ImageImageImageImageImage

Trade Thread (TRADE WARS EPISODE IV: A NEW HOPE)

Moderators: Chris Porter's Hair, floppymoose, Sleepy51

FNQ
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 20,006

Re: Trade Thread (TRADE WARS EPISODE IV: A NEW HOPE) 

Post#1201 » by FNQ » Mon May 18, 2015 10:51 pm

If we're targeting a Gasol, it should be Pau, not Marc. If we're being realistic, anyways. Marc Gasol is likely to stay in MEM if they max him, and likely to go to San Antonio if they don't.

A deal like Speights/Ezeli/Rush/1st for Pau might make sense for us.
lars_rosenberg
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,741

Post#1202 » by lars_rosenberg » Mon May 18, 2015 11:57 pm

Pau is a PF, we already have Draymond.
The starting 5 is going to be the same next year.
The priority is trading David Lee and find a replacement for Barbosa if he finds a better contract elsewhere.
We're pretty much set in all other roles:
Curry / Livingston.
Thompson / Holiday / free agent or drafted rookie.
Barnes / Iguodala.
Green / Speights / McAdoo.
Bogut / Ezeli.
migya
Head Coach
And1: 1,336

Post#1203 » by migya » Tue May 19, 2015 3:45 am

mvpshaq32 wrote:Marc's projected max contract is $20m, so can the Grizz do a sign-and-trade for Lee(15.5) + Barnes(3.8)?

If I understand my CBA correctly, Barnes will be a RFA in 2016-2017 if Memphis extends a QO and thus can match any offer made for Barnes which I think should be around $15-18m. Marc is already 30 and needs to be on a championship team now and if Marc doesn't see himself staying in Memphis, then Memphis won't lose him for nothing.

No way Gasol wouldn't be enticed by at least 2 chips plus more once we lock up Curry again

MGasol himself is 30 years old, same as Bogut, but he hasn't had the injuries Bogut has had. Think MGasol is the most effective Center in the nba and makes his team win much, as can be seen last season by Memphis being about 50% the first half of the season when he was injured and flying home when he got back. Since Bogut only plays 23/24mins anyway a rotation of MGasol, Bogut, Green and Speights at PF and C, with Green playing some SF, would work. MGasol, wouldn't get more than 30mins on average and Lee would have to be traded in such a scenario. Definitely unlikely but MGasol is a big that would help keep the team near the top for a few more years. Saying that, don't think Memphis would want Lee, they'd want Bogut and Barnes and though that may seem even for what all those players give, having Iguodala starting at SF would be good but the team would have to get a good backup for him otherwise all of a sudden they are thin at that position and somewhat in total off the bench.

Think San Antonio will go hard for him and so they should, he'd fit well there.
mvpshaq32
Starter
And1: 2,265

Post#1204 » by mvpshaq32 » Tue May 19, 2015 4:45 am

FNQ wrote:If we're targeting a Gasol, it should be Pau, not Marc. If we're being realistic, anyways. Marc Gasol is likely to stay in MEM if they max him, and likely to go to San Antonio if they don't.

And have him get crippled during the playoffs? No thanks jeff.

migya wrote:
mvpshaq32 wrote:Marc's projected max contract is $20m, so can the Grizz do a sign-and-trade for Lee(15.5) + Barnes(3.8)?

If I understand my CBA correctly, Barnes will be a RFA in 2016-2017 if Memphis extends a QO and thus can match any offer made for Barnes which I think should be around $15-18m. Marc is already 30 and needs to be on a championship team now and if Marc doesn't see himself staying in Memphis, then Memphis won't lose him for nothing.

No way Gasol wouldn't be enticed by at least 2 chips plus more once we lock up Curry again

MGasol himself is 30 years old, same as Bogut, but he hasn't had the injuries Bogut has had. Think MGasol is the most effective Center in the nba and makes his team win much, as can be seen last season by Memphis being about 50% the first half of the season when he was injured and flying home when he got back. Since Bogut only plays 23/24mins anyway a rotation of MGasol, Bogut, Green and Speights at PF and C, with Green playing some SF, would work. MGasol, wouldn't get more than 30mins on average and Lee would have to be traded in such a scenario. Definitely unlikely but MGasol is a big that would help keep the team near the top for a few more years. Saying that, don't think Memphis would want Lee, they'd want Bogut and Barnes and though that may seem even for what all those players give, having Iguodala starting at SF would be good but the team would have to get a good backup for him otherwise all of a sudden they are thin at that position and somewhat in total off the bench.

They'd take Lee for the cap relief for 2016-2017. I doubt Memphis would ever enter tank mode while they still have Conley + Zbo, but realistically, they aren't top contenders next season going in with pretty much the same roster. If they take HB, they build around Conley, HB, Zbo, and hit the FA market hard in 2016 with all their cap space.
lars_rosenberg
Assistant Coach

Post#1205 » by lars_rosenberg » Tue May 19, 2015 11:00 am

migya wrote:

Marc is an unrestricted FA at the end of the season, I don't know if Memphis is in the position to ask for Bogut AND Barnes.
Giving them Bogut + Filler would be enough if Gasol denies their offers and wants to come here.
These playoff are demonstrating that Barnes is an asset for this team, I wouldn't let him walk away so easily.
FNQ
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Re: 

Post#1206 » by FNQ » Tue May 19, 2015 11:11 am

lars_rosenberg wrote:Pau is a PF, we already have Draymond.
The starting 5 is going to be the same next year.
The priority is trading David Lee and find a replacement for Barbosa if he finds a better contract elsewhere.
We're pretty much set in all other roles:
Curry / Livingston.
Thompson / Holiday / free agent or drafted rookie.
Barnes / Iguodala.
Green / Speights / McAdoo.
Bogut / Ezeli.

Pau played more C minutes than PF last year, and is paid like a 6th man, which he would be on this team.
FNQ
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1207 » by FNQ » Tue May 19, 2015 11:17 am

mvpshaq32 wrote:
FNQ wrote:If we're targeting a Gasol, it should be Pau, not Marc. If we're being realistic, anyways. Marc Gasol is likely to stay in MEM if they max him, and likely to go to San Antonio if they don't.

And have him get crippled during the playoffs? No thanks jeff.

migya wrote:

They'd take Lee for the cap relief for 2016-2017. I doubt Memphis would ever enter tank mode while they still have Conley + Zbo, but realistically, they aren't top contenders next season going in with pretty much the same roster. If they take HB, they build around Conley, HB, Zbo, and hit the FA market hard in 2016 with all their cap space.

Pau plays 78 games this season, leads the league in double doubles, pops his hammy and misses 3 games.. And thatd the focus? Ok.

Still a ton more realistic than ever getting Marc Gasol.. At least we know the Bulls are likely to go younger, make changes.
lars_rosenberg
Assistant Coach

Re: Re: 

Post#1208 » by lars_rosenberg » Tue May 19, 2015 11:52 am

FNQ wrote:Pau played more C minutes than PF last year, and is paid like a 6th man, which he would be on this team.

True, he can play C, but his main role is PF. The main problem is his age though.
He's 35 and his contract looks good now, but he could decline quickly. 35 years old is a lot (unless you are Tim Duncan).
I say keep Speights. He's cheaper, younger and you don't have to trade other assets to get him, because he's already in the team.
If you give up 3 young players (Ezeli, Speights and the pick) for a 35 old guy he has to be VERY good. We're already the best team in the league, I don't think we should put us in a bad situation for the future.
FNQ
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1209 » by FNQ » Tue May 19, 2015 3:35 pm

Disagree - in fact a big reason the Pau/Dwight marriage failed is that Pau is not as impactful as a PF as he is a C. Age shouldn't be an issue - like Duncan, Pau has survived because of his high level skillset and + BBIQ. The past 3 years, Pau was better as a C than a PF.. and that jives with RAPM and IMO, the eyeball test. Especially considering how fast the game is played right now.

Pau as a backup to both Green and Bogut does two things - provide us with the best backup C in the league, and give us versatility in the paint. We could go offensive with Green/Speights + Gasol, or we could go huge with Gasol-Bogut.

BTW, Pau still is very good... and the dropoff should be slow considering his skillset. I'd absolutely make the move. Speights is a UFA after next season, and Ezeli's going to be due a contract. Gasol represents a sizeable upgrade to them.
Mylie10
RealGM
And1: 9,612

Post#1210 » by Mylie10 » Tue May 19, 2015 4:00 pm

I love that deal. And I was the one ignoring Love and talking Pau last offseason. You get Pau and just give us the trophy next season too...I mean if we win it this year...tehe
Khoee wrote “
Mav_Carter wrote: my list doesn't matter...I'm pretty much wrong on everything...
Mylie10
RealGM

Post#1211 » by Mylie10 » Tue May 19, 2015 4:06 pm

lars_rosenberg wrote:
FNQ wrote:Pau played more C minutes than PF last year, and is paid like a 6th man, which he would be on this team.

True, he can play C, but his main role is PF. The main problem is his age though.
He's 35 and his contract looks good now, but he could decline quickly. 35 years old is a lot (unless you are Tim Duncan).
I say keep Speights. He's cheaper, younger and you don't have to trade other assets to get him, because he's already in the team.
If you give up 3 young players (Ezeli, Speights and the pick) for a 35 old guy he has to be VERY good. We're already the best team in the league, I don't think we should put us in a bad situation for the future.

We've been hearing about Pau's decline for 5 or 6 years now, yet he was great this season. He played way to many minutes under Thibs, which was great for his statistics, but bad for him long term. He is 35, but I get it. He doesn't rely on athleticism to get his work done, he is extremely skilled and uses his brain to gain advantages. Oh and the Bulls were up 2-1 before Pau went down over the Cavs...just sayin.

For us he'd be the third big....don't put a label on what position he is, but merely revel in the fact that at all times we'd have either Draymond, Bogut, or Pau on the floor. Just think about that for a minute. We would literally always have a solid big in the game, with very little to no drop off. Plus he only makes 7 or 8 mil I believe.

It makes so much sense, that i may start emailing Lacob during the playoffs. Nah....I'll wait.
Khoee wrote “
Mav_Carter wrote: my list doesn't matter...I'm pretty much wrong on everything...
mvpshaq32
Starter

Post#1212 » by mvpshaq32 » Tue May 19, 2015 7:55 pm

FNQ wrote:Pau plays 78 games this season, leads the league in double doubles, pops his hammy and misses 3 games.. And thatd the focus? Ok.

Still a ton more realistic than ever getting Marc Gasol.. At least we know the Bulls are likely to go younger, make changes.

Well if the Bulls would consider your offer for Gasol for even a second, then it's well worth it for us. Realistically if the Bulls want to go younger, I don't think Speights would fit in their plans and a pick that's nearly dead last isn't very attractive. Ezeli is the lone bright spot if they believe in his potential, but I think the Bulls can field much better options than that offer.

I don't see Memphis trading for HB that unrealistic. I'd say it's 40% he decides to leave and if so, HB is a future All-Star that Memphis can build around. Obviously no talks have even remotely surfaced since we're still in the playoffs and HB is doing great for us, but things will escalate quick once the offseason comes.
FNQ
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1213 » by FNQ » Tue May 19, 2015 8:37 pm

mvpshaq32 wrote:
FNQ wrote:Pau plays 78 games this season, leads the league in double doubles, pops his hammy and misses 3 games.. And thatd the focus? Ok.

Well if the Bulls would consider your offer for Gasol for even a second, then it's well worth it for us. Realistically if the Bulls want to go younger, I don't think Speights would fit in their plans and a pick that's nearly dead last isn't very attractive. Ezeli is the lone bright spot if they believe in his potential, but I think the Bulls can field much better options than that offer.

I don't see Memphis trading for HB that unrealistic. I'd say it's 40% he decides to leave and if so, HB is a future All-Star that Memphis can build around. Obviously no talks have even remotely surfaced since we're still in the playoffs and HB is doing great for us, but things will escalate quick once the offseason comes.

I agree its a pittance for Gasol, but how many suitors will the Bulls have? Also, doesn't have to be our 2015 1st. If we dangled a lightly protect '19, it will be far more valuable.

40% decides to leave? I'm pretty sure he has no say in it. Very doubtful that he signs a QO the year the cap goes up exponentially, so at worst he signs an RFA tender that we then can choose to match, or work out a S&T, or match with the intention of trading later that year. Also, can’t imagine anyone sees HB as a future all-star.. but if they somehow do, bleed that team dry. I would happily trade Mo and Barnes to CHI for Pau and Snell, too. I’d probably insist they do something to help our cap situation as a sweetener as well.

But realistically, Marc Gasol isn't coming. Why would MEM deal with us, when more C-starved teams are out there? Even a team like OKC could dangle a big man like Kanter as a primary return piece. The Clippers could offer S&T of Jordan.. not to mention Marc just outright signing with some big name teams (LAL, NYK, SAS). And that's all taking for granted the Grizz re-signing their all-star C, because they can offer him more than anyone else can.
mvpshaq32
Starter

Post#1214 » by mvpshaq32 » Tue May 19, 2015 8:58 pm

FNQ wrote:
mvpshaq32 wrote:

I agree its a pittance for Gasol, but how many suitors will the Bulls have? Also, doesn't have to be our 2015 1st. If we dangled a lightly protect '19, it will be far more valuable.

40% decides to leave? I'm pretty sure he has no say in it. Very doubtful that he signs a QO the year the cap goes up exponentially, so at worst he signs an RFA tender that we then can choose to match, or work out a S&T, or match with the intention of trading later that year. Also, can’t imagine anyone sees HB as a future all-star.. but if they somehow do, bleed that team dry. I would happily trade Mo and Barnes to CHI for Pau and Snell, too. I’d probably insist they do something to help our cap situation as a sweetener as well.

But realistically, Marc Gasol isn't coming. Why would MEM deal with us, when more C-starved teams are out there? Even a team like OKC could dangle a big man like Kanter as a primary return piece. The Clippers could offer S&T of Jordan.. not to mention Marc just outright signing with some big name teams (LAL, NYK, SAS). And that's all taking for granted the Grizz re-signing their all-star C, because they can offer him more than anyone else can.

He's a UFA so he can do whatever he likes. If he walks, then Memphis loses him for nothing so why not try to negotiate a deal for a S&T? Marc and the Grizzlies have had a good mutual relationship, so I could see Marc doing one last favor for the Grizz to nab a future star.

Idk about you, but HB has the makings of a future All-Star all over him. Confident, smart, great offensive talent, athletic, consistent and his defense is on-par. He could easily average 17-18ppg right now at 22 and we have yet to see his full arsenal. I'd take HB over DJ any day for numerous reasons, especially his overvalued $19m price tag.
FNQ
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1215 » by FNQ » Tue May 19, 2015 9:04 pm

It never happens that way - Gasol doing the Grizzlies a favor. Because he'd be putting his new team in a hole, by giving up assets to acquire him, when they wouldn’t need to.

Barnes has shown well in the playoffs, but again is getting no legitimate resistance. I have no doubt he could score 17-18 nightly. How many shots would he need though? How many possessions would be good shots? How stagnant would the offense be if Barnes was a top 2 offensive option? The guy has lived off of the passing game of the rest of the team.. we saw how it looks when you take that away. It looks like his last year in college without Kendall Marshall, it looks like Mark Jackson’s last year as coach. He needs more talented players getting him shots. And he is not, in any way/shape/form, consistent. Not yet anyways.

Also, I wasn’t suggesting WE trade for Jordan or one of those Cs. I’m suggesting that if the Grizzlies are looking for S&T suitors, there are far better ones than us: like Kanter, DeAndre Jordan, and maybe even the Bulls and Joakim Noah to reunite the brothers. Because those guys are legitimate big men, which are much harder to find than inconsistent swingmen with upside.
mvpshaq32
Starter

Post#1216 » by mvpshaq32 » Tue May 19, 2015 9:23 pm

FNQ wrote:It never happens that way - Gasol doing the Grizzlies a favor. Because he'd be putting his new team in a hole, by giving up assets to acquire him, when they wouldn’t need to.

Barnes has shown well in the playoffs, but again is getting no legitimate resistance. I have no doubt he could score 17-18 nightly. How many shots would he need though? How many possessions would be good shots? How stagnant would the offense be if Barnes was a top 2 offensive option? The guy has lived off of the passing game of the rest of the team.. we saw how it looks when you take that away. It looks like his last year in college without Kendall Marshall, it looks like Mark Jackson’s last year as coach. He needs more talented players getting him shots. And he is not, in any way/shape/form, consistent. Not yet anyways.

Also, I wasn’t suggesting WE trade for Jordan or one of those Cs. I’m suggesting that if the Grizzlies are looking for S&T suitors, there are far better ones than us: like Kanter, DeAndre Jordan, and maybe even the Bulls and Joakim Noah to reunite the brothers. Because those guys are legitimate big men, which are much harder to find than inconsistent swingmen with upside.

10ppg on 8 shots/game at 48% shooting is pretty consistent to me. Agreed, he wasn't all that special under MJ, but I let it slide for him being 21.

I wasn't proposing we trading for those guys either. that was options for Memphis.

Kanter? Direct position downgrade in all aspects versus Gasol. Clear chemistry problems amongst his former team which I peg as selfish behavior on Kanter
DJ? I don't see that fit at all in Memphis especially with his limited offensive skills. As if Memphis needed more people who can't score.
Joakim? Memphis will be lucky to average 70ppg for the season.
FNQ
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1217 » by FNQ » Wed May 20, 2015 3:31 pm

Hang on... 10/8 is consistent in an offense that gives him tons of open looks.. and the Grizzlies will prefer that to a defensive C.. why?

Kanter btw is a better scorer and rebounder than MGasol. The behavioral issues are likely legit though.

DJ just needs a quality PG, and Conley is that. Complements Z-Bo well.

Ditto Noah. And Noah can pass, and run the offense from the high block as well.

I think you are putting blinders on to get the guy you want - MGasol - here. But I'm pretty confident in saying the Grizzlies would take a big man over Barnes rather easily considering their poor depth at C, and considering how much easier it is to find a SF. It's also predicated on Barnes becoming an all-star, which I don't think is a solid bet either.
giberish
RealGM
And1: 5,832

Post#1218 » by giberish » Wed May 20, 2015 4:07 pm

lars_rosenberg wrote:

Did Pau play a single minute at PF this year?? It sure looked like Noah was the PF when they played together, and obviously he was the C with Gibson or Mirotic. He was a C only last year as well, and looked out of position playing PF next to Howard. He's been too slow to be anything but a C for years.

Of course there are bigger issues, such as wanting to keep some cheap youth around and Chicago valuing him way more than what GS can plausibly give.
Mylie10
RealGM

Post#1219 » by Mylie10 » Wed May 20, 2015 4:19 pm

I don't understand why so many get hung up on PF versus Center when talking about certain good big guys. Who cares, because you want the skill set on the floor. Plus Pau is a good team defender. Occasionally can rim protect. Great passer.

If Chicago wants to completely re-tool, then they should be open to dealing Pau for assets. There's also rumors that Rose and Butler aren't getting along. Upheaval in Chicago this off season will be a big story.
Khoee wrote “
mvpshaq32
Starter

Post#1220 » by mvpshaq32 » Wed May 20, 2015 6:39 pm

FNQ wrote:Hang on... 10/8 is consistent in an offense that gives him tons of open looks.. and the Grizzlies will prefer that to a defensive C.. why?

Kanter btw is a better scorer and rebounder than MGasol. The behavioral issues are likely legit though.

DJ just needs a quality PG, and Conley is that. Complements Z-Bo well.

Ditto Noah. And Noah can pass, and run the offense from the high block as well.

I think you are putting blinders on to get the guy you want - MGasol - here. But I'm pretty confident in saying the Grizzlies would take a big man over Barnes rather easily considering their poor depth at C, and considering how much easier it is to find a SF. It's also predicated on Barnes becoming an all-star, which I don't think is a solid bet either.

I see you left out the 48% shooting. If that's not consistent, you must have really high standards. Considering their offense where everyone gets the opportunity to score, 10ppg on 8 shots isn't bad at all.

Of course I want Gasol, but straight up comparing Barnes to those 3 players, I'd take Barnes as the player I want to build around.

I'll give the rebounding edge to Kanter. As a scorer, ehhh it's inflated since he played while KD and Serge were out. Gasol is a better passer, can play the pinch post and create for others, so Kanter is a step down overall offensively. Plus his defense is nowhere near Gasol's level. I don't see why you would pair Zbo and Kanter together since they pretty much do the same thing and teams would just PnR them to death.

DJ I can understand, but again, his price tag makes it not worth it at all to me. I feel he has hit his peak with Chris Paul and if this is his ceiling offensively and mentally, then HB will overtake that in a few years.

Noah doesn't fill the needs of Memphis as much as Barnes does. Plus he's 30 years old.

Return to Golden State Warriors