ImageImageImageImageImage

What should we do with Barnes?

Moderators: Chris Porter's Hair, floppymoose, Sleepy51

What to do with Barnes?

Leave him alone and let him use this off season to add more polish to his game?
63%
Trade him this off season to move up in the draft?
16%
Trade him with Lee, in order to find a trade partner for Lee easier?
18%
Trade him for scraps because he's trash?
2%

Total votes: 49

FNQ
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 20,007

Re: What should we do with Barnes? 

Post#201 » by FNQ » Wed Apr 15, 2015 5:17 pm

Onus wrote:Barnes' defense isn't good, it's not Avi Lee bad, but it's definitely not something to point to as being a positive.

82games.com (which inexplicably has Green at SF, and Barnes at PF) shows that Barnes' matchups are shooting 49.5% eFG on him, not getting to the line much, and he's handily out-rebounding them. I think his role on defense is more advanced than it is on offense at this point, and he's in the average to above-average area, IMO. That said, based on overall team metrics, he still might grade out as the worst defender of our starting 5. But that shouldn't take away from the fact that he's been pretty solid there. If we do deal him, I will be far harder to replace his defensive output than his offensive.
Mylie10
RealGM
And1: 9,612

Post#202 » by Mylie10 » Wed Apr 15, 2015 5:29 pm

Twinkie defense wrote:
Mylie10 wrote:Barnes to Philly for Robert Covington, the 18th pick and the 35th pick?

With the 18th pick I take Montrez Harrell from Louiseville....With 35 I take Michael Frazier as my sharp shooter. Harrell is a fringing beast who reminds me of a bigger Kenneth Faried and more offensive game.

If Philly demands the 30th pick, I say ok, because it saves you the guaranteed money you have to pay.

I really like Covingtons game too. Nice cheap influx of young talent to bring in and groom.

Just not the Philly MO.

Sacramento seems like a likely trade partner - all the former Warriors over there and trying to implement George Karl's schemes. Barnes would look nice next to cousins, don't you think?

Not the Philly MO?

Barnes is young. He could fit with Their young roster as a young veteran. They have 2 first round picks, with 18 being the lower first. They have 2 second rounders with 35 being the second. If we had to include the 30th, they have plenty of cap space, so that late first is less of a guaranteed hit to them, than it is for us.

It would all depend on how they view Barnes....I guarantee that some front office people around the league view Barnes as being under-utilized, and that he could be a bigger option on offense for their team. Guaranteed. (not how I view him by the way).
Khoee wrote “
Mav_Carter wrote: my list doesn't matter...I'm pretty much wrong on everything...
Mylie10
RealGM

Post#203 » by Mylie10 » Wed Apr 15, 2015 5:33 pm

By the way...for reference...Here is Harrell, who I describe as a Kenneth Faried type with a more polished offensive game.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Io-dBFUDCGI[/youtube]

I don't care that he's older, I like that and he could play right away. He's a hard nosed defender and leader in the Draymond Green mode, but obviously there's only one Draymond. But if this kid were backing up, or playing with Draymond, you now have another effing beast to add to the mix.

I'm telling you dudes, this guy is under-rated. Its not just about highlight dunks with him, he can actually do a lot more of offense.
Khoee wrote “
Mav_Carter wrote: my list doesn't matter...I'm pretty much wrong on everything...
cdubbz
RealGM
And1: 2,828

Post#204 » by cdubbz » Wed Apr 15, 2015 6:25 pm

I love Barnes, but if there is a trade for him then i would explore it. He is definitely serviceable and is a role player, but i don't think he will reach his potential. Lots of rookies look promising though.
Kuya wrote: a good agent collects all the data, including quotes to give them leverage in contract deals.
Onus
RealGM
And1: 5,263

Post#205 » by Onus » Wed Apr 15, 2015 6:39 pm

FNQ wrote:
Onus wrote:Barnes' defense isn't good, it's not Avi Lee bad, but it's definitely not something to point to as being a positive.

82games.com (which inexplicably has Green at SF, and Barnes at PF) shows that Barnes' matchups are shooting 49.5% eFG on him, not getting to the line much, and he's handily out-rebounding them. I think his role on defense is more advanced than it is on offense at this point, and he's in the average to above-average area, IMO. That said, based on overall team metrics, he still might grade out as the worst defender of our starting 5. But that shouldn't take away from the fact that he's been pretty solid there. If we do deal him, I will be far harder to replace his defensive output than his offensive.

I can't trust 82games.com because they have Barnes listed at PF and Green SF.

http://www.goldenstateofmind.com/2015/4 ... inner-2015

I think Barnes is average on defense and that's solid at least he's not giving up too much. But for people to tout Barnes' defense as an impact defender is just false. He's not on Danny Green or Demarre Carroll's level defensively.
Most 4th Quarter Points in Final since 1991
1995 Shaquille O'Neal 11.5
2000 Shaquille O'Neal 11.5 (61.1% TS)
2015 Stephen Curry 10.8 (75.1% TS)
1997 Michael Jordan 10.7 (55.1% TS)
1998 Michael Jordan 10.6 (50.6% TS)
2011 Dirk Nowitzki 10.3 (68.0% TS)
Mylie10
RealGM

Post#206 » by Mylie10 » Wed Apr 15, 2015 7:05 pm

I don't see Danny Green as an impact defender. He's good, but impact...no. Barnes is decent or solid as a defender. I actually like how he guards bigger guys. We have so much switching attached to our defense, that some of the computations are skewed as to who's guarding who and at what position at any given moment.
Khoee wrote “
Onus
RealGM

Post#207 » by Onus » Wed Apr 15, 2015 7:26 pm

Mylie10 wrote:I don't see Danny Green as an impact defender. He's good, but impact...no. Barnes is decent or solid as a defender. I actually like how he guards bigger guys. We have so much switching attached to our defense, that some of the computations are skewed as to who's guarding who and at what position at any given moment.

I know drpm isn't a great indicator because of bleed through but Danny Green is a positive impact defender by that metric.

http://espn.go.com/nba/statistics/rpm/_ ... position/2

*(admittedly by this same stat Barnes is better than Carroll, maybe I need to watch the Hawks more)

Also he's part of the reason why the Spurs will give us trouble because they have 2 good to great perimeter defenders in Kawhi and Green who they can stick on Curry and Klay. Green to me is most definitely an impact defender, too lazy to bring up any other metrics right now but my eyes are telling me that he is.
Mylie10
RealGM

Post#208 » by Mylie10 » Wed Apr 15, 2015 7:41 pm

Danny is good...not saying he isn't. impact? not to me.

Kawhi is a beast defender and if not injured might be the DPOY. I still think that Duncan is still impact based on his mental affect to those playing against him. They also have great TEAM defense like we do, so I think both Barnes and Danny are impacted by their teams.

Kawhi is the x factor to me, and so far he's the most dominant player in the matchups.
Khoee wrote “
turk3d
RealGM
And1: 1,277

Post#209 » by turk3d » Wed Apr 15, 2015 7:46 pm

Onus wrote:
FNQ wrote:

I can't trust 82games.com because they have Barnes listed at PF and Green SF.

http://www.goldenstateofmind.com/2015/4 ... inner-2015

I think Barnes is average on defense and that's solid at least he's not giving up too much. But for people to tout Barnes' defense as an impact defender is just false. He's not on Danny Green or Demarre Carroll's level defensively.

I agree more or less with your assessment of Barnes defense. The only difference is that I believe he will get incrementally better, doesn't take much improvement to take a step up the ladder when it comes to D and it usually shows.
Draymond Green: Exemplifies Warrior Leadership, Hustle, Desire, Versatility, Toughness, fearlessness, Grit, Heart,Team Spirit, Sacrifice
Onus
RealGM

Post#210 » by Onus » Wed Apr 15, 2015 8:19 pm

Mylie10 wrote:Danny is good...not saying he isn't. impact? not to me.

Kawhi is a beast defender and if not injured might be the DPOY. I still think that Duncan is still impact based on his mental affect to those playing against him. They also have great TEAM defense like we do, so I think both Barnes and Danny are impacted by their teams.

Kawhi is the x factor to me, and so far he's the most dominant player in the matchups.

I think impact defender means you don't have break down in rotations, not so much in 1v1 matchups but in team defense. Individual defense can only take you so far as being an impact defender
ILOVEIT
RealGM
And1: 3,407

Post#211 » by ILOVEIT » Wed Apr 15, 2015 8:59 pm

Unless I can get a star type...why mess with it...Even IF Barnes was better offensively...do you really want him taking shots away from Klay and Curry...?

Barnes is big and strong....rebounds...can hit the three....is a great chemistry guy and WILL GET BETTER.....

Basically...it ain't broke....

Now if you could trade Barnes with Lee for Cousins....I would risk the chemistry issues for the HUGE upgrade at PF. But that is not likely to happen....
2021/22 - The return of the Ring.
Onus
RealGM

Post#212 » by Onus » Wed Apr 15, 2015 10:01 pm

Zach Lowe whom is one of the better analyst writers out there has Danny Green as 2nd team all defense. He also puts Demarre Carroll as an honorable mention ... fwiw

http://grantland.com/the-triangle/nba-a ... am-effort/
turk3d
RealGM

Post#213 » by turk3d » Wed Apr 15, 2015 10:05 pm

Interesting. Wasn't it the Atlanta game against Demarre Carroll that Barnes shot 11-13?
Draymond Green: Exemplifies Warrior Leadership, Hustle, Desire, Versatility, Toughness, fearlessness, Grit, Heart,Team Spirit, Sacrifice
CCComboBreaker
Rookie
And1: 115

Post#214 » by CCComboBreaker » Wed Apr 15, 2015 10:32 pm

turk3d wrote:Interesting. Wasn't it the Atlanta game against Demarre Carroll that Barnes shot 11-13?

LOL

ILOVEIT wrote:Unless I can get a star type...why mess with it...Even IF Barnes was better offensively...do you really want him taking shots away from Klay and Curry...?

Which is what I've been saying all along. People are vastly underrating Barnes' efficiency. An offensive improvement albeit at the cost of efficiency is going backwards.
Suka Bongcic
Senior
And1: 105

Post#215 » by Suka Bongcic » Thu Apr 16, 2015 5:11 am

We just won 67 games. Why would we want to mess whit what we have? Makes zero sense to tinker with this teams chemistry. Zero sense
Twinkie defense
RealGM
And1: 1,082

Post#216 » by Twinkie defense » Thu Apr 16, 2015 5:28 am

Mylie10 wrote:
Twinkie defense wrote:
Mylie10 wrote:Barnes to Philly for Robert Covington, the 18th pick and the 35th pick?

With the 18th pick I take Montrez Harrell from Louiseville....With 35 I take Michael Frazier as my sharp shooter. Harrell is a fringing beast who reminds me of a bigger Kenneth Faried and more offensive game.

If Philly demands the 30th pick, I say ok, because it saves you the guaranteed money you have to pay.

I really like Covingtons game too. Nice cheap influx of young talent to bring in and groom.

Just not the Philly MO.

Sacramento seems like a likely trade partner - all the former Warriors over there and trying to implement George Karl's schemes. Barnes would look nice next to cousins, don't you think?

Not the Philly MO?

Barnes is young. He could fit with Their young roster as a young veteran. They have 2 first round picks, with 18 being the lower first. They have 2 second rounders with 35 being the second. If we had to include the 30th, they have plenty of cap space, so that late first is less of a guaranteed hit to them, than it is for us.

It would all depend on how they view Barnes....I guarantee that some front office people around the league view Barnes as being under-utilized, and that he could be a bigger option on offense for their team. Guaranteed. (not how I view him by the way).

They traded ROY MCW right? They want picks, not veteran players. And when they do draft a guy they have a very specific player profile. For one, they like guys with massive wingspan. I'm not looking at measurements, but that's not Barnes, is it?
Twinkie defense
RealGM
And1: 1,082

Post#217 » by Twinkie defense » Thu Apr 16, 2015 5:33 am

Black Falcon wrote:We just won 67 games. Why would we want to mess whit what we have? Makes zero sense to tinker with this teams chemistry. Zero sense

You don't want to screw with chemistry, for sure. Is Barnes key to chemistry? IDK. FO has to be concerned with the long term though, not just the immediate future. For example, if they are going to sign KD, do you want a big deal for Barnes messing that up?
Kuya
Assistant Coach
And1: 808

Post#218 » by Kuya » Thu Apr 16, 2015 5:40 am

I really don't know how much value we'd get back with Barnes. I don't mind him on the roster next year, but he should not be off the trade black. He's our best trade asset that's not part of our core (Splash Bros, Draymond, Bogut).
turk3d
RealGM

Post#219 » by turk3d » Thu Apr 16, 2015 11:46 am

Twinkie defense wrote:
Black Falcon wrote:We just won 67 games. Why would we want to mess whit what we have? Makes zero sense to tinker with this teams chemistry. Zero sense

You don't want to screw with chemistry, for sure. Is Barnes key to chemistry? IDK. FO has to be concerned with the long term though, not just the immediate future. For example, if they are going to sign KD, do you want a big deal for Barnes messing that up?

If he continues to improve, then he perhaps becomes a trade asset for OKC is Durant truly decides to leave. Durant = SF/PF, Barnes - SF.PF. They're going to need to replace him and if we're short on money (all this is based on the conjecture that Durant will decide to leave and come here) we just don't exercise his QO if needed to acquire the necessary capspace to sign him directly. No problem either way the I see it.
turk3d
RealGM

Post#220 » by turk3d » Thu Apr 16, 2015 11:46 am

Kuya wrote:I really don't know how much value we'd get back with Barnes. I don't mind him on the roster next year, but he should not be off the trade black. He's our best trade asset that's not part of our core (Splash Bros, Draymond, Bogut).

Now you're coming to your sense Kuya.

Return to Golden State Warriors