OT: Raiders least desirable team to play for

Moderator: HMFFL

runtmc91
Junior
And1: 148

Re: OT: Raiders least desirable team to play for 

Post#321 » by runtmc91 » Mon Oct 27, 2014 4:01 pm

Twinkie defense wrote:Oftentimes Carrie has looked to be the more impactful rookie to Mack.

:lol: just, wow
Twinkie defense
RealGM
And1: 1,082

Post#322 » by Twinkie defense » Mon Oct 27, 2014 5:56 pm

You don't like TJ Carrie? Yesterday wasn't his best game to date but generally he's been a real find - on special teams and in the secondary. Mack is averaging five tackles per game and doesn't have a sack. I'm not saying he sucks but for a guy picked that high in the draft, and whom some said was the best player in the draft, I don't think that's what you're paying for. We need a guy who is making hay in the opposing backfield. This only reinforces for me that Reggie does better finding unexpected contributors in the 6th, 7th rounds and as undrafted players, but has a hard time finding difference makers with our high picks.

Carrie, despite not starting, has an INT, two fumble recoveries, a 38 yard kick return, plus another game-breaking return that got called back. This for a seventh round pick. Who is a better corner, T.J. Carrie or D.J. Hayden? I think that is an open question.
FNQ
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 20,006

Post#323 » by FNQ » Mon Oct 27, 2014 6:36 pm

Carrie's fine. Calling him better than Mack, by any stretch, is ridiculous. Mack has been one of the BEST run stuffing linebackers in the NFL. On a team that doesn't open many gaps up front, that's incredible. Also among the leaders in hurries and QB hits. Like I already posted - Mack has been the most impactful rookie in the league. He's played with a poor front 7 - none of our front 7 outside of Mack/Moore are in the top half of the league.

Pro Football Focus wrote:Khalil Mack, OLB: +7.1

Breakdown: Seems like we are praising Mack on a weekly basis, but he deserves it. He’s a game-changer in the running game and that was evident just by watching the Browns tight ends trying to block him. More often than not, they were knocked a few yards into the backfield, leaving the running back with little room to run and Mack with one of this team-high six stops. He also had two hits and four hurries on 24 rushes.

Signature Plays: It’s Mack’s power in the running game that shows up every week. Whether it was his domination of TE Jordan Cameron at the 6:51 mark of the first quarter or his blowing up the Browns’ toss play by manhandling TE Jim Dray with 8:13 to go in the third quarter, Mack was living in the Cleveland backfield all afternoon.

Too bad he's not a game-changer, also racking up sacks while being the best run-defending OLB in the game in his first half season.

It is an open question right now. Kind of. Carrie is playing in the slot, and projects there. He might be able to play outside well, but its doubtful considering his measureables. Hayden OTOH is only given the outside, and never the easier slot. So again, the more details you look at, the less meaning the initial statement has. Too general.
FNQ
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#324 » by FNQ » Mon Oct 27, 2014 6:38 pm

Also congrats to Lamaar Houston for his 1st non Raider sack.. not only did it give the top 7 paid DE his 1st sack of the year, it also vaulted him just *barely* into the top half of qualified 4-3 DEs. Of which there are 53, of which he is a top-3 paid DE.

And while I'm doing that, condolences to Lamaar Houston for tearing his right ACL while celebrating said sack of backup QB Jimmy Garropolo in garbage time of the 4th quarter while the Bears were down 25.
runtmc91
Junior
And1: 148

Post#325 » by runtmc91 » Mon Oct 27, 2014 8:49 pm

It's gonna be hard for Mack to get sacks when the corners can't cover and none of the other lineman are getting any push up front. If you watch him play instead of just reading stats, you'll see that he's constantly causing disruption. If anybody else on the defense besides Carrie or Woodson could actually do their job he'd shine even more. As it is, he's been the best player out of the draft so far this season. A great find.
Twinkie defense
RealGM

Post#326 » by Twinkie defense » Mon Oct 27, 2014 8:50 pm

FireNellieQuick wrote:Carrie's fine. Calling him better than Mack, by any stretch, is ridiculous. Mack has been one of the BEST run stuffing linebackers in the NFL. On a team that doesn't open many gaps up front, that's incredible. Also among the leaders in hurries and QB hits. Like I already posted - Mack has been the most impactful rookie in the league. He's played with a poor front 7 - none of our front 7 outside of Mack/Moore are in the top half of the league

I didn't say Carrie was better than Mack, I said oftentimes he looks more impactful. Sacks, INTs, causing fumbles and fumble recoveries, stuffs - these are impactful plays. Holding an RB to a short gain is great, but that's not why you draft someone at #5 overall. You pick someone #5 overall to be a game changer.
Twinkie defense
RealGM

Post#327 » by Twinkie defense » Mon Oct 27, 2014 9:02 pm

Houston accounts $5 mil towards the cap - that's Austin Howard money. I think he was $3 mil last year. The Raiders have a horrible defense - worse than the Bears. And they had an NFL record amount of cap space. If you want to say we can't tie up guys to long term contracts, fine (though a patchwork of one and two year contract players obviously does not make a good team). We also didn't use any franchise tag. We could have franchised Veldheer or Houston, get another year to evaluate, improve in the trenches, and the only cost is Mark Davis' pocketbook, and no long-term ramifications. Also you're ignoring Tommy Kelly and Matt Shaunessy - I know that's convenient because of Houston's injury, but at least he's gotten a sack. Raiders could use more sacks.

The injury was unfortunate but routine. Every single defensive player celebrates after a sack or other big play. Score doesn't matter. Houston is just unlucky. I'm sure you are not advocating that players don't celebrate their big plays?
FNQ
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#328 » by FNQ » Tue Oct 28, 2014 12:58 am

Twinkie defense wrote:
FireNellieQuick wrote:Carrie's fine. Calling him better than Mack, by any stretch, is ridiculous. Mack has been one of the BEST run stuffing linebackers in the NFL. On a team that doesn't open many gaps up front, that's incredible. Also among the leaders in hurries and QB hits. Like I already posted - Mack has been the most impactful rookie in the league. He's played with a poor front 7 - none of our front 7 outside of Mack/Moore are in the top half of the league

I didn't say Carrie was better than Mack, I said oftentimes he looks more impactful. Sacks, INTs, causing fumbles and fumble recoveries, stuffs - these are impactful plays. Holding an RB to a short gain is great, but that's not why you draft someone at #5 overall. You pick someone #5 overall to be a game changer.

Impactful like being a top ground LB while being in the top 5 in hits and QB hurries?

BTW, Houston got 15m gtd and needs to be on the roster for 3 years (or else is 9+M in dead cap money). For a guy who's grading out average among 4-3 DEs, thats a massive overpay.

I have no idea why Kelly's name comes up: he was a cap casualty long ago, and there was no getting around it. Ditto Shaughnessy-IR. Neither of whom have done much since leaving anyways. The only legitimate gripe is franchising Veldheer (never, ever Houston) and paying a slightly above average LT top 5 money. Instead Reggie tried to ink a guy who he thought was his LT for the next few years in Saffold, then nixed it due to the shoulder (the same one Saffold injured this past week). All in all, it worked out for us since Donald Penn is actually outperforming the 3. Though a case can be made that Penn benefits from Carr's saavy versus Veldheer having to deal with Drew Stanton for 3 weeks. If that is the case, Veldheer should have no problem making up the ground. He won't, but its a good talking point for those still stuck on Veldheer, as if a quality LT would change anything. Since we have one now.

:lol: at celebrating a sack in garbage time against a backup QB, down 25. That's not a big play. That's garbage time stat stuffing to make your boxscore look good. Houston is excellent at that. Well, he was.
FNQ
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#329 » by FNQ » Tue Oct 28, 2014 1:01 am

runtmc91 wrote:It's gonna be hard for Mack to get sacks when the corners can't cover and none of the other lineman are getting any push up front. If you watch him play instead of just reading stats, you'll see that he's constantly causing disruption. If anybody else on the defense besides Carrie or Woodson could actually do their job he'd shine even more. As it is, he's been the best player out of the draft so far this season. A great find.

Superstar potential. Maybe someone you could hang your hat on, considering the impact he's had in half a season. People rush to judge rookies so fast. This group may have tried to bench Peyton Manning after '98.
turk3d
RealGM
And1: 1,277

Post#330 » by turk3d » Tue Oct 28, 2014 4:13 pm

FireNellieQuick wrote:
Twinkie defense wrote:

Impactful like being a top ground LB while being in the top 5 in hits and QB hurries?

BTW, Houston got 15m gtd and needs to be on the roster for 3 years (or else is 9+M in dead cap money). For a guy who's grading out average among 4-3 DEs, thats a massive overpay.

I have no idea why Kelly's name comes up: he was a cap casualty long ago, and there was no getting around it. Ditto Shaughnessy-IR. Neither of whom have done much since leaving anyways. The only legitimate gripe is franchising Veldheer (never, ever Houston) and paying a slightly above average LT top 5 money. Instead Reggie tried to ink a guy who he thought was his LT for the next few years in Saffold, then nixed it due to the shoulder (the same one Saffold injured this past week). All in all, it worked out for us since Donald Penn is actually outperforming the 3. Though a case can be made that Penn benefits from Carr's saavy versus Veldheer having to deal with Drew Stanton for 3 weeks. If that is the case, Veldheer should have no problem making up the ground. He won't, but its a good talking point for those still stuck on Veldheer, as if a quality LT would change anything. Since we have one now.

:lol: at celebrating a sack in garbage time against a backup QB, down 25. That's not a big play. That's garbage time stat stuffing to make your boxscore look good. Houston is excellent at that. Well, he was.

Hey fnq, I'm just asking, not debating with you. What about McClain? He seems to be doing pretty good in Dallas. Was it just a matter of him not having his head screwed on right while in Oakland and now has decided to be a football player? He was absolutely a 0 while here, but was supposedly a pretty good prospect coming out of college. Just wondering.
Draymond Green: Exemplifies Warrior Leadership, Hustle, Desire, Versatility, Toughness, fearlessness, Grit, Heart,Team Spirit, Sacrifice
FNQ
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#331 » by FNQ » Tue Oct 28, 2014 6:53 pm

No idea. Maybe getting arrested changed him? Either way its a whiff by Al, and another bust for us. Glad he's gone though. He was mental
510TWSS
General Manager
And1: 2,863

Post#332 » by 510TWSS » Tue Oct 28, 2014 8:41 pm

I'd say Mack is probably one of the only guys on our roster that has All Pro potential. We'll have to see how Carr develops, but I feel confident in projecting the sacks will come for Mack. Once they do, and he keeps his dominance in the run game (TFL's baby) he will be a monster.

It just sucks cause more often than not, the opposing QB's first read is usually wide open. There's been plenty of times where he's been one foot step away from creaming the QB. He's been held a lot this year but hasn't been called. Fairly routine however for a productive pass rusher.

Yeah, we all wish he'd have gotten his first sack by now. But we got to remember he's still a rookie and to just dominate in the run the way he's doing is very, very impressive. Keep in mind he isn't grading negatively as a pass rusher or in coverage either. He's a complete linebacker.

****, i'm just glad our first rounder isn't a complete bust. We get one performing and we still complain! Haha.
FNQ
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#333 » by FNQ » Tue Oct 28, 2014 9:01 pm

Not only do we have one who's performing, he's performing better than any other rookie in the draft. And last year's draft. But because we didn't draft a finished product JJ Watt with our top pick, he's not impactful? Give me a break..
Twinkie defense
RealGM

Post#334 » by Twinkie defense » Tue Oct 28, 2014 9:38 pm

FireNellieQuick wrote:No idea. Maybe getting arrested changed him? Either way its a whiff by Al, and another bust for us. Glad he's gone though. He was mental

Definitely could have used something out of that pick - but go back, that pick was universally hailed. I'm sure FNQ was saying what a great pick it was at the time. Even during his rookie season he was getting praise.
FNQ
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#335 » by FNQ » Tue Oct 28, 2014 9:44 pm

I did, I loved the pick. Analysts loved the pick too. Much like Drummond/fans, its really hard as fans to discern legitimate mental problems, motor issues, all the stuff behind closed doors that team officials have access to, but fans don't. Ultimately the pick failed, like many of Al's picks did. This one was just a mental matter though, not drafting a player that didn't deserve to be drafted that high. Al was great at finding new, exciting ways to fail in the end.
turk3d
RealGM
And1: 1,277

Post#336 » by turk3d » Tue Oct 28, 2014 9:45 pm

Twinkie defense wrote:
FireNellieQuick wrote:No idea. Maybe getting arrested changed him? Either way its a whiff by Al, and another bust for us. Glad he's gone though. He was mental

Definitely could have used something out of that pick - but go back, that pick was universally hailed. I'm sure FNQ was saying what a great pick it was at the time. Even during his rookie season he was getting praise.

Actually thought I had heard he retired, then see him playing for the Cowboys and apparently quite successfully. Amazing how with some guys a switch gets flicked and they turn things around. :dontknow:

We could have used him ourselves had he not gone off the deep end which resulted in a wasted high 1st round pick.
Draymond Green: Exemplifies Warrior Leadership, Hustle, Desire, Versatility, Toughness, fearlessness, Grit, Heart,Team Spirit, Sacrifice
510TWSS
General Manager
And1: 2,863

Post#337 » by 510TWSS » Tue Oct 28, 2014 10:41 pm

Well, I remember McClain signed with Baltimore, got released and then resigned I believe. Then was traded in the offseason to Dallas. Maybe he was looking good in camp so Jerruh took a calculated gamble. Paid off for him, but I still wouldn't trust Ro to give him another long term contract.
FNQ
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#338 » by FNQ » Tue Oct 28, 2014 10:48 pm

He did retire, but was still under contract with the Ravens. He was put on the reserved/retired list, ensuring his rights still went to the Ravens if/when he returned to football. From what I understand, not sure if it made the media or not, McClain reached out to the Cowboys, his favorite team, to resume his career. He then wanted to unretire and join them, but found the Ravens still had his rights. So the trade was made: McClain + 7th in 2015 for 6th in 2015. Which is a great haul for the Ravens, considering they were going to waive him regardless. But it also explains why the Cowboys had to move down a round to get him.

He's on a one year, entirely ungtd, minimum deal right now with Dallas. Maybe he got his life turned around, and if so, good for him. He was looking like a future multi-time convict.

But then again, f**k him for waiting four years to get his head on straight, and providing more value in return to the Ravens than he did for us.
FNQ
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#339 » by FNQ » Thu Oct 30, 2014 6:53 am

Twinkie defense
RealGM

Post#340 » by Twinkie defense » Sun Nov 2, 2014 10:33 pm

I've been a Raiders fan since I was a kid in the 70's, and this is the worst Raiders team I can remember. Thank god it's basketball season.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using RealGM Forums mobile app
"I'm Decayed"
-Doug Moe, on what he would like on his tombstone

Return to Las Vegas Raiders