ImageImageImageImageImage

Observations From First 10 Games

Moderators: Chris Porter's Hair, floppymoose, Sleepy51

Lone Star
Junior
And1: 51

Observations From First 10 Games 

Post#1 » by Lone Star » Tue Nov 18, 2014 5:29 am

Ten games in, the Dubs are on pace to win 60+ games, the pace won't last, but it has been great to watch. The Warriors entered the season with many questions, the early answers to many of the questions have been very positive. Here is my rundownn of the key elements from the first 10 games:

Curry: More of the same, the three ball has been a little off, which is scary considering how he is playing, love the increased defensive prowess... he is no longer a defensive liability, also like the help on the boards. Biggest critique as usual is decreasing the turnovers.

Thompson: Started the season on fire, has come back to earth a bit since, but he is really showing his diversified offensive game. The ability to drive and draw fouls is really helping him out when his shot is off. I don't think there is any doubt that the best backcourt in the NBA plays in Oakland.

Barnes: Rough start to the season. I really began to lose faith in him, as his game early on looked just as lost as last season. He has looked like a completely different player the past few games, playing more fluid and instinctively. The big question is, is this a mirage or the beginning of Barnes figuring things out. Time will tell.

Green: Lee's hammy could have really set the Dubs back to start the season... instead it has served as a coming out party for Green. The only negative with Green's play is that he may be pricing himself out of Oakland. BTW... I told you all that Green would be Kerr's stretch four, couldn't be happier he proved me right.

Bogut: Still the anchor of the defense, but now he is involving himself in the offense, being more aggressive in looking for his shot. We all just have to collectively pray for Bogut to be healthy come playoff time.

Lee: Has looked good... during the few minutes he has played thus far. He really hasn't been missed much to start the season with the play of Green, Barnes and Speights. I'm beginning to think he needs to go to afford Green, because the player up next has no trade value.

Iguodala: Has looked lazy and disinterested when he is in games, lacking defensive intensity and seeming content basically coasting on the court, instead of imposing his will on the game. I think he was pissed he wasn't starting and letting it affect his play. He seemed more engaged against the Lakers. This could be an issue as the season progresses.

Barbosa: Has been a very pleasant surprise. He provides a nice offensive spark for bench unit. A very nice signing.

Speights: Probably the most surprising player so far this season. He still does annoying mistakes on the court and I can't stand looking at the giant wart on his head, but damn Speights has been good when given minutes on the court. I think Kerr made him realize that he had to earn minutes and Speights has been playing hungry thus far this season.

Livingston: It is hard to judge Livingston thus far, because he didn't have training camp or preseason, so he is having to work things out on the court. You can see evidence of his game coming around over the past few games. It is scary just how much talent is on this roster.

Ezeli: There was a big question if he would ever be able to play, so it has been nice to see him on the court. His offensive game looks improved, but his hands haven't and his timing are still off. He seems to have lost minutes to Speights, but the season is young and Ezeli will be needed.

Kerr: There were many questions about the rookie coach and the early returns have been overwhelmingly positive. What he has done for the offense lends credence to the anti Jackson faction of the board, of which I am firmly a part of.

Gentry: The under rated aspect of getting Gentry is that the Clippers' offense is not the same and the Dubs offense is looking incredible at times. This theft from the Clips could give the Dubs a division championship.

Adams: The defensive architect has actually managed to keep the defense from falling off and actually getting someone like Curry to handle his load on defense. I also can't help but wonder if he is behind Barnes and Speights' improved play.

Only one question remains... Royal Majesty... what do you think of Bob Myers now?
cdubbz
RealGM
And1: 2,828

Re: Observations From First 10 Games 

Post#2 » by cdubbz » Tue Nov 18, 2014 5:51 am

Not a bad observation and I have most of the same ones.

Some of the surprising/refreshing things i've seen thus far:

- Bogut's involvement in offense. New Kerr would bring a new offense in, but love seeing Bogut at the top of the key distributing the ball, giving backdoor passes and keeping opposing bigs away from the basket.

- Draymond Green has turned himself into a solid starter in this league. Either SF or PF, Dray has improved his game so much from his first 2 season in the league. From not being able to hit a jumper to hitting back to back threes and being reliable to hit the open shot. Definite 3 & D guy with added intangibles on offense.

- Harrison Barnes getting back into his groove. Always thought iggy on the team messed with Barnes development and putting Barnes back with the starters with less pressure on him has proven to be good for him. I just want to see more defense/rebounding from him.

-Steph & Klay taking the next step into becoming great. Holy crap have these two improved so much. I really do think Team USA experience exposed these guys to the elite talent in the league and they realized they can hang and/or are better than some of those guys. Love it.

Also I was really concerned with out big man situation before the season started, but with Draymond/Bogut playing awesome with Speights and Festus waiting on the bench as well as Lee not even playing yet I feel more confident in our frontcourt. Although with that extra roster spot i still wouldn't mind another big OR point guard.
Kuya wrote: a good agent collects all the data, including quotes to give them leverage in contract deals.
killacalijatt
General Manager
And1: 1,708

Post#3 » by killacalijatt » Tue Nov 18, 2014 6:05 am

Honestly the only let down ive observed is Iggy being waayyyyy to passive and Lees injury other than that we have been playing out of our minds.

Green MiP
Speights not being a moron
Bogut beasting
Curry/Klay both all nba 1st team
Barnes being a nice glue 3 and D guy.
Livingston is starting to impress me the most these last games he has shown what he can do with his length.
Barbosa giving us great production but could cut those long jumpers down.
Once we get Lee back our bench easily becomes the best in the league.
killacalijatt
General Manager
And1: 1,708

Post#4 » by killacalijatt » Tue Nov 18, 2014 6:07 am

Livingston
Barbosa
Iggy
Lee
Festus/Speights

is atleast the 7th seed in the East :lol:

Lee is going to beast on 2nd stringers and is going to really balance our bench.
JimmyTD3
Banned User
And1: 1,640

Post#5 » by JimmyTD3 » Tue Nov 18, 2014 6:21 am

killacalijatt wrote:Livingston
Barbosa
Iggy
Lee
Festus/Speights

Lee is going to beast on 2nd stringers and is going to really balance our bench.

Correction - Draymond is gonna beast on 2nd stringers and is really gonna balance our bench

8-)
InWestWeTrust
Sixth Man
And1: 657

Post#6 » by InWestWeTrust » Tue Nov 18, 2014 6:23 am

Stringcheese wrote:
Barbosa
Iggy
Lee
Festus/Speights

Correction - Draymond is gonna beast on 2nd stringers and is really gonna balance our bench

8-)

Don't think that happens right away, if at all, but we will see
JimmyTD3
Banned User
And1: 1,640

Post#7 » by JimmyTD3 » Tue Nov 18, 2014 6:26 am

InWestWeTrust wrote:
Stringcheese wrote:
Barbosa
Iggy
Lee
Festus/Speights

8-)

It will be an interesting thing to see...I don't believe Kerr has tipped his hand one way or the other as to who the starter is?

Looking way ahead and making some baseless assumptions, it'd suck if we had Lee+Iggy coming off of the bench and they both became locker room distractions. After watching Spurs scrape everyone the last few years with "non-elite" talent, I am a big believer in team > all, so I hope everything pans out.
old rem
RealGM
And1: 1,080

Post#8 » by old rem » Tue Nov 18, 2014 3:34 pm

Lone Star wrote:Ten games in, the Dubs are on pace to win 60+ games, the pace won't last, but it has been great to watch. The Warriors entered the season with many questions, the early answers to many of the questions have been very positive. Here is my rundownn of the key elements from the first 10 games:

Curry: More of the same, the three ball has been a little off, which is scary considering how he is playing, love the increased defensive prowess... he is no longer a defensive liability, also like the help on the boards. Biggest critique as usual is decreasing the turnovers.

Thompson: Started the season on fire, has come back to earth a bit since, but he is really showing his diversified offensive game. The ability to drive and draw fouls is really helping him out when his shot is off. I don't think there is any doubt that the best backcourt in the NBA plays in Oakland.

Barnes: Rough start to the season. I really began to lose faith in him, as his game early on looked just as lost as last season. He has looked like a completely different player the past few games, playing more fluid and instinctively. The big question is, is this a mirage or the beginning of Barnes figuring things out. Time will tell.

Green: Lee's hammy could have really set the Dubs back to start the season... instead it has served as a coming out party for Green. The only negative with Green's play is that he may be pricing himself out of Oakland. BTW... I told you all that Green would be Kerr's stretch four, couldn't be happier he proved me right.

Bogut: Still the anchor of the defense, but now he is involving himself in the offense, being more aggressive in looking for his shot. We all just have to collectively pray for Bogut to be healthy come playoff time.

Lee: Has looked good... during the few minutes he has played thus far. He really hasn't been missed much to start the season with the play of Green, Barnes and Speights. I'm beginning to think he needs to go to afford Green, because the player up next has no trade value.

Iguodala: Has looked lazy and disinterested when he is in games, lacking defensive intensity and seeming content basically coasting on the court, instead of imposing his will on the game. I think he was pissed he wasn't starting and letting it affect his play. He seemed more engaged against the Lakers. This could be an issue as the season progresses.

Barbosa: Has been a very pleasant surprise. He provides a nice offensive spark for bench unit. A very nice signing.

Speights: Probably the most surprising player so far this season. He still does annoying mistakes on the court and I can't stand looking at the giant wart on his head, but damn Speights has been good when given minutes on the court. I think Kerr made him realize that he had to earn minutes and Speights has been playing hungry thus far this season.

Livingston: It is hard to judge Livingston thus far, because he didn't have training camp or preseason, so he is having to work things out on the court. You can see evidence of his game coming around over the past few games. It is scary just how much talent is on this roster.

Ezeli: There was a big question if he would ever be able to play, so it has been nice to see him on the court. His offensive game looks improved, but his hands haven't and his timing are still off. He seems to have lost minutes to Speights, but the season is young and Ezeli will be needed.

Kerr: There were many questions about the rookie coach and the early returns have been overwhelmingly positive. What he has done for the offense lends credence to the anti Jackson faction of the board, of which I am firmly a part of.

Gentry: The under rated aspect of getting Gentry is that the Clippers' offense is not the same and the Dubs offense is looking incredible at times. This theft from the Clips could give the Dubs a division championship.

Adams: The defensive architect has actually managed to keep the defense from falling off and actually getting someone like Curry to handle his load on defense. I also can't help but wonder if he is behind Barnes and Speights' improved play.

Only one question remains... Royal Majesty... what do you think of Bob Myers now?
=1.... I have to mostly agree. I was perhaps more optimistic than most on Speights and Barnes. Barbosa,, I'd say is a surprise. I thought he was done. He is a boost as a bench scorer.

Iggy... I'd seen a trend of DECLINE.. and with his age, contract.. that's scary. Can he be salvaged? Can he be traded at this point? If he's not doing well.. we either deal him soon or we are stuck. If the light goes on.. he could yet revive his career. I got some crap last year for being critical of Iggy. "He has a good +/-...His D is good... PPG ain't everything. Fine.. but his D ...ain't what it used to be. His +/-.. says he got minutes on a winning team. Points? That's all you see on the scoreboard..really. Team with the most points ALWAYS wins.

You can be GOOD on D.. but bad offense and you are losing the matchup.
CENSORED... No comment.
East Bay Sports
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,559

Post#9 » by East Bay Sports » Tue Nov 18, 2014 4:02 pm

What kind of decline are we seeing from Iguodala though? Because it doesn't seem to be a physical one. He is still explosive in the open floor and can finish when getting to the rim when he wants. Physically, I don't see much decline at all. His issues all seem to be mental, which IMO is a better case for the team than a physical issue. I think once he is back starting (which IMO is inevitable) things will be fine. Remember this time last season he was shooting like 60% from 3 and we were all in love with him, so 10 game stretches are just that, 10 game stretches. If he continues playing like this into 2015 we have a bad issue on our hands. But I still think there is hope, but maybe I am being overly optimistic.
FNQ
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 20,007

Post#10 » by FNQ » Tue Nov 18, 2014 4:06 pm

Have no idea how one could think Iguodala is lazy and coasting on D. Still our best and most active perimeter defender
510TWSS
General Manager
And1: 2,864

Post#11 » by 510TWSS » Tue Nov 18, 2014 4:25 pm

Iggy just needs to be a bit more aggressive in finishing drives for himself and find confidence in his perimeter shot. He does that and he's back to the same ol' Iggy.
Lone Star
Junior
And1: 51

Post#12 » by Lone Star » Tue Nov 18, 2014 4:43 pm

FireNellieQuick wrote:Have no idea how one could think Iguodala is lazy and coasting on D. Still our best and most active perimeter defender

The lazy and coasting comment was more related to him offensively. I think he feels that he can coast on offense because of the other offensive options on the team. I will say though he was getting after it harder on defense against the Lakers. I hadn't seen that before this season.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
Onus
RealGM
And1: 5,263

Post#13 » by Onus » Tue Nov 18, 2014 5:13 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=p ... QrU#t=2518

Kevin Arnovitz and Zach Lowe on the Warriors.
Most 4th Quarter Points in Final since 1991
1995 Shaquille O'Neal 11.5
2000 Shaquille O'Neal 11.5 (61.1% TS)
2015 Stephen Curry 10.8 (75.1% TS)
1997 Michael Jordan 10.7 (55.1% TS)
1998 Michael Jordan 10.6 (50.6% TS)
2011 Dirk Nowitzki 10.3 (68.0% TS)
InWestWeTrust
Sixth Man
And1: 657

Post#14 » by InWestWeTrust » Tue Nov 18, 2014 5:56 pm

Stringcheese wrote:
InWestWeTrust wrote:
Stringcheese wrote:

8-)

It will be an interesting thing to see...I don't believe Kerr has tipped his hand one way or the other as to who the starter is?

Looking way ahead and making some baseless assumptions, it'd suck if we had Lee+Iggy coming off of the bench and they both became locker room distractions. After watching Spurs scrape everyone the last few years with "non-elite" talent, I am a big believer in team > all, so I hope everything pans out.

Well he gave some hints after Lee played that game. Mentioned something along the lines of "not going to change anything with the current success" in regards to Green starting. It made me believe Lee would come off the bench at first but changes could still be made later on.

It gets me a little nervous with both of them coming off the bench but they seem like they can handle it without making it a distraction. I think as long as we are winning it shouldnt be an issue.
old rem
RealGM
And1: 1,080

Post#15 » by old rem » Wed Nov 19, 2014 7:42 am

510TWSS wrote:Iggy just needs to be a bit more aggressive in finishing drives for himself and find confidence in his perimeter shot. He does that and he's back to the same ol' Iggy.
iggy never was consistent from Perimeter. He used to ATTACK the rim. Used to get 15+ ppg.. mostly midrasnge. Now? I see unreliable Perimeter.
I don't see any confidence as a drive/slash guy. defense...Passing... is off and on. He has to GET IT RIGHT or he is DUMPED before deadline. WHATEVER the details..I see the Warriors doing WELL at seeing how best to use what's there.
CENSORED... No comment.
likashing
Head Coach
And1: 1,959

Post#16 » by likashing » Wed Nov 19, 2014 8:42 am

I notice Green is an important component of Steph's improved defense. In pick and roll situations, obviously Steph is fighting much harder to to go through screens and/or funneling his man to the right direction, but at the same time, Green is covering/positioning very well and is extremely mobile if the screen is set by the opposing PF.

If Lee returns and start at PF, I wouldn't be surprised if Steph's defense will not look as good as it has been the last 10 games. It is another dilemma that Kerr needs to solve.
Mark Jackson wrote:Playoff preparation is overrated... I’m going to get my rest. I’m not going to grow old and be stressed out and get gray hair.
bakesale
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,776

Post#17 » by bakesale » Wed Nov 19, 2014 11:10 am

FireNellieQuick wrote:Have no idea how one could think Iguodala is lazy and coasting on D. Still our best and most active perimeter defender

Did you see his defence vs the spurs?

It was effing horrible!

He sagged off of shooters like Ginoboli and Leonard that were hot to double guys like Diaw who wasn't even looking to score...

I don't see the same effort from him on D that I've seen in years past.
ChuckS
Bench Warmer
And1: 213

Post#18 » by ChuckS » Wed Nov 19, 2014 5:21 pm

I will not say what I really think because I fear being banned or receiving my first warning. Although I once had a post removed before I knew how to use the quote function, so some moderator probably thought I was using inflammatory terminology instead of the originator's words in my response. In any event a heavy math background early in my education makes me believe it is unwise to become so hysterical when using such a small sample size to determine the worth of a player with a ten year career, and still in what is considered prime years. On the other hand I am familiar with the saga of the blind squirrel, so certainly someone with whom I disagree could ultimately be right and I could be wrong...and not for the first time.

Someone wrote that it seemed apparent that Speight's play suggested much hard work in he off-season. Is it so hard to imagine the opposite? Iguodala had to drop out of Team USA play and pretty much everything basketball because of the hamstring injury and right knee tendonitis for which he received PRP treatment. I personally see no great decline in athleticism or skills, so I have chosen to be patient.

Now, having read the board in "quiet desperation" this year I realize some might laugh at just another excuse. I think that some of the Iguodala vilification by Barnes supporters has been so ridiculous as to be unreadable. One even acknowledged doing it to get even with and annoy Harrison's detractors. I have never been one by the way. I also admit to not really understanding this internet thingy. But isn't that the very definition of "trolling"?

I personally do not think that Dre needs any excuses except for his anemic scoring this year. I just believe a career 46+% shooter will not average 40% for the season. But, most of all, there are six players on the squad, according to "82 Games.com", who have a positive on court-off court rating. In spite of his abysmal per (because of his current scoring), Dre is one, and the only one of the non starters. I suppose if your going to suck as badly as some claim, it's best to do so while still helping the team.

But it is the money some will declare. If you choose to believe he has been overpaid for ten games this year, I will not argue. But last year he was rated the 29th and 39th best player by two organizations. He was paid the 39th highest salary in the league.

One person wrote that Dre was only good if he played with good players. Certainly Plus-Minus is influenced by playing with Curry, Thompson, and Lee if your forte is other than scoring. But the above quoted on court-off court number coming off the bench belies that he cannot play with anyone not elite. And I watched him for nine years on mediocre to lousy Philly teams, so I know this is bullcrap. Iguodala is good because he is one of the most versatile players in the league, athletic, and skilled. He's just better playing with a scorer because scoring points has never been his prime objective or best skill. I still think he should shoot more because of his efficiency, but he seems not to have that mentality.

I am yet to be convinced that this team is a championship contender without Lee and Dre in the starting lineup, but am deferring to Kerr's judgements because we're winning and he has done well with closing lineups. One can fault David for average or mediocre defense, but he's been an excellent scorer, our only inside threat, an excellent rebounder (which is a defensive measure), and a consistent top ten, or near, rated power forward for years. It's like saying your plumber sucks because he's not also an expert electrician. I think this team is better with Lee. The fact that we have a defensive presence in Green in cases of mismatches makes me even less concerned.
watch1958
General Manager
And1: 1,172

Post#19 » by watch1958 » Wed Nov 19, 2014 5:42 pm

ChuckS wrote:I will not say what I really think because I fear being banned or receiving my first warning. Although I once had a post removed before I knew how to use the quote function, so some moderator probably thought I was using inflammatory terminology instead of the originator's words in my response. In any event a heavy math background early in my education makes me believe it is unwise to become so hysterical when using such a small sample size to determine the worth of a player with a ten year career, and still in what is considered prime years. On the other hand I am familiar with the saga of the blind squirrel, so certainly someone with whom I disagree could ultimately be right and I could be wrong...and not for the first time.

Someone wrote that it seemed apparent that Speight's play suggested much hard work in he off-season. Is it so hard to imagine the opposite? Iguodala had to drop out of Team USA play and pretty much everything basketball because of the hamstring injury and right knee tendonitis for which he received PRP treatment. I personally see no great decline in athleticism or skills, so I have chosen to be patient.

Now, having read the board in "quiet desperation" this year I realize some might laugh at just another excuse. I think that some of the Iguodala vilification by Barnes supporters has been so ridiculous as to be unreadable. One even acknowledged doing it to get even with and annoy Harrison's detractors. I have never been one by the way. I also admit to not really understanding this internet thingy. But isn't that the very definition of "trolling"?

I personally do not think that Dre needs any excuses except for his anemic scoring this year. I just believe a career 46+% shooter will not average 40% for the season. But, most of all, there are six players on the squad, according to "82 Games.com", who have a positive on court-off court rating. In spite of his abysmal per (because of his current scoring), Dre is one, and the only one of the non starters. I suppose if your going to suck as badly as some claim, it's best to do so while still helping the team.

But it is the money some will declare. If you choose to believe he has been overpaid for ten games this year, I will not argue. But last year he was rated the 29th and 39th best player by two organizations. He was paid the 39th highest salary in the league.

One person wrote that Dre was only good if he played with good players. Certainly Plus-Minus is influenced by playing with Curry, Thompson, and Lee if your forte is other than scoring. But the above quoted on court-off court number coming off the bench belies that he cannot play with anyone not elite. And I watched him for nine years on mediocre to lousy Philly teams, so I know this is bullcrap. Iguodala is good because he is one of the most versatile players in the league, athletic, and skilled. He's just better playing with a scorer because scoring points has never been his prime objective or best skill. I still think he should shoot more because of his efficiency, but he seems not to have that mentality.

I am yet to be convinced that this team is a championship contender without Lee and Dre in the starting lineup, but am deferring to Kerr's judgements because we're winning and he has done well with closing lineups. One can fault David for average or mediocre defense, but he's been an excellent scorer, our only inside threat, an excellent rebounder (which is a defensive measure), and a consistent top ten, or near, rated power forward for years. It's like saying your plumber sucks because he's not also an expert electrician. I think this team is better with Lee. The fact that we have a defensive presence in Green in cases of mismatches makes me even less concerned.
How long would the post have been if you were saying what you really thought?

I agree that the anti-Iggy stuff is overblown. I also think that the team needs Iggy and Lee to play important roles this year. Not sure that means they have to start.

For example, once Lee is back, you'd have a bench that included Lee, Iggy, and Speights, to complement the currently successful starting 5. That could be pretty formidable with a bunch of different combos. OTOH, if you started Iggy and Lee, a bench unit built around Barnes, Green, and Speights might lose more production than you theoretically gain by starting Iggy and Lee.
This movie is like the Rocky Horror Picture Show where everyone knows all the lines.
Mylie10
RealGM
And1: 9,612

Post#20 » by Mylie10 » Wed Nov 19, 2014 6:04 pm

Nice post ChuckS.....I recall being impressed before and welcome more thoughtful posting.

My hope is to see Iguodala back on the starting unit because of the balance he brings playing with great shooters.

Barnes if continuing good play provides more scoring for the bench and he's also a good outlet for Livingstone passing, as Livingston needs more shooters in his stints.

Lee I feel will first come off the bench once back. But whether that lasts, I'm not sure. But I feel the overall balance of offense and defense, will benefit from him providing much needed scoring off the bench.

Like ChuckS said as long as Kerr is playing the right lineups when it's winning time, then I won't worry to much. But a lineup of;

Livingston
Barbosa
Barnes
Lee
Speights/Ezeli

Is amongst the best bench units in the league potentially.
Khoee wrote “
Mav_Carter wrote: my list doesn't matter...I'm pretty much wrong on everything...

Return to Golden State Warriors