ImageImageImageImageImage

Gentry to be Bulls target if Hoiberg turns down the job?

Moderators: Chris Porter's Hair, floppymoose, Sleepy51

Jester_
General Manager
And1: 1,047

Re: Gentry to be Bulls target if Hoiberg turns down the job? 

Post#21 » by Jester_ » Wed May 20, 2015 4:53 pm

I think some guys are just more suited to being an assistant coach than a head coach, and gentry is one of them. His strengths are amazing, but his weaknesses will reveal themselves 10x more in an HC position.
GQ Hot Dog wrote:Kerr has done more with the least talent available of any coach in the history of the game.
Onus
RealGM
And1: 5,260

Post#22 » by Onus » Wed May 20, 2015 5:06 pm

Jester_ wrote:I think some guys are just more suited to being an assistant coach than a head coach, and gentry is one of them. His strengths are amazing, but his weaknesses will reveal themselves 10x more in an HC position.

Any insight on what those weaknesses are? i didn't really follow that suns team
Most 4th Quarter Points in Final since 1991
1995 Shaquille O'Neal 11.5
2000 Shaquille O'Neal 11.5 (61.1% TS)
2015 Stephen Curry 10.8 (75.1% TS)
1997 Michael Jordan 10.7 (55.1% TS)
1998 Michael Jordan 10.6 (50.6% TS)
2011 Dirk Nowitzki 10.3 (68.0% TS)
Jester_
General Manager
And1: 1,047

Post#23 » by Jester_ » Wed May 20, 2015 5:19 pm

Onus wrote:
Jester_ wrote:I think some guys are just more suited to being an assistant coach than a head coach, and gentry is one of them. His strengths are amazing, but his weaknesses will reveal themselves 10x more in an HC position.

Any insight on what those weaknesses are? i didn't really follow that suns team

He's not good at in-game adjustments and his defensive ideas are very strange -- I saw him do random switches on the weak side between Nash-Frye onto an opponent's 5. I've never really seen anything like it. Maybe it's his age or something, but he'd frequently be slow on timeouts, rotations and generally be poor at adjusting in game.

Just what I saw anyway. Most Suns fans weren't hot on him.
GQ Hot Dog wrote:Kerr has done more with the least talent available of any coach in the history of the game.
Twinkie defense
RealGM
And1: 1,082

Post#24 » by Twinkie defense » Thu May 21, 2015 5:14 am

bakesale wrote:
thinkingwarriors wrote:I would mind a lot more if Ron Adams left but he doesn't seem to be head coaching material. Why did the Bulls ever fire the guy in the first place?
I was told Adams was responsible for making rose play before he was ready, the result as we all knew was that rose got injured again quick smart. A very firable offence if you ask me.

I get the sense he's learnt his lesson as our players seem to like him.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums

No, it was a FO power play, as simple as that.
Mylie10
RealGM
And1: 9,612

Post#25 » by Mylie10 » Thu May 21, 2015 3:58 pm

If New Orleans offers him the job....How does he turn down Anthony Davis?
Khoee wrote “
Mav_Carter wrote: my list doesn't matter...I'm pretty much wrong on everything...
RoyalMajesty
Banned User
And1: 1,278

Post#26 » by RoyalMajesty » Fri May 22, 2015 4:53 pm

If Ron Adams tag along with Tom Thibodeaux to whenever he goes next, I would really consider Mike Brown as the defensive assistant coach. He's not head coaching material, but what he's really good at is defense.
RoyalMajesty
Banned User

Post#27 » by RoyalMajesty » Fri May 22, 2015 4:55 pm

I know this name will be brought up sooner or later, but what about Mike D'Antoni as the offensive assistant coach if Alvin Gentry leaves?
East Bay Sports
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,559

Post#28 » by East Bay Sports » Fri May 22, 2015 5:10 pm

RoyalMajesty wrote:If Ron Adams tag along with Tom Thibodeaux to whenever he goes next, I would really consider Mike Brown as the defensive assistant coach. He's not head coaching material, but what he's really good at is defense.

0 reason to believe that happens
RoyalMajesty
Banned User

Post#29 » by RoyalMajesty » Fri May 22, 2015 5:52 pm

East Bay Sports wrote:
RoyalMajesty wrote:If Ron Adams tag along with Tom Thibodeaux to whenever he goes next, I would really consider Mike Brown as the defensive assistant coach. He's not head coaching material, but what he's really good at is defense.

0 reason to believe that happens

I don't think it will happen either, but just in case, that would be my choice or another name Scott Skiles.
OptionZero
Starter
And1: 1,828

Post#30 » by OptionZero » Fri May 22, 2015 8:40 pm

RoyalMajesty wrote:I know this name will be brought up sooner or later, but what about Mike D'Antoni as the offensive assistant coach if Alvin Gentry leaves?

Don't recall reading about this - what is Kerr and D'Antoni's relationship? Didn't Kerr come in, not get along with Mike, then bring in Gentry?

The only thing I remember is Kerr admitting he should have worked on communicating ideas with Mike better.

I kinda want Monty Williams as an offensive assistant. He had some good X/O moments, and has good rep for player communication which is what Gentry is good at. He wouldn't need to manage minutes or TOs.

Return to Golden State Warriors