ImageImageImageImageImage

Unbelievable! League fines Curry for Flop. WTF?

Moderators: Chris Porter's Hair, floppymoose, Sleepy51

a8bil
Analyst
And1: 1,674

Re: Unbelievable! League fines Curry for Flop. WTF? 

Post#41 » by a8bil » Sat May 23, 2015 12:04 am

Twinkie defense wrote:I don't buy the "trying to protect his ankles" excuse. Did Steph say that? Sounds like pure BS, trying to make some excuse after the fact. Seems to me he is just trying to get a call. I don't like guys selling calls - it's like crying wolf, and once you are known to be an actor you're not going to get the calls when you are genuinely fouled.

I'm OK with seeking contact in order to lure the defender into fouling you - if there is real contact that's one thing; if there is fake or extremely exaggerated contact that's what I have a problem with.

You should buy it. One of the most common causes of knee injuries is landing awkwardly after jumping. Did you see CArroll's knee injury? It was a simple straight legged plant that hyperextended it. How many times in football have you seen a player jump up and land straight legged, blowing out an ACL. It is way too common and I think Curry was just trying to ensure a soft, no injury landing. I don't recall him getting up and complaining about a foul, do you? Doesn't that tell you his intent?
FNQ
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 20,007

Post#42 » by FNQ » Sat May 23, 2015 2:17 am

Twinkie defense wrote:I don't buy the "trying to protect his ankles" excuse. Did Steph say that? Sounds like pure BS, trying to make some excuse after the fact. Seems to me he is just trying to get a call. I don't like guys selling calls - it's like crying wolf, and once you are known to be an actor you're not going to get the calls when you are genuinely fouled.

I'm OK with seeking contact in order to lure the defender into fouling you - if there is real contact that's one thing; if there is fake or extremely exaggerated contact that's what I have a problem with.

So youd rather Curry take as much direct force to the tailbone as possible? Maybe hyperextend his knee, or roll his right ankle again?

Physics isnt BS. His right leg waa moved forward - the only thing in question is whether or not he moved it there intentionally to draw a foul. His reaction after that was one to diminish direct force to his legs and, if balance was really compromised, ass. Dont believe me? Try it out yourself, and keep your right leg stiff. If you can, film it for lolz too.. I guarantee you'll instinctively take a tumble and push yourself horizontally to reduce the force.
Twinkie defense
RealGM
And1: 1,082

Post#43 » by Twinkie defense » Sat May 23, 2015 4:58 am

If Steph Curry is so fragile that he has to hurl himself to the ground after three point attempts in order not to be injured, he shouldn't be out there on the floor.

Of course I don't believe that's the case, I think he just has a tendancy to flop on threes.

Steve Kerr nailed it.
turk3d
RealGM
And1: 1,277

Post#44 » by turk3d » Sat May 23, 2015 10:37 am

Twinkie defense wrote:If Steph Curry is so fragile that he has to hurl himself to the ground after three point attempts in order not to be injured, he shouldn't be out there on the floor.

Of course I don't believe that's the case, I think he just has a tendancy to flop on threes.

Steve Kerr nailed it.

If you don't think that players on opposing teams aren't trying to take him out (not bad strategy, take out the MVP and your best player) then you're missing it, Twinkie. Just listen to Charles talk about how he'd be playing him if he still were a player. Especially with all the stars this year who've been dropping like flies due to injury. As far as I'm concerned Curry can flop all day if it helps to keep him from getting injured and if the dumb league wants to fine him for it every time, so be it.

As long as they aren't issuing any Ts to him or threatening to suspend him, I guess I'm OK with that too (as long as they start doing the same to the other guys who are really flopping as well and who've been getting away with it for so long). However, I do think it's dumb and that's not a flop as far as the spirit of the rule is concerned imo. There's absolutely no question in my mind that when Steph shoots, he's looking to avoid contact, not initiate it like so many of the real floppers do.
Draymond Green: Exemplifies Warrior Leadership, Hustle, Desire, Versatility, Toughness, fearlessness, Grit, Heart,Team Spirit, Sacrifice
Mylie10
RealGM
And1: 9,612

Post#45 » by Mylie10 » Sat May 23, 2015 8:33 pm

Twinkie defense wrote:If Steph Curry is so fragile that he has to hurl himself to the ground after three point attempts in order not to be injured, he shouldn't be out there on the floor.

Steve Kerr nailed it.

I think its more a situation of both landing, or not lading on someones foot, and in turn possibly injuring himself. And also a situation of trying to draw fouls much like Crawford and others do.

I don't blame him one bit. And there was contact from T. Jones on the lower body of Curry...while Curry embellished, it doesn't take away the fact that he was hit down there and in order to land right, and also follow through on the shot, he contorted his body.

Remember last seasons playoffs where Chris Paul, very subtly pushed Curry's mid section on a three that would of and should have put Curry on the line shooting 3 free throws and winning us that game. But Curry didn't flail and embellish, he took the contact because he was shoved...and guess what? No call from the Refs and we lose.

Sometimes its ugly, but you have to fight for everything you get.
Khoee wrote “
Mav_Carter wrote: my list doesn't matter...I'm pretty much wrong on everything...
turk3d
RealGM
And1: 1,277

Post#46 » by turk3d » Sat May 23, 2015 10:54 pm

Mylie10 wrote:

Steve Kerr nailed it.

I think its more a situation of both landing, or not lading on someones foot, and in turn possibly injuring himself. And also a situation of trying to draw fouls much like Crawford and others do.

I don't blame him one bit. And there was contact from T. Jones on the lower body of Curry...while Curry embellished, it doesn't take away the fact that he was hit down there and in order to land right, and also follow through on the shot, he contorted his body.

Remember last seasons playoffs where Chris Paul, very subtly pushed Curry's mid section on a three that would of and should have put Curry on the line shooting 3 free throws and winning us that game. But Curry didn't flail and embellish, he took the contact because he was shoved...and guess what? No call from the Refs and we lose.

Sometimes its ugly, but you have to fight for everything you get.

Do you really think he "embellished" Mylie? He did all that you described, but he wasn't trying to draw a foul there, if he was, he would have stayed down and made believe he was hurt (like we see most floppers do). It really didn't look like anything close to a flop to me. Landing to protect yourself in order to prevent an injury is nothing of the sort imo.
Draymond Green: Exemplifies Warrior Leadership, Hustle, Desire, Versatility, Toughness, fearlessness, Grit, Heart,Team Spirit, Sacrifice
GQ Hot Dog
General Manager
And1: 5,016

Post#47 » by GQ Hot Dog » Sat May 23, 2015 11:00 pm

It's an involuntary reaction! Steph hits the deck basically every time he shoots a jumper and someone is near him. It's a good reaction to have, anything to protect those legs. People got to support the guy for looking out for his health, team success and his career more generally. Cut it out with this flopping narrative/agenda/solid gold take.
The hottest of takes...
Jester_ wrote:Hot take: Moses Moody shows the potential to be a star/#2 option ala Lauri Markkanen. Both the eye test and the advanced stats show a player with extremely high slope.
Mylie10
RealGM
And1: 9,612

Post#48 » by Mylie10 » Sun May 24, 2015 12:04 am

He doesn't fall to the floor as much as some are saying...yet does it on occasion and it has a lasting impression, but let's not use terms like...always, every time, etc....its an exaggeration.
Khoee wrote “
Mav_Carter wrote: my list doesn't matter...I'm pretty much wrong on everything...
Twinkie defense
RealGM
And1: 1,082

Post#49 » by Twinkie defense » Sun May 24, 2015 10:59 pm

Before he ever got fined for flopping I thought many times he falls down a lot on the three. Maybe the League incentivizes it, from how they call it I often can't see what is a foul and what isn't. Still don't like it though, no matter who does it. Fight to stay on your feet and in the play, not to throw yourself down.

Return to Golden State Warriors