Moderators: Chris Porter's Hair, floppymoose, Sleepy51

Sleepy51
Forum Mod - Warriors
Forum Mod - Warriors
And1: 2,321

Peter Guber is a goober 

Post#1 » by Sleepy51 » Tue Oct 28, 2014 8:59 pm

I can't believe this story didn't get posted yet today for laughs,

Guber responded to the email: "I'm taking rosetta stone to learn Hungarian Serbian Australian swahili and hoodish This year. But it's nice."

Guber sent a follow-up email saying, "Someone just brought to my attention that an email I responded to earlier contains the word 'hoodish,' which I don't even think Is a Word, and certainly not the one I intended to use. I intended to type Yiddish. Either my mobile fone autocorrected or it was typed wrong. In any event I regret if anyone was unintendedly offended."

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/11779 ... pany-email

For the record, I think it was an honest mistake and pretty hilarious, but also I have to ask, how did his spellcheck learn the word "hoodish" to begin with?
Jester_ wrote:Can we trade Draymond Green for Grayson Allen?
turk3d
RealGM
And1: 1,277

Re: Peter Guber is a goober 

Post#2 » by turk3d » Tue Oct 28, 2014 9:02 pm

Sleepy51 wrote:I can't believe this story didn't get posted yet today for laughs,

Guber responded to the email: "I'm taking rosetta stone to learn Hungarian Serbian Australian swahili and hoodish This year. But it's nice."

Guber sent a follow-up email saying, "Someone just brought to my attention that an email I responded to earlier contains the word 'hoodish,' which I don't even think Is a Word, and certainly not the one I intended to use. I intended to type Yiddish. Either my mobile fone autocorrected or it was typed wrong. In any event I regret if anyone was unintendedly offended."

For the record, I think it was an honest mistake and pretty hilarious, but also I have to ask, how did his spellcheck learn the word "hoodish" to begin with?

To answer your question, maybe he has his Word set for Jewish. Definitely a silent partner in the Warriors organization. Clears that up. :lol:
Draymond Green: Exemplifies Warrior Leadership, Hustle, Desire, Versatility, Toughness, fearlessness, Grit, Heart,Team Spirit, Sacrifice
ChuckDurn
Assistant Coach
And1: 789

Post#3 » by ChuckDurn » Tue Oct 28, 2014 9:11 pm

Yeah, I've seen a few things that Guber has written / tweeted over the last couple of years, and his command of the language and grammar is really quite shocking for somebody who has accomplished what he has. As in, it's shockingly poor.

I have no doubt that this is an honest mistake, but I likewise was wondering "is hoodish actually a word?" I mean, as I just typed it, I had to go back and fix it when auto-correct (on my browser) automatically changed it to "hoods".....
If I don't have anything funny to say, can I still have a signature?
FNQ
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 20,006

Post#4 » by FNQ » Tue Oct 28, 2014 9:11 pm

I know three things for facts here:

1) "Hoodish" is not built into the apple dictionary, so the word had to come from Guber or someone he texts with. If you read an email with Hoodish in it, the phone cant pick that up.

2) The H and Y are right next to each other. If he meant to type Yiddish, and it comes up Hiddish, its easy to see that flub happening

3) Official basketball is needed, soon.
turk3d
RealGM

Post#5 » by turk3d » Tue Oct 28, 2014 9:18 pm

I always thought it meant somebody from the hood. Is Guber from there?

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=hoodish
Draymond Green: Exemplifies Warrior Leadership, Hustle, Desire, Versatility, Toughness, fearlessness, Grit, Heart,Team Spirit, Sacrifice
Sleepy51
Forum Mod - Warriors
Forum Mod - Warriors

Post#6 » by Sleepy51 » Tue Oct 28, 2014 9:30 pm

And as Bomani pointed out, which player was he planning to kibitz in Yiddish with? We don't have a Jewish or Israeli player on the roster that I know of.
HiRez
RealGM
And1: 3,588

Post#7 » by HiRez » Tue Oct 28, 2014 9:30 pm

"Hoodish"? Fine. "Fone"? Explain that one.
FNQ
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#8 » by FNQ » Tue Oct 28, 2014 9:31 pm

Sleepy51 wrote:And as Bomani pointed out, which player was he planning to kibitz in Yiddish with? We don't have a Jewish or Israeli player on the roster that I know of.

Its a minor language in Serbia, all Eastern European countries dabble in it. I dunno if anyone on our team speaks it, though.

Either way, he was rattling off a bunch of international players when doing it. Now if he dropped Iguodala's name and said hoodish, sure, scandal. But who did he plan on speaking hoodish to? Bogut? Barbosa? Kuz? Nedo? Fez?

I'm honestly more concerned that he said nothing about Portugese, which is what you'd want to speak to Barbosa. Does he not know their primary language?
Onus
RealGM
And1: 5,259

Post#9 » by Onus » Tue Oct 28, 2014 9:33 pm

Does anyone on our team speak Australian or Swahili?
Most 4th Quarter Points in Final since 1991
1995 Shaquille O'Neal 11.5
2000 Shaquille O'Neal 11.5 (61.1% TS)
2015 Stephen Curry 10.8 (75.1% TS)
1997 Michael Jordan 10.7 (55.1% TS)
1998 Michael Jordan 10.6 (50.6% TS)
2011 Dirk Nowitzki 10.3 (68.0% TS)
Coxy
RealGM
And1: 14,661

Post#10 » by Coxy » Tue Oct 28, 2014 9:34 pm

Shouldn't try to learn Australian. Too difficult. Better off learning something easier like ancient Latvian.
Sleepy51
Forum Mod - Warriors
Forum Mod - Warriors

Post#11 » by Sleepy51 » Tue Oct 28, 2014 9:35 pm

I revising my original assessment. I think he meant it as a joke. I think it's kind of hilarious if he were a coach and said it in a locker room. Unfortunately, he's an executive and he thought he could locker room talk the entire building.

Dummy.
Sleepy51
Forum Mod - Warriors
Forum Mod - Warriors

Post#12 » by Sleepy51 » Tue Oct 28, 2014 9:37 pm

Just noticed he didn't capitalize Swahilli or Hoodish, but he capitalized all the WHITE MAN's languages.

Onus
RealGM

Post#13 » by Onus » Tue Oct 28, 2014 10:01 pm

Coxy wrote:Shouldn't try to learn Australian. Too difficult. Better off learning something easier like ancient Latvian.

I know right, he may just be talking to him self if he spoke Australian.

Sleepy51 wrote:Just noticed he didn't capitalize Swahilli or Hoodish, but he capitalized all the WHITE MAN's languages.

I wonder if autocorrect did this?!?

Sleepy51 wrote:I revising my original assessment. I think he meant it as a joke. I think it's kind of hilarious if he were a coach and said it in a locker room. Unfortunately, he's an executive and he thought he could locker room talk the entire building.

Dummy.

This is my take, he was trying to be funny
FNQ
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#14 » by FNQ » Tue Oct 28, 2014 10:05 pm

I think it says more about what people want to think about authority figures if they assume he was trying to joke.

An owner would have to be monumentally stupid to crack a joke like that with the Danny Ferry/Donald Sterling situations going. Sending it out as a mass email is begging for someone to take offense. Believe it or not, there are quite a few black employees at W's HQ.

I think its sad that our knee-jerk reaction is to assume the absolute and total worst, always. Try an experiment: type hoodish into your phone via text or some kind of text box. Then type Hiddish. And see what happens.
turk3d
RealGM

Post#15 » by turk3d » Tue Oct 28, 2014 10:06 pm

Sleepy51 wrote:And as Bomani pointed out, which player was he planning to kibitz in Yiddish with? We don't have a Jewish or Israeli player on the roster that I know of.

I'm almost positive that it was directed towards Speights who I'm sure speaks at least 4 different languages.
Better green font this, or I'm sure someone will be sigging me again.

I'm sure Sleepy's comment was a joke. It was just another faux pas by Goober.
Sleepy51
Forum Mod - Warriors
Forum Mod - Warriors

Peter Guber is a goober 

Post#16 » by Sleepy51 » Tue Oct 28, 2014 10:15 pm

FireNellieQuick wrote:I think it says more about what people want to think about authority figures if they assume he was trying to joke.

An owner would have to be monumentally stupid to crack a joke like that with the Danny Ferry/Donald Sterling situations going. Sending it out as a mass email is begging for someone to take offense. Believe it or not, there are quite a few black employees at W's HQ.

I think its sad that our knee-jerk reaction is to assume the absolute and total worst, always. Try an experiment: type hoodish into your phone via text or some kind of text box. Then type Hiddish. And see what happens.

I was joking about him joking wet blanket man. I just think it would have been a pretty good joke if he was joking. Ill-fated joke, but hilarious.
I don't think there's a serious comment worth making on the entire subject. Frankly, I wish he had said "jive"

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
Onus
RealGM

Post#17 » by Onus » Tue Oct 28, 2014 10:19 pm

FireNellieQuick wrote:I think it says more about what people want to think about authority figures if they assume he was trying to joke.

"hoodish" turns into "hooding" and "hiddish" turns into "his dish" ...

Swahili also gets auto capitalized

this is on an iphone

Also to be honest the D is quite far from the O, pressing it twice. Perhaps if it was hoddish
Mylie10
RealGM
And1: 9,612

Post#18 » by Mylie10 » Tue Oct 28, 2014 10:23 pm

Sleepy51 wrote:I can't believe this story didn't get posted yet today for laughs,

Easy.....press save
Khoee wrote “
Mav_Carter wrote: my list doesn't matter...I'm pretty much wrong on everything...
Sleepy51
Forum Mod - Warriors
Forum Mod - Warriors

Post#19 » by Sleepy51 » Tue Oct 28, 2014 10:24 pm

Onus wrote:

"hoodish" turns into "hooding" and "hiddish" turns into "his dish" ...

Swahili also gets auto capitalized

this is on an iphone

The plot thickens. Maybe Samsung is racist?

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
Chris Porter's Hair
Forum Mod - Warriors
Forum Mod - Warriors
And1: 3,564

Post#20 » by Chris Porter's Hair » Tue Oct 28, 2014 10:28 pm

Coxy wrote:Shouldn't try to learn Australian. Too difficult. Better off learning something easier like ancient Latvian.

I once learned that Fosters is Australian for 'beer'.

crzyyafrican makes the best sigs, quite frankly

Return to Golden State Warriors