ImageImageImageImageImage

With the 30th Pick in the 2015 Draft, Champions Golden State Warriors select Kevon Looney

Moderators: Chris Porter's Hair, floppymoose, Sleepy51

GSWarriors22
Sophomore
And1: 15

Re: With the 30th Pick in the 2015 Draft, Champions Golden State Warriors select Kevon Looney 

Post#281 » by GSWarriors22 » Fri Jul 17, 2015 7:17 pm

As I said before, im pretty sure that if Looney went undrafted or was a second round pick, nobody would give him a second thought, let alone give him a roster-spot. So why look at him any different because of his guaranteed contract?

Maybe some wouldn't notice, but who cares? Regardless, he happens to be our pick, having a guaranteed contract, so you're really wondering why he gets more attention? Also, his summer league performances might not be particularly impressive but people looking at his skills and age - and they see some good things. Maybe he can build on that, maybe not. But it's really weird to criticize fans for having a closer look at such a guy.[/quote]

Im not critizing ppl for taking a closer look, im critizing that people say he is a good prospect because we draftet him 30, and not becasue of his play. And as a result, I believe nobody would see it the same way if he was just an invitee.

Indeed, we don't need to hype him. If you believe stating positive aspects about his game, character or chances to develop is hyping that's your problem. But I'm not sure many would agree with you because they know what hyping players looks like in reality.

Stating positives of someones game is cool and all, but leaving out the bad stuff goes into the direction of hyping a player and not being objective.

But great that you mentioned that he's 'only' our 30th pick. Because it's pretty ironic that this was my - and some other poster's - reaction to your tirade about this pick. People stated that he has some nice tools but is a long-term project who might not pan out but that this is normal for the 30th pick. But you acted like we passed up on dozens of potentially high-impact players.

Precisely why I said what I said. Whats the deal, 30 Pick so it doesn't matter if he is a bust... But hey, if I write something bad, how dare I? He is our 30th Pick after all. Thats how it comes across, but its no biggie.

First of all, if the docs give the green lights to play through it who are you to judge what's best for him? Secondly, of course pain can be an explanation for certain shortcomings of a player in the games he deals with it and I don't see any reason to not take this into account when talking about a player's potential and abilities. Quite the contrary, it actually has to be considered if it does affect him unless it won't get any better for the rest of his career. In case you doubt any improvement or don't believe in recovery so be it, but you should not blame others for mentioning it. You're demonstrating a strange point of view here.

You completely ignore what im saying. If the docs clear him, he is obviously healthy enough to play his game. If that game sucks, its weird to bring up that he is injured and might not perform well.
The point is, if this is something that Looney can't get rid of, we cant look at this as a temporary thing holding him back, but something that came with him and will stay with him and therefore influence him as a player. Obviously, I would think that if the docs clear him, his injury cant be of an extent that the body needs to be "repaired", but rather like a nasty side effect. "Degenerate Back" was often mentioned, perhaps it is something long term that can be solved by operation. And if thats the reason he slipped, then its something the warriors need to accept. Its something that comes with Looney and therefore is "part of his game" if you will. Obviously, there has not been much info about his health, but saying his pain is holding him back is trivial if he will have that pain for the rest of his career.

Well, "lottery talent at 30" is mainly based on projections before the draft - he fell due to injury, most likely. So this statement isn't inherently wrong even though you yourself don't see the talent which is fine. Mentioning upside when it comes to young player is like the most common thing in sports, this really bothers you? Seriously? Unfounded and empty praise can be annoying, that's what we can agree on, but that's not happening here. Most users present their reasoning and expand on why they believe in his potential upside and it's only natural that the tenor on a fan-board is usually a little more optimistic in a topic about own players. Again, I can't understand how someone can be bothered by this. The same holds true for well-argued criticism - even if I don't agree with it - by the way, but I don't see it in this case.

Well, I guess it lies in the eye of the beholder. I guess what you write about the board is true, my argument goes back to the idea that if hes not a first round pick, people might be more objective and critical.
Onus
RealGM
And1: 5,262

Re: With the 30th Pick in the 2015 Draft, Champions Golden State Warriors select Kevon Looney 

Post#282 » by Onus » Fri Jul 17, 2015 7:21 pm

GSWarriors22 wrote:I agree that if Looney stays in this league, his defense will be his bread and butter. Not sure about rebounding, especially on the OffReb, because it often seems like Looney spends an awful lot of time under the basket waiting for a rebound and thats something that is likely to change. Im not impressed by his jumpshot, if McAdoo can get a decent midrange, its not much of a difference, since Looney only really take wide-open shots. He wont beat anybody off the dribble. Honestly, I dont think McAdoo should be the measuring pole for Looney. I do think that McAdoo is more ready to contribute, which is ultimetaly what we want as a championship team. Plus Looney will not get any playing time to develop, everything needs to happen in the gym, which is not ideal for the development of a younger player either.

You do realize rebounding normally translates from College to the Pros. Hell Looney is already out rebounding McAdoo in almost 9 less minutes per game. Looney has a pretty poor offensive game, but the the one thing he does have is the ability to take and make open shots. Hell McAdoo passes up wide open 3 pointers all the time as well as mid-range shots. He's never going to match Looney's range.

I think Looney is more suited for back up time with the 2nd unit than McAdoo is. A lineup of Livingston, Barbosa, Iguodala, Looney/McAdoo, Festus/Mo. Maybe you can get away with playing McAdoo with Mo, but if he's in there with Festus our offense goes to ****. Looney is a much better fit as that 2nd unit is lacking shooting and spacing, which Looney is able to provide better than McAdoo. I think McAdoo maybe a more intelligent defender since he's been in the system longer, but Looney will catch up rather quick and really I see it as a wash with a possibility of a slight advantage McAdoo. But offensively team wise Looney's shooting capability will have a bigger impact than McAdoo's crude dribble drive game or energy hustle points.
Most 4th Quarter Points in Final since 1991
1995 Shaquille O'Neal 11.5
2000 Shaquille O'Neal 11.5 (61.1% TS)
2015 Stephen Curry 10.8 (75.1% TS)
1997 Michael Jordan 10.7 (55.1% TS)
1998 Michael Jordan 10.6 (50.6% TS)
2011 Dirk Nowitzki 10.3 (68.0% TS)
whocurrz
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,454

Post#283 » by whocurrz » Fri Jul 17, 2015 8:30 pm

Onus wrote:
GSWarriors22 wrote:I agree that if Looney stays in this league, his defense will be his bread and butter. Not sure about rebounding, especially on the OffReb, because it often seems like Looney spends an awful lot of time under the basket waiting for a rebound and thats something that is likely to change. Im not impressed by his jumpshot, if McAdoo can get a decent midrange, its not much of a difference, since Looney only really take wide-open shots. He wont beat anybody off the dribble. Honestly, I dont think McAdoo should be the measuring pole for Looney. I do think that McAdoo is more ready to contribute, which is ultimetaly what we want as a championship team. Plus Looney will not get any playing time to develop, everything needs to happen in the gym, which is not ideal for the development of a younger player either.

You do realize rebounding normally translates from College to the Pros. Hell Looney is already out rebounding McAdoo in almost 9 less minutes per game. Looney has a pretty poor offensive game, but the the one thing he does have is the ability to take and make open shots. Hell McAdoo passes up wide open 3 pointers all the time as well as mid-range shots. He's never going to match Looney's range.

I think Looney is more suited for back up time with the 2nd unit than McAdoo is. A lineup of Livingston, Barbosa, Iguodala, Looney/McAdoo, Festus/Mo. Maybe you can get away with playing McAdoo with Mo, but if he's in there with Festus our offense goes to ****. Looney is a much better fit as that 2nd unit is lacking shooting and spacing, which Looney is able to provide better than McAdoo. I think McAdoo maybe a more intelligent defender since he's been in the system longer, but Looney will catch up rather quick and really I see it as a wash with a possibility of a slight advantage McAdoo. But offensively team wise Looney's shooting capability will have a bigger impact than McAdoo's crude dribble drive game or energy hustle points.

I'd rather use Barnes as the backup PF with that unit than Mo, McAdoo or Looney for spacing and boosting his value. Looney would be second on that list though. If anything McAdoo should be groomed to fill in for the Speights role as he continues to work on his midrange jumper. Being a Brandan Wright type player would be ideal for him. Looney should be groomed for the backup 4 role when he can get his outside shot consistent but right now I'd say that role is best held down by Barnes for both his sake and the backup unit's.
Jarret Jack: “I brought one of my best suits. But looking down at this jersey, it’s just a sense of pride I don’t think I’ve ever felt as a professional. … Nothing in my closet is better than what I have on now."
Onus
RealGM

Post#284 » by Onus » Fri Jul 17, 2015 9:33 pm

whocurrz wrote:
Onus wrote:

I'd rather use Barnes as the backup PF with that unit than Mo, McAdoo or Looney for spacing and boosting his value. Looney would be second on that list though. If anything McAdoo should be groomed to fill in for the Speights role as he continues to work on his midrange jumper. Being a Brandan Wright type player would be ideal for him. Looney should be groomed for the backup 4 role when he can get his outside shot consistent but right now I'd say that role is best held down by Barnes for both his sake and the backup unit's.

Yea, I agree. I hope neither of McAdoo or Looney get playing time at Barnes' back up 4 minutes until we decide what we want to do with Barnes. Not only is he the best player suited for the job this season, but if he doesn't get those minutes his value drops.
GSWarriors22
Sophomore
And1: 15

Post#285 » by GSWarriors22 » Sat Jul 18, 2015 11:36 am

Onus wrote:

In theory, Shooting is always > than dribble penetration, especially for a big man. However, to say Looney > McAdoo because of his shooting is too simple imo.
First of all, you need to look at how Looney moves on the court. Early in the SHot Clock, he sets Screens and Picks and ties to fade to get space for a mid range/3 (he basically never rolls to the basket). When he doesnt get the ball, he moves under the basket until he can get a rebound. Its almost like he has some ability to stretch the floor, but he kind of throws it away by always going for the Off Reb, instead of maybe waiting in the corner, or trying to move to get into a position where he can shoot or at least take a defender.
Another thing is, that he takes and makes his wide open shots, but in the second unit, he will rarely get them, because Livingston, Barbosa, Iguodala and Ezeli will never constantly force the defenders to stick close to them and as a result, it will be much easier to defend Looney once he gets the ball. We saw it with Barnes when he came off the Bench: (it was a bad system under MJ, but) Barnes was never able to take advantage of the attention aimed at other teammates, because none of them really pulled defenders away. Now, in the Starting Lineup with Curry and Thompson, he gets plenty of open shots.
It is therefore important, that Looney plays with Curry, in order to get those shots that Draymond and Barnes usually get. I think Looney will be (even) less effective offensively in the second unit, if not worse off than Barnes, because if he decides to focus on off Reb (which he usually does when he is not involved in plays), he will clog the lane for Barbosa etc... Or he plays major minutes at the 5 Spot, in which case he has a bit of a long way to go to get ready, and I think another Shooter at the 2 guard is pretty important for us in the seond unit.

On the Other Hand, McAdoo is obviously quite a predictable player, but i think he can be that 3 Body that you need in a long season. His defense is pretty solid, he is athletic and even though his offensive game is crude, he might actually be quite a decent "energy-man" and more of a post player attacking the basket, which is something that can be useful, maybe to force some fouls. We are talking 14th and 15th men here.

EDIT: About the rebounds: Its weird to have a combination of "floor spacer" and "off Rebounder", since one kind of excludes the other during each possession. If Looney learns to be more of a floor spacer and learns how to move off the ball to get into the position where his teammates can pass to him for a wide-open shot, his off rebounding numbers will obviously go down. At the same time, if he keeps focusing on the rebounds, he will obviously not stretch the floor as much. Im not saying he is not a good rebounder. He has good instincts and energy, length most importantly. Its good to have these skills and attributes, but it depends what role Kerr wants him to play when he is on the court.

Finally, I must also add, that Looney played well against the Knicks SL Team. Defense is obviously where he can make an impact. Offensively, it felt like he was more decisive when he got the ball and he moved better. It also felt like his teammates were able to create for him a bit better, but there is still room for improvement. Interestingly, he didnt pull any Off Rebounds that game.
Mylie10
RealGM
And1: 9,612

Post#286 » by Mylie10 » Sun Jul 19, 2015 1:02 am

GSWarriors22 wrote:
The-Power wrote:
watch1958 wrote:True, you can't always find a Draymond. What worries me is that they didn't seem interested in another Draymond.

Playing-wise he's more like Draymond than anyone else drafted in the first round. So I'm not sure what you're talking about. You want someone with Green's mindset who can play and fit the mold of our team and its needs? Yeah, good luck with that.

Anyway, it's pretty crazy how a young and somewhat injured player is evaluatee by his fans based on a couple of summer league games. All because they didn't get the guy they wanted or because ridiculously high expectations are set. We all know this one guy already but it seems like others are jumping in as well - as if they can already assess a player properly or know which player is going to pan out and which not. To me it's not hard to see what our FO likes about him and why they drafted him (it doesn't hurt that they also explained it).

I dont get it, why can't I critique Looney's SL performances?
As I said before, im pretty sure that if Looney went undrafted or was a second round pick, nobody would give him a second thought, let alone give him a roster-spot. So why look at him any different because of his guaranteed contract? Its only nr 30 after all, we dont need to hype him, lets just look how he plays and assess. And for now, he has not shown too much.

And if he really is hurt, deal with the situation now. Why wait, if anything, his age can compensate for the fact that he might miss a season due to injury, so why even bother playing him through the pain, after a college season where, according to reports, he also palyed through injury. Unless its something that cant really be fixed through surgery and requires constant physiotherapy, in which case I would think that the life of an NBA athlete will force him to play through that pain for most of his career (and at which point we cant make excuses for his performances anymore). The doctors gave im the OK to play, so no need to use injury as a way to downplay his performances.

And as much as you are annoyed by the fact that people seem to pick up on the point of view that Looney might be less good than anticipated, it annoys me to see people picking up on what they hear about Looney and repeating things like "great upside", "lottery talent at 30", "Spurs do it the same way" etc..

To me...a couple of summer league games isn't as valuable as a first year of college ball at a high profile school.

I didn't see the games, but do see some promise. He has much better ball handling skills than some are noticing or recognizing as of yet.

Plus a 19 year olds body has lots of room for development....especially when it becomes a career choice. Comparing him to Draymond is laughable....Green was 22 or 23 coming in....and his body was a wreck his first year.

It's a no risk situation with Looney...so let it play out....geez. I'm surprised by the jump shot to be honest.
Khoee wrote “
Mav_Carter wrote: my list doesn't matter...I'm pretty much wrong on everything...
Mylie10
RealGM

Post#287 » by Mylie10 » Sun Jul 19, 2015 1:23 am

To GS........one of the ways Looney rebounded on the offensive end at UCLA was from the outside.....much like how Tristan Thompson did.....he would be setting screens on the perimeter, and then crash off of jump shots, using his length and being adept in knowing where the ball will go.

You don't have to be down low to offensive rebound, or you don't have to be using bulk. The length is a huge asset to use for guys who are on the lean side.
Khoee wrote “
Mav_Carter wrote: my list doesn't matter...I'm pretty much wrong on everything...
azwfan
RealGM
And1: 3,745

Post#288 » by azwfan » Mon Jul 20, 2015 8:04 pm

I do recall hearing an interview with Looney prior to the draft where it is indicated by the interviewer and confirmed by Kevon, that he has a lot more to his game than he showed at UCLA - or something to that extent. I think they said UCLA had a lot of injuries so Kevon was playing more of a big man role and showing less of his perimeter game. I'm guessing that's the ball handling and maybe a bit of the shooting?
LF75 wrote: It was a dumb idea..And yes I'm a dick.
SinceGatlingWasARookie
RealGM
And1: 2,688

Post#289 » by SinceGatlingWasARookie » Sat Jul 25, 2015 4:10 am

Let Looney spend a year in the NBDL working on his game and then see if he can replace Speights next year.
McAdoo can be an energy guy playing good defense splitting back up PF minutes with Barnes.
Mylie10
RealGM

Post#290 » by Mylie10 » Sat Jul 25, 2015 11:57 pm

McAdoo is gonna get a shot.....he better bring it to keep it.
Khoee wrote “
NuWarriors
Lead Assistant
And1: 715

Post#291 » by NuWarriors » Tue Aug 4, 2015 10:18 pm

What I think they should do with Looney is let him come to training camp and get some reps in preseason and then have him get the surgery. From what I've read, Bob Myers said he has a torn labrum in his hip... it's the same injury that LMA had a few years ago. . I think the recovery is six to eight weeks and he would be back for the second half of the season.
B-King
Rookie
And1: 208

Post#292 » by B-King » Sat Aug 8, 2015 11:19 am

Now that we picked up Jason Thompson, there is no need to get any contribution barring injury from Looney this year. I am lot less concerned about how he pans out as we added some depth in the front court.
Badly Browned
Analyst
And1: 326

Post#293 » by Badly Browned » Fri Aug 21, 2015 1:07 am

[tweet]https://twitter.com/diamond83/status/634531977551548416[/tweet]

[tweet]https://twitter.com/diamond83/status/634532084590247936[/tweet]
I'm not going to say that Curry is God. But he is definitely a god. -NeoWarriors
Onus
RealGM

Post#294 » by Onus » Fri Aug 21, 2015 2:23 am

Well hopefully this means he'll be moving around like a 20 yr old again.
Mylie10
RealGM

Post#295 » by Mylie10 » Fri Aug 21, 2015 4:17 am

Could be available in late February or March.....Could be a nice little addition if there's an injury or two. Hopefully he recovers nicely and we don't really need him this season.
Khoee wrote “
NBAfan3024
RealGM
And1: 7,035

Post#296 » by NBAfan3024 » Fri Aug 21, 2015 6:35 am

Not like he will play this year anyway
OptionZero
Starter
And1: 1,828

Post#297 » by OptionZero » Fri Aug 21, 2015 7:42 am

Too bad that doesn't free up a roster spot

Curry
Klay
Barnes
Green
Bogut
Ezeli
Livingston
Iggy
Barbosa
Speights
Thompson
McAdoo
Clark
Looney.

Looney's gonna eat an inactive spot for a while. I assume Rush gets the other one
Coxy
RealGM
And1: 14,661

Post#298 » by Coxy » Fri Aug 21, 2015 8:29 am

Good. Get it done now when we don't really need him anyway. Give him a chance to bulk up before his 1st minutes on the NBA court.
East Bay Sports
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,559

Post#299 » by East Bay Sports » Fri Aug 21, 2015 2:20 pm

Coxy wrote:Good. Get it done now when we don't really need him anyway. Give him a chance to bulk up before his 1st minutes on the NBA court.

I had the same thoughts.
Left*My*Heart
RealGM
And1: 641

Post#300 » by Left*My*Heart » Fri Aug 21, 2015 3:51 pm

OptionZero wrote:Too bad that doesn't free up a roster spot

Curry
Klay
Barnes
Green
Bogut
Ezeli
Livingston
Iggy
Barbosa
Speights
Thompson
McAdoo
Clark
Looney.

Looney's gonna eat an inactive spot for a while. I assume Rush gets the other one

It's a no brainer to have Looney take up a roster spot. He has lottery pick potential. Warriors can take their time with him and make sure he is right. He could pay huge dividends down the road.

Anyone basing their opinion on his potential by his summer league play will find out they were wrong. The kid has guts to play through the injury just to be on the floor for a few games. He knew he was facing surgery, but the medical staff told him that he wouldn't do any further damage to the injury by playing.

Return to Golden State Warriors