Peter Guber is a goober

Moderators: Chris Porter's Hair, floppymoose, Sleepy51

jason bourne
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,602

Re: Peter Guber is a goober 

Post#41 » by jason bourne » Wed Oct 29, 2014 2:00 pm

Onus wrote:
FireNellieQuick wrote:I think it says more about what people want to think about authority figures if they assume he was trying to joke.

An owner would have to be monumentally stupid to crack a joke like that with the Danny Ferry/Donald Sterling situations going. Sending it out as a mass email is begging for someone to take offense. Believe it or not, there are quite a few black employees at W's HQ.

I think its sad that our knee-jerk reaction is to assume the absolute and total worst, always. Try an experiment: type hoodish into your phone via text or some kind of text box. Then type Hiddish. And see what happens.

"hoodish" turns into "hooding" and "hiddish" turns into "his dish" ...

Swahili also gets auto capitalized

this is on an iphone

Also to be honest the D is quite far from the O, pressing it twice. Perhaps if it was hoddish

Lot more to this than meets the eye. I think the players he was referring to were Festus (Swahili), Nedo (Hungarian, btw it's not a language like Australian but okay to use to refer the speaker's language(s)), Kuzmic (Serbian), Bogut (Australian) and I am not sure about Yiddish. That's the part I'm still stumped on. Who is that? Himself?

Typing "hoodish" does make sense if you consider it slang with the other black players, but why would he send that out if he was answering an email seriously. Besides, as already pointed out it's not a word. So the question remains how did it end up on his iPhone's autocorrect?

That said, this thing has been overblown. Let the season begin.
“The most contrarian thing of all is not to oppose the crowd but to think for yourself.” Peter Thiel

ImageImage
Onus
RealGM
And1: 5,236

Post#42 » by Onus » Wed Oct 29, 2014 4:10 pm

Does Festus speak Swahili? I was under the impression he was Nigerian, and Nigeria doesn't speak Swahili. Though they don't really have a national language
Most 4th Quarter Points in Final since 1991
1995 Shaquille O'Neal 11.5
2000 Shaquille O'Neal 11.5 (61.1% TS)
2015 Stephen Curry 10.8 (75.1% TS)
1997 Michael Jordan 10.7 (55.1% TS)
1998 Michael Jordan 10.6 (50.6% TS)
2011 Dirk Nowitzki 10.3 (68.0% TS)
runtmc91
Junior
And1: 148

Post#43 » by runtmc91 » Wed Oct 29, 2014 5:33 pm

hamncheese wrote:Image

needs more love
jason bourne
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,602

Post#44 » by jason bourne » Wed Oct 29, 2014 5:34 pm

Onus wrote:Does Festus speak Swahili? I was under the impression he was Nigerian, and Nigeria doesn't speak Swahili. Though they don't really have a national language

Someone else pointed that out in another thread. I'm not sure what Guber is thinking but I do think he was trying to match players to their languages even if they were approximations. It's more Guber's thought process I am trying to examine instead of being correct in everything. Was he joking or was he being serious? I think he meant it more as a joke and he did mean Yiddish now. If it was serious reply, then he doesn't look too good. Maybe he doesn't talk with the players much as he is based in So Cal.
“The most contrarian thing of all is not to oppose the crowd but to think for yourself.” Peter Thiel

ImageImage
timlin500
Starter
And1: 124

Post#45 » by timlin500 » Wed Oct 29, 2014 8:11 pm

Lol wow I can't believe this is in the news. My friend works for the Warriors, and Guber is known to make tons of typos in his e-mails all the time. Nothing to see here.

Return to Golden State Warriors