:00 pm

Anyone read the Zach Lowe article on Kyle Korver that the WT headline is referring to?

Nets sold Korvers draft rights to pay summer league fees and buy a new copy machine!?!? That is some Cohan-esque stuff right there
Jarret Jack: “I brought one of my best suits. But looking down at this jersey, it’s just a sense of pride I don’t think I’ve ever felt as a professional. … Nothing in my closet is better than what I have on now."
Coxy
RealGM
And1: 14,661

Post#440 » by Coxy » Thu Jul 31, 2014 7:40 am

whocurrz wrote:Anyone read the Zach Lowe article on Kyle Korver that the WT headline is referring to?

Nets sold Korvers draft rights to pay summer league fees and buy a new copy machine!?!? That is some Cohan-esque stuff right there

If it was this blinged up bad ass gold copy machinator, then selling Kyle Korver was worth it.

Return to Golden State Warriors