We're on KD's short list

Moderators: Chris Porter's Hair, floppymoose, Sleepy51

DAX17
Freshman
And1: 7

We're on KD's short list 

Post#81 » by DAX17 » Mon Jul 13, 2015 12:36 pm

Bandito wrote:
DAX17 wrote:Don't get me wrong I love Curry's game and he's my favorite player in the NBA right now. But let me just ask this question. If Curry is having a bad shooting night can he still dominate a game in some other fashion? The guys that I think of as the superstar players in the league can do it. I think being able to do that, and do it consistently over a period of time is what makes you great. But that's just my opinion and I respect everyone else's.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums

How can you judge the greatest shooter of all time on his off nights shooting? Even still, yes plenty of games I've seen Curry's shot be off and he still dominates the game and is the best player on the court. He draws the attention no matter what, he has sick handles, ambidextrous skills as a passer and finishing at the rim. In addition to being a brilliant and creative passer, he opens things up for those around him just by drawing so much attention. He's always been a good rebounder for his position, and this past season he blossomed into a good defender as well.

I've seen Curry have plenty of 3-11 type nights from 3 point land and still end up with 20/10 and lead his team to victory. What have you been watching?

I watch the same games as you, just through different eyes lol. I've seen games where he's off, and he has careless turnovers, plays bad defense, and they lose. I'm using the last few seasons, not just this season because he was spectacular this whole year. That's why I wanna see him do it for more than one season. And the crazy thing is he has the potential to be even better! I don't think he'll ever be a lock down defender but he has improved so much on the defensive end. If he could cut down his turnovers and learn how to get to the line more when his shot isn't falling then he would be unstoppable.

Jay 20
Sixth Man
And1: 1,152

Re: We're on KD's short list 

Post#82 » by Jay 20 » Mon Jul 13, 2015 4:12 pm

I read today that Klay would almost have to be involved in a sign and trade with OKC especially if we want to keep at least SOME depth.
Onus
RealGM
And1: 5,260

Post#83 » by Onus » Mon Jul 13, 2015 9:49 pm

DAX17 wrote:
Bandito wrote:
DAX17 wrote:Don't get me wrong I love Curry's game and he's my favorite player in the NBA right now. But let me just ask this question. If Curry is having a bad shooting night can he still dominate a game in some other fashion? The guys that I think of as the superstar players in the league can do it. I think being able to do that, and do it consistently over a period of time is what makes you great. But that's just my opinion and I respect everyone else's.

How can you judge the greatest shooter of all time on his off nights shooting? Even still, yes plenty of games I've seen Curry's shot be off and he still dominates the game and is the best player on the court. He draws the attention no matter what, he has sick handles, ambidextrous skills as a passer and finishing at the rim. In addition to being a brilliant and creative passer, he opens things up for those around him just by drawing so much attention. He's always been a good rebounder for his position, and this past season he blossomed into a good defender as well.

I've seen Curry have plenty of 3-11 type nights from 3 point land and still end up with 20/10 and lead his team to victory. What have you been watching?

I watch the same games as you, just through different eyes lol. I've seen games where he's off, and he has careless turnovers, plays bad defense, and they lose. I'm using the last few seasons, not just this season because he was spectacular this whole year. That's why I wanna see him do it for more than one season. And the crazy thing is he has the potential to be even better! I don't think he'll ever be a lock down defender but he has improved so much on the defensive end. If he could cut down his turnovers and learn how to get to the line more when his shot isn't falling then he would be unstoppable.

So your logic is that when Curry plays bad and we lose, this makes him not a superstar? Wouldn't that mean he is the superstar since the team goes as he goes? Or maybe he needs more help since a team as dominant as ours shouldn't be relying solely on how well one player plays.
Most 4th Quarter Points in Final since 1991
1995 Shaquille O'Neal 11.5
2000 Shaquille O'Neal 11.5 (61.1% TS)
2015 Stephen Curry 10.8 (75.1% TS)
1997 Michael Jordan 10.7 (55.1% TS)
1998 Michael Jordan 10.6 (50.6% TS)
2011 Dirk Nowitzki 10.3 (68.0% TS)
cj03
Starter
And1: 154

Post#84 » by cj03 » Tue Jul 14, 2015 12:18 am

Jay 20 wrote:I read today that Klay would almost have to be involved in a sign and trade with OKC especially if we want to keep at least SOME depth.

Why would we sign and trade Klay? He's locked up for a while.
InWestWeTrust
Sixth Man
And1: 657

Post#85 » by InWestWeTrust » Tue Jul 14, 2015 12:34 am

KD is done to me until proven otherwise. Ya'll basing this on old KD, no one knows what post foot injury KD will look like.
ChuckDurn
Assistant Coach
And1: 789

We're on KD's short list 

Post#86 » by ChuckDurn » Tue Jul 14, 2015 12:37 am

InWestWeTrust wrote:KD is done to me until proven otherwise. Ya'll basing this on old KD, no one knows what post foot injury KD will look like.

Well, we might know more in a year, which is when this thread is more relevant.

statsman
Analyst
And1: 438

Post#87 » by statsman » Tue Jul 14, 2015 2:51 am

ChuckDurn wrote:
InWestWeTrust wrote:KD is done to me until proven otherwise. Ya'll basing this on old KD, no one knows what post foot injury KD will look like.

True, but if the Warriors have any intention of trying to sign Durant with cap space, extensions to Barnes and Ezeli would need to be put on hold until next offseason. Those decisions are needed by the start of this season at the end of October 2015. Hard to say if the Warriors will know at that time if Durant will hold up for the entire 2015-16 season.

The option to do a S&T with the Thunder will be there, but there's no guarantee OKC will bite on the deal. A team has far less control with a S&T than signing with cap space, but the latter is going to require several difficult roster decisions on the part of the Warriors.
ChuckDurn
Assistant Coach
And1: 789

We're on KD's short list 

Post#88 » by ChuckDurn » Tue Jul 14, 2015 5:57 am

statsman wrote:
ChuckDurn wrote:

True, but if the Warriors have any intention of trying to sign Durant with cap space, extensions to Barnes and Ezeli would need to be put on hold until next offseason. Those decisions are needed by the start of this season at the end of October 2015. Hard to say if the Warriors will know at that time if Durant will hold up for the entire 2015-16 season.

The option to do a S&T with the Thunder will be there, but there's no guarantee OKC will bite on the deal. A team has far less control with a S&T than signing with cap space, but the latter is going to require several difficult roster decisions on the part of the Warriors.

It depends. If we're smart and able to come to favorable extensions with Barnes and Ezeli, they could have nice value that would make them easy to trade for picks or other assets that would get the salaries off the books. (Kind of the opposite of how we had to give up picks to move Biedrins and Jefferson in order to open up space for Iguodala.....)

Sent from my iPad using RealGM Forums
Vincent_Askew
Banned User
And1: 247

Post#89 » by Vincent_Askew » Tue Jul 14, 2015 4:02 pm

xfactor99 wrote:People who have crunched the math say we have to dump Bogut/Livingston and one of Barnes or Iguodala. I'd be willing to do that

You don't say :lol: :lol: :lol:

I'm sure you really had to think hard before concluding that as a Warriors fan a Bogut/Livingston & Barnes or Iggy would be a worthwhile tradeoff to get KD to play alongside Steph, Green and Klay.

Such a tough call.
Jay 20
Sixth Man
And1: 1,152

Post#90 » by Jay 20 » Tue Jul 14, 2015 9:29 pm

cj03 wrote:
Jay 20 wrote:I read today that Klay would almost have to be involved in a sign and trade with OKC especially if we want to keep at least SOME depth.

Why would we sign and trade Klay? He's locked up for a while.

http://www.franchiseherald.com/articles/31481/20150708/klay-thompson-golden-state.htm

This is the article I am referring to. It has nothing to do with Klay being locked up. OKC would sign KD and we would trade Klay in order to get KD, not the other way around.

This is just one opinion. We would not be able to sign Durant outright. We would have to dumb a ton of depth or trade for him. The trade scenario would likely have to involve Klay in order for OKC to agree to a sign a trade.
MikeYi30430
Freshman
And1: 9

Post#91 » by MikeYi30430 » Wed Jul 15, 2015 2:14 am

Why can't we just trade Andre away and sign and trade Harrison? Isn't that enough?
statsman
Analyst
And1: 438

Post#92 » by statsman » Wed Jul 15, 2015 3:16 am

MikeYi30430 wrote:Why can't we just trade Andre away and sign and trade Harrison? Isn't that enough?

To clear cap space for Durant? Not enough.
MikeYi30430
Freshman
And1: 9

Post#93 » by MikeYi30430 » Wed Jul 15, 2015 7:08 pm

statsman wrote:
MikeYi30430 wrote:Why can't we just trade Andre away and sign and trade Harrison? Isn't that enough?

To clear cap space for Durant? Not enough.

Really? So who else do we need to get rid of?
Warriorfan
RealGM
And1: 2,696

Post#94 » by Warriorfan » Wed Jul 15, 2015 8:35 pm

Our management team is creative. If a healthy Durant wants to come to GS the trades will be made.
Coxy
RealGM
And1: 14,661

Post#95 » by Coxy » Wed Jul 15, 2015 10:10 pm

Vincent_Askew wrote:
xfactor99 wrote:People who have crunched the math say we have to dump Bogut/Livingston and one of Barnes or Iguodala. I'd be willing to do that

I'm sure you really had to think hard before concluding that as a Warriors fan a Bogut/Livingston & Barnes or Iggy would be a worthwhile tradeoff to get KD to play alongside Steph, Green and Klay.

Such a tough call.

It is a tough call right now. Don't be so suprised.

All 4 of those guys just played major roles in us WINNING THE CHAMPIONSHIP. KD's foot injury is a real thing and he may only come back to even 80% of his former self, no one knows yet. So do we gut our team and trade Bogut, our franchise C, Liv who is our major bench piece, Barnes our young starting 3 and/or our finals MVP do everything man for a limited KD maxed out?? Could set us back years if Durant isn't what he was.

As a GM, of course you have to think long and hard about this kind of decision. I'm guessing that you just read names and went into shocked fan mode, but it only takes 30 seconds of rational real world thinking to realize the world is grey, not black and white.
Vincent_Askew
Banned User
And1: 247

Post#96 » by Vincent_Askew » Thu Jul 16, 2015 1:07 am

Coxy wrote:
Vincent_Askew wrote:

Such a tough call.

It is a tough call right now. Don't be so suprised.

All 4 of those guys just played major roles in us WINNING THE CHAMPIONSHIP. KD's foot injury is a real thing and he may only come back to even 80% of his former self, no one knows yet. So do we gut our team and trade Bogut, our franchise C, Liv who is our major bench piece, Barnes our young starting 3 and/or our finals MVP do everything man for a limited KD maxed out?? Could set us back years if Durant isn't what he was.

As a GM, of course you have to think long and hard about this kind of decision. I'm guessing that you just read names and went into shocked fan mode, but it only takes 30 seconds of rational real world thinking to realize the world is grey, not black and white.

You're gonna have to excuse me for being so condescending, but I hate your guts as a Warriors fan......because I'm jealous of what you're built and want to have what you have :evil:

And it doesn't help that we could've had Kerr :banghead: who I think is the best coach in the NBA along with Pop
OptionZero
Starter
And1: 1,828

Post#97 » by OptionZero » Thu Jul 16, 2015 3:15 am

We should bear in mind that this hypothetical Durant decision will not take place until next off season.

By then Bogut will be a year older, which has to raise legitimate concerns given the wear and tear on his body that another season will impart with his injury history. Iguodala will also be a year older, but it will be the last year of his deal. He hasn't suffered nearly the sort of hurt that Bogut has so its less of a concern.

Livingston was fine all year, plus his salary is relatively small.

Barnes is the kicker. As your fourth option on offense in the starting lineup, his rookie deal salary is ideal. With an extension, he's going to be making $10M+ easily under the new CBA - will he be as attractive if he plays at his current level? I would say no.

So you aren't evaluating Bogut, Livingston, Iggy, and Barnes today versus Durant. You're evaluating those guys a year from now, PLUS seeing how Durant bounces back from a foot injury.

Our 2016 also cannot be traded, so if we needed to make a move we have one less chip available next offseason. (This is due to our 2017 pick being owed to the Jazz).

Q: What if Barnes just blows up next year and turns into Paul George pre-injury? or vice versa, he turns into Marvin Williams? Its a variable
whocurrz
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,454

Post#98 » by whocurrz » Thu Jul 16, 2015 4:05 am

Vincent_Askew wrote:
You're gonna have to excuse me for being so condescending, but I hate your guts as a Warriors fan......because I'm jealous of what you're built and want to have what you have :evil:

And it doesn't help that we could've had Kerr :banghead: who I think is the best coach in the NBA along with Pop

Don't be too down on yourself. I think your team is having a very underrated offseason. KP looks like he might be the best prospect outside of Anthony Davis in the last 5 years if he reaches his potential which is possible since right now his biggest obstacle is adding strength/weight. And Grant although 23 looks like he could be a very solid PG.
Jarret Jack: “I brought one of my best suits. But looking down at this jersey, it’s just a sense of pride I don’t think I’ve ever felt as a professional. … Nothing in my closet is better than what I have on now."
Quazza
Head Coach
And1: 1,727

Post#99 » by Quazza » Thu Jul 16, 2015 4:26 am

whocurrz wrote:
Vincent_Askew wrote:

Don't be too down on yourself. I think your team is having a very underrated offseason. KP looks like he might be the best prospect outside of Anthony Davis in the last 5 years if he reaches his potential which is possible since right now his biggest obstacle is adding strength/weight. And Grant although 23 looks like he could be a very solid PG.

wait......what?
KevinMcreynolds wrote:BIG DICK BOB DOIN WORK

KGdaBom wrote:You can go back and read every post I made. Never said one bad thing about one person until Coxy came up with his Vagiclean comment
whocurrz
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,454

Post#100 » by whocurrz » Thu Jul 16, 2015 5:17 am

Quazza wrote:
whocurrz wrote:
Vincent_Askew wrote:

wait......what?

Have you seen him play in summer league so far? The way the guy moves laterally, shoots and handles the ball are very impressive for a guy his size especially considering he's 19. Shooting stroke is smooth, quick and unblockable. Looks like a guard. Guys will have to respect and close out hard which should open up foul drawing opportunities or the ability to drive. He handles very well for a guy his size and I saw him stop on a dime and hit a nice bank shot that is again something few guys his size have ever been able to do. Defensively he moves well laterally, does a good job getting vertical and contesting/ blocking shots without having to leave his feet. Rebounding and post position on both sides of the ball will be a struggle but once he puts on weight should improve.

I don't think he will reach the level of AD as quick (3 years) but once his body matures this guy is going to be a nightmare. Those things I mentioned: ability to move laterally with great length, shooting stroke and good ball handling for the size are all things that make AD so special and KP looks like he has those tools as well aka it's not something that is a prayer of happening. And as far as my statement of one of the best prospects in the last 5 years I like his chances to add strength and improve rebounding while continuing to improve those other aspects more than I like Drummond developing great post game/ touch or Wiggins developing elite handles and playmaking ability he will need to be to truly dominate his position. Towns and Turner have shown tools that look like they could be very special too, but KPs shot and lateral quickness are just as impressive if not more due to his length and he has better perimeter skills. There's a reason well respected scouts like Clarence Gaines Jr call him a once in a lifetime prospect and all of the teams in the top 3 were also considering him and said he had the highest ceiling.
Jarret Jack: “I brought one of my best suits. But looking down at this jersey, it’s just a sense of pride I don’t think I’ve ever felt as a professional. … Nothing in my closet is better than what I have on now."

Return to Golden State Warriors