ImageImageImageImageImage

How to beat the Spurs?

Moderators: Chris Porter's Hair, floppymoose, Sleepy51

cpower
RealGM
And1: 7,143

Re: How to beat the Spurs? 

Post#121 » by cpower » Fri Jul 31, 2015 3:47 pm

at this stage of their career LMA is not better than Green, he may win a few more all stars but Green will always have more true impact on the court..if you switch Green with LMA, the warriors will lose at least 10 more games this year.
ChuckDurn
Assistant Coach
And1: 789

Post#122 » by ChuckDurn » Fri Jul 31, 2015 4:33 pm

benchmobbin02 wrote:I have enjoyed the back and forth with the GSW fans. It all started with a dumb joke, playing off the topic title (which is what drew me to it in the first place). You guys made great points and defended your team like you should. I wholeheartedly congratulate the GSW on their first rings in a long time and Curry on his MVP. Both are deserved after a crazy season.

The Spurs Dynasty is on the home stretch with Duncan Parker and Manu all getting older. They have some young players to build around and a star in his prime but will it be enough to make another run. We'll find out this year. Here is an article that makes you think about the Spurs this next season and if they can really compete after the changes this off season.

http://www.sbnation.com/2015/7/22/9014175/san-antonio-spurs-roster-lamarcus-aldridge-offseason-depth-bench-analysis-2015

To be honest, the biggest star on the Spurs isn't Aldridge, or Duncan. It's Leonard. I could actually see him as a dark horse candidate for MVP if he gets enough minutes and is told to drive the offense. The Spurs are strong enough from top to bottom, and Leonard is deferential enough, that he probably won't get the offensive stats needed to be in the conversation. But when Duncan, Manu, Parker, West, and Diaw are all gone in a couple of years, it's Leonard (not Aldridge) who is going to carry that team's next generation. He was probably the biggest free agent signing this off-season, but since everybody knew he wasn't going anywhere, nobody talked about it.

It's going to be an interesting year. If I'm Popovich, I don't play any of my older guys more than 60-70 games during the regular season in order to try to keep them fresh and uninjured for the playoffs. And then, if our 2 teams meet in the playoffs...... then, this thread might actually mean something. Right now it means nothing.
If I don't have anything funny to say, can I still have a signature?
benchmobbin02
Veteran
And1: 364

Post#123 » by benchmobbin02 » Fri Jul 31, 2015 4:46 pm

AliG1488 wrote:You seriously wrote that much crap? Lol...you have too much time on your hands...go get a life

& stop hating on the champs...you just sound bitter

Got a great one but thanx for the motivation. I try to add new haters everyday to stay sharp. My job allows me a lot of downtime (probably too much haha). A lot of sitting and waiting while I'm getting paid. Sorry to disappoint...
MAKE IT MAKE SENSE!
Bandito
Pro Prospect
And1: 91

Post#124 » by Bandito » Fri Jul 31, 2015 6:02 pm

benchmobbin02 wrote:
AliG1488 wrote:You seriously wrote that much crap? Lol...you have too much time on your hands...go get a life

Got a great one but thanx for the motivation. I try to add new haters everyday to stay sharp. My job allows me a lot of downtime (probably too much haha). A lot of sitting and waiting while I'm getting paid. Sorry to disappoint...

Drug dealer.
FNQ
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 20,006

Post#125 » by FNQ » Fri Jul 31, 2015 6:44 pm

Bandito wrote:
benchmobbin02 wrote:

Drug dealer.

Latrell Sprewell's accountant
benchmobbin02
Veteran

Post#126 » by benchmobbin02 » Fri Jul 31, 2015 7:16 pm

FNQ wrote:
Bandito wrote:
benchmobbin02 wrote:

Drug dealer.

Haha, close in the fact that I stakeout deadbeats like Bandito all day.
MAKE IT MAKE SENSE!
FNQ
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 20,006

Post#127 » by FNQ » Fri Jul 31, 2015 8:23 pm

Bah, I was hoping it would turn into a rundown of people that have nothing but time on their hands, like DeAndre Jordan's FT coach, Roger Goodell's PR advisor, the president of the Robert Rowell fan club, etc.
Bandito
Pro Prospect

Post#128 » by Bandito » Fri Jul 31, 2015 8:33 pm

benchmobbin02 wrote:
FNQ wrote:
Bandito wrote:
Drug dealer.

Stakeout deadbeats and sit on your ass trolling message boards? Sure sounds satisfying.

I work with dogs and I love my job. What do you do for a living?
benchmobbin02
Veteran

Post#129 » by benchmobbin02 » Fri Jul 31, 2015 10:51 pm

Bandito wrote:
benchmobbin02 wrote:
FNQ wrote:

Stakeout deadbeats and sit on your ass trolling message boards? Sure sounds satisfying.

Private Investigator and I love mine too! What do you do with dogs? My wife is a vet tech but use to be a mobile groomer.

Oh and I just give the king hating posters a joke occasionally in their team's tread. Ratio of GSW posters trolling the Kings compared to me laying a joke here and there is is like 10 to 1. I just don't give up as fast.
MAKE IT MAKE SENSE!
Bandito
Pro Prospect

Post#130 » by Bandito » Fri Jul 31, 2015 11:20 pm

benchmobbin02 wrote:
Bandito wrote:
benchmobbin02 wrote:

Private Investigator and I love mine too! What do you do with dogs? My wife is a vet tech but use to be a mobile groomer.

Oh and I just give the king hating posters a joke occasionally in their team's tread. Ratio of GSW posters trolling the Kings compared to me laying a joke here and there is is like 10 to 1. I just don't give up as fast.

Wow, nice. I work at a day care and boarding facility primarily.

I don't hate the Kings, I don't think most Warriors fans hate the Kings either. I was definitely pulling for them back when they were facing teams like the Shaq/Kobe Lakers in the playoffs.

Actually surprised me how fast so many people starting hating the Warriors. Never been a fan of a world championship winning team in my adult life (A's in 89, I was 5), so I guess it comes with the territory. A lot of doubters too. To quote Conor McGregor, "they will all bow down eventually". Because this team is one of the all time greats, and it's just getting started.
cladden
Analyst
And1: 378

Post#131 » by cladden » Sat Aug 1, 2015 7:22 am

benchmobbin02 wrote:Of course you do, you're a GSW team fan. You should or consider jumping ship because the faithful would eat you alive. Just bringing some outside perspective and stating you have to prove it on the court. GSW team haven't beaten this Spurs team in a 7 game playoff series. If they do, I'll be the first one to praise them because I'm a cali kid too. They have won only one ring and a dynasty is a team that dominates their sport or league for an extraordinary length of time. That is the Spurs. They have been dominate since the 98 title. They have had down years in which they lost close to 30 games or lost in the first rd (99,03,08,09,15) but they always come back with some more young and/or great players and Pop to dominate. In you're recent playoff battle you lost 4-2 and and in the last 5 yrs in the regular season it's 13-3 SPURS.

The title of this thread is how to beat the Spurs and it's a valid question for a team with aspirations of a dynasty? I stated that I don't think they can. And until they do, my opinion stands.

You probably meant dominant.

I don't think the Warriors have to beat the Spurs. I think they get knocked out in the second round by the Rockets or something. Until they show me something to prove otherwise it sure looked like they their big 3 are down to 1 and even he isn't anywhere near as big as he was. Kawhi is fantastic though. I don't think LaMarcus makes this Spurs team a legitimate challenger. I'm worried about a healthy cavs and injuries, not the Spurs.
benchmobbin02
Veteran

Post#132 » by benchmobbin02 » Sat Aug 1, 2015 3:36 pm

cladden wrote:
benchmobbin02 wrote:Of course you do, you're a GSW team fan. You should or consider jumping ship because the faithful would eat you alive. Just bringing some outside perspective and stating you have to prove it on the court. GSW team haven't beaten this Spurs team in a 7 game playoff series. If they do, I'll be the first one to praise them because I'm a cali kid too. They have won only one ring and a dynasty is a team that dominates their sport or league for an extraordinary length of time. That is the Spurs. They have been dominate since the 98 title. They have had down years in which they lost close to 30 games or lost in the first rd (99,03,08,09,15) but they always come back with some more young and/or great players and Pop to dominate. In you're recent playoff battle you lost 4-2 and and in the last 5 yrs in the regular season it's 13-3 SPURS.

The title of this thread is how to beat the Spurs and it's a valid question for a team with aspirations of a dynasty? I stated that I don't think they can. And until they do, my opinion stands.

I don't think the Warriors have to beat the Spurs. I think they get knocked out in the second round by the Rockets or something. Until they show me something to prove otherwise it sure looked like they their big 3 are down to 1 and even he isn't anywhere near as big as he was. Kawhi is fantastic though. I don't think LaMarcus makes this Spurs team a legitimate challenger. I'm worried about a healthy cavs and injuries, not the Spurs.

Your opinion is noted.
MAKE IT MAKE SENSE!
NuWarriors
Lead Assistant
And1: 715

Post#133 » by NuWarriors » Sat Aug 1, 2015 3:44 pm

benchmobbin02 wrote:
cladden wrote:

Your opinion is noted.

Where do you stand on the Warriors front court now after trading for JT?
benchmobbin02
Veteran

Post#134 » by benchmobbin02 » Sat Aug 1, 2015 3:55 pm

NuWarriors wrote:
benchmobbin02 wrote:
cladden wrote:

Your opinion is noted.

Where do you stand on the Warriors front court now after trading for JT?

Not having played any games together, you can't really judge but JT is a better player than Wallace.
MAKE IT MAKE SENSE!
TaylorMonkey
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,580

How to beat the Spurs? 

Post#135 » by TaylorMonkey » Sat Aug 1, 2015 9:17 pm

Mylie10 wrote:Just to add. In the Warriors first Playoff series when Barnes, Green, and Ezeli were all rookies, they had the Spurs by the balls.

The Warriors were up by 16 points with about 4 or 5 minutes to play in San Antonio and ended up losing on a last second shot by Ginobili. Had they won that game they would have been up 3-1. In the final two games, both Curry (ankle) and Bogut (ankle) got injured and the series was done.

Yes the Spurs won the series 4-2, but it showed that the Warriors had no fear of playoff Spurs and if not for a very fortunate shot by Ginobili and the unfortunate re-injuries of the Warriors two best players at the time, the Warriors may have beat them. Plus they didn't have Iguodala at that point.

By that final game (which I went to) Curry, Bogut, Ezeli, Lee, and Barnes were all very hobbled or could not play. It was almost a relief the series was over.

Also, to be fair, that Game 1 meltdown is what happens to young teams against title contenders.

Because it's exactly what happened to the Pelicans when we came back 20+ and went into OT to win it with Steph's 3. When I was watching, I was like this feels like it could be a Spurs game 1. Except we're the team doing it to others now.
Onus
RealGM
And1: 5,259

Post#136 » by Onus » Sat Aug 1, 2015 10:44 pm

TaylorMonkey wrote:
Mylie10 wrote:Just to add. In the Warriors first Playoff series when Barnes, Green, and Ezeli were all rookies, they had the Spurs by the balls.

The Warriors were up by 16 points with about 4 or 5 minutes to play in San Antonio and ended up losing on a last second shot by Ginobili. Had they won that game they would have been up 3-1. In the final two games, both Curry (ankle) and Bogut (ankle) got injured and the series was done.

Yes the Spurs won the series 4-2, but it showed that the Warriors had no fear of playoff Spurs and if not for a very fortunate shot by Ginobili and the unfortunate re-injuries of the Warriors two best players at the time, the Warriors may have beat them. Plus they didn't have Iguodala at that point.

By that final game (which I went to) Curry, Bogut, Ezeli, Lee, and Barnes were all very hobbled or could not play. It was almost a relief the series was over.

Also, to be fair, that Game 1 meltdown is what happens to young teams against title contenders.

Because it's exactly what happened to the Pelicans when we came back 20+ and went into OT to win it with Steph's 3. When I was watching, I was like this feels like it could be a Spurs game 1. Except we're the team doing it to others now.

It really did feel like that Spurs game but we happened to be the Spurs. We were killing the Spurs, but as soon as they started their comeback we had no answers to stop them. Nothing we did could slow them down. Now we were the Spurs and it felt oh so good. It just felt inevitable that we were going to win once we started our comeback.

I really think as of now the only teams that can worry me are Cle or OKC and mostly because their small ball can match up to ours
Most 4th Quarter Points in Final since 1991
1995 Shaquille O'Neal 11.5
2000 Shaquille O'Neal 11.5 (61.1% TS)
2015 Stephen Curry 10.8 (75.1% TS)
1997 Michael Jordan 10.7 (55.1% TS)
1998 Michael Jordan 10.6 (50.6% TS)
2011 Dirk Nowitzki 10.3 (68.0% TS)
Bandito
Pro Prospect

Post#137 » by Bandito » Mon Aug 3, 2015 4:06 am

If Cleveland is going to match up with us, Love is going to have to play a hell of a lot better than he did last year. Lebron is going to have to regain his 3 point stroke of a couple years ago. And Kyrie is not only going to have to get back to 100%, but he's going to need to make strides in his game as well. And if all that happened, I still like the Warriors chances.

OKC can potentially match up well with their starting 5, but I don't think they can stack up depth wise or coaching wise.

Warriors are the best team in the league by far if healthy.

Return to Golden State Warriors