ImageImageImageImageImage

Western Conference Rivals watch thread

Moderators: Chris Porter's Hair, floppymoose, Sleepy51

cdubbz
RealGM
And1: 2,828

Western Conference Rivals watch thread 

Post#1 » by cdubbz » Thu Dec 11, 2014 6:13 pm

I feel we should have a thread dedicated to our Western Conference playoff rivals. Other than the Around the NBA one -- this one can be specific to the state of the Clippers, Mavericks, Grizzlies, Rockets, Spurs, Blazers, & Thunder.

Feel free to post anything related to these teams and how good they're doing, how bad they're doing, matchup potentials, player news etc.
Kuya wrote: a good agent collects all the data, including quotes to give them leverage in contract deals.
cdubbz
RealGM

Re: Western Conference Rivals watch thread 

Post#2 » by cdubbz » Thu Dec 11, 2014 6:18 pm

I'll start! The Los Angeles Clippers are STREAKING!!! They've won 9 games in a row and are only 3.0 games behind the Warriors in the division. They've seemed to be out of the media spotlight, but are playing really good basketball.

Haven't seen them play too much, but Griffin is only averaging 7.7 rpg -- is he playing away from the basket on offense a lot more now? Or did someone else pick up some rebounding slack? I actually think Griffin can stick with Draymond on the perimeter.
Kuya wrote: a good agent collects all the data, including quotes to give them leverage in contract deals.
Onus
RealGM
And1: 5,260

Post#3 » by Onus » Thu Dec 11, 2014 6:20 pm

I want to face Dallas, Portland or the Clippers in the first round. Think we could win in 6 or less games against these teams. I think Dallas or OKC is most likely if we maintain a 1-2 seed.

OKC, Houston, SA, and MEM will be tough match ups, I'd expect 6 or more games in those series.
Most 4th Quarter Points in Final since 1991
1995 Shaquille O'Neal 11.5
2000 Shaquille O'Neal 11.5 (61.1% TS)
2015 Stephen Curry 10.8 (75.1% TS)
1997 Michael Jordan 10.7 (55.1% TS)
1998 Michael Jordan 10.6 (50.6% TS)
2011 Dirk Nowitzki 10.3 (68.0% TS)
turk3d
RealGM
And1: 1,277

Post#4 » by turk3d » Thu Dec 11, 2014 6:29 pm

West Standings (already a logjam):

http://espn.go.com/nba/standings

1-7 only separated by 3 1/2 games.
Draymond Green: Exemplifies Warrior Leadership, Hustle, Desire, Versatility, Toughness, fearlessness, Grit, Heart,Team Spirit, Sacrifice
510TWSS
General Manager
And1: 2,864

Post#5 » by 510TWSS » Thu Dec 11, 2014 6:58 pm

Only teams I could see giving us a lot of trouble is SAS and Memphis. LAC, Portland, Dallas are not to be taken lightly either, however if at full health I think we could take those latter 4 teams. I'd have to pause against SAS and Memphis until we play them more. That Memphis - Warriors game could be epic.
floppymoose
Senior Mod - Warriors
Senior Mod - Warriors
And1: 15,798

Post#6 » by floppymoose » Thu Dec 11, 2014 8:50 pm

The crazy part is if you add the Warriors to those teams, it's 8 teams. Every single WC playoff team will be amazing.
HiRez
RealGM
And1: 3,588

Post#7 » by HiRez » Thu Dec 11, 2014 9:10 pm

510TWSS wrote:Only teams I could see giving us a lot of trouble is SAS and Memphis. LAC, Portland, Dallas are not to be taken lightly either, however if at full health I think we could take those latter 4 teams. I'd have to pause against SAS and Memphis until we play them more. That Memphis - Warriors game could be epic.

I agree, Spurs and Grizz worry me. The Grizz pose a danger to slow us down, make us trudge through mud, that is bad news for our offense. Randolph is a handful for us, it will be interesting to see if 2014 Draymond Green can slow him down, and the Spurs are, well, the Spurs.

Houston I'm not sure about, frankly they surprised me with how tough they played last night, but we can't be sure yet how it would play out with the addition of Bogut and Howard.

I think OKC could be a problem, and a first round matchup with the Warriors is not looking too unlikely right now. We are only 2-4 against them in the 2 years prior to this year.

Pretty much everyone else I feel fairly confident we could beat (LAC, Portland, Dallas, Phoenix, Sacramento, New Orleans). Even though they are talented, I feel we have figured out the Clippers and give them enough problems where we could win a series. They are still relatively soft and mentally fragile, you can rattle them, and in the playoffs, getting rattled is death.
cdubbz
RealGM

Post#8 » by cdubbz » Thu Dec 11, 2014 9:11 pm

I feel the league could just pick teams out of a basket to see who faces who in the playoffs. seeding doesn't really matter (to an extent of course). At the end of the season any of these teams can be #1 and any can be at the bottom of the race.
Darren_Errman
Senior
And1: 265

Post#9 » by Darren_Errman » Thu Dec 11, 2014 10:11 pm

Better hope Pelicans Kings Nuggets and Suns close season strong and one of them grabs 8th seed. Why?

OKC is very unlikely to catch Dallas/Portland for 6th/7th. A first round matchup with 8th seed OKC would be pain.
Mikayal
Freshman
And1: 7

Post#10 » by Mikayal » Thu Dec 11, 2014 10:19 pm

My only fear is playing OKC in the first round, I have a gut feeling we won't play Spurs first. Everyone else I feel we could take. Excited to see how we fare against Dallas and Memphis this week.
510TWSS
General Manager
And1: 2,864

Post#11 » by 510TWSS » Thu Dec 11, 2014 10:37 pm

HiRez wrote:
510TWSS wrote:Only teams I could see giving us a lot of trouble is SAS and Memphis. LAC, Portland, Dallas are not to be taken lightly either, however if at full health I think we could take those latter 4 teams. I'd have to pause against SAS and Memphis until we play them more. That Memphis - Warriors game could be epic.

I agree, Spurs and Grizz worry me. The Grizz pose a danger to slow us down, make us trudge through mud, that is bad news for our offense. Randolph is a handful for us, it will be interesting to see if 2014 Draymond Green can slow him down, and the Spurs are, well, the Spurs.

Houston I'm not sure about, frankly they surprised me with how tough they played last night, but we can't be sure yet how it would play out with the addition of Bogut and Howard.

I think OKC could be a problem, and a first round matchup with the Warriors is not looking too unlikely right now. We are only 2-4 against them in the 2 years prior to this year.

Pretty much everyone else I feel fairly confident we could beat (LAC, Portland, Dallas, Phoenix, Sacramento, New Orleans). Even though they are talented, I feel we have figured out the Clippers and give them enough problems where we could win a series. They are still relatively soft and mentally fragile, you can rattle them, and in the playoffs, getting rattled is death.

Yeah, I agree OKC could be an unfortunate draw in the 1st round. I'm hoping they don't even make it at all.
ChuckDurn
Assistant Coach
And1: 789

Post#12 » by ChuckDurn » Thu Dec 11, 2014 11:18 pm

I don't mean to wish ill upon them, but I wouldn't be surprised if either Westbrook or Durant goes down again later this year - if either misses anything more than a few games, OKC is done, and the playoffs loses a major threat.
If I don't have anything funny to say, can I still have a signature?
azwfan
RealGM
And1: 3,745

Post#13 » by azwfan » Thu Dec 11, 2014 11:49 pm

1-7 is clogged up but also check out the race for the 8th spot.

There's 4 teams within 1 1/2 games and OKC coming up.
LF75 wrote: It was a dumb idea..And yes I'm a dick.
cdubbz
RealGM

Post#14 » by cdubbz » Fri Dec 12, 2014 4:08 am

Does anybody here care if the Warriors are the #1 seed entering the playoffs?

I don't think it matters in the long run, but for the franchise, fans, players, and Steve Kerr I'm sure it would mean a lot. Just all the hard work that went into the season to have the best record in the West has to mean something.
Coxy
RealGM
And1: 14,661

Post#15 » by Coxy » Fri Dec 12, 2014 4:14 am

cdubbz wrote:Does anybody here care if the Warriors are the #1 seed entering the playoffs?

I don't think it matters in the long run, but for the franchise, fans, players, and Steve Kerr I'm sure it would mean a lot. Just all the hard work that went into the season to have the best record in the West has to mean something.

Depends on who we end up playing in the 1st round.
HiRez
RealGM

Post#16 » by HiRez » Fri Dec 12, 2014 4:50 am

cdubbz wrote:Does anybody here care if the Warriors are the #1 seed entering the playoffs?

It matters if you get into later rounds, where the #1 seed would guarantee you home court against say the Spurs or Grizzlies, which could easily be the deciding factor in a close series.

Every game is going to matter this year, we can not afford a lapse in focus to throw any away (and fortunately so far we haven't). In this stacked conference it's not crazy to imagine the #1 and #5 seeds could be separated by just a couple games.

That said, it's nice that we are finally starting to gain a tiny bit of separation in the standings right now, and Sacramento is beating a tired Rockets team tonight while OKC is surging, I will be shocked if they don't make the playoffs.
Mikayal
Freshman
And1: 7

Post#17 » by Mikayal » Fri Dec 12, 2014 5:08 am

HiRez wrote:

It matters if you get into later rounds, where the #1 seed would guarantee you home court against say the Spurs or Grizzlies, which could easily be the deciding factor in a close series.

Every game is going to matter this year, we can not afford a lapse in focus to throw any away (and fortunately so far we haven't). In this stacked conference it's not crazy to imagine the #1 and #5 seeds could be separated by just a couple games.

That said, it's nice that we are finally starting to gain a tiny bit of separation in the standings right now, and Sacramento is beating a tired Rockets team tonight while OKC is surging, I will be shocked if they don't make the playoffs.

OKC beat a Cavaliers team without LeBron and Kyrie almost blew out his knee. I'm not impressed with their win, thats a game you SHOULD win.

Phoenix/Sacramento are going to make it hard to achieve that 8th seed for OKC. Denver and Pels might get a run at it too.
Plossum
General Manager
And1: 4,889

Post#18 » by Plossum » Fri Dec 12, 2014 5:12 am

Okc will make it no probs. I see Phoenix falling short again. They just can't string two good performances together.

Sent from my HTC_PO582 using RealGM Forums mobile app
#LockUpChuck
HiRez
RealGM

Post#19 » by HiRez » Fri Dec 12, 2014 6:12 am

Mikayal wrote:OKC beat a Cavaliers team without LeBron and Kyrie almost blew out his knee. I'm not impressed with their win, thats a game you SHOULD win.

Phoenix/Sacramento are going to make it hard to achieve that 8th seed for OKC. Denver and Pels might get a run at it too.

Forget that game, you know who they are. Durant. Westbrook. Ibaka. If you have those guys, you have a pretty high floor. Normally they are reliably a 58-60 win team, so applying that % to their remaining games and adding the 9 they've already won yields about 52 wins, which I think will be enough to get in. By contrast, Phoenix is on pace to win 43 games, so even if OKC has a few stumbles, they should still make it.
timlin500
Starter
And1: 124

Post#20 » by timlin500 » Fri Dec 12, 2014 9:04 pm

Freaking Sacramento should've beaten the Rockets. Arrrg.

Return to Golden State Warriors