ImageImageImageImageImage

Starting 5 opening day

Moderators: Chris Porter's Hair, floppymoose, Sleepy51

cladden
Analyst
And1: 378

Starting 5 opening day 

Post#1 » by cladden » Sun Aug 2, 2015 6:38 am

Do you guys think Bogut is out of the starting five or are we back to normal with Curry, Klay, HB, Draymond and Bogut?

For what it's worth (and it's not much) NBA 2K has made Green starting center :-)
Coxy
RealGM
And1: 14,661

Re: Starting 5 opening day 

Post#2 » by Coxy » Sun Aug 2, 2015 7:04 am

Curry / Livingston
Klay / Barbaro
Barnes / Iguadala
Draymond / Speights
Bogut / Ezeli / Thompson
Jay 20
Sixth Man
And1: 1,152

Post#3 » by Jay 20 » Sun Aug 2, 2015 1:06 pm

I thought Steve Kerr already said in an interview he was going back to what won us 67 games in the regular season?

We should start Bogut and if need be play small ball just like the Finals.
East Bay Sports
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,559

Post#4 » by East Bay Sports » Sun Aug 2, 2015 4:24 pm

lol @ the thought of Bogut not starting
lars_rosenberg
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,741

Post#5 » by lars_rosenberg » Sun Aug 2, 2015 6:58 pm

Bogut wil start, 99.9% chances (barring injuries)
likashing
Head Coach
And1: 1,959

Post#6 » by likashing » Sun Aug 2, 2015 10:44 pm

Bogut is the starter but will average about 20-23 minutes with the emergence of Ezeli and we need to play JT and Speights.

I don't think Green will get many minutes at C unless the matchup calls for it.
Mark Jackson wrote:Playoff preparation is overrated... I’m going to get my rest. I’m not going to grow old and be stressed out and get gray hair.
Plossum
General Manager
And1: 4,896

Post#7 » by Plossum » Mon Aug 3, 2015 1:17 pm

Small ball isn't sustainable long-term. Dray and the team in general would wear down too quickly if we small ball too much. It's good for the Playoffs and closing the odd close regular season game. I doubt we'll change too much.
#LockUpChuck
NBAfan3024
RealGM
And1: 7,035

Post#8 » by NBAfan3024 » Wed Aug 5, 2015 5:35 am

will be the same as the regular season
SinceGatlingWasARookie
RealGM
And1: 2,688

Post#9 » by SinceGatlingWasARookie » Sat Aug 8, 2015 10:34 am

Coxy wrote:Curry / Livingston
Klay / Barbaro
Barnes / Iguadala
Draymond / Speights
Bogut / Ezeli / Thompson

If Speights and Thompson are on the floor together at 4 and 5 who defends the power forwards and who defends the centers? The coacking staff apparently did not think Speights was quick enough to play power forward in the Warriors system and preferred giving Barnes the back up power forward minutes. Is Tompson any quicker than Speights?
Coxy
RealGM
And1: 14,661

Post#10 » by Coxy » Sat Aug 8, 2015 11:49 pm

SinceGatlingWasARookie wrote:
Klay / Barbaro
Barnes / Iguadala
Draymond / Speights
Bogut / Ezeli / Thompson

If Speights and Thompson are on the floor together at 4 and 5 who defends the power forwards and who defends the centers? The coacking staff apparently did not think Speights was quick enough to play power forward in the Warriors system and preferred giving Barnes the back up power forward minutes. Is Tompson any quicker than Speights?

Well, to be more specific then.

Curry / Livingston
Klay / Barbaro / Clark
Barnes / Iguadala / Livingston
Draymond / Barnes / Iguadala / Speights
Bogut / Ezeli / Speights / Thompson

Thompson is garbage time at this point.
ChuckDurn
Assistant Coach
And1: 789

Starting 5 opening day 

Post#11 » by ChuckDurn » Sun Aug 9, 2015 6:41 am

SinceGatlingWasARookie wrote:
Klay / Barbaro
Barnes / Iguadala
Draymond / Speights
Bogut / Ezeli / Thompson

Thompson is much quicker than Speights, and can play PF just fine. That's primarily what he played in Sacramento, where he had a positive defensive rating.

Sent from my iPad using RealGM Forums
DreDay
General Manager
And1: 3,212

Post#12 » by DreDay » Sun Aug 9, 2015 7:11 am

Kerr ain't benching Bogut for the regular season. Small-ball is our adjustment and deadly weapon, not our starting lineup during the regular season.
Left*My*Heart
RealGM
And1: 641

Post#13 » by Left*My*Heart » Thu Aug 20, 2015 1:11 pm

Same starting 5 as last season. I think Kerr will find minutes for Thompson, because of his work ethic. Kerr likes to reward the bench guys for their practices and putting in their work. He will be another weapon in Kerr's arsenal.

I think all of the bigs get their minutes cut some, which should be a good thing come playoff time. Games where Lee didn't play last season, will be games Thompson will, especially if it is based off of interior defense. Thompson's playing time IMO will be based off his ability to defend out to the three point line, where he struggles and his ability to efficiently hit the mid range jumper(another area he has struggled of late). Defense was Lee's primary issue not getting playing time, however Thompson is a much better defender inside. If Thompson can carve out 10 or so minutes a game, playing good defense, picking up a few rebounds and scoring with efficiency, he will have a positive impact when he is on the floor. Being the 5h or so big on a playoff team isn't a bad thing when it's Thompson, who has started 405 out of 541 games played. Not bad for a guy Sacramento tried to replace every year.

I'm not advocating Thompson should be elevated over anyone at this juncture. Speights will get the nod over him at PF, because of his ability to spread the floor on the offensive end. Festus is the better rim protector, but I'm not sure he is the overall better interior defender over Thompson. I think Thompson has better hands than Festus as well, for finishing around the rim, however Festus has surprisingly made a lot of progress in this area. Thompson is at the prime of his career, while Festus is a couple of seasons away.

Another thing I like about Thompson being on this team, is how he is going to push everyone not named Green and Bogut for minutes. There is competition for playing time for the bench bigs and it is going to be interesting.
NBAfan3024
RealGM
And1: 7,035

Post#14 » by NBAfan3024 » Thu Aug 20, 2015 3:48 pm

DreDay wrote:Kerr ain't benching Bogut for the regular season. Small-ball is our adjustment and deadly weapon, not our starting lineup during the regular season.

If Festus has improved we can rest Bogut alot more.
azwfan
RealGM
And1: 3,745

Post#15 » by azwfan » Thu Aug 20, 2015 6:26 pm

I would love for Festus to beat out Bogut for the starting job but i dont see it happening without injury (and obviously don't want that).
LF75 wrote: It was a dumb idea..And yes I'm a dick.
watch1958
General Manager
And1: 1,172

Post#16 » by watch1958 » Thu Aug 20, 2015 6:52 pm

If Ezeli actually improved his game enough to push Bogut for a starting job, that would be a great problem to have.
This movie is like the Rocky Horror Picture Show where everyone knows all the lines.
azwfan
RealGM
And1: 3,745

Post#17 » by azwfan » Thu Aug 20, 2015 7:57 pm

watch1958 wrote:If Ezeli actually improved his game enough to push Bogut for a starting job, that would be a great problem to have.

I forgot to mention that I'd prefer to have Ezeli extended prior to him pushing Bogut. haha
LF75 wrote: It was a dumb idea..And yes I'm a dick.
Mylie10
RealGM
And1: 9,612

Post#18 » by Mylie10 » Thu Aug 20, 2015 9:47 pm

azwfan wrote:
watch1958 wrote:If Ezeli actually improved his game enough to push Bogut for a starting job, that would be a great problem to have.

I forgot to mention that I'd prefer to have Ezeli extended prior to him pushing Bogut. haha

Yeah same here.

Will be interesting to see how they handle things, because they extended Klay in September last year, or something like that. i wonder if they extend both Barnes and Ezeli then. I would definitely try and get Ezeli on the cheap, cause his number could really balloon with the cap rise.

While Barnes may rise as well, I also think his number is already fairly high. If they extend him early it will be because he told his agent to shut the eff up and get it done.
Khoee wrote “
Mav_Carter wrote: my list doesn't matter...I'm pretty much wrong on everything...
Left*My*Heart
RealGM
And1: 641

Post#19 » by Left*My*Heart » Tue Aug 25, 2015 1:19 pm

With the idea Bogut heads to the bench for small ball, I keep hearing if Bogut doesn't start, it's because of Festus and not Kerr wanting to play small ball. I am being told by a few friends that Festus has made huge strides in his game and his finals performance is just the a glimpse of what he can do.

I have heard that Barnes is working out again with West this summer. West has taken Barnes under his wing and that apparently started before we drafted him.

Unless Bogut is hurt, I still think its the same starting 5.
Money_
Rookie
And1: 224

Post#20 » by Money_ » Tue Aug 25, 2015 7:24 pm

If Festus is stepping up, then it makes sense (if we're winning), to start Bogut but give Festus a bunch of minutes.
Just like Barnes, Iggy situation last year. Develop the younger player while protecting/pacing the older asset from injury/fatigue.

Return to Golden State Warriors