ImageImageImageImageImage

83-20..Championship....Can they get better?

Moderators: Chris Porter's Hair, floppymoose, Sleepy51

Mylie10
RealGM
And1: 9,612

Post#1 » by Mylie10 » Thu Jul 30, 2015 6:01 pm

When Kerr first got hired, someone asked him if the Warriors will be better than how well the Jackson lead teams did. He answered by saying that not every year will appear to be better or worse. The key is getting into the dance every year, and then seeing how far you can take it.

Injuries, player personal, other teams improving or getting worse. Lots of things factor into the final outcomes of each season. While we'd like to think the Warriors will improve....Can they?.....It would be difficult to top the season they just had. Could they win another Title? I hope so, and have them as slight favorites, but until its done, it aint' done. We shall see, so they say.

But I do feel that there are things that point to the Warriors getting better, even if they don't reach the lofty status, their numbers and record last season would indicate.

1.) Further self improvement by individual players. Klay and Curry took their games to new heights last season.

Klay appears to be in the process of improving his game even more. He's been an iron man so far in his career, and lets hope that continues. I look for him to continue to improve his floor game.

Draymond needs to improve his shooting wonders. He's very well rounded, but an improved stroke from 3 point range would do numbers for his overall offensive game.

Barnes is working hard, by all accounts, and he needs to continue to improve his shooting numbers. There was a recent comparison to Demare Carroll....while Carroll is the better player on both sides of the ball, its no knock on Barnes that he is a tick or two below Carroll. Barnes ranked highly in 3 point %, and also in true shooting % across the league. Carroll was ranked higher, but Barnes was in the top 20 in several categories. If he can continue to improve, or maintain a better consistency, and then continue to play stronger defense, then he's on a good track.

Festus Ezeli is about to take a big step forward. It took a while for Steve Kerr to value and see for his own eyes what Ezeli can do as a player. Props to Kerr, because on its surface, Ezeli doesn't appear to be doing much, but when you really watch him play, you see the length and how that impacts the defensive side of the ball. He changes many more shots than he blocks, and as he improves his offensive game, he adds a wrinkle to the offense as a guy who can make the backboard shot on occasion. You can tell he's been working hard on his post moves and although they're a bit mechanical at times, they can be effective because no one can get to his hook to block it. Kerr found some solace in how Festus can raise the level, by playing him extremely important minutes in the Finals. That should have Festus believing that if he continues to work hard, he'll be this teams starting center long term.

2.) Keeping the core together can't be downplayed. When you hear the Warriors front office talk about patterning themselves after the Spurs, a very important part of that is keeping a solid unit together in order for those players to know each others tendencies, and also be able to execute a game plan to a T. The Warriors brought back the same core from last season and only letting David Lee go, who was playing minimal minutes anyhow. Actually when Lee came back from injury, it kind of de-railed Mo Speights and the fabulous first half of the season he had.

3.) Expanding the playbook is something that Kerr said he couldn't do last year. He said they kind of dumbed things down and focus on not turning the ball over early in last season. So, presumably the playbook can be and should be expanded. With another season together, they should be able to accomplish a bit more in training camp this season.

4.) Wrinkles.....Bogut has been mentioned in another thread about his disappearing post game. No doubt the dude is a complete stud on defense. One of the smartest defenders I've ever watched play. But he needs to be more selfish and really try to get somewhat of a post game going. A bit more selfishness from him in the regular season, could pay off huge come Playoff time. The team as a whole, and especially Steph and Klay, and Barnes need to really be a bit more conscious of getting, or trying to get to the free throw line. They can improve on FT attempts by even a slight bit is huge based on the FT%'s.

5.) McAdoo, Looney, and a shooter. We have no idea what will happen with this group. I would assume, that mop up duties are gonna be hot and heavy for these guys. McAdoo can pick up a few minutes as an energy small ball center. His game is put backs and using length, so when he's in there, i'd look for him to be bringing all kind of energy and if he isn't, then we move on.
Looney on the other hand might be spending lots of time in the D-league. Often going back and forth from Santa Cruz to Oakland. But if McAdoo isn't really bringing much, then i'd hope they try and get the young rookie some minutes to see how he meshes with some of the teams main dudes. Looking forward to training camp, for just this reason.

Overall it appears the Warriors will improve on a historic season...a;though it will be nuanced and mostly known only to the diehard fans who pay attention. Because matching that record will be really tough to do.
Khoee wrote “
Mav_Carter wrote: my list doesn't matter...I'm pretty much wrong on everything...
californiadude
Sixth Man
And1: 218

Post#2 » by californiadude » Thu Jul 30, 2015 8:01 pm

I think you pretty much hit the nail on the head and I agree with a lot of what you're saying.

Obviously it can't get better than this year from a bird's eye view perspective.

However I do agree there are some obvious places for internel growth and this roster has no means run it's course.

This is a bit of a make it or break it year for Barnes imo. I think this year will either confirm he's a above average role player or, he'll break out in a big way becoming that reliable third scoring option we need.

Ezeli is the guy everyone here has high hopes for. He's always had the tools but if the coaching staff can up his sophistication on the defensive end it could really pay dividends. He has the potential to give the Ws the flexibility to rest Bogs on back to backs and keep his minute counter down. That'd be a big win for Boguts health imo.

I think you can lump Klay and Draymond into one group. Both need to be more agressiveand finish at the rim with better efficiency (Dray especially in that regard). Klay has the tools to be a 25 point scorer in the nba if he ups his driving game.
Bandito
Pro Prospect
And1: 91

Re: 83-20..Championship....Can they get better? 

Post#3 » by Bandito » Thu Jul 30, 2015 8:33 pm

Summed it up pretty well. I expect progression from most of the players, and continuity in the system should equate to better on court chemistry. If the key guys stay healthy as they did in 14/15, I think a #1 seed and home court throughout the postseason is a realistic expectation. This looks to legitimately be the birth of a dynasty.
ChuckDurn
Assistant Coach
And1: 789

Post#4 » by ChuckDurn » Thu Jul 30, 2015 8:53 pm

Good summary. One other thing I'd note - because of national team commitments, Curry and Klay's (in particular) really got very little time off last summer. It's only natural that they were gassed by the end of the long playoff run. Klay's consistency was really poor in the playoffs, and I can't reject fatigue as a factor. Getting time away from basketball this summer, or at least having far less of it, should be a help for the upcoming season.

Sent from my iPad using RealGM Forums
NBAfan3024
RealGM
And1: 7,035

Post#5 » by NBAfan3024 » Fri Jul 31, 2015 2:23 am

likewise i'm excited to see the development of Festus this season.
Left*My*Heart
RealGM
And1: 641

Post#6 » by Left*My*Heart » Fri Jul 31, 2015 12:39 pm

Great post Mylie.

I think the team will be improved just from the fact that you have the core returning for another season. The triangle offense, and I do know that Kerr is running a hybrid triangle, the Kerr; takes a couple of years to learn. As Mylie stated, Kerr was not able to use his play book and had to dumb things down. We should see an already highly efficient offense, become that much better.

Our defense is predicated on our offense, so I expect more improvement in that area as well.

A lot has to be said for the "Been There Done That" statement. The entire team went from very little playoff experience to champions and that doesn't happen very often.
Warriorfan
RealGM
And1: 2,700

Post#7 » by Warriorfan » Fri Jul 31, 2015 2:22 pm

Many great pts.

My questions with more fame (distractions) and bigger contracts will the players have the same defensive intensity and self sacrafice.

A key contibuter like Speights has been up and down in his play plus has a last chance to get paid.

How about the injury bug.

Teams will be gunning for the champs.

The arms race that is the Western Conf got tougher at the top .
East Bay Sports
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,559

Post#8 » by East Bay Sports » Fri Jul 31, 2015 2:36 pm

We will be in the mix for another championship. I cannot wait for the season
Mylie10
RealGM

Post#9 » by Mylie10 » Fri Jul 31, 2015 3:56 pm

Thanks Heart.

I think the motivation is there. Draymond has been defending their championship in social media and you hear talk around the League of the asterisk and now that the Spurs are the best team in the League. OKC if healthy.....The Clippers improved their bench with two psychos...lol

I think there is plenty of motivation with these guys, and now they know what it takes to get it done.
Khoee wrote “
Mav_Carter wrote: my list doesn't matter...I'm pretty much wrong on everything...
Venture_hoopsta
Ballboy
And1: 0

Post#10 » by Venture_hoopsta » Fri Jul 31, 2015 7:09 pm

One of the biggest benefits of keeping the core together and expanding the playbook is a hot start that can be expected. The pre-season for most teams that have new coaches, players or system don't have enough time to get proficient They start the season with pretty ragged play. Warriors can jump a lot of the West in this regard. my$.02
floppymoose
Senior Mod - Warriors
Senior Mod - Warriors
And1: 15,798

Post#11 » by floppymoose » Fri Jul 31, 2015 7:58 pm

I suspect last season was the best GSW season I'll ever see. It's possible to have a stronger team, but we had very good health. That doesn't happen often.
Onus
RealGM
And1: 5,263

Post#12 » by Onus » Fri Jul 31, 2015 9:12 pm

Venture_hoopsta wrote:One of the biggest benefits of keeping the core together and expanding the playbook is a hot start that can be expected. The pre-season for most teams that have new coaches, players or system don't have enough time to get proficient They start the season with pretty ragged play. Warriors can jump a lot of the West in this regard. my$.02

Which is odd to say since last year we started something like 20-2 ...

floppymoose wrote:I suspect last season was the best GSW season I'll ever see. It's possible to have a stronger team, but we had very good health. That doesn't happen often.

I want to say last season most likely is the pinnacle, I mean 67 wins, 83-20 overall NBA title, is damn impressive, historic even. Then on the other hand, it was only the first year in a new system with a new coaching staff, guys were trying to find their roles and where they fit (Lee coming back threw things off), we rested guys down the stretch, our core is damn young outside of Iguodala and Bogut that they should still be improving and I'm slightly optimistic about having an even better season, even though it may seem unrealistic.
Most 4th Quarter Points in Final since 1991
1995 Shaquille O'Neal 11.5
2000 Shaquille O'Neal 11.5 (61.1% TS)
2015 Stephen Curry 10.8 (75.1% TS)
1997 Michael Jordan 10.7 (55.1% TS)
1998 Michael Jordan 10.6 (50.6% TS)
2011 Dirk Nowitzki 10.3 (68.0% TS)
DreDay
General Manager
And1: 3,212

Post#13 » by DreDay » Fri Jul 31, 2015 11:11 pm

floppymoose wrote:I suspect last season was the best GSW season I'll ever see. It's possible to have a stronger team, but we had very good health. That doesn't happen often.

Exactly. Though I think we can win 60 this year and still be better than last year. Unlikely we will ever top 83 total wins, that's 3rd all time but we can improve on the court.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Money_
Rookie
And1: 224

Post#14 » by Money_ » Sat Aug 1, 2015 3:00 pm

Great post Mylie!

I think it's possible that they improve as a team despite possibly not improving upon their win loss record.

It's all about getting into the playoffs relatively healthy and getting the wins then.

I like our chances.
lars_rosenberg
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,741

Post#15 » by lars_rosenberg » Sat Aug 1, 2015 3:25 pm

I don't think we'll improve the rs record, but we can be a lot better in the playoffs thanks to the experience and added chemistry.
The Hack
Rookie
And1: 269

Post#16 » by The Hack » Sat Aug 1, 2015 3:28 pm

I love the fact that they got very little credit for winning the trophy....it was always about what the other team did wrong or what injured players they had. I think that, plus the experience of Kerr will help them play with a chip on their shoulder to prove it was no fluke.
I look for Draymond to make a huge leap offensively this year. When he fakes the 3, he has about 15 ft of space before he crashes into somebody. They finally had him work on a flip shot before the defense can get to him and i think that shot will add 6-8 pts a game for him. Cant wait to see what other improvements they make as a team
Mylie10
RealGM

Post#17 » by Mylie10 » Sat Aug 1, 2015 3:29 pm

Obviously it's still important to try and get the highest seed you can, but maintaining health and playing well is the key.
Khoee wrote “
NBAfan3024
RealGM
And1: 7,035

Re: Re: 83-20..Championship....Can they get better? 

Post#18 » by NBAfan3024 » Sat Aug 1, 2015 6:25 pm

Mylie10 wrote:Thanks Heart.

I think the motivation is there. Draymond has been defending their championship in social media and you hear talk around the League of the asterisk and now that the Spurs are the best team in the League. OKC if healthy.....The Clippers improved their bench with two psychos...lol

I think there is plenty of motivation with these guys, and now they know what it takes to get it done.
agreed don't think there will be a letdown
shazam_guy
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,136

Post#19 » by shazam_guy » Wed Aug 12, 2015 2:33 am

We also caught people by surprise last year -- it wasn't for months that we became the team everyone wanted to beat. So matching the record may be tough. But this is a good team, no fluke, with the possibility of more Finals appearances and even more championships. The team is young, the bench is tough, and the coaching seems to be solid. This, my friends, is Fat City. I've never known it as a Warrior's fan.
Left*My*Heart
RealGM
And1: 641

Post#20 » by Left*My*Heart » Wed Aug 12, 2015 1:24 pm

I think the Warriors can definitely play better. The amazing start last season was done with Festus not being 100% and Lee being out. If the team remain healthy they will start the season deeper than last season. Keeping minutes down for the starters is huge as the season progresses. I expect improvement from all 4 starters, with Bogut remaining consistent.

From top to bottom, I don't think the West is as good as last season. Portland and Dallas,both playoff teams last season are going to struggle to make it this season. The Suns aren't as good as they were either. Jazz have improved but missing Exum for the season is going to hurt.

OKC if healthy improves just by that fact. Clippers, I'm not sure if they are actually better and I still think there is a pretty big chemistry issue going on. Spurs are better and they will be interesting to see how they mesh. Houston should be better, but I think the playoffs keyed us on how to play small ball against them. Memphis is better or held ground and I think small ball should work against them as well. Pelicans will be better with coaching and another year of maturity for the Brow.

I think Denver, Sac, Minny and Lakers will all be teams you can't go to sleep on and probably all have improved, but I don't think they make up for Dallas, Portland and Phoenix. You had 9 possible 10 teams that arguable had a solid shot at the playoffs last season. This season I think it's 7.

Return to Golden State Warriors