ImageImageImageImageImage

Long Term Draymond and Barnes?

Moderators: Chris Porter's Hair, floppymoose, Sleepy51

migya
Head Coach
And1: 1,336

Re: Long Term Draymond and Barnes? 

Post#21 » by migya » Thu Jan 29, 2015 8:52 am

I think the team will keep both for a little while at least. That article linked above explains it well with the salary situation. I'm surprised it states Green can't get a max contract that will give him next season what Lee is due, which is 15.5 million, that's something to look up. In actual fact, Green being up for an extension this offseason and not a year later might end up being one of the biggest factors for the franchise for the next four years or so because it will mean a few million less a year for him. Barnes isn't worth more than 10 million right now and actually extending him now for that amount per season for three or four years would be a smart move, as he has improved, might improve more and most importantly, fits in.

I think Lee might even say he'd resign here for no more than 8 million a year for no more than three years. With the salary cap set to go up significantly, that;s about right for what he gives off the bench. Otherwise he should be traded this offseason for a PF that replaces him. Iguodala still playmakes and defends well. He probably would want to stay and could accept resigning for no more than 6 million a year for some three years. That's about right for what he gives the team and it is important to remember that veteran players are also valuable on a championship contender. Bogut, depending on his health over the next two seasons, should also be kept and he'd probably resign for 9-10 million for some three seasons and that's about right for what he gives, taking into account injury history.

The FO could get it right over the next two or three years and the team could in fact be a contender for another five years or so.
NBAfan3024
RealGM
And1: 7,035

Post#22 » by NBAfan3024 » Thu Jan 29, 2015 8:52 am

Hate to say it but I bet we have to choose
B-King
Rookie
And1: 208

Post#23 » by B-King » Thu Jan 29, 2015 2:17 pm

Bottom line is Draymond is going to get a huge contract next year and I think it will most likely price himself out of the Warriors organization. It is well deserved and kudos to him. I just hope we can do a sign and trade to get an asset back.

I don't see him taking less dollars to stay with Golden State. The Klay Thompson extention opened up Pandora's box.
Left*My*Heart
RealGM
And1: 641

Post#24 » by Left*My*Heart » Thu Jan 29, 2015 5:58 pm

old rem wrote:Well...I'd flip Iggy before deadline fearing his value is going downhill..and I'd LIKE to get some value...or at least an expire.
Kind of flexible about what I get...unless Bogut or Festus get injured again. That covers extending Green. Then after next year.. Lee expires and we get the $ to maybe extend both Barnes and Speights.

Plan b...if Bogut is constantly injured and undependable... We'd need to somehow unload him (if it's not too late) Hopefully.. it won't come to that.

So you are willing to upset the chemistry of the team by moving one of Curry's friends? There isn't anything pressing the Warriors to make a trade, especially a major one by the deadline.

The off season is the time to make a deal if they are going to and everyone but Curry, Klay and Green are available to upgrade the roster. Until then, it is all about winning as many games as possible.
Mylie10
RealGM
And1: 9,612

Post#25 » by Mylie10 » Thu Jan 29, 2015 8:14 pm

I would not even consider unloading Bogut.....I simply want him around when he's available. We are truly a favorite to win when he plays.

But I wouldn't mind finding a guy who can fill in for him when he's not available....someone who could play with him, and for him....tall order.......it's why I really wanted Pau Gasol this off season.
Khoee wrote “
Mav_Carter wrote: my list doesn't matter...I'm pretty much wrong on everything...
floppymoose
Senior Mod - Warriors
Senior Mod - Warriors
And1: 15,798

Post#26 » by floppymoose » Thu Jan 29, 2015 8:34 pm

Front Office has proven two things: their guys are their guys (no Love for Klay trade), and they are always looking to improve while remaining under the cap.

I expect all 5 starters to stay but for e bench to shuffle around.
Twinkie defense
RealGM
And1: 1,082

Post#27 » by Twinkie defense » Fri Jan 30, 2015 1:10 am

oaktownwarriors87 wrote:
Coxy wrote:
oaktownwarriors87 wrote:Look at both of the bulls three-peat title runs. The only common players between the two are Jordan and Pippen.

I see Curry and Klay as our Jordan and Pippen. When you have a good system, a good coach, good management, and good star players it becomes easier to replace the role players.

We resemble the Pistons 2 title teams. The bad boys had 2 lead guards and a big man defender. Same with their early 00's success, 2 guard orientated with big man defender.

If your team has 2 superstar guards, you better have solid big man defenders.

The best player on that Pistons team was Ben Wallace. No one of the Warriors front court comes close to him. How someone could lead the NBA in blocked shots and charges taken is beyond me. That man was a freak.

My point is a guy like Wallace would be nearly impossible to replace. I can't imagine that team playing at an elite level with another center besides Shaq. Our front court players are replaceable. I don't think we could find players that would duplicate their production, but we could find guys that would have similar impacts.

That's right, Ben Wallace was a no-stat freak. Same with the Bull's Rodman. In fact Draymond is basically our Ben Wallace/Dennis Rodman!

Steph/Klay is obviously not enough, you can't just plug random dudes next to them (or the Warriors would have been better when Klay was a rookie). The fact that the Warriors have 3-4 elite defenders (who don't muck up the offensive side) is a huge part of the Warriors success.
old rem
RealGM
And1: 1,080

Post#28 » by old rem » Fri Jan 30, 2015 2:16 am

migya wrote:I think the team will keep both for a little while at least. That article linked above explains it well with the salary situation. I'm surprised it states Green can't get a max contract that will give him next season what Lee is due, which is 15.5 million, that's something to look up. In actual fact, Green being up for an extension this offseason and not a year later might end up being one of the biggest factors for the franchise for the next four years or so because it will mean a few million less a year for him. Barnes isn't worth more than 10 million right now and actually extending him now for that amount per season for three or four years would be a smart move, as he has improved, might improve more and most importantly, fits in.

I think Lee might even say he'd resign here for no more than 8 million a year for no more than three years. With the salary cap set to go up significantly, that;s about right for what he gives off the bench. Otherwise he should be traded this offseason for a PF that replaces him. Iguodala still playmakes and defends well. He probably would want to stay and could accept resigning for no more than 6 million a year for some three years. That's about right for what he gives the team and it is important to remember that veteran players are also valuable on a championship contender. Bogut, depending on his health over the next two seasons, should also be kept and he'd probably resign for 9-10 million for some three seasons and that's about right for what he gives, taking into account injury history.

The FO could get it right over the next two or three years and the team could in fact be a contender for another five years or so.
Iggy gets $12 mill + the next 2 1/2 yr and by then is in his mid 30's. Lee..has a year less. His next deal.. off (like Iggy) being a backup on a good team will NOT be "big $" What Barnes is worth a year from now...take a guess. The numbers ain't there for any $10 mill deal. Dray has been a STUD.. yet is still a short PF who's not a big scorer. NO WAY he sees ANY bid near $15 mill..but $12 mill is possible. GSW just can NOT pay a bunch of Guys and average over $12 mill each. We WILL ultimately pay Curry some Max deal.
I don't have the specific numbers handy.. BUT... you can bet the GSW fron't office has it all on paper.

Thus.. some chatter of trade bah blah + blah for..whatever.. often just does not work. GSW is willing to spend but.. does not want to jam themselves up (like the Knicks always do).
CENSORED... No comment.
cdubbz
RealGM
And1: 2,828

Post#29 » by cdubbz » Fri Jan 30, 2015 4:59 am

If we end up trading Harrison Barnes for a big this off season you know which player i'd love to have to replace him? Mike Dunleavy. Their stats are pretty identical, but Dunleavy is a good ball handler that can be trusted to run the offense.
Kuya wrote: a good agent collects all the data, including quotes to give them leverage in contract deals.
Twinkie defense
RealGM
And1: 1,082

Post#30 » by Twinkie defense » Fri Jan 30, 2015 5:15 am

No no no no no no no no no! No lil' puddin'
B-King
Rookie
And1: 208

Post#31 » by B-King » Fri Jan 30, 2015 4:14 pm

Well on a positive front, Steve Kerr did state that the Draymond Green will be here for the next 8 to 10 years. It is the first quote I heard from anyone in the front office about retaining him.

http://defpenradio.com/steve-kerr-sees- ... -10-years/
Sleepy51
Forum Mod - Warriors
Forum Mod - Warriors
And1: 2,321

Post#32 » by Sleepy51 » Fri Jan 30, 2015 4:25 pm

cdubbz wrote:If we end up trading Harrison Barnes for a big this off season you know which player i'd love to have to replace him? Mike Dunleavy. Their stats are pretty identical, but Dunleavy is a good ball handler that can be trusted to run the offense.

Heh .. I got cussed out by W's fans for suggesting that back when Barnes was playing like a diaper full of Indian food.
Jester_ wrote:Can we trade Draymond Green for Grayson Allen?
East Bay Sports
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,559

Post#33 » by East Bay Sports » Fri Jan 30, 2015 4:35 pm

Barnes is improved, but still completely replaceable. Keep Barnes for the right price or move him before he expires for whatever we can get. I wouldn't let him walk for nothing though.
Mylie10
RealGM
And1: 9,612

Post#34 » by Mylie10 » Fri Jan 30, 2015 4:45 pm

There are bigs in this draft....a bunch of them.

To me it comes down with how they view Barnes and Andre Iguodala longer term.

Draymond is gonna be here per Kerr which is good. I like Draymond at the 4, but want him to swing from the 4-5. Would love to get another long big to answer some of the inside issues. Yes the game has eveolved, and I'm cool with the four out style, but we still need to have a guy long term that is a 4-5 that can add protection for both Bogut and Draymond if possible. Whether that's a draft pick (which is cheaper but a big question mark).....or a veteran that can handle those duties via trade.

For instance Pau Gasol would have been a great fit, had we really gone hard atfer him instead of Love. 7 million? I couldn't believe the Bulls got him for that. Plus they must have promised to start him.

Taj Gibson is a guy I would love to add somehow. He could provide so much for us as a guy who can play 4-5.
Khoee wrote “
Mav_Carter wrote: my list doesn't matter...I'm pretty much wrong on everything...
cdubbz
RealGM
And1: 2,828

Post#35 » by cdubbz » Fri Jan 30, 2015 7:00 pm

I've said this before, but I'd love to move up to secure frank the tank kaminskyyyyyyyyy. If he can just put on some pounds before the season he'll be alright. He can keep adding some weight throughout his rookie contract.
Kuya wrote: a good agent collects all the data, including quotes to give them leverage in contract deals.
Onus
RealGM
And1: 5,262

Post#36 » by Onus » Fri Jan 30, 2015 8:48 pm

I know this is going to sound blasphemous on this board, but I'm curious how replaceable Draymond is on the court. Would a James Johnson be able to provide similar impact in Draymond's place or perhaps a LRMM type player. Someone's who's offense is normally bad to get them limited minutes but is solid/great defensively. I've always thought Deng at the 4 would do wonderfully as well.

I'd love to get Kaminsky as well but he most likely goes in the lottery, I'd rather go with a rim protector who can catch. Should have a slew of options this year.
Most 4th Quarter Points in Final since 1991
1995 Shaquille O'Neal 11.5
2000 Shaquille O'Neal 11.5 (61.1% TS)
2015 Stephen Curry 10.8 (75.1% TS)
1997 Michael Jordan 10.7 (55.1% TS)
1998 Michael Jordan 10.6 (50.6% TS)
2011 Dirk Nowitzki 10.3 (68.0% TS)
oaktownwarriors87
RealGM
And1: 4,354

Post#37 » by oaktownwarriors87 » Fri Jan 30, 2015 9:08 pm

Mylie10 wrote:There are bigs in this draft....a bunch of them.

Draymond is gonna be here per Kerr which is good. I like Draymond at the 4, but want him to swing from the 4-5. Would love to get another long big to answer some of the inside issues. Yes the game has eveolved, and I'm cool with the four out style, but we still need to have a guy long term that is a 4-5 that can add protection for both Bogut and Draymond if possible. Whether that's a draft pick (which is cheaper but a big question mark).....or a veteran that can handle those duties via trade.

For instance Pau Gasol would have been a great fit, had we really gone hard atfer him instead of Love. 7 million? I couldn't believe the Bulls got him for that. Plus they must have promised to start him.

Taj Gibson is a guy I would love to add somehow. He could provide so much for us as a guy who can play 4-5.

Cliff Alexander?
cdubbz wrote:Donte DiVincenzo will outplay Poole this season.
Onus
RealGM
And1: 5,262

Post#38 » by Onus » Fri Jan 30, 2015 10:13 pm

oaktownwarriors87 wrote:
Mylie10 wrote:There are bigs in this draft....a bunch of them.

Cliff Alexander?

He looks small out there.
Most 4th Quarter Points in Final since 1991
1995 Shaquille O'Neal 11.5
2000 Shaquille O'Neal 11.5 (61.1% TS)
2015 Stephen Curry 10.8 (75.1% TS)
1997 Michael Jordan 10.7 (55.1% TS)
1998 Michael Jordan 10.6 (50.6% TS)
2011 Dirk Nowitzki 10.3 (68.0% TS)
SinceGatlingWasARookie
RealGM
And1: 2,688

Post#39 » by SinceGatlingWasARookie » Sat Jan 31, 2015 6:26 am

Steph and Klay have to play with somebody. I see no reason to get rid of either of Green or Barnes. So the Warriors are set at small forward. Klay or Livingston could play Small forward in a pinch.

Holiday may be a quality permanent back up for Klay.

Bogut will get old but I would stick with him if his health holds up. Ezeli looks like he could become a decent center. Maybe keep Speights for a few years.

Holiday and Livingston may make it OK to let Iggy go without replacing him.

Draft some high upside NBDL projects at center, power forward and point guard to hopefully replace Lee, Barbosa and eventually Bogut and Livingston.
Suka Bongcic
Senior
And1: 105

Post#40 » by Suka Bongcic » Wed Feb 4, 2015 11:37 pm

oaktownwarriors87 wrote:
Bandito wrote:
oaktownwarriors87 wrote:
The best player on that Pistons team was Ben Wallace. No one of the Warriors front court comes close to him. How someone could lead the NBA in blocked shots and charges taken is beyond me. That man was a freak.

My point is a guy like Wallace would be nearly impossible to replace. I can't imagine that team playing at an elite level with another center besides Shaq. Our front court players are replaceable. I don't think we could find players that would duplicate their production, but we could find guys that would have similar impacts.

Those Bulls teams had Horace Grant, and then Dennis Rodman. Never been easy to come across guys like that, and it's becoming even harder this day in age.

Yes it's easy to build around a core of Steph and Klay, but I would argue that it would be pretty hard to replace a player like Draymond who could have a similar impact.

Without Draymond Green and Curry/Klay would still dominate the opponents. Finding someone to play PF hasn't been a problem. Even with David Lee they were the best starting lineup in the NBA despite Mark Jackson's best efforts to screw it up.

When you establish a great system with great players and great management it becomes easier to find role players. The Bulls and Spurs are the greatest examples of that. The Warriors are poised to be next.

As long as we have Curry, Klay and Kerr I'm not worried about who they keep, who they trade or who they let go. These guys will make just about anyone look good and I trust management to make good decisions.

I don't think players like Draymond Green are easily replaceable. He brings so much to the table. Seems like he's involved on every play on the defensive side on the court. Sure klay and steph are amazing, but draymonds play this season has been equally impressive IMO. Sure, he takes some bad shots, but his defense, passing and will to dominate has to be infectious. Steve Kerr replacing MJax has been a huge upgrade and part of the reason we're a much better team. IMO, draymonds play has been almost as important to our improvement as has the addition of Kerr. Gotta keep draymond. Have to

Return to Golden State Warriors