OT: Raiders least desirable team to play for

Moderator: HMFFL

and1GS
RealGM
And1: 2,726
Location: home of 4x champs, 1x AS starter, supporter of checkbook wins and all-time weakest moves

Re: OT: Raiders least desirable team to play for 

Post#521 » by and1GS » Sun Nov 23, 2014 3:34 am

Ha, yup, meant Return of the Mack. My phone auto-corrects Khalif to Khalil and vice versa fairly often.

Regarding Murray, I understand his size and skillset are tantalizing, but we've seen two good games from him with 14 career rush attempts. 14! It's a lot of pressure to put the full job on him right now and I think he needs to split time with somebody decent at least until he gets his feet wet. Whether that's a third down pass pro/pass catching back or another early down guy who he can rotate series with, he just needs to not have the full burden--and full injury possibility--of being the everydown back in this Raiders offense. Not yet at least.

Bring in a Travaris Cadet or something and use him in obvious passing downs when Murray needs a rest. Regardless, McFadden is clearly not a fit and MJD has looked like a corpse.
"The dynasty doesn't start with you, it starts after you" :lol: :lol:

KevinMcreynolds wrote:hopefully JK laid some pipe on the strip as well, gotta get those reps in
FNQ
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 20,007

Post#522 » by FNQ » Mon Nov 24, 2014 12:15 am

Definitely need a 2nd back, all teams do really. But Murray can clearly be a lead back based on his athleticism and vision. Can catch pretty well too.. excited about him.

Also, the Raiders 2014 draft has been voted the best on NFL.com... with Hayden and Moore rounding into form, and now Murray looking like a piece moving forward, McGee at worst looking like a rotational DT, and Brice Butler has shown some flashes, though I doubt he ever makes it past #3 without an injury opportunity or huge training camp.

Some very, very good drafting the past 2 years. I say we get Reggie's advice on drafting for next year, can him, and bring in an influential name who might be able to bring in quality FA talent at a reasonable price. Specifically someone who's done well at identifying OL talent, where we need the most help.

Shore up the OL, bring in some pass catchers, find a legitimate MLB (FTR, the 9ers have quite a few who are paid very well, and you can't play 3)... and we can take a big step forward next season, with our eyes on the 2016 division crown
Twinkie defense
RealGM
And1: 1,082

Post#523 » by Twinkie defense » Mon Nov 24, 2014 7:25 pm

2014 was a good draft, but let's be real, it could have been crowdsourced. Is there anyone here who would have passed on Mack and Carr? It's not like Reggie had to maneuver to get those guys - they fell into our laps.
FNQ
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#524 » by FNQ » Mon Nov 24, 2014 7:36 pm

Mack was so obviously the best rookie that 5 teams passed on drafting him, 3 of which had huge OLB needs. But anything to talk down Reggie, because drafting in retrospect is very easy, and busts are rare.

Lol I'd say it's unbelievable that a Raider fan would go to such lengths to disqualify our first quality drafting in over a decade, but its become clear you'd rather have your take hating Reggie be right over our picks actually do well. Welp, at least its an improvement from the prior claim that we're worse off, everything he's done sucks... Move those goalposts.
Quake Griffin
RealGM
And1: 4,640

Post#525 » by Quake Griffin » Thu Nov 27, 2014 6:52 pm

Sucks that we may play ourselves out of the number 1 overall.
and I wanna kick the 49ers' teeth in…so I'm almost pulling for us to not have the #1 overall.

i guess I'm a Jacksonville fan from here on out.
what a [miniature] disaster.
“I’ve always felt that drafting is the life blood of any organization.” - Jerome Alan West.
Twinkie defense
RealGM

Post#526 » by Twinkie defense » Fri Nov 28, 2014 2:14 am

Chris Borland! Reggie needs to find impact guys in the middle rounds, like the Niners are often doing.
510TWSS
General Manager
And1: 2,864

Post#527 » by 510TWSS » Fri Nov 28, 2014 2:58 am

Quake Griffin wrote:Sucks that we may play ourselves out of the number 1 overall.
and I wanna kick the 49ers' teeth in…so I'm almost pulling for us to not have the #1 overall.

To me it's not a big deal. There's no obvious transcendent talent. Both us and the Jags probably wouldn't go QB anyway. That leaves a trade. While I'd love to facilitate one we can find talent with the picks we got. If we're picking two we can still go for a Leonard or Gregory. If we draft lower than that it opens us up to take cooper, Ray or White who would all be great picks. We could still trade down in the 2nd or 3rd which Reg seems likely to do as he's done it in the past.
Twinkie defense
RealGM

Post#528 » by Twinkie defense » Fri Nov 28, 2014 4:28 am

I'll take two wins, with the second knocking the Niners out of the playoffs, and let the draft spots fall where they may :)
Quake Griffin
RealGM

Post#529 » by Quake Griffin » Fri Nov 28, 2014 6:47 am

510TWSS wrote:
Quake Griffin wrote:Sucks that we may play ourselves out of the number 1 overall.

To me it's not a big deal. There's no obvious transcendent talent. Both us and the Jags probably wouldn't go QB anyway. That leaves a trade. While I'd love to facilitate one we can find talent with the picks we got. If we're picking two we can still go for a Leonard or Gregory. If we draft lower than that it opens us up to take cooper, Ray or White who would all be great picks. We could still trade down in the 2nd or 3rd which Reg seems likely to do as he's done it in the past.

I think the 1st pick can yield us a top 5 pick in this draft and a potential top 5 pick in the 2016 draft.
we "lose" out on the #1 but take almost no hit because we have our QB of the future.

anything lower I think can just yield us more picks….which is good….but not as good as picking high end talent.
“I’ve always felt that drafting is the life blood of any organization.” - Jerome Alan West.
510TWSS
General Manager
And1: 2,864

Post#530 » by 510TWSS » Fri Nov 28, 2014 7:36 am

Quake Griffin wrote:
510TWSS wrote:

I think the 1st pick can yield us a top 5 pick in this draft and a potential top 5 pick in the 2016 draft.
we "lose" out on the #1 but take almost no hit because we have our QB of the future.

anything lower I think can just yield us more picks….which is good….but not as good as picking high end talent.

I agree with what you wrote. I was just saying if we do end up missing out on the #1 overall, as long as we're picking in the top 5 we'll get a chance to draft a blue chip guy.

I think some teams may be hesitant to give up two 1st rounders for Winston or Mariota. Maybe a team like Philly would but they'd be picking so late. Maybe the Jets cause they typically do shortsighted personnel moves or the Bucs. Though they may just stick with McCown and Glennon. Then there's the Titans who have Mett, but jury is still out and he's a mid round guy.

If we do end up getting the #1 overall, I absolutely trade out of that spot and let someone else take the QB or whomever. Ideally I'd like to stay in the top 5 and get the best WR or BPA if Cooper/White isn't there.

But who're we kidding, most likely the Jags get the pick. They stink worse than us and their SoS won't be stronger than ours by the end of the year. They're going to have to out "win" us to drop below us again. :lol:
FNQ
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#531 » by FNQ » Fri Nov 28, 2014 5:09 pm

Twinkie defense wrote:Chris Borland! Reggie needs to find impact guys in the middle rounds, like the Niners are often doing.

Lol

Doesnt hurt when you have 12 picks in rounds 3-5 the past two years. But if Baalke were Reggie, this thread would be about Reid, Tank Carradine, Vance mcDonald, Marcus Lattimore, Quinton Patton, Quinton Dial, BJ Daniels, Nick Moody, Carter Bykowski, Jimmie Ward, Marcus Martin, Brandon Thomas, Bruce Ellington, Dontae Thompson, kyle Reiser, Kenneth Acker.

Fair and balanced like Fox News in here
East Bay Sports
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,559

Post#532 » by East Bay Sports » Fri Nov 28, 2014 6:10 pm

Am I the only one not sold on Carr being the answer at QB? He is looking like a bright spot in a diabolical offense, but that doesn't make him the franchise.

If we don't take a long hard look at Mariota and Winston we are doing ourselves a major league disservice.
azwfan
RealGM
And1: 3,745

Post#533 » by azwfan » Fri Nov 28, 2014 6:40 pm

I don't know about being Raiders being least desirable to play for, but the Niners gotta be the least desirable to watch.
LF75 wrote: It was a dumb idea..And yes I'm a dick.
FNQ
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#534 » by FNQ » Fri Nov 28, 2014 7:31 pm

East Bay Sports wrote:Am I the only one not sold on Carr being the answer at QB? He is looking like a bright spot in a diabolical offense, but that doesn't make him the franchise.

If we don't take a long hard look at Mariota and Winston we are doing ourselves a major league disservice.

Of course its not set in stone.

However if Carr is even passable, that leaves plenty of other positions to address, that aren't. The Raiders could easily move down and address multiple positions. If Reggie's in charge of the draft, that's what I'd like to see. Accrue more solid talent.

Like I've said all along, our trajectory puts on the playoff map in 2016. 2015 if we land a good coach and a GM that's willing to spend more in free agency, but I'd be willing to pardon Reggie on that as we've been trying to find the best schemes for our good young players. I'd feel more comfortable with a GM that had experience in that route.
Quake Griffin
RealGM

Post#535 » by Quake Griffin » Fri Nov 28, 2014 10:11 pm

I think Carr has earned the right to be under center in 2015.

we have a good chance to round out other parts of our roster with this pick and using it to trade down….I wouldn't want to waste it chasing any QB who isn't a Luck or Elway level prospect.
RoyalMajesty
Banned User
And1: 1,278

Post#536 » by RoyalMajesty » Fri Nov 28, 2014 11:20 pm

FireNellieQuick wrote:
East Bay Sports wrote:Am I the only one not sold on Carr being the answer at QB? He is looking like a bright spot in a diabolical offense, but that doesn't make him the franchise.

Of course its not set in stone.

However if Carr is even passable, that leaves plenty of other positions to address, that aren't. The Raiders could easily move down and address multiple positions. If Reggie's in charge of the draft, that's what I'd like to see. Accrue more solid talent.

Like I've said all along, our trajectory puts on the playoff map in 2016. 2015 if we land a good coach and a GM that's willing to spend more in free agency, but I'd be willing to pardon Reggie on that as we've been trying to find the best schemes for our good young players. I'd feel more comfortable with a GM that had experience in that route.

WHATTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTtttttttttttttttttttttttttttttt!

Let me get this straight. You want a new GM after 20 something pages of you defending McKenzie?
RoyalMajesty
Banned User
And1: 1,278

Post#537 » by RoyalMajesty » Fri Nov 28, 2014 11:22 pm

azwfan wrote:I don't know about being Raiders being least desirable to play for, but the Niners gotta be the least desirable to watch.

I wonder what's going to happen with Jim Harbaugh. It looks like this might be his last season with the 49ers.
turk3d
RealGM
And1: 1,277

Post#538 » by turk3d » Fri Nov 28, 2014 11:46 pm

RoyalMajesty wrote:
azwfan wrote:I don't know about being Raiders being least desirable to play for, but the Niners gotta be the least desirable to watch.

I wonder what's going to happen with Jim Harbaugh. It looks like this might be his last season with the 49ers.

Harbitch should be fired. They've lost every game they've lost just about due to his playcalling and bitchball tactics. I feel sorry for the players. You can't blame. The efforts been there all season. As bad as this may sound, I'm finding that watching the Raiders is more bearable than watching them. Sick of Run, Run, 3 yard pass every series and hope your defense is good enough to keep it close.
Draymond Green: Exemplifies Warrior Leadership, Hustle, Desire, Versatility, Toughness, fearlessness, Grit, Heart,Team Spirit, Sacrifice
Twinkie defense
RealGM

Post#539 » by Twinkie defense » Sat Nov 29, 2014 2:14 am

I would gladly take Harbaugh - just have to wait until he's fired and not give up picks.
Quake Griffin
RealGM

Post#540 » by Quake Griffin » Sat Nov 29, 2014 5:50 pm

Twinkie defense wrote:I would gladly take Harbaugh - just have to wait until he's fired and not give up picks.

What is his beef with the 49ers?
he wants control?

Baalke's given him a very talented team to work with.

Return to Las Vegas Raiders