Re: Trade announced: Gerald Wallace for Jason Thompson 

Post#81 » by NBAfan3024 » Sat Aug 1, 2015 9:25 am

Glad we have a guy who can replace what lee brought if needed
lars_rosenberg
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,741

Post#82 » by lars_rosenberg » Sat Aug 1, 2015 11:45 am

likashing wrote:Like others have mentioned, Kerr will have options. In the past season, playing small worked for us, but we had no option to play big. Bogut+Speights or Bogut+Lee didn't work. Bogut+HB+Green vs Gasol+Z-bo+Allen worked, but Grizzlies added Matt Barnes so we can't put Bogut on Matt Barnes if we see them in the playoffs again. We can play Bogut+Thompson+Green for 5-10 minutes depending on matchup and it is a big front line that can bang.

Options.

Yeah that's very important and having JT makes me feel more comfortable.
Steph 4 3
Junior
And1: 23

Post#83 » by Steph 4 3 » Sat Aug 1, 2015 1:50 pm

likashing wrote:I like this trade a lot. I have always thought Jason Thompson is hurt by being with the Kings. He could some defense and rebound a bit. He will greatly benefit by being in a system. I see a breakout year from him!

I am just afraid of how this affects Mo Buckets' head. He sucked and lost confidence under The Caterpillar. He flourished under Kerr when he was given un-conditional trust and the green light, at least pre-ASB. With JT, Mo will be under the microscope again and if his shots aren't falling or if he isn't active on defensive, Ezeli and JT will be waiting on the sidelines to get his minutes. It is Ezeli's contract year and effectively JT's contract year as well because he is only partially guaranteed after next season. I don't see Mo Buckets playing well under this environment.

Breakout year. Completely redefines who he is as a player. :D

After watching Lee all year long I'm thinking Kerr & co are very good at keeping players confidence at a high level while keeping their roles well defined.

Prediction: Mo Buckets will be better than last year and so will JT.
Bball0000
Bench Warmer
And1: 361

Post#84 » by Bball0000 » Sat Aug 1, 2015 2:26 pm

JT is a lot worse than D Lee on offense. But can't be mad at this trade though if it saves money n only lose Wallace - who should retire. I'm just not expecting much from JT, Speights will probably get more minutes.
dorkestra
RealGM
And1: 12,674

Post#85 » by dorkestra » Sat Aug 1, 2015 2:34 pm

I was actually happy to have JT back in Philly, only he never even played a game for us! Hope he does well for you guys.
folks who quote what I wrote get choked
old rem
RealGM
And1: 1,080

Post#86 » by old rem » Sat Aug 1, 2015 4:54 pm

californiadude wrote:I'm pretty sure JT's second year is only partially guaranteed. This makes a lot of sense...they cut the tax down big time and get a semi-useful player while they're at it. Heck of a move by the FO.

Sent from my iPad using RealGM Forums
Agree. I liked Thompson... and Wallace seemed finished. We seem to save $ this year.. and we have a usable guy.
CENSORED... No comment.
NBAfan3024
RealGM
And1: 7,035

Post#87 » by NBAfan3024 » Sat Aug 1, 2015 6:24 pm

Surprised that Thompson had a 20/20 game last season..was against clippers
floppymoose
Senior Mod - Warriors
Senior Mod - Warriors
And1: 15,798

Post#88 » by floppymoose » Sat Aug 1, 2015 7:26 pm

"Part Saquatch - The Maurice Speights Thread" is locked and loaded for next season.
benchmobbin02
Veteran
And1: 364

Post#89 » by benchmobbin02 » Sat Aug 1, 2015 11:03 pm

Bball0000 wrote:JT is a lot worse than D Lee on offense. But can't be mad at this trade though if it saves money n only lose Wallace - who should retire. I'm just not expecting much from JT, Speights will probably get more minutes.

Very true Bball0000. D Lee was far more accomplished on offense. It's also best to keep your expectations for JT low so you're not waking up 50 games into the season to the fact he is avg in every way. Not bad but not good. I think need will determine who plays more. If GSW needs scoring with the splash brothers on the bench, they tab Speights. If they need an active big who can run, reb and sub for Draymond in the small ball sets it's JT. Not bad to have options.

Wallace won't retire as long as he is getting game checks equaling $10,105,855 and only has to play 10 mins a game at the most. I mean, he is the highest paid player on the 6ers (besides Mcgee's 12mil in dead money :noway: ).
MAKE IT MAKE SENSE!
frenchfan
Sophomore
And1: 20

Post#90 » by frenchfan » Sat Aug 1, 2015 11:17 pm

Great job , one more piece for Repeat 8-)
oh my god! warriors are here!
Mamba Mentality
RealGM
And1: 19,536

Re: Re: 

Post#91 » by Mamba Mentality » Sat Aug 1, 2015 11:49 pm

Mylie10 wrote:
The Regime wrote:
Bandito wrote:
No way is he passing Ezeli, or Speights for that matter. You might be right that he is injury insurance for the center position, considering Bogut, Ezeli, and Speights have all had their issues.

Just another big that gives us another look, IMO. He's most likely here for his rebounding.

I think Speights could be the odd man out on most nights. Just don't think he's consistent enough to be a everyday rotation player. Let's not forget that JT was a longtime starter for the Kings (regardless of how bad they were) so he certainly is talented enough to beat out guys that may already have a niche on this team.

No......Speights was solid in the rotation last season and was one of our best players in the first half of last season. When we started the season 20-2, we had no David Lee and no Ezeli both out because of injury. Once Lee came back, it really effed up the awesome rhythm Speights was in.

And Speights played almost exclusively at center last season. I doubt JT jumps him in the rotation. Plus Speights has synergy with Livingston.

JT is there for insurance.

I'll give you the chemistry part, but Speights seemingly grew out of favor with Kerr as the season progressed and it's not surprising because he's a pretty one dimensional player. When he hits on of his shooting slumps, it gets ugly.

JT brings far more to the table. I personally think the backup minutes are up for grabs. Speights might be a slight frontrunner right now, but he definitely shouldn't take his role for granted.
Warriorfan
RealGM
And1: 2,700

Post#92 » by Warriorfan » Sun Aug 2, 2015 12:38 am

I like getting Thompson as Bogut insurance.

I really think Speights will be shipped out at the deadline if Looney shows versatility because the 5th big should be young.

PF Green ,Barnes ,Jason Thompson, Mc Adoo, Looney
C Bogut, Ezelli, Green, Thompson , Mc Adoo ,
bakesale
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,776

Trade announced: Gerald Wallace for Jason Thompson 

Post#93 » by bakesale » Sun Aug 2, 2015 2:06 am

So now we have green, Speights, Mcadoo, Looney and Jason Thompson at pf.
Meanwhile we lost Justin holiday an ever improving 3 and d sg who was serviceable off the bench and kept an ageing Barbosa instead...

Not a horrible result, but could've been better...

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
ChuckDurn
Assistant Coach
And1: 789

Post#94 » by ChuckDurn » Sun Aug 2, 2015 2:43 am

bakesale wrote:So now we have green, Speights, Mcadoo, Looney and Jason Thompson at pf.
Meanwhile we lost Justin holiday an ever improving 3 and d sg who was serviceable off the bench and kept an ageing Barbosa instead...

Holiday was 26, and what evidence do you have of improvement from him? The Warriors signed Ian Clark to compete with Barbosa - Clark has a reputation of being a much more accurate shooter than Holiday ever has been. So basically it's the same situation as last year - Barbosa and a young guy (Holiday in 2014, Clark in 2015).

Mylie10
RealGM
And1: 9,612

Post#95 » by Mylie10 » Sun Aug 2, 2015 5:32 am

lars_rosenberg wrote:
likashing wrote:Like others have mentioned, Kerr will have options. In the past season, playing small worked for us, but we had no option to play big. Bogut+Speights or Bogut+Lee didn't work. Bogut+HB+Green vs Gasol+Z-bo+Allen worked, but Grizzlies added Matt Barnes so we can't put Bogut on Matt Barnes if we see them in the playoffs again. We can play Bogut+Thompson+Green for 5-10 minutes depending on matchup and it is a big front line that can bang.

Options.

Actually Kerr maintained playing big for most of the season. It surprised me because I kept expecting him to go to small ball more often. He always had a center on the floor and Green played most of his minutes at power forward. It wasn't until matchups in the Playoffs and Finals that he resorted to full on smallball.
Khoee wrote “
Mav_Carter wrote: my list doesn't matter...I'm pretty much wrong on everything...
Mylie10
RealGM

Re: Re: 

Post#96 » by Mylie10 » Sun Aug 2, 2015 5:55 am

The Regime wrote:
Mylie10 wrote:
The Regime wrote:
I think Speights could be the odd man out on most nights. Just don't think he's consistent enough to be a everyday rotation player. Let's not forget that JT was a longtime starter for the Kings (regardless of how bad they were) so he certainly is talented enough to beat out guys that may already have a niche on this team.

No......Speights was solid in the rotation last season and was one of our best players in the first half of last season. When we started the season 20-2, we had no David Lee and no Ezeli both out because of injury. Once Lee came back, it really effed up the awesome rhythm Speights was in.

And Speights played almost exclusively at center last season. I doubt JT jumps him in the rotation. Plus Speights has synergy with Livingston.

JT is there for insurance.

I'll give you the chemistry part, but Speights seemingly grew out of favor with Kerr as the season progressed and it's not surprising because he's a pretty one dimensional player. When he hits on of his shooting slumps, it gets ugly.

JT brings far more to the table. I personally think the backup minutes are up for grabs. Speights might be a slight frontrunner right now, but he definitely shouldn't take his role for granted.

You are over valuing Jason Thompson a bit and under valuing what Speights brought to the team.

Jason Thompson is average in every way. Nice piece to have when you're talking 11th man.

Speights didn't so much as fall out of favor as much as it was that both David Lee and Festus Ezeli got healthy. So it was imperative that Kerr got those minutes needed to be able to contribute something come playoff time. This effed with Speights and the solid rythm he was in.

And by the way Speights' points per minute were off the charts good, and he maintains a solid rebound per minute rate. Probably better than JTS rebound per minute rate, but I haven't looked it up. Also while Speights isn't a great defender, he wasn't horrible either. But he often relies on taking charges instead of challenging shots. He did a good job af challenging and shot blocking early in the season, and then faded into the taking charges stance.

But I've been hard on Speights in the padt, but dude stepped up last year and carved out a nice niche. Part of moving Lee, imo, is that it allows Mo to get that groove back.
Khoee wrote “
Mav_Carter wrote: my list doesn't matter...I'm pretty much wrong on everything...
lars_rosenberg
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,741

Post#97 » by lars_rosenberg » Sun Aug 2, 2015 10:26 am

Mylie10 wrote:
lars_rosenberg wrote:

Options.

Actually Kerr maintained playing big for most of the season. It surprised me because I kept expecting him to go to small ball more often. He always had a center on the floor and Green played most of his minutes at power forward. It wasn't until matchups in the Playoffs and Finals that he resorted to full on smallball.

Probably he didn't go small very often because it's tiring for the players, especially for Green who has to guard a much bigger and stronger player, and in the RS you want to save energy. We were winning easily anyway so there was no need to do it.
In the playoffs it has become a necessity.
bakesale
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,776

Post#98 » by bakesale » Sun Aug 2, 2015 10:29 am

ChuckDurn wrote:
bakesale wrote:So now we have green, Speights, Mcadoo, Looney and Jason Thompson at pf.

Holiday was 26, and what evidence do you have of improvement from him? The Warriors signed Ian Clark to compete with Barbosa - Clark has a reputation of being a much more accurate shooter than Holiday ever has been. So basically it's the same situation as last year - Barbosa and a young guy (Holiday in 2014, Clark in 2015).

I watched every game holiday played for the warriors, I base my comments on my observation, that for a while there it seemed as though he would get the first sg off the bench but credit to Barbosa he worked his ass off to get court time, Kerr saw this and also had a soft spot for him from his Phoenix days and so Barbosa won out but I'm thinking Barbosa can only keep this up a little while longer...
Anyway I hope that Clark guy is as good as you say

Mylie10
RealGM

Post#99 » by Mylie10 » Sun Aug 2, 2015 7:07 pm

Some fyi on Speights versus J Thompson.

Speights per 36 minutes - 23.6 points and 9.7 rebounds.
Thompson per 36 - 8.9 points and 9.6 rebounds.

And their d isn't as big a difference as many would like to tout. Just sayin.....Speights is being under valued a bit to much in these discussions.
Khoee wrote “
ChuckDurn
Assistant Coach
And1: 789

Post#100 » by ChuckDurn » Sun Aug 2, 2015 7:34 pm

bakesale wrote:
ChuckDurn wrote:

I watched every game holiday played for the warriors, I base my comments on my observation, that for a while there it seemed as though he would get the first sg off the bench but credit to Barbosa he worked his ass off to get court time, Kerr saw this and also had a soft spot for him from his Phoenix days and so Barbosa won out but I'm thinking Barbosa can only keep this up a little while longer...
Anyway I hope that Clark guy is as good as you say

I'm not saying Clark is great.... Just that he is a better 3-point shooter than Holiday, and that Holiday was a borderline D-League/NBA player who is at an age that probably isn't going to lead to more improvement. Don't read more into my comments than that.

Return to Golden State Warriors