How to stop Anthony Davis 

Post#1 » by Kuya » Fri Apr 17, 2015 7:16 pm

What would be your plan?
Twinkie defense
RealGM
And1: 1,082

Re: How to stop Anthony Davis 

Post#2 » by Twinkie defense » Fri Apr 17, 2015 7:38 pm

I'm sure the coaches have some plans for that. I think I would just play him one on one with Draymond, Bogut, Festus, make other guys beat us. Hopefully Warriors don't have to show all their cards yet in order to advance out of the first round. And if we go into game four three games up, leave it at that. If we lose one of the first two at home. or game 3 in NOLA, start trotting out your secret weapons.

IDK what my plan to neutralize him might be, he doesn't have a lot of weaknesses. Maybe try to force him to shoot from outside, and when he comes onto the block double him, try to force him to give up the ball or turn it over.
turk3d
RealGM
And1: 1,277

Post#3 » by turk3d » Fri Apr 17, 2015 7:49 pm

Bogutize or Greentonite.
Draymond Green: Exemplifies Warrior Leadership, Hustle, Desire, Versatility, Toughness, fearlessness, Grit, Heart,Team Spirit, Sacrifice
californiadude
Sixth Man
And1: 218

Post#4 » by californiadude » Fri Apr 17, 2015 7:49 pm

Pray....
DLeagueAllStars
Head Coach
And1: 246

Post#5 » by DLeagueAllStars » Fri Apr 17, 2015 7:56 pm

If u have watched basketball long enough the answer is easy...

U dont... its why he is a top 5 player... best option is let him get 25-30 and shut everyone else down
turk3d
RealGM
And1: 1,277

Post#6 » by turk3d » Fri Apr 17, 2015 8:25 pm

11 Things you wanted to know about AD (ESPN article, let's see if they change the link on me again):

http://espn.go.com/nba/playoffs/2015/st ... hony-davis

8. Davis has played the Warriors to a virtual dead heat

The Warriors were 3-1 in the regular-season series against the Pelicans, but that's a bit misleading. Two of those games came with Davis on the sideline. In fact, the Warriors enjoyed just a four-point edge in the 78 minutes that Davis was on the floor (171-167), underlining how pivotal Davis' health is in the overall picture.

Davis' defensive impact was felt on the scoreboard. With Davis on the floor, the Warriors mustered just 103.4 points per 100 possessions, well below their 115.6 mark with Davis riding pine in the regular-season series. For the Pelicans to have a chance, Davis needs to be on the floor as much as possible.
Draymond Green: Exemplifies Warrior Leadership, Hustle, Desire, Versatility, Toughness, fearlessness, Grit, Heart,Team Spirit, Sacrifice
bakesale
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,776

How to stop Anthony Davis 

Post#7 » by bakesale » Fri Apr 17, 2015 8:39 pm

DLeagueAllStars wrote:If u have watched basketball long enough the answer is easy...

U dont... its why he is a top 5 player... best option is let him get 25-30 and shut everyone else down

I'm with you on this, I think play him straight up with Draymond green. Just be physical with and just stay on his hip, always take inside position, ie don't help too high off a pick n roll otherwise he will roll and get an alley oop with ease.
He's a better shooter than Griffin and almost as good as Aldridge, but I think the best bet is if he wins the game with mid range jump shots then so be it, just don't let anything inside.

I'd be wary of doubling him cos tyreke is savvy and instinctual, he will see an open lane and attack it and likely go for and 1s which will wreak havoc on our defence. Otherwise their could be wide open 3s available for Gordon or even worse Ryan Anderson. You don't want the subsidiary players getting hot in a playoff game because that is what will create chaos for the defence. It'll be one thing if Davis is hot, it'll be a whole other beast if the rest of his team its rolling too.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
The-Power
General Manager
And1: 9,080

Post#8 » by The-Power » Fri Apr 17, 2015 8:58 pm

I think we'll start one-on-one with Draymond, maybe switch to Bogut occasionally or even Ezeli at times. As soon as he goes off, you start to be more aggressive on him with increased help defense effort - I wouldn't double-team him other than in certain prior defined situations. The key is going to be how well we can defend the PnR with AD and if we can create enough good looks from the 3pt-line against a team which is good at defending the long distance shot.

I'm confident but not arrogant. It's not going to be easy, but of course we should advance in this series if we manage to play up to our standards.
spin_cycle
Sophomore
And1: 153

Post#9 » by spin_cycle » Fri Apr 17, 2015 9:27 pm

How did Spurs stop Lebron last year ?
Kawhi tried to limit Lebron without requiring a double team. The other Spurs shut down the other Heat players, limiting ball movement. On the other end, Heat could not do anything to stop the Spurs ball movement.

Warriors use a similar strategy. Davis alone cant win this series. Bogut/Lee/Green/Ezeli need to limit Davis to his average performance, make sure he doesnt go for 40/20. Pelicans D cannot stop the Warriors O.
and1GS
RealGM
And1: 2,726
Location: home of 4x champs, 1x AS starter, supporter of checkbook wins and all-time weakest moves

Post#10 » by and1GS » Fri Apr 17, 2015 9:41 pm

Who guards him? I'm not familiar with AD ever since he turned into the gladiator he is today.
"The dynasty doesn't start with you, it starts after you" :lol: :lol:

KevinMcreynolds wrote:hopefully JK laid some pipe on the strip as well, gotta get those reps in
Coxy
RealGM
And1: 14,656

Post#11 » by Coxy » Fri Apr 17, 2015 10:36 pm

Kuya wrote:What would be your plan?

Coxy
RealGM
And1: 14,656

Post#12 » by Coxy » Fri Apr 17, 2015 10:38 pm

Seriously though, this is Greens job. Bogut to help, but Asik will need covering as he can finish. AD will get Bogut into foul trouble through quickness, and Davis can step back and hit 18 footers. We don't want Bogut out there, so this is a job for Draymond.

I'd like to see Festus get some time on Davis to get really physical with him.
JimmyTD3
Banned User
And1: 1,640

Post#13 » by JimmyTD3 » Fri Apr 17, 2015 11:42 pm

You don't stop Anthony Davis, just like how you don't stop Curry, LeBron, Durant, Harden, or Westbrook. They'll get theirs.

Don't see the need to worry about it though. He'll get his 25-35 per game, and we'll end up winning handily anyway. Last time I checked teams usually score around 90-100 points in games, right?
Twinkie defense
RealGM
And1: 1,082

Post#14 » by Twinkie defense » Fri Apr 17, 2015 11:43 pm

That article was interesting - Pels are worse with Davis alongside Asik, better with Davis alongside Anderson. Warriors are well prepared to be able to guard Davis in the paint while not losing sight of Anderson. We can play every style :)
likashing
Head Coach
And1: 1,959

Post#15 » by likashing » Sat Apr 18, 2015 12:17 am

I'd put David Lee on him to lure Davis to go for 50.

Seriously, we will win even if Davis has a great 40-20 game. We will lose if one of their X-factors go off - Evans, Jrue Holiday, Eric Gordon... any of those 3 X-factors go off, or somehow Ryan Anderson hits 7+ 3s... we will be in trouble.
Mark Jackson wrote:Playoff preparation is overrated... I’m going to get my rest. I’m not going to grow old and be stressed out and get gray hair.
Quazza
Head Coach
And1: 1,727

Post#16 » by Quazza » Sat Apr 18, 2015 1:28 am

play him reeaaaaallllll physical, switching stints between Bogut and Draymond
KevinMcreynolds wrote:BIG DICK BOB DOIN WORK

KGdaBom wrote:You can go back and read every post I made. Never said one bad thing about one person until Coxy came up with his Vagiclean comment
B-King
Rookie
And1: 206

Post#17 » by B-King » Sat Apr 18, 2015 2:22 am

I would start Bogut on him first to start leaning on him and to try to keep Green from getting into early foul trouble. The rest of the game this will be Green's job with Bogut or Ezeli to help at the rim. Occasional double team should come from Barnes.
cj03
Starter
And1: 154

Post#18 » by cj03 » Sat Apr 18, 2015 2:24 am

Whoever is guarding Pondexter or Ryno CANNOT help off. If you're guarding Tyreke though, have at it.
Mylie10
RealGM
And1: 9,612

Post#19 » by Mylie10 » Sat Apr 18, 2015 2:25 am

Kuya wrote:What would be your plan?

The "Nancy Kerrigan" treatment
Khoee wrote “
Mav_Carter wrote: my list doesn't matter...I'm pretty much wrong on everything...
clyde21
RealGM
And1: 69,185

Re: 

Post#20 » by clyde21 » Sat Apr 18, 2015 2:41 am

DLeagueAllStars wrote:If u have watched basketball long enough the answer is easy...

Yup. Davis is gonna get his no matter what. Our focus should be to make sure no one else on that team gets their's.

Return to Golden State Warriors